SS Cruise Critic Member Review Data v. Other Ultra Premium Lines

Kilroyshere

Kilroyshere,

A "deficiency" to you is an "advantage" to others. It seems as though you won't be happy until you beat everyone else into submission and agreement with you. Silversea didn't work for you, fine. It works for others. You've made your point (some would say, ad nauseam). Your feelings are vaild, for you, but this is not a universal feeling.

Please, move on!

Patty

Crowd control. 24 people on an eight day cruise equates to slightly less than 200 people. If complimentary it equates to 36% of the ship. It is a very unique dining experience and the other lines do not have a restaurant this small. Same for the Japanese restaurant which was also relatively small. Until you dine there, you won't appreciate that. We certainly never was at a loss for dining options. In fact, I was surprised at the number of choices available on a 550 passenger ship.

I didn't say which food was better. Just that the Japanese Restaurant had a much more extensive menu than the sushi/sashimi offered at lunch.

Keith

You keep going back to crowd control.

Regent Navigator takes 490 passengers. Their Prime 7 Steak House seats about 36. They allow every passenger at least one night without up-charge.

SB's evening specialty Restaurant 2 on the aft end, was never attended by more than a few dozen people. There was no limit on the number of times you may go there nor up-charge.

Seishin was nearly empty every night last week. I don't eat beef. There was no point in us paying $80 bucks to get the identical Sushi/Sashimi offered on the buffet, along with a piece of Wagyu beef I won't eat.

But us attending Seishin is not the point

I'm comparing measurable differences and deficiencies here that are indisputable: The fact of no evening entertainment on SS and it everyplace elsewhere. And the up-charges on SS and none elsewhere.

And your assertion that you had no in-house entertainment on SB just doesn't sound right. We've been going on SB since the late 80's and NEVER was there a cruise without in-house and, outside entertainment.

Perhaps other SB vet cruisers might weigh in if they never had in-house entertainment or not?

Keith,

I am struglling a little to focus on what I think is a very clear and concise accusation being implied by both the quantitive results of the OP's summary and the qualitative reading of comments and your response to that accusation.

The simple accusation is that attached to the Silversea offer is a series of implied and explicit propositions on a series of topics from food to entertainment that creates a set of expecations a reasonable customer might have. Not a picky customer that can never be satisfied, but a normal well balanced customer with a reasonable set of expectations.

My question to you, is (a) do you believe that Silversea successfully meets all of it's customers reasonable expectations, or (b) do you believe that at least in part there are reasonable expectations that it is failing to meet?

If (b) - then which ones?

Thanks,

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Yes, so you have stated more than a few times. Generally, I agree and it is a great resource for someone beginning at zero. However, Silversea has changed drastically during the past ten years and he seems not to have noticed.

i agree in full on it

also on SB there are a lot of changes

and unfortunately also on Crystal : all the changes after all inclusive evoked by the number 2 of the company and his vice pres F & B

ranging from a stupid chocolate over cheaper mineral waters and transferring traditional lunch dishes to dinner menu

times do change in "luxury" level :D

Not much time for me this morning to get into discussions on statistics and other related subjects. Depart Tuesday afternoon for South Africa, Botswana, etc., seeking warmer weather.

On the debates about "luxury" versus "ultra luxury", the sailing "good old days", our cruising experiences did not start until 2006 in doing our first cruise with Seabourn in the Greek Islands, etc. Then Crystal for the Baltics/Russia in 2008. Have done three cruises with Silversea and two with Celebrity since those first two cruises with Seabourn and Crystal. We are focused most on our priority destinations, reaching key ports and getting good "value". Silversea worked very well early last year for the Amazon River and expect good results starting early next month for us in doing South Africa on the Silver Cloud again. Overall, our experiences with these upscale cruises have been very good. Each cruise, even with the luxury lines, has had a few little items that could have been better and/or closer to being "perfect". BUT, like Keith and others, we do not worry on the "small" items and focus instead on the overall very good benefits and experiences we have enjoyed.

I do not build my "World of Expectations" and/or worry too much on the "marketing hype" by any of the varied cruise lines. For us, it is about where we want to go, getting good service, food and value, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 35,216 views for these postings.

You keep going back to crowd control.

Regent Navigator takes 490 passengers. Their Prime 7 Steak House seats about 36. They allow every passenger at least one night without up-charge.

