Upgrade or Upsell ?

holacanada

HI fellow cruisers,

I am surprised and disappointed for an email that I received from HA.

They had told me an upgrade as it was only a upsell.

A wrong word (upgrade instead upsell) but it made me loose a lots of minutes on the phone with an attendant in HA HQ.

In fact they asked me to add more in 1500 dollars if I want a NS !

Is there any UPSELL offer by HA anymore ??!

Holacanada in SE Asia in less than one month.

Edited by holacanada

To HAL both paid and unpaid are upgrades. Upsell is a term mainly used on Cruise Critic.

What JTL said. You have been on CC too much! The suites (on any line) attract a different clientele -- and they would like to move you to that population. You will love your junior suite or balcony stateroom!

There are (relatively) lots of "upsell" (CC term) offers. There are relatively few UPGRADE (no $$) offers. My feeling is that upgrades happen within a category (not from one to the next higher) and may in fact go to guarantees... but most guarantees end up in what they booked! Only if someone above their sub-category takes an upsell, do the lowest move up (usually in position on the ship).

What JTL said. You have been on CC too much! The suites (on any line) attract a different clientele -- and they would like to move you to that population. You will love your junior suite or balcony stateroom!

There are (relatively) lots of "upsell" (CC term) offers. There are relatively few UPGRADE (no $$) offers. My feeling is that upgrades happen within a category (not from one to the next higher) and may in fact go to guarantees... but most guarantees end up in what they booked! Only if someone above their sub-category takes an upsell, do the lowest move up (usually in position on the ship).

What are junior suites? I've never heard that terminology before. Thx.

Edited by cruz chic

Have you booked a guarentee? Often the assignments of guarentee bookings are "upgrades" (free).

If not a guarentee booking, there are sometimes free upgrades, but this seems quite unusual. Mostly, as you have experienced, HAL offers to let you pay more for a better cabin category than you booked (upsell).

Enjoy your cruise.

Assignments on guarentees are often not within the category. We've not yet been assigned what we booked and often get out of one category and into the next one up, such as MM to E; K to D: J to C. Sometimes we've been assigned within a category, MM to J for example.

Upsells, definitely lots as you note, on many cruises, go from one category to another: MM to D to VB for example.

Pretty hard generalize about how these work: our experience shows a lot of possibilities.

Have you booked a guarentee? Often the assignments of guarentee bookings are "upgrades" (free).

If not a guarentee booking, there are sometimes free upgrades, but this seems quite unusual. Mostly, as you have experienced, HAL offers to let you pay more for a better cabin category than you booked (upsell).

Enjoy your cruise.

I'm not sure why you think this is unusual. Upsells are always called "upgrades" when they get sent out.

By "category", I mean inside, oceanview, balcony, mini or junior suites on lines that have them, and then the various levels of suites.

If someone thought I meant the arbitrary letters that the line assigns to cabins as the category, I apologize.

While I am a HAL fangirl, I sometimes answer questions in other sub-forums and so forgive me for using line-non-specific terminology.

I'm not sure why you think this is unusual. Upsells are always called "upgrades" when they get sent out.

Terminology is so confusing!

I mean free upgrades when booked a specific cabin seem to be unusual.

What I have found is usual is the paid upsell for these. And the free upgrade for guarentees.

Edited by SilvertoGold

Terminology is so confusing!

I mean free upgrades when booked a specific cabin seem to be unusual.

What I have found is usual is the paid upsell for these. And the free upgrade for guarentees.

I think I know what you mean but I seem to be having a seniors moment. The unpaid upgrades can go to either guarantees or those that take a specific room, although that is more uncommon. Upsells or paid upgrades should go out equally to those that booked a guarantee room or selected one.

Assignments on guarentees are often not within the category. We've not yet been assigned what we booked and often get out of one category and into the next one up, such as MM to E; K to D: J to C. Sometimes we've been assigned within a category, MM to J for example.

Upsells, definitely lots as you note, on many cruises, go from one category to another: MM to D to VB for example.

Pretty hard generalize about how these work: our experience shows a lot of possibilities.

It's been rare for me to get an upgrade to the next catagory (example inside to and outside). I'd say most of mine have been within the catagory (outside to a better outside).

It's been rare for me to get an upgrade to the next catagory (example inside to and outside). I'd say most of mine have been within the catagory (outside to a better outside).

We've had very good "luck". Long ago after we got to 100 days, the assignments improved. Not every cruise, but better than before.

Sometimes I think if we get a really good assignment, like MM to E/DD/C, we "paid way too much", as that is the only explanation that makes business sense to me......

We've found it much more rare to get assigned from any outside to any balcony. That is what upsells are for!

Interestingly, once we got to 5 star, we have never once received a better assignment than before.

HAL uses the term "paid upgrade" for what we here on CC call upsells. I figured that sooner later this would cause problems with someone on CC getting confused, so I have mentioned paid upgrades as often as I remember to do so.

Sorry for your disappointment.

Absolutely :D.

I wish the op would return and let us know what his post was about.

I was thinking the same thing. I think the posters on this thread have done a good job of trying to figure this out and solve his question, plus add some info and insite into the subject.

Edited by SilvertoGold

To HAL both paid and unpaid are upgrades. Upsell is a term mainly used on Cruise Critic.

Upsell is also the term used by other cruise lines. I recently received an email from Princess, and the subject had "Upsell Offer" along with my booking number. The three times I've received a meta-upgrade, I either received a call or found out when I logged in. Using different terminology for the paid or free "upgrades" does make it much clearer and would make more sense. On the other hand, when I decided to change my cabin on my HAL cruise from an oceanview to a balcony (for a higher cost of course) I referred to it as upgrading myself, and didn't say I wanted to upsell myself. [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk