One Piece vs. Two Piece Swimwear

katmu

I'm another Lands End fan - great prices on sale items, and they often have separates in bra sizing. As a "well-endowed" woman, I appreciate that! (plus, Lands End orders can be returned to Sears stores - some, at least)

I noticed last year they added a TON of new rash guard styles too - short sleeve, long sleeve, tunic etc. Even one that's a dress/coverup. I already havea couple of Columbia dresses that are that fabric so I don't need more - but they are great for travel in hot & humid climates!!!

Edited by Hoyaheel

I think I'm going to make an outing this weekend to Bloomington. There is a Lands End Outlet on the way to the MOA where there are 2 swimsuit stores plus Nordstrom, Macys and Tommy Bahama so hopefully I can at least figure out what styles look good on me.

There is an Athleta near my house so I'm going to stop there tomorrow after work and see what they have for the rashguards.

I really appreciate all of the help ladies, shopping for swimsuits is the worst and I don't love shopping anyway.

I wear either a sport bra or an old bikini top under the rashguard; no one is going to see it ;)

Awhfy: which color did you get? I'm leaning toward the black/white one. I basically live in Athleta year-round - shorts, pants, skirts, leggings, sweaters, shirts, bathing suits, hats. the only thing I can't buy are their jackets - they just don't fit my old swimmer shoulders and long arms correctly :( For my jackets, it's Patagonia, Mountain Hard Wear and Marmot!

Edited by slidergirl

Slidergirl, I got the bright blue with pattern down the side. Fits great. Jackets for me, Marmot, Patagonia, Mountain Hard Wear & sometimes Columbia. I do have a Tek Gear packable hooded jacket that I use for travel as it literally doesn't weigh anything & packs into its own pouch.

I wear a lot of Athleta, great quality.

Edited by awhfy

Slidergirl, I got the bright blue with pattern down the side. Fits great. Jackets for me, Marmot, Patagonia, Mountain Hard Wear & sometimes Columbia. I do have a Tek Gear packable hooded jacket that I use for travel as it literally doesn't weigh anything & packs into its own pouch.

I wear a lot of Athleta, great quality.

Just saw you were in Colorado Springs - we both dress the "mountain" lifestyle!!! I have also contributed to the Canadian economy by purchasing some soft shells/down items at the MEC. My dress-up boots in the winter are my Sorel Cate The Greats - either the grey ones or, for more formal occasions, the black ones ;)

I'm not too much of a blue person - that's why I'm thinking of the black/white combo. I hopefully have a vacation in April to Puerto Rico - I want to grab one more rashguard to put in my rotation. I also wear my rashguards as shirts when I'm out hiking/trail running, so they get a lot of use!

Slidergirl we're expecting an Albuquerque low (major snow storm, blizzard like) this weekend. Just dug out my Sorels (white snowmobile boots). Lol! I normally get by here with my Ahnu gortex hiking boots cause our snow doesn't usually last too long.

I love the "stink free" Athleta rashguards, now have 4; this new blue, hot pink, cactus (bright lime) green & black. I also have a couple of their tank tops (in coordinating colors, of course) & real fond of the Trekker skort (dress em up or down as you wish)

Out shopping, went to Lands End first. Liked the bottom, but the top was bugging me. Stopped at Macy's but yet didn't have much in my size. Athleta had a decent selection but the rash guards only in long sleeve. I'm definitely going to order the sleeveless rash guard. Need to decide on a suit now.

Opinions welcome on the pics about what styles might look good on me.f1ab8fd43fe323e3a4918f0bed8f3cf4.jpg075808086fa912fb53679c3f9d91c0b3.jpgc272d54b75de03f84a18cefaf823d2a9.jpga5d2c7435fd6db6da6684f0dc3955a5c.jpg6f3daf1c91c96f562e41c4f265335406.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the dressing room with the curtain at LE or Macy's? I think the halter top (in the curtained dressing room) is very flattering. I like it better than the top in the dressing room with the door. I can't see your shoulders in that first pic, but seems to me the halter with the lover v makes you look 10 lbs slimmer and makes your shoulders/arms look awesome.

Our cruise may not be until December but I already have a serious case of swimsuit on the brain. Maybe it's the fact I will need to go home and run the snowblower again tonight.

I tried on several of the swimsuits I already own and I'm really struggling with that type of suit to look for. I somehow feel more confident in my one piece suits than in the 2 pieces. I'm not sure if other women feel this way but for me to wear a two piece I feel like I need to be at my absolute best weight and I'm just not there at the moment. I don't normally like tankinis on me as I'm short-waisted.

I'm just feeling lost and need some guidance. I work out 4-5X a week but trying on swimsuits for 10 minutes can make me feel like it's all been for naught. I also have some age-appropriate concerns as I'm 45. I'm 5'3" and 125 lbs at the moment. I've had 2 kids so I don't love my stomach mostly due to some stretch marks.

I'm debating if posting pics of me (no face) in a few of the suits might be helpful or not to get advice on what sort of styles might work for me. The ladies on this board seem a lot more knowledgeable about fit than me. Any tips on good places to shop for swimsuits not made for teenagers are welcome too.

I was looking at a few of these at Lands End:

This one reminds me a bit of one I already have-

http://www.landsend.com/products/womens-shape-enhance-ultra-v-neck-one-piece-swimsuit/id_289168?sku_0=::BLA

http://www.landsend.com/products/womens-shaping-halter-one-piece-swimsuit/id_259427?sku_0=::BLA

http://www.landsend.com/products/womens-shape-enhance-scoopneck-one-piece-swimsuit/id_290205?sku_0=::BLA

Surely the only answer is, "whatever you are comfortable in".

It's the Athleta Shirrendipty tankini and Full Tide bottom, right??? Being black, I can't tell for sure of the style… But, it looks good on you!!!

Yes it's the Shirrendipty tankini. The bottom is the mid tide shirred, although I would probably order the full tide. I'm still debating about ordering one of the shorts type bottoms too. That was the dark blue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I usually bring 6 or 7 swimwear with me. They take up hardly any room you can stuff them in a shoe and decide on the cruise what you feel like wearing ☺

Thank you. I'm definitely planning to bring at least 3 suits as I really can't stand putting on a wet suit.

PS. I like the bottom one the best (halter neck, boy shorts )

I thought the shorts might be good if we do some more active excursions.

I like tankinis simply for ease of doing my 'duty' ;)

Anyone who has done much swimming knows how to use the restroom without stripping off your swimsuit.

The problem I see with tankinis is that they look really good when standing still, but they tend to gap and show the midriff as soon as you move around. Getting on and off of loungers is when I see this happen a lot. The tops need to be quite long for this not to occur. But tankinis are great if you need two different sizes.

I prefer to wear a one piece and pull shorts on over it if I want more coverage.

Like awhfy, I just picked up the Paddleout Space Dye tank rashguard from Athleta. By no means is it going to let your mid-section show!!! The self-ruching on the sides let you go as long or a short as you want. And, it's not confining, either, but a nice light layer that also gives SPF30 protection. I got the one in black, awhfy got the blue. As I said, I use the rashguards as my bathing suit tops, just wearing a sports bra or a cheap bikini top on top - no one is going to see them!!

I also bought the Streamline bottom - nice medium rise with that pop of multicolor with black sides. I love to mix & match my stuff and these two will work well in that regard.

I usually bring 6 or 7 swimwear with me. They take up hardly any room you can stuff them in a shoe and decide on the cruise what you feel like wearing ☺

If you can stuff 7 swimsuits in a shoe, you either wear very tiny suits or wear very large shoes!

Anyone who has done much swimming knows how to use the restroom without stripping off your swimsuit.

The problem I see with tankinis is that they look really good when standing still, but they tend to gap and show the midriff as soon as you move around. Getting on and off of loungers is when I see this happen a lot. The tops need to be quite long for this not to occur. But tankinis are great if you need two different sizes.

I prefer to wear a one piece and pull shorts on over it if I want more coverage.

I guess I don't swim a lot then. How would you go to the bathroom without taking off the suit? Besides going in your suit in the ocean I mean. My one pieces are cut very low on the leg. You cannot really pull it to the side to get it out of stream's way to go pee. And what if you have to poop?

Before I found my favorite one piece I used to do tankinis too. Never had mine ride up or or gap either. Unless you are wearing a very baggy one, I don't see how they would float up either as someone else mentioned.

075808086fa912fb53679c3f9d91c0b3.jpg

This one is my favorite on you, and I think this one is great for the pool and beach.

a5d2c7435fd6db6da6684f0dc3955a5c.jpg

I really like the rash guard for active excursions. I don't have one, but would like to get one.

You have a great body. Becoming happy and comfortable with yourself takes time, but man is it a great feeling! I am a similar size to you, like an 8-10. I wear one pieces, tankinis, and bikinis. Love the high waisted ones, but I'll wear other ones as well. My husband thinks I'm hot in all of them, my son is happy his mama is playing with him rather than worrying about what I look like to others, and I'm happy and think my suits are pretty, so that's all that matters. Pick the suit you are comfortable in and like and you can't go wrong.

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you. I'm definitely planning to bring at least 3 suits as I really can't stand putting on a wet suit.

I thought the shorts might be good if we do some more active excursions.

These all look great I wish halter tops were as flattering on me but I find they do not give me enough support without hurting my neck. As you mentioned, the shorts bottom would be great for excursions. Good choices

Tankinis are great! Venus has wonderful tops with underwire for support. Swim short or skirts are comfy and cover a lot. Just wear what you feel comfortable in. You will amazed at what you see on the ship as far as the wide range of suits and sizes. Happy cruising!!

• 4 weeks later...