SB's evening specialty Restaurant 2 on the aft end, was never attended by more than a few dozen people. There was no limit on the number of times you may go there nor up-charge.

Seishin was nearly empty every night last week. I don't eat beef. There was no point in us paying $80 bucks to get the identical Sushi/Sashimi offered on the buffet, along with a piece of Wagyu beef I won't eat.

But us attending Seishin is not the point

I'm comparing measurable differences and deficiencies here that are indisputable: The fact of no evening entertainment on SS and it everyplace elsewhere. And the up-charges on SS and none elsewhere.

And your assertion that you had no in-house entertainment on SB just doesn't sound right. We've been going on SB since the late 80's and NEVER was there a cruise without in-house and, outside entertainment.

Perhaps other SB vet cruisers might weigh in if they never had in-house entertainment or not?

I am sure that Prime 7 has more than one seating. That was not the case with La Champagne.

Maybe we were on different ships. When we dined at Seisin it was full once everyone was seated. Mid-way through the cruise I tried to get another reservation there and it was full. In fact, most restaurants were.

Most of the items on the Japanese menu were not beef. :)

Sorry if you don't agree with me. On our sailings on the Pride there was no in house entertainment. There was always a husband/wife team (Pianist and a Singer) and one other person at any given time which might be a comedian or a magician, etc. There was no place for major performances. But that did not take away from our enjoyment. It is a very unique experience and one that many will never get to experience.

Sorry you didn't care for the cruise but that doesn't take away from those of us who enjoyed it and thought it was a luxury experience.

Happy Saturday.

Keith

Edited by Keith1010

I think it is perfectly reasnable for all CC'ers to say that they take marketing hype with a pinch of salt and to expand the argument to focussing on the positive and all that stuff.

My concern is that this argument let's corporations that gratuitously and systematically over-bloat their promises and neglect to mention the restrictions - off the hook.

I know I sound like a soppy old git, but I am concerned for example for that collection of people who we all seem to forget but are the enormous number of hard working people who work hard all the way through their lives and save up for a trip of a lifetime at retirement and this expense is a once in a lifetime's experience - and who are not CC'ers but rely instead for information on the glossy brochure, the video, the web site and both the detail and the spirit of the promises. They spend their life savings on a single once in a lifetime trip. They do not have the luxury of experience and shrugging philosphically and just focussing on the positive and ignoring the negative. In their mind they have read the promises and feel that they are paying for exceptional basket of luxury expectations for a once in a lifetime's experience.

Those people deserve to get what they should reasonably expect.

:)

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Jeff:

I really don't follow your point.

It is incumbent on all of us to do the research.

But I don't see where anything on the web site is different than what we experienced.

Yes, photos will often have models on cruise line web sites as they do on most web sites.

Keith

Sorry you didn't care for the cruise but that doesn't take away from those of us who enjoyed it and thought it was a luxury experience.

Keith

I get It that you wish to discuss alleged 'cold soup' and refuse to address services advertised and not delivered and, features deficient on SS that other cruise line offer.

M’kay, lets see what others have said in over 2,000 Cruise Critic reviews about the soup (Dining ratings):

SS = 3 Stars

Regent = 4 Stars

SB = 4 Stars

Azamara = 4 Stars

Crystal = 4 Stars

Edited by Kilroyshere

Jeff:

But I don't see where anything on the web site is different than what we experienced.

Keith

The website advertises complimentary shuttles into port towns (this is listed under 'All Inclusive' on their website).

There were none other than from the ship to the end of the dock in Cozumel and Guatemala.

Port town shuttles in Guatemala (2 miles to the town and beach), Belize (1 mile) and Cozumel were not there as advertised.

Edited by Kilroyshere

LOL. It says that shuttles are provided in most towns and that is certainly the case for all luxury lines. But no surprises at these ports. In some ports of call you are right downtown as in Cozumel. Have never had a shuttle provided by any luxury line given where we docked and in some ports the local authorities prevent the use of shuttles so that the tour guide operators and the taxi drivers don't lose business.

Again, have had the same experience on other luxury lines.

The key is to do the homework in advance as we did. We did not expect shuttles in these ports.

Keith

LOL. It says that shuttles are provided in most towns and that is certainly the case for all luxury lines. But no surprises at these ports. In some ports of call you are right downtown as in Cozumel. Have never had a shuttle provided by any luxury line given where we docked and in some ports the local authorities prevent the use of shuttles so that the tour guide operators and the taxi drivers don't lose business.

