ANC - Embassy Suites or Captain Cook, 1 night precruise

Wishing on a star

The Captain Cook would be cheaper, but I like the fact that we would get a newly renovated room and that Embassy breakfast at the Embassy Suites. I also prefer newer, over dated and possibly dark/musty.

Would convenience be a factor?

I believe Embassy Suites offers shuttle close to Alaska Railway Station? Both probably have Airport shuttle.

Not sure where we would have supper if we were at the Embassy Suites?

I looked into both hotels to add an additional night pre cruise-tour.

There is nothing on their current webpage about the airport shuttle -- you may need to e-mail re that; The Captain Cook does not have one but taxi looks reasonable.

Restaurants: Loads in the Captain Cook area; not so much at Embassy Suites.

In the end it all depends on what you are doing next and where you need to be. The restaurant options were the deciding factor for us.

While I've never stayed at the Embassy Suites I have stayed at the Captain Cook and will be there again this weekend.

The Captain Cook definitely is not an airy, light sort of place with a high atrium lobby. The public rooms tend to be dark and have a sense of being "massive." The property is in great shape, but the public decoration is of the sort which would appeal to my grand-mothers and great grand-mothers. But the rooms are certainly not musty and many have great views. And the location can't be beat in terms of options for meals. I also am not aware that the Captain Cook has ever offered a complementary airport shuttle.

While I've never stayed at the Embassy Suites I have stayed at the Captain Cook and will be there again this weekend.

The Captain Cook definitely is not an airy, light sort of place with a high atrium lobby. The public rooms tend to be dark and have a sense of being "massive." The property is in great shape, but the public decoration is of the sort which would appeal to my grand-mothers and great grand-mothers. But the rooms are certainly not musty and many have great views. And the location can't be beat in terms of options for meals. I also am not aware that the Captain Cook has ever offered a complementary airport shuttle.

I liked the Captain Cook - but you are right, the public rooms are dark. When I was there, there was a lot of dark wood, dark leather and had a nautical feeling. Not sure if it is still that way. On a side note, I was in my 30's when I stayed there (not too old).

Room had a great view, no complaints about the room and great location. Lots of good restaurants near by. Would stay here again in a heart beat. Service was exceptional and there was no musty smell at all.

Edited by Coral

BAC used to have the Captain Cook as a regular stop from/to the airport. They still have the service but it appears they’ll pick up and drop anywhere in midtown/downtown now. $10 per person one way.

I don’t consider the Cook musty but certainly a bit dark. The rooms are usually kept very nice and updated. As mentioned, you’ll have more dining options downtown.

There’s a Fred Meyer about ¼ mile from Embassy which would be nice if you need to stock up and although there are sidewalks, that area of Midtown isn’t very walker friendly.

My choice would be the Cook.

We stayed at Captain Cook as part of a land tour package and I highly recommend it because you could walk to almost everything you wanted to do in Anchorage. Here is a post I wrote with suggestions for where to stay and what to do on a 3 day trip to Anchorage, and I recommended Captain Cook.

http://72hourstogo.blogspot.com/search/label/72%20Hours%20in%20Anchorage

You could also consider the Marriott Town Place Suites that are across the street from Embassy. They too include a free breakfast and have an airport shuttle. It’s been open for about 13 months now so is one of the newer hotels in Anchorage. Have to imagine it would cost less than Embassy too.

That is a good question. Not real certain which we would select if facing the same choice. Since we live in mid-town we don't have the opportunity to try out many of our home-town hotels. We have stayed in the Captain Cook a few times over the years, mostly around New Years. Of the downtown premier hotels (The Cook, Hilton, Sheraton and Millennium) the Cook is the largest and generally regarded as number one, particularly right now since the downtown Hilton and downtown Sheraton are besieged with labor strife.

The perceived dark interior of the Cook originates from the creator, Wally Hickel, who tried to emulate the inside of the great Navigator Captain Cook's ships the Endeavor and Discovery. I think that is great. The rooms however are well lighted with good views and not as dark as the main public areas might appear to some. The downtown Hilton used to be the Anchorage Westward which also had a seagoing theme and was the number one hotel in Alaska at one time. Hilton took over and after promising to keep the "Westward" name intact, which they reneged on, soon changed the decor to light colored pastels, etc. fit more for Miami Beach. It is true that all of these downtown premier hotels are located within easy walking distance of some very fine restaurants, many of which are our favorites.

