don't anyone have a heart attack, but I think we are booking another Oceania cruise

RachelG

So, after my husband saying he would never cruise on Oceania again, and me saying only if it was the right itinerary or without him, I think we are going to be back.

We have some friends who really want to cruise with us, but who are retired and have less of a travel budget than we do. So I have been looking at options, and I found a couple of great deals on Oceania. We are looking at the Jan 7-17, 2017 LA to LA cruise on Regatta.

George and I would get a PH3 or higher, so that would take care of the space issue. And we will do the included drinks package. That will bring the cost up to that of a comparable cruise on Regent, but we really want to cruise with our friends. And they will be happy with an ocean view. They even suggested they could do an inside cabin, but I am not so sure how they would like that.

So, questions for those who know more than I do about this ship: Which cabin would you recommend for our friends? I was thinking a D. But any particular one.

For us, I was thinking PH3. Again, any particular ones and why?

I am not sure I understand this "O Life" promotion. Explain.

How is the main dining room compared to the larger ships? From what I can tell, it sounds better, more like Compass Rose on Regent. We were very disappointed with the MDR on our previous Riviera cruise, but liked the specialty restaurants.

How is the internet? My constant frustration on Riviera was the slow internet. And that was the main reason I said I wouldn't cruise Oceania again.

Is there a good outdoor walking track?

I would do a C1 on deck 4 if they are on a budget or even an E on deck 6 (smaller cabin though)

JMO

If you found the PH small on the O class ship you may want to do the OS

The walking track is the area above the pool deck no dedicated area like on the O class ships

i-FxqvNfd-M.jpg

Only 2 specialty restaurants compared to 4

O LIfe depends when you booked if after Dec 31st then you get a choice of one of the 3 options

plus the free internet

Edited by LHT28

An interesting point was brought up above in reference to specialty restaurants. How many of the R ships have currently converted to the new three specialty configuration of Polo and Tuscany combined, along with the new Red Ginger? Does anyone know the conversion plan for the other ships? I had thought that all were being converted over as they went through dry dock and restoration! What's up with all of this?

We were in a concierge cabin on Riviera, not a penthouse. I thought it wouldn't matter that much, but it did. The penthouse square footage on Regatta looks to be about the same as a standard suite on Regent or Silversea Spirit, and we are fine with that. We have a hold on 8006 currently--any thoughts?

The walking track looks "adequate". Similar to on Navigator so I can deal with that.

Good to hear about the internet functioning.

An interesting point was brought up above in reference to specialty restaurants. How many of the R ships have currently converted to the new three specialty configuration of Polo and Tuscany combined, along with the new Red Ginger? Does anyone know the conversion plan for the other ships? I had thought that all were being converted over as they went through dry dock and restoration! What's up with all of this?

So far, only Sirena has been/will be converted to the dual Toscana/Polo. IMHO, they could have made a Jacques rather than a Red Ginger!! Arlene

The announcement back in Oct said Sirena will be the 1st ship to offer the new restaurants

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/media/2015/Red+Ginger%2c+Tuscan+Steak+and+Jacques+Bistro+enhance+stellar+culinary+offerings+onboard+Sirena+/

so I would think when the other R-ships go to dry dock they will do it then ...just my guess of course

We were in a concierge cabin on Riviera, not a penthouse. I thought it wouldn't matter that much, but it did. The penthouse square footage on Regatta looks to be about the same as a standard suite on Regent or Silversea Spirit, and we are fine with that. We have a hold on 8006 currently--any thoughts?

The walking track looks "adequate". Similar to on Navigator so I can deal with that.

Good to hear about the internet functioning.

We were in 8006 on Nautica when it was brand new (i.e, Renaissance's R5) and it was fine. WE didn't hear any noise from above, other than very occasional furniture moving sounds, but I believe others have complained more vociferously about this kind of disturbance. It didn't bother us at all.

Mura

Rachel - too busy recovering from my heart attack to respond;)

Actually, as you know, we toured the Nautica in November and found it to be a nicely designed, cozy ship. I would get the biggest suite possible as the bathrooms are tiny - really tiny!

Rachel - too busy recovering from my heart attack to respond;)

Actually, as you know, we toured the Nautica in November and found it to be a nicely designed, cozy ship. I would get the biggest suite possible as the bathrooms are tiny - really tiny!

Once you get off life support, let me know!

Rachel,

I just reviewed my trip diary to see what I said about the noise and found absolutely no reference to it at all ... My itinerary says we were in 8008, not 8006 which is what I have always remembered (!) but that's next door so not much difference. In addition, we were on the R5 in February 2000 so my memory could be faulty. But we are sure we remember occasional "chair scraping" noises which probably wouldn't have been coming from the salon. But since we weren't terribly bothered we didn't worry about it. I think we just assumed we were either underneath Waves or a pool area.