Keith

The town centers were not at the end of the dock. The website says:

"Roundtrip transportation from the pier to the heart of town is provided in most ports of call." *

We had 3 ports of call with hearts of town a long way off and none had a shuttle.

If they advertise it and get paid the price advertised, they ought deliver it.

SS didn't do that.

* http://www.silversea.com/onboard/all-inclusive/

And I thought that is what I said. I said that their site said that it said that transport is provided in most porte of call but it did not say all ports of call and there are ports around the world that this is not possible.

Are you planning on following up with SS about your concerns?

Keith

And I thought that is what I said. I said that their site said that it said that transport is provided in most porte of call but it did not say all ports of call and there are ports around the world that this is not possible.

Are you planning on following up with SS about your concerns?

Keith

What part about advertising "MOST" and delivering none don't you get?

Trust me I get it.

You happened to be on a cruise where we didn't have any. You also could have been on a cruise that was 100% shuttles.

Are you following up with SS with about all this because your issue seems to be with them.

Keith

It's the cumulative total of missing amenities advertised and/or available on other Luxury other cruise lines charging similar fares that were missing on SS, that add up to a big swing and a miss on SS.

I've tried to keep my posts to measurable events, amenities, services and features. I've used Cruise Critics own data (Food for example which SS scored lowest among SB, Azamara, Regent and Crystal).

You make a lot of 'scuses for SS and some just don't fly or I don't buy. And you seem if I use the term coined by others herein, their 'cheerleader'...I feel like I'm already following up with SS here...

Edited by Kilroyshere

Kilroyshere

I have been reading your posts. It seems like you have lets call them problems with every Luxury cruise line.

If that is the case why bother to cruise ? The posting on CC are a very small amount of people that cruise every year. So the statics are really not that great. If things where that bad would they still be in business.

We have been on cruises that people have complained about this or that and we say to each other what are they talking about.

But in the long run you will still cruise. Remember they can not please everyone every time.

I would like to throw in that the 2 SS cruises that I liked the least were the beach trips out of Florida but it had NOTHING to do with what the cruiseline did or didn't do. The passenger group that stuck out in my mind were a lot of (not all) very entitled, cranky and spoiled old people. I am no youngster but I felt that the staff went out of their way to the point where the word no should have been used once in awhile. Although I am late to this discussion, I did ask for more raspberries one day which were gladly provided and while kidding around with one of the buffet guys I thought I was making a joke when I said that I bet those canned peaches are a real crowd pleaser. Like it or not folks, he said that the older people very much want the soft canned fruits...not all but many..... Would that be an example of a line providing just what the customer wants? If it wasn't for the incentive group on board, there would have been zero nightlife on board. I would absolutely bet the management has to take into consideration the passenger base on each cruise when trying to schedule things. I found inside seat saving and library sleeping extremely irritating. To infer that this was the whole passenger group would be unfair however it certainly had an effect on the vibe of the cruise. Where are all the statistics and explanations that fit this in with the equation from all the analytical, self proclaimed experts? I just can't imagine the nonsense that will be forthcoming.Thankfully, each sailing is different.

Kilroyshere

I have been reading your posts. It seems like you have lets call them problems with every Luxury cruise line.

If that were true and it's not, are the cheerleaders posts any less valid than mine?

If you actually read my previous posting history you've seen kudos given (even on some aspects of SS), a very highly rated post cruise review for another cruise line, I've asked for advice (asking for taxi referrals in Athens, Greece), been on roll call for upcoming cruises and more...

No, your assertions about me are not true nor ought they be part of this thread.

Edited by Kilroyshere

Just two points Kilroy.

Crystal do up charge for Prego and Silk Road after you have eaten there I think once in a fourteen day cruise.

Seabourn have always had onboard entertainment on the little sisters.

David E Green was the cruise director of the Pride for most of its life with Seabourn and he is still around and the longest serving member of staff.

Cruise directors were employed to entertain as well as do the general CD tasks.

David is a singer and also you mentioned Eric de Gray who is now with Azamara,he is also a singer and a comedian.

The CD also had an assistant CD and a social hostess all were employed for their entertainment skills as performers.

Seabourn has always brought on magicians,comedians and musical instrumentalists.