The Embassy Suites' layout and rooms appears to have an excellent reputation and good reviews. This hotel is located not all that far from what they are beginning to call "Hotel Row" in Anchorage, all located in mid-town. This one is located not far at all from choice locations to eat and shop (Sears Maul is right across the street). I would shun though the advice to walk to Fred Meyer's, as that grocery outlet is to the East and one has to take life in hand in order to cross all the lanes of the major Seward Highway arterial to get there and back, unless of course, you take the hotel's free shuttle. There are many other choices of inerest within easy walking distance of the Embassy Suites.

However, all the amenities offered by Embassy Suites, and not offered by the majors, particularly the shuttle service to just about anywhere in town, makes it very hard to beat. I'm confused as to whether or not they offer free wi-fi, their website info is conflicting in that regard. I do like free wi-fi or at least inexpensive wi-fi.

As mentioned, downtown Anchorage has excellent choices to dine as there are many fine cuisine restaurants and besides the many eateries and bars downtown (very few are rowdy) there are the theatres and the top attraction in Anchorage, the museum, other than that, not much. So, my decision, if I were an out of towner just visiting without wheels, hello---Embassy Suites.

I would shun though the advice to walk to Fred Meyer's, as that grocery outlet is to the East and one has to take life in hand in order to cross all the lanes of the major Seward Highway arterial to get there and back, unless of course, you take the hotel's free shuttle.

Or, for people you didn't put the fear into, they can use the cross walks and pedestrian signals.

Or, for people you didn't put the fear into, they can use the cross walks and pedestrian signals.

Ever try to cross the New Seward at one of those intersections yourself? Good for you if you did and survived. But there is a reason why one of the highest volumes of pedestrians who get splattered happen to get it along that stretch and other similar ones. For the visitor, listen to us fear mongers, my advice is, take the shuttles or a cab and avoid crossing the major arterials. http://www.alaskapublic.org/2015/01/14/making-walking-in-anchorage-safer/

we were going to stay at the captain cook, but ended up getting a much better deal at the hilton - and for a concierge room.

We were really happy with our choice. We stayed there for two nights.

The woman who runs the concierge lounge breakfast is a sweetie. Worth the room just to spend some time with her!!!

we stayed in the taller of the two buildings (don't remember what it's called). The room was lovely.

the other nice thing about the hilton, it is just up the hill from the train station. Very convenient.

oh and one more thing, i had lots of stuff shipped to us in alaska, to the hotel.

It was waiting for us when we checked in. Excellent service.

And the staff was very professional and nice.

Edited by alaska_planner

• 7 months later...

I just returned from a season in wilderness Alaska and happened to visit a store close to the Sears Mall, near the Northern Lights and Seward Highway intersection. Crime scene tape all over the place brought back my recollections of discussions on this thread. So I reread them.

The Embassy Suites is a fine establishment and I do recommend a stay there. However, in our posts the subject of the nearby Fred Meyer's shopping complex to the east and the dangers of crossing this intersection came to mind. I realize now that we didn't mention that the Wall Mart complex is directly to the west with no large complex intersections to cross. Perhaps even a shorter walk. So I recommend shunning Fred Meyer's in favor of walking to the Wall Mart when staying at the Embassy Suites.

Any doubts? Read this: http://www.adn.com/alaska-news/crime-courts/2016/09/06/driver-charged-with-manslaughter-in-fatal-midtown-hit-and-run/

The Embassy Suites is a fine establishment and I do recommend a stay there. However, in our posts the subject of the nearby Fred Meyer's shopping complex to the east and the dangers of crossing this intersection came to mind. I realize now that we didn't mention that the Wall Mart complex is directly to the west with no large complex intersections to cross. Perhaps even a shorter walk. So I recommend shunning Fred Meyer's in favor of walking to the Wall Mart when staying at the Embassy Suites.

Yes, if you feel that crossing the street to Fred Meyer is a risk, then walk the ½ mile to Walmart. I’m sure that there will be others that share your view although Embassy Suites recommends walking across the street to Fred Meyer.

We choose a city central location when staying precruise night. And avoid chains when we can while traveling. Captain Cook was perfect for us. Lots of choices for meals nearby. A handful of nice shops in the hotel to browse and a convenience store directly across the street for last min. snacks for the bus/train rides. We had a nice corner room allowing for lots of views.

Edited by eandj

We stayed at the Captain Cook and my daughter still talks about it. The rollaway bed was a double size. The antique/gift shop inside had a stuffed animal made out of a recycled fur coat and a Faberge egg for sale that was missing the inside secret treasure.