Carnival vs. NCL

Beeslilmama

NCL is having some really good booking perks right now and it actually lured me to check out the site. Can some experienced cruisers give me the difference between the two lines? I am 38 if that helps and cruise usually with my 36 y/o sister. We aren't typically party people, but we love exploring ports and having a few drinks. We like comedians and entertainment. So any help would be great! Thanks!

While I haven't sailed on Carnival yet (looking at the Vista for 2017), I am 38 and I have been on NCL Epic and going on the Escape in April. The entertainment is so good on the newer NCL ships. Lots of nighttime outdoor dance parties at Spice H20 on the Aft deck of the ship, comedians, broadway-type shows, crowd participation shows, trivias, etc.

You'll never be bored!

NCL is having some really good booking perks right now and it actually lured me to check out the site. Can some experienced cruisers give me the difference between the two lines? I am 38 if that helps and cruise usually with my 36 y/o sister. We aren't typically party people, but we love exploring ports and having a few drinks. We like comedians and entertainment. So any help would be great! Thanks!

Overall I would say that NCL is a little better, but there are a lot of mine fields you have to beware of- for example they will give you the beverage package as a perk and then charge you an 18% gratuity based on the cost of the package normally. When I priced our last cruise NCL came out $800 more than CCL and even with a perk it wasn't worth it to me as I don't think NCL is that much better than CCL, just a little better.

While I haven't sailed on Carnival yet (looking at the Vista for 2017), I am 38 and I have been on NCL Epic and going on the Escape in April. The entertainment is so good on the newer NCL ships. Lots of nighttime outdoor dance parties at Spice H20 on the Aft deck of the ship, comedians, broadway-type shows, crowd participation shows, trivias, etc.

You'll never be bored!

Epic is actually one of the ships I was looking at. Could you tell me a little bit more about it?

90% of past cruisers on the Epic hate the bathroom set up. I found it perfectly fine as I was with my DH. Two friends or parents and older kids, might not enjoy the lack of privacy. Just go on the NCL Epic site on cruise critic, you have lots to read on it.

The two main pools were small and had lots of kids in them. We retreated to the daytime adults-only area Spice H20, which had it's own pool, bar and food! God send, I tell ya! Or go to deck 18 with padded loungers to escape all people below. It's hot up there though!

The ship is more "inside" feeling...meaning, when you are in 678 Ocean Place (main hub of the ship), you have hardly any views of the water. You feel like you are inside. That didn't really bother us, but I know it does others.

The buffet was really great, Shanghai's noodle bar was awesome, we only ate Taste (one of the dining rooms) once, but it was good.

We didn't feel any crowds on the ship. Maybe it was just our schedule we kept.

Crew was very kind and work tireless to keep us all happy.

We enjoyed it and would definitely sail on her again!

Overall I would say that NCL is a little better, but there are a lot of mine fields you have to beware of- for example they will give you the beverage package as a perk and then charge you an 18% gratuity based on the cost of the package normally. When I priced our last cruise NCL came out $800 more than CCL and even with a perk it wasn't worth it to me as I don't think NCL is that much better than CCL, just a little better.

I've been a NCL cruiser before the new CEO made so many changes with drink packages, different dining packages, excursions, internet etc. There is no way these could all be free without some changes to their fare structure.

I've been a NCL cruiser before the new CEO made so many changes with drink packages, different dining packages, excursions, internet etc. There is no way these could all be free without some changes to their fare structure.

I figured that was a large part of the price diffence in the cruises that I looked at. Nothing is ever really free.

I've sailed NCL 4 times, twice on Epic, many more on CCL. I go on CCL a lot more as a practicality. I find the lines to be mostly interchangeable as far as my enjoyment, but I do a lot of short ones out of Galveston, so go CCL more. I will say Epic has more closed in spaces, for sure. But I do love their open bar areas, good people watching. They have OSheehans, which is a pub type place with good food. The ice bar is fun to try. Once. Ha!

I'm not big on shows, so can't really speak to that, but one BIG difference between the lines is you make advance reservations for your shows to make sure you get a seat. Ditto on their specialty restaurants. For regular dining room, you just walk in and there's usually not much of a wait.