Some changes could well have been made since then even though the ships are still pretty much the same, they just have had regular upgrades since Oceania took them over.

TravelCat, yes, the bathrooms BELOW the PH category are very tiny. But PH and above are okay by our books. Currently, the PH category on the "R" ships has a tub/shower condo which for me is much better than the tiny showers in the lower cabins. That's why we aim for a PH on our "R" ship cruises. (I'm not sure but perhaps the tub/showers will be changed over to large showers ...)

Mura

We were told the GDR will feature a Jacques menu for lunch.

True, but I'm with Arlene in preferring Jacques as the additional option on the "R" ships. Red Ginger is our LEAST favorite specialty restaurant. But we'll be happy to have the luncheon option since we tend to have lunch in the GDR when we are on the ship.

However, it's clear from posts here that at least amongst CC members RG is a favorite. Or maybe I should say from those who POST.

Mura

Agree with posters that prefer Jacques to Red Ginger!!!!!

Rachel, after our conversations, I am surprised that you are returning to Oceania but am happy to hear that you will be with friends that will be more comfortable on a less expensive cruise line. Although the three (soon to be four) smaller ships are almost the size of the Regent ships that we are used to, the Nautica seemed smaller to me. As I said, I thought the ship was nice and cozy but the décor is not to our taste (not that décor matters). Actually, now that I think about it, I really liked the library and computer room but cannot imagine the internet being better than the Riviera. Fortunately you will have unlimited internet (but, as you know, only for one person at a time:o)

IMHO, since George has agreed to this, you may owe him a cruise on the Explorer:D

If your friends are budget travelers, they may be very happy with an inside cabin. Some of the ocean view cabins are much smaller than the inside cabins. We have found it quite adequate, but we don't mind traveling steerage to be able to go on the trips we want. So if you sit with me at dinner, you will always get the view. My favorite cabin is one of the two G cabins on deck 7. Nice location and quiet.

We have booked. And Jackie, we are on Explorer in September. Just booked our excursions.

I much prefer Jacques to Red Ginger. But if the MDR on Regatta is up to Compass Rose standards, we will be happy.

Jackie, apparently the Internet is for 2 people on this cruise, at least according to the info from our TA. And we got some very agreeable SBC.

I just completed a Riviera cruise. Internet quality was not consistent. Sometimes it worked fine, other time it took an eternity to move from one "page" to the next, e.g., several times I had to give up on making a CC post, speed being so slow.

Harry

Jackie, apparently the Internet is for 2 people on this cruise, at least according to the info from our TA. And we got some very agreeable SBC.

The fine print

Terms and Conditions OLife Choice

*Standard terms apply. View complete terms and conditions in addition: Any noted Shipboard Credits are per person, based on double occupancy.Free Internet is one per stateroom. OLife Choice amenities are subject to change. OLife Choice free shore excursions vary by voyage and exclude Oceania Choice, Oceania Exclusive and Executive Collection. Voyages up to 9 days receive 3 free shore excursions; 10-12 days receive 4 free shore excursions; 14+ days receive 5 free shore excursions. OLife Choice beverage package amenity is House Select. Guests in the same stateroom must choose the same OLife Choice amenity.

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/special-offers/olife-choice/

I think the rule is more "one device at a time" rather than only one person. If you both use the same laptop, tablet, phone or whatever, just do so at different times. The internet police won't be waiting at your door ... at least I don't think so.

In our case, DH NEVER uses the internet so I don't have to share ...

Hi Rachel, Would like to respectfully disagree with Jacquie and it just shows "chac'un a son gout". We loved the décor of the Nautica preferring it to Voyager by a lot. It is definitely more ornate, but ioo elegant as opposed to neutral (to be polite). If Regatta's MDR matches Nautica you will be very happy. Outstanding!

Would suggest your friends challenge their budget as any cabin under PH imo is very small. Most classifications don't change much footage wise so if price is most important go cheap!

Would suggest your friends challenge their budget as any cabin under PH imo is very small. Most classifications don't change much footage wise so if price is most important go cheap!

I would agree about Cabin size, however, sailing with companions who are not in a Suite can become ticklish regarding Specialty Restaurant dinner reservations.

Passengers who book Suites are often surprised to learn that inviting another passenger to join their existing reservation ALSO counts against that guests' "guaranteed reservation" total. There is no free lunch....or, in this case, dinner ;)

Lower category cabins are allocated fewer reservations, and are not permitted to make them until later in the game, so while coordination of reservations is possible, it is far more common for Suite Passengers to give up Specialty Restaurant reservations in order to dine more often with their friends.

When everybody is, not to be too literal, "in the same boat", Specialty Dining is SO MUCH EASIER!

Edited by StanandJim