What type room are you sailing in?

ARI421

Just a curiosity question.. My husband and I discovered cruising 6 years ago and we love it! We are excited with every cruise we go on! We are extra excited when our inside cabin is in a better section lol! The haven seems as real as winning the lottery to us! Though I am excited to have an ocean view for my next Cruise!

So my question is, how do you travel?

Am I in the minority?

We've done insides, we've done ocean views, and we've done balconies. I like balconies the best, but don't mind either of the others. We spend very little time in our cabin, and I'm generally happy with a bed and shower. The balcony is a nice bonus, but not an absolutely necessity. Right now we like the promos attached.

My only other cruise was in a balcony stateroom, and we'll be in an ocean view next month (mostly to take advantage of perks). Truthfully, while the aft balcony was beautiful, it didn't make or break the trip in any way. We spent very little time out there, except for in the mornings on port days, just taking in the view - which you can definitely do from other places on the ship. We're a young family and for us, we'd rather have the extra money for other things, and we don't mind that our room is just a place to sleep!

to be honest, I like insides, but NOT with small children. Heck, even the mini-suite last year with small children was bad.

but when they are older and can be in a connecting stateroom without me having a panic attack, we may end up doing that again (so we can cruise more often!)

for now, its only going to be in rooms that have at least a separate bedroom. And I really cant afford much time for vacations now. We've Dave Ramsey'd the heck out of life and I work my rear off every day including most holidays. I figure it should be my vacation too :). Up til last year, with a couple of exceptions (which were really good deals...$600 total for the OS on the Monarch, for example...) our only real vacations were to a beach house that we didnt have to pay for for a week. but that came with grocery shopping, cooking, cleaning and laundry in tow, so that sucked and I would come home more tired than I left.

When I retire, I want to imitate a nice old lady I met on the Monarch - she basically bought out the same inside room forever and sold her house/car/stuff.

Not a bad way to retire, honestly.

Edited by Starflyr3

Balconies. Only balconies. I could never survive an inside, not because of claustrophobia, but because I need a lot of natural light in the course of a day or I start to freak a little [emoji15]. An oceanview might be acceptable, but I am very attached to the large window the sliding door affords, and to the private outdoor area of the balcony, regardless of how big or small it is. That being said, I don't think we'll ever go in the other direction, either. We definitely do not need the suite perks, however lovely they might be, and could not justify spending enough money on one cruise to pay for two (or more!). So, I don't think we'll ever move much in either direction. As I said, balconies. Only balconies. [emoji1]

Started with inside..then ocean view.. balcony.. min suite..penthouse.. .. last was penthouse.. next will be penthouse.,,. but after that back to the balcony..prices way off the scale.... mid ship balcony is just fine..

My first two cruises were inside cabins. I had the best nights' sleep in these rooms because they get so dark once you turn off the lights. Between that and the gentle rocking of ship.... zzzzzzz

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On NCL it's in the suite… Once you try it is pretty hard to go back.

I started cruising with my mom and it was great for us to have our own separate space. She's A night owl and I'm an early riser she likes it hot I like it cold in the room. Nice to each have our own space.

We did a transatlantic in an outside room and she got sick during the cruise from another passenger which is another story altogether… But by the end of that cruise we were both miserable and I would have given my right arm for a little balcony. Before that cruise we met a couple of gentlemen at our pre-cruise hotel who were staying in the Haven and had us up for lunch and a visit a few times and introduce us to the NCL suite life. We bit.

My mom has slowed down from traveling and I've started going on cruises with my sister and my niece. As long as we are able will stick with the suite life. I would rather cruise less often in a suite. That's just my personal choice.

BTW, when I was younger and did not cruise in the suite I had just as much fun. As I've gotten older, sold my house and tucked a few bucks away I'm willing to splurge a little on myself.

I Love that there are so many options so we can all enjoy our cruises.

I'm a bottom feeder, and like paying low rates, so I always book insides. Works perfectly for me. I've been on 109 cruises- free balcony upgrades twice. ;) I'm delighted people spend multi times what I do on other cabin categories.

Something for everyone.

Just a curiosity question.. My husband and I discovered cruising 6 years ago and we love it! We are excited with every cruise we go on! We are extra excited when our inside cabin is in a better section lol! The haven seems as real as winning the lottery to us! Though I am excited to have an ocean view for my next Cruise!

Am I in the minority?

In April we'll be doing 28 days on Jade, inside cabin near aft elevator.

Last April we did 7 days on Jewel, inside cabin, Forward.

In 2013 we did 33 days on Star, imside cabin, midship.

We've also done oceanview on some cruises but we usually cruise as cheaply as possible so we can do more cruises.

A suite would be a dream for us.

All cabins are dark at night, they turn off the street lights and limit cars so no head lights. :) The black out curtains are in all cabins with windows or doors. I like NCL suites and have only sailed in a suite on NCL. On other cruise lines I use mini suites or Jr. suites. I would never sail in a dark cave AKA an inside. Isn't it nice there is variety. I recently sailed on Princess' Regal and that ship has no outsides.

First cruise to AK booked a balcony - got upgraded to a suite.

Second cruise was also AK with the kids Balcony + inside

Third cruise HI - balcony (waste of $$)

4th cruise AK SE suite first cruise with MIL was actually cheaper than paying upcharge for an inside for her and a balcony for us.

5th cruise coming up 14 days with MIL again this time we went to the next level of suite an SC 2 bedroom Family Suite - lesson learned from AK cruise. This time the cost was slightly higher than a balcony and inside with single upcharge. But I think the extra room and separate sleeping and bathrooms will make the trip more enjoyable.

We do tend to spend lots of time in the cabin - reading, talking, and relaxing:D

2 X inside. 2 X Balcony. Next 2 X Balcony. Although inside was fine, we'll probably not go back now that we've moved to balconies. Although if it was the difference between going on a cruise or not, then I'd be in an inside no question.

Edited by NCLfamily

Am I in the minority?

The Haven Aft-Facing Penthouse with Master Bedroom and Balcony on the breakaway in May

this will the last penthouse at least until our Canadian dollar gets better will go back to Balcony for a while

Edited by Orleanscruiser

Family suite in April, good promos when we booked and we have three kids, so the suite was not significantly more than two connecting rooms...

This, though we only have 2 kids :)

We started in a balcony, then went back and forth between balconies and mini suites. On breakaway I splurged and booked an aft penthouse. It was amazing to have some outdoor space for the kids to use, where they weren't tumbling on top of me :) Next cruise (we leave in 8 days!!!) has us in a family suite and we are all looking forward to some separate spaces. The boys are still too young to be in a separate cabin, but this layout seems to make everyone happy. Time will tell! I agree I'd rather get a suite than pay for two cabins.

I'm a bottom feeder, and like paying low rates, so I always book insides. Works perfectly for me. I've been on 109 cruises- free balcony upgrades twice. ;) I'm delighted people spend multi times what I do on other cabin categories.

Something for everyone.

We also shop for the bottom dollar deals. :)

Any cabin will do. :D

This' date=' though we only have 2 kids :)

We started in a balcony, then went back and forth between balconies and mini suites. On breakaway I splurged and booked an aft penthouse. It was amazing to have some outdoor space for the kids to use, where they weren't tumbling on top of me :) Next cruise (we leave in 8 days!!!) has us in a family suite and we are all looking forward to some separate spaces. The boys are still too young to be in a separate cabin, but this layout seems to make everyone happy. Time will tell! I agree I'd rather get a suite than pay for two cabins.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/quote']

Enjoy your trip! It was actually the family suite option that made us try NCL. Especially when they are offering free specialty dining, drinks, gratuity and a bunch of obc last spring...doing the math, it was worth a little extra over connecting rooms.

Enjoy your trip! It was actually the family suite option that made us try NCL. Especially when they are offering free specialty dining, drinks, gratuity and a bunch of obc last spring...doing the math, it was worth a little extra over connecting rooms.

Exactly our thoughts! I don't know how well it will work going forward, but for now we are going to enjoy this cruise :)