The bathroom "situation" on Epic. Toilet is on one side, enclosed, like a little closet, shower is on other, also enclosed in frosted glass, so you step out, pretty much in the room. There's a curtain you can pull in that area of the room, but this is also right in front of your cabin door, so make sure it's locked so your steward doesn't get an eyefull of what God gave you. The sink is in the cabin. Some love everything separated for ease of sharing a bathroom, others hate the lack of privacy. Everyone in cabin can clearly hear what you're up to on the toilet.

I loved that ship though and would go again, anytime. Good vibe, plenty to do. I say go for it. I don't know which you'll like better, but I don't imagine you'll be disappointed.

Happy Sailing.

I figured that was a large part of the price diffence in the cruises that I looked at. Nothing is ever really free.

Did a sailing late February last year on the Breakaway. 3 people in an H4 2-bedroom haven suite for $5,200 with all the same perks offered now. Just did a mock booking for the same exact cabin (15104, same exact week this year)...The fare is $7,741 FOR TWO people as of this morning. Ridiculous. I miss Kevin Sheehan.

NCL had a great deal last year that included free beverage packages (like actually free, not now where you have to pay the taxes on it still) and I booked with them instead of Carnival. I'm not going to say I regretted it, but I definitely feel as though Carnival has more activities and things to do, instead of the Freestyle mantra NCL has that seemed to lack planned events during the day. Sure, the free drinks were great and cruising is ALWAYS a wonderful and welcome time, however I feel like we would've had an even better time on Carnival. My two cents, so decide what works for you.

I've never sailed NCL but my sister has and had an incident in October during a Mediterranean cruise that turned her away from future NCL cruises. She had a leak in her cabin and the bathroom was very moldy. They fixed the leak and ran the blowers to dry out the cabin, but the mold smell remained all cruise. She asked GS to change cabins because of her allergies but they refused and instead just left the noisy blower in the room for 24 hours. After the room had dried a strong mold smell was still present and they still refused her request to change cabins.

My sister is an experienced cruiser and has been on Carnival, RCL and NCL previously, but after this experience she said never again to NCL. Because if they can't take care of their customers right then they don't deserve our business. In contrast I know Carnival would do everything in their power (most of the time) to move you if another cabin is available. She did say other aspects of the cruise were ok and she did enjoy herself.

Well the Escape has plenty of negative reviews, it had reached 50% but then dropped back down to 49%

NCL used to comparable in price with Carnival, but not so much these days. Costs seem more in line with Royal, Princess, Celebrity. CCL's fares have gone up too just haven't noticed it being as dramatic.

All of the freebies will come with some cost, as was already mentioned.

The drinks promo has reports of long waits at bars, sometimes 20 minutes of more to get a drink, other reports are not as bad.

The dining promo has people saying book ahead because the dining facilities are full and in some cases booked solid for the week of the cruise. Others report they were able to get in just fine.

The internet is considered stupid slow on Escape.

We are doing NCL but not one of the mega ships.

Just to many changes and packages and lack of cummunication for us to give them a try now.

Maybe later, although are considering a Pearl cruise.

Been on the Epic twice, cruised Carnival a lot more but I must say, hands down the entertainment on NCL far exceeds Carnival. And the Piano bar is so so so so much better. That being said I am still a huge Carnival fan and will not abandon Carnival but I will be cruising NCL more.

The bathroom things is weird but nothing you can't overcome.

I enjoy having the same waiter every night on Carnival, but I as well love the freestyle dining.

My son and his 5 friends are cruising this next October. I price compared with drinks packages, tips etc. Carnival Breeze vs NCL Getaway = NCL was cheaper by 800.00.

Give NCL a try I say.

