How Much Cash?

Jedijohn

Any tips on how much cash to bring? I am on a 6 day cruise to Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel.

My known costs are my two independently booked excursions & transportation, and pre/post cruise shuttle. I've also allotted cash for porter & room service tips, and tips for the above mentioned excursions/transportation.

That brings me to about $300...I am not sure how much to allot for souvenir shopping and extra food/drinks in the ports. I know both our credit cards have a 3% international transaction fee, and I don't know if many shops or our excurions would even take them. Do you think another $150 might be enough?

Well, are you planning to buy a Rolex watch or a key ring in the shape of the island you are visiting? How many of each are you going to buy?

I cannot guess what you are going to spend, only you can. That said, I use credit cards on the island all the time. If the vendor is in a building they will take MasterCard and/or Visa. If they are on the sidewalk, then I go with cash.

Well, are you planning to buy a Rolex watch or a key ring in the shape of the island you are visiting? How many of each are you going to buy?

I was just thinking some small things to remember the trip with and some trinkets for our kids, but I am not sure what things typically cost in places like these...first time cruiser, first time out of the US.

I was just thinking some small things to remember the trip with and some trinkets for our kids, but I am not sure what things typically cost in places like these...first time cruiser, first time out of the US.

You'll find street vendors that want to sell you 50¢ worth of plastic for $20. However, you should be able to bargain them down to a couple of dollars. Nonetheless, I cannot remember ever spending more than $10 on something "small". Shot glass range from $4 to $9. Key rings are a couple of dollars. A little necklace for any young ladies is going to be $2.00 to $6.00.

Larger items like shirts will run $10, $20 or $25 (depending on quality).

Things that require skill to make, like wood carvings can easily run $20 to $50 (depending on the quality). Don't buy silver or gold from the street vendors.

Also, don't believe anyone is selling you a diamond appraised at twice what the selling price is. An appraisal is based on what it would cost to replace it. So if it cost $250 to replace, then it is not going to be appraised at $500.

I take very little cash, but a whopping big credit card limit. But then I also take the beautiful Mrs Gut and she knows how to melt a credit card.

Usually put one down for the cruise account and one for spending money.

Any tips on how much cash to bring? I am on a 6 day cruise to Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel.

My known costs are my two independently booked excursions & transportation, and pre/post cruise shuttle. I've also allotted cash for porter & room service tips, and tips for the above mentioned excursions/transportation.

That brings me to about $300...I am not sure how much to allot for souvenir shopping and extra food/drinks in the ports. I know both our credit cards have a 3% international transaction fee, and I don't know if many shops or our excurions would even take them. Do you think another $150 might be enough?

We pre-pay our onboard tips. Which takes care of the dining staff and room steward. We do not use CC in ports unless its a well known store and for big purchases. We take smaller bills because sometimes those vendors wills say they do not have change for my 20.

What about bingo? Gambling? Photos?

Shopping for souvenirs at a port is pretty much like it is in most tourist areas here in the U.S. If you're on a budget and want to keep your purchases to a minimum, set a spending limit for each port. Let's say you set a limit of $75.00 at each port. 3 ports x $75.00 = $225.00. That doesn't mean you have to spend that much at each port, but at least you'll have a reasonable dollar amount to work with. We've been to some ports where we probably didn't spend much over $40.00, not counting excursion and tips. If you have an excursion that includes a lunch break, you won't have to worry about extra food and drinks in port. Otherwise, as cb at sea said, figure about $20.00 or so for lunch, plus a little more for beverages. If you want to keep costs down, and you think you might get a little hungry while you're in port, buy a box of granola bars and pack them in your suitcase. Then, when you get to port, stick a couple of granola bars in your backpack, and buy a couple of bottles of water from the staff person selling them as you exit the ship. ;)

Great hints from everyone, so far!

Just a few more:

• If you plan to use a credit card in port, be sure to notify your bank of the dates and places you'll be. This will avoid them investigating any potential fraud and protect you if your card is lost/stolen in a port of call.
  • I always go above and beyond the pre-paid gratuities. I budget approximately $100 for MDR waiters, a special bartender or two, stateroom steward and anyone else who makes my cruise special.
  • If you gamble, be sure to set (and stay with) a budgeted amount of cash.
  • I agree there isn't much to purchase that's special in the way of souveniers in the Carribean. I do buy vanilla when visiting Mexico, rum in Puerto Rico, and usually some liquor. art or other item not available in the U.S.A.
  • If you're into watches, jewelry or gold, the ships usually have great prices. Just be very knowledgeable about existing prices where you live, to comparison shop (much like buying from outlet stores).

Enjoy your cruise!

Always better to have too much than too little. You can always bring home any you don't spend (I always bring some home).

Yep, I always figure out how much I need, then add $2,000.

No problem bringing home a bunch of hundred dollar bills.

do not buy plants, fruits or vegetables. (even those hats made from palm Fronds in Jamaica.http://www.keywestwebstore.com/palm-frond/palm-frond-hat.jpg

they will be confiscated at the pier before you board.

Edited by serene56

Meaning I didn't carry 50s and 100s...lol.

I always bring a few threes with me in case I have to make change for a nine. Also, I never bring anything more than a 25 dollar bill.

Edited by Cuizer2

Always better to have too much than too little. You can always bring home any you don't spend (I always bring some home).

I'm with you Scrapnana, last cruise I was on, the money that I took with me, that I didn't spend, I put it back in the bank, to be saved for the next cruise I plan to take in June.:)

If you have all your excursions paid for prior to your cruise as we normally do, that will reduce whats needed to bring. With that said, it's your ship board account. Drinks and gift shop items, and art auctions now they can become costly, ask me how I know! And depending how many people you need to support while cruising! Then how many ports of call!? So it depend on your heard! Figure say $200 at each port?? Yet I've spent $30.000 at Diamonds International, yea she spoiled:)

Edited by TORQ

If you have all your excursions paid for prior to your cruise as we normally do, that will reduce whats needed to bring. With that said, it's your ship board account. Drinks and gift shop items, and art auctions now they can become costly, ask me how I know! And depending how many people you need to support while cruising! Then how many ports of call!? So it depend on your heard! Figure say $200 at each port?? Yet I've spent $30.000 at Diamonds International, yea she spoiled:)

WOW! I was going to say about $200 total for the cruise for what the OP said they would be purchasing. :eek::)