On the newer ships the CD is not employed so much to entertain but some of them still sing and augment the entertainers that come aboard.

The SS cruise we just debarked had outside entertainer onboard

I cannot remember whom the first one was.... entertainment isn't a must for me, but i do partake if dinner fits in and the show time is suitable.

The second was pianist Kym Purling. He's also done Crystal and Azamara stints. We were fortunate in that we had dinner with him and he was an excellent companion.

Our last SB cruise, the entertainment group that boarded in Ushuaia were obnoxious. The large group would occupy tables around the pool area while guests had no seating. The male singer/comedian? in particular thought the sun shone from his own orifice. Their attitudes were so bad that I refused to attend the shows despite having sea days.

With regard to Port Shuttles, we had them in most ports. Not in Phuket (taxi union) nor Sabang or Malacca where it was short walks into town.Many people complained there were no tours in Sabang and some did not get off the ship for that reason. Had they gotten off the ship they would have realised the place did not have the infrastructure to provides tours. A significant number of pax said the stop should have been dropped because there was nothing to do. This was not the case. There were several beaches (taxi or tuktuk required) The town itself was interesting and those who took time to wander around found it to be a friendly and photogenic place.

With regards to R2 on SB... no upcharge but they did limit one reservation on boarding. They do have an upcharge for the matching wine package if you are lucky enough to have it offered to you. It could be waitlisted after that. FWIW the meals in R2 did not even come close to Le Champagne 4 different visits and menus in our case as it was never hard to get a table on a more than 7 night cruise. However R2 is now a moot point as it undergoes its Keller reincarnation.

I'll stand by my point the statistic are only an overview. They are not scientifically controlled data points. I remember the first words said in my stats class at Uni. You can achieve anything you want with statistics, you just need to manipulate the data the right way.. I suspect this is why the discrepancy in the results Kilroy has achieve vs the % expressed on the top.

I'll stand by my point the statistic are only an overview. They are not scientifically controlled data points. I remember the first words said in my stats class at Uni. You can achieve anything you want with statistics, you just need to manipulate the data the right way.. I suspect this is why the discrepancy in the results Kilroy has achieve vs the % expressed on the top.

There's a controversy as to whether or not it was Mark Twain who said,

"There are lies, damn lies and statistics"

but, as you have stated, statistics are often meaningless, or worse! :D:p:cool:

Seabourn have always had onboard entertainment on the little sisters.

David E Green was the cruise director of the Pride for most of its life with Seabourn and he is still around and the longest serving member of staff.

Cruise directors were employed to entertain as well as do the general CD tasks.

David is a singer and also you mentioned Eric de Gray who is now with Azamara,he is also a singer and a comedian.

The CD also had an assistant CD and a social hostess all were employed for their entertainment skills as performers.

Seabourn has always brought on magicians,comedians and musical instrumentalists.

On the newer ships the CD is not employed so much to entertain but some of them still sing and augment the entertainers that come aboard.

Agreed on all points.

Your post contradicts when Keith stated:

"Sorry if you don't agree with me. On our sailings on the Pride there was no in house entertainment"

I just cannot believe there was no entertainment as we've sailed SB many times and without exception, they had both their own staff of entertainers and professionals who boarded the ship who also entertained.

There's a controversy as to whether or not it was Mark Twain who said,

"There are lies, damn lies and statistics"

but, as you have stated, statistics are often meaningless, or worse! :D:p:cool:

"Nobody ever lost a dollar by underestimating the taste of the American public." - P. T. Barnum

Kilroy, am sure Keith was flattered to be referred to as a Silversea Cheerleader. IMO, Keith is one of, (if not the absolute top) the most balanced (and polite) posters on cruise critic.

Altho, Keith will not post this in your face (esp on the Silversea thread) but he is probably the #1 Cheerleader for Crystal cruises--know of no cruise critic poster who more articulately posts (in a balanced manner) their passion for their fav cruise line than Keith does for Crystal. It also speaks highly of Keith's balanced approach to cruising despite his love of Crystal, both Anne Marie and Keith are willing to give other cruise lines a try.

Agree with the point Keith may be trying to make with you Kilroy, going directly to Silversea may be more productive than posting here (no guarantee Silversea reads or reacts to cruise critic posts). If you are interested in opening a personal dialogue with Silversea recommend you contact the Guest Relations Manager, Frank Sansone.