no more prepaid gratuities required with open dining

thecruise_guy

If you are that upset by one single incident take to customer relations and discuss it with them. That is a much more effective way of dealing with an isolated problem. Been there, done that so I know it works. I don't like to be one to complain but...sometimes you you have to do it and it is better than penalizing every one

It was a series of incidents and yes I did discuss at length with guest relations. I also asked guest relations could they internally re allocate and they said no. And when I spoke to the maitre d in the restaurant she understood completely and indicated it was not the first incident. I worked in hospitality from the age of 15 to 25 when in education - I never as a customer believe I am above the people who are doing a job serving me. I treat people with respect but there is no way in hell I will hand over additional money to someone who disrespects women and in particular my wife.

And just to go further. I will sail again with Celebrity. Not my best cruise experience but fairly decent quality for the price. Secondly, I have decided to change perspective and prepay as if a service charge and reward extra for something special.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Pavovsky

Went to make final payment today & prepaid gratuities were removed from my statement. I called Captains Club & told them I specifically wanted to prepay gratuities (one less thing to think about & I'm going to pay it anyway, so get it out of the way.). The CC rep said they've been getting lots of calls regarding gratuities this week.

Effective 1/22/2016, gratuities will no longer be automatically added to bookings with Celebrity Select Dining.
Thank you for officially informing us on the 27th that this change would be effective on the 22nd .

Any idea when this information will be passed on to your customer agents ? Any time soon ?

Thank you for officially informing us on the 27th that this change would be effective on the 22nd .

Any idea when this information will be passed on to your customer agents ? Any time soon ?

And when will it be changed on the website? Made a dummy booking on the UK site and pre paid grats were still the only option with select dining.

And since agents are saying different things to different people, I would really like to know if this is truly for new bookings only, or for any booking. I'm glad our booking isn't until September, hopefully everyone will be on the same page by then!

And since agents are saying different things to different people, I would really like to know if this is truly for new bookings only, or for any booking. I'm glad our booking isn't until September, hopefully everyone will be on the same page by then!

I called celebrity yesterday to change our billing....no problem at all. We booked last month while on a cruise.

Just got off the line with a Celebrity agent . What they don't know could fill oceans . She informed me Select Dining required prepayment of gratuities . I said I though this policy had changed . She said , and I quote , "Oh yeah , right ". Sheesh . Nice personality but I was kept on hold 2 times while she checked on stuff for me .

My mum has changed hers, and whilst they've confirmed on the phone and the first page of her booking shows the reduced total cost, when she goes into 'manage reservation' the gratuities are still on there and the total cost is higher.

Is this normal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the problem is that you're using a TA which is probably a little bit delayed in getting the info?

When I called, I called celebrity directly since I booked directly with them.

The TA called Celebrity herself and was told it's for new bookings only. It's a big box TA.

Will keep trying, the number of posters who have reported getting it changed for existing bookings proves our TA was given incorrect information :)

Edited to add that this is the first time we've used this TA, usually we book directly because we don't like dealing with a middle man in cases just like this. Hopefully it will work out without too much frustration. :)

Edited by Cruising-along

I am considering booking a cruise on the Summit and I can choose 2 of the 4 perks ($150 OBC/classic beverage package/prepaid gratuities/free internet). I was planning on doing Select Dining.

I just want to make sure I am understanding all of the above posts correctly that it would be a better value to choose the $150 OBC/person instead of the prepaid gratuities? Just wanted to make sure the OBC can be used on the gratuties

I am considering booking a cruise on the Summit and I can choose 2 of the 4 perks ($150 OBC/classic beverage package/prepaid gratuities/free internet). I was planning on doing Select Dining.

I just want to make sure I am understanding all of the above posts correctly that it would be a better value to choose the $150 OBC/person instead of the prepaid gratuities? Just wanted to make sure the OBC can be used on the gratuties

Yep! We also generally take the OBC and the drink package for that reason.

Yep! We also generally take the OBC and the drink package for that reason.

Why? Doesn't Celebrity charge $16 a day for gratuities out of your account if you do not have a gratuity package? My math tells me it would be about $115 per person on a seven day cruise. That utilizes almost all of that $150 OBC. Is the $150 per person or room?

I have booked a 14 day cruise and received both the beverage package and gratuities plus OBC. When I booked they told me there was no more room for two dinning times and they would have to put me in as select dinning. My confusion from this post is the tipping while dinning with select. If I have gratuities pre-paid am I expected to pay each night I dine I need to pay an additional gratuity.

I do not understand the difference between gratuities with select dinning and traditional.

With the very recent change by celebrity, there is no difference in the gratuities. You always paid the same but in the past, if you had select dining, you had to pay the full gratuities at time of final payment....rather than on the ship. Early/late seatings did not have to pay gratuities in advance. Celebrity just changed that so it doesn't matter where you eat, you pay the gratuities on the ship and they are charged to your account daily.

The gratuities are the same irrespective of where you eat. If you eat in a specialty restaurant, part of your payment for the meal is gratuities...it won't be added to the price you pay. Gratuities for any drink that is covered under your drink package are included in the price of the drink package.

Edited by ghstudio

With the very recent change by celebrity, there is no difference in the gratuities. You always paid the same but in the past, if you had select dining, you had to pay the full gratuities at time of final payment....rather than on the ship. Early/late seatings did not have to pay gratuities in advance. Celebrity just changed that so it doesn't matter where you eat, you pay the gratuities on the ship and they are charged to your account daily.

The gratuities are the same irrespective of where you eat. If you eat in a specialty restaurant, part of your payment for the meal is gratuities...it won't be added to the price you pay. Gratuities for any drink that is covered under your drink package are included in the price of the drink package.

You have finally explain the difference so it makes sense. i always wondered about the specialty dinning tipping as well. Wasn't sure whether to tip or not, we have done both.

Your best course depends on how many days your cruise is and which category you are booking in.

Yes, the gratuities can now be paid with your OBC no matter which dining you select.