NCL on the Getaway does reservations for some shows. You can do this ahead of time. Reserving ahead of time reminded me of my Disney vacations. I like CCL website better. NCL was quirky and not as user friendly. NCL food in specialty restaurants was better (very subjective JMO)and lots of restaurant choices. Both lines cabins were comparable except the insides. Be very careful and do research on the sleeping layouts. Getaway was LOUD on the pool deck so I think CCL may do their pool decks better. I am very impressed with the amount of outdoor space on CCL Vista according to the web. CCL is still priced better for loyal VIP/repeat/ and families I think. Service was great on NCL. You feel like you are in a resort hotel. Overall a nice product for the $$$$ I paid. I am looking forward to the CCL Vista as I think they are going to be much more competative with NCL newer ships.

I can only give you a comparison on the NCL Getaway. Epic was cheaper but the bathroom set up was a deal breaker.

We've sailed with Carnival 3 times to NCL 1 time and prefer Carnival in a big way. We found the service in the NCL MDR was terrible, for the most part the servers were slow and unfriendly and the foor was mediocre at best.

We also thought that they were always pushing the pay restaurants at you all the time. With the large number of pay restaurants on board there was limited space for nighttime activities. The comedy was ok on NCL but not up to the level of Carnival.

Our cabin was much smaller on the NCL Dawn and we didn't think we would have been very comfortable if our son was with us on that cruise. Our cabin steward was phenomenal and this was the one spot where we thought NCL was on par or better.

We would look at NCL again but it would have to be a bigger and newer ship as well as an itinerary that we couldn't get with Carnival or someone else.

NCL and CCL have a great product! Both offer life/fun through out the day.

If pressed to pick between the to (going to same places for the same price), it would be a toss up based on the ships in question and what we like and would like to try

Everything that is great about CCL is present in a good % in NCL.

Everything that is great about NCL is present in a good % on CCL.

Wasn't much help, I know. Sorry! :o

IMHO....

NCL better entertainment, buffet food, O'Sheehan

CCL better inside/OV/balcony rooms, MDR food

I liked Epic and had no problem with inside room with DH. Having said that DD and DS did not like the inside room due to lack of bathroom privacy. DH did not like the size of Epic but I didn't have an issue with it. DH didn't like that I had to preschedule the shows we went to see. As a planner I didn't have a problem with it. Try it for yourself. Everyone will have a very subjective opinion here.

As you can see from my signature, I mainly sail NCL (and have almost completed the fleet). If you go over to the NCL board, most likely you will get everyone telling you how much better NCL is than Carnival, that Carnival is the "bottom of the line cruise-ship, party ship" and so on. They told me this for years.

I'm happy to say that I decided to try them out myself, a few years ago, and LOVE Carnival. We have had nothing but good experiences and an AWESOME time on the 2 ships we have been on so far. We are booked on the Breeze in another 2 months and I can't wait!

There are more similarities between the two than not. I'm not a "partier" BUT love to dance at the partys. I think Carnival is a lot funner with the partys and dancing on the decks. We have a blast! It really is the "fun ship" IMO. The service has always been great, never found that I went hungry on one, love the Dive-In movies, they "claim" the rooms are bigger (although I haven't experienced it with the rooms we have stayed in) and the ships have been beautiful and awesome.

NCL has GREAT entertainment compared to Carnival IMO, especially if you can get on a ship that has the elements show (which might only be the Dawn or Star, which are older ships). Then the newer ships have the Cirque dinner shows (amazing but cost extra). Entertainment in the theater has always been good. The staff has always been amazing, friendly and they are clean freaks about the ship.

But really, I find them more alike than anything and wouldn't hesitate to cruise either. As with any cruiseline, the newer ships have all the bells and whistles on both lines. :)

We've only sailed NCL once (Dawn), and the two are very similar. Yes, you will find differences. Both have things they do well, but the two lines are more similar than different.

• Our cabin was smaller on Dawn. It might have just been me, but I thought the corridors were narrower as well.
  • Everything seems to revolve around "your time dining" and there are monitors all over the ship encouraging you to make your dinner reservations based on how full a particular restaurant was getting.
  • Food is definitely better on Carnival--buffet and MDR. Specialty restaurants on NCL Dawn seemed comparable to MDR to Carnival. Some people will say that food is subjective...it is, but then, so is everything. What one person likes on any subject you can find people who don't like it.
  • NCL, you will likely notice the senior officers and section heads more than you would on Carnival.
  • NCL seems to do a much better job on entertainment, not just the main shows, but also various side attractions as well.

As you can see from my signature, I mainly sail NCL (and have almost completed the fleet). If you go over to the NCL board, most likely you will get everyone telling you how much better NCL is than Carnival, that Carnival is the "bottom of the line cruise-ship, party ship" and so on. They told me this for years.

I'm happy to say that I decided to try them out myself, a few years ago, and LOVE Carnival. We have had nothing but good experiences and an AWESOME time on the 2 ships we have been on so far. We are booked on the Breeze in another 2 months and I can't wait!

There are more similarities between the two than not. I'm not a "partier" BUT love to dance at the partys. I think Carnival is a lot funner with the partys and dancing on the decks. We have a blast! It really is the "fun ship" IMO. The service has always been great, never found that I went hungry on one, love the Dive-In movies, they "claim" the rooms are bigger (although I haven't experienced it with the rooms we have stayed in) and the ships have been beautiful and awesome.

NCL has GREAT entertainment compared to Carnival IMO, especially if you can get on a ship that has the elements show (which might only be the Dawn or Star, which are older ships). Then the newer ships have the Cirque dinner shows (amazing but cost extra). Entertainment in the theater has always been good. The staff has always been amazing, friendly and they are clean freaks about the ship.

But really, I find them more alike than anything and wouldn't hesitate to cruise either. As with any cruiseline, the newer ships have all the bells and whistles on both lines. :)

We've only sailed NCL once (Dawn), and the two are very similar. Yes, you will find differences. Both have things they do well, but the two lines are more similar than different.

• Our cabin was smaller on Dawn. It might have just been me, but I thought the corridors were narrower as well.
  • Everything seems to revolve around "your time dining" and there are monitors all over the ship encouraging you to make your dinner reservations based on how full a particular restaurant was getting.
  • Food is definitely better on Carnival--buffet and MDR. Specialty restaurants on NCL Dawn seemed comparable to MDR to Carnival. Some people will say that food is subjective...it is, but then, so is everything. What one person likes on any subject you can find people who don't like it.
  • NCL, you will likely notice the senior officers and section heads more than you would on Carnival.
  • NCL seems to do a much better job on entertainment, not just the main shows, but also various side attractions as well.

We've only cruised on the Dawn and I don't agree with either of you about the entertainment. The main shows on Carnival have been better that what was on the Dawn last summer. As far as other entertainment, they had no room for it.

I think they're pretty comparable. I've been on NCL Gem twice, many more carnival cruises. If the price was right, we would easily go back to NCL, but lately when we check the prices, NCL is usually more expensive, even with the freebies thrown in.

I found the shows on NCL to be much better than carnival, but I do like the comedy club on carnival. The MDR food was maybe a touch better than carnival, but I wasn't impressed with the specialty restaurants on NCL. I think the service on carnival was friendlier overall, and the rooms are better on carnival, with a more comfy bed. Though any difference isn't enough to make me go with carnival vs NCL. If the price was right on NCL and they were going where we wanted to go we would easily go with them again.

I think they're pretty comparable. I've been on NCL Gem twice, many more carnival cruises. If the price was right, we would easily go back to NCL, but lately when we check the prices, NCL is usually more expensive, even with the freebies thrown in.

I found the shows on NCL to be much better than carnival, but I do like the comedy club on carnival. The MDR food was maybe a touch better than carnival, but I wasn't impressed with the specialty restaurants on NCL. I think the service on carnival was friendlier overall, and the rooms are better on carnival, with a more comfy bed. Though any difference isn't enough to make me go with carnival vs NCL. If the price was right on NCL and they were going where we wanted to go we would easily go with them again.

Gem is the other ship itinerary I was looking at. What can you tell me about her?

Gem is the other ship itinerary I was looking at. What can you tell me about her?

I have a review of our Gem cruise in my signature. We enjoyed the trip very much. If the price was right we wouldn't hesitate to sail on her again. They took the bowling alley out but I think the rock wall and other activities are still in place (basketball court, etc.).