Question about accessible stateroom

kbset

How much more extra should we expect to pay for an accessible stateroom? I'm also assuming they need a doctors note to verify that a guest has a disability?? Thanks :)

No doctor's note needed, and no extra cost.

How much more extra should we expect to pay for an accessible stateroom? I'm also assuming they need a doctors note to verify that a guest has a disability?? Thanks :)

Its against the law on both counts- But we needed to show the dimension of the wheel chair one cruise

Its against the law on both counts- But we needed to show the dimension of the wheel chair one cruise

Isn't it also against the law to ask for service animal papers? I guess some people try and beat the system. Doesn't seem fair.

ZERO.

a balcony cabin on Deck 7 is the same price whether it is accessible or not.

yes you can be expected to verify your need to have an accessible cabin.

Oh wow!! That's great to know :) thank you!

It can be kind of confusing because an accessible cabin can appear to cost more than a regular cabin IF its a different cabin category. For instance, on Freedom of the Seas, all the deck 2 accessible Oceanview cabins are category I cabins while a lot of the regular Oceanview cabins are category G. Accessible inside cabins are category Q while a lot of regular inside cabins are category K.

As example, accessible OV cabin 2648 COULD be priced a little more than the regular OV cabin 2650 right beside it. I know for a fact that I have seen category K inside cabins cheaper than category Q accessible inside. Doesnt make much sense and I may have just confused even more :o

Edited by ryano

A couple of times it has even been cheaper than a regular room.

There is no note required, but there is some fine print on your contract if I recall regarding your actual requirements to use that kind of room.

If you really need the amenities of a special access room, be sure to book ahead as there aren't many per ship and they go fast.

Edited by TBone2K

We obviously don't need an accessible stateroom for our cruise this year but if we cruise from 2017 and on we will because our daughter will have a wheelchair. I always err on the side of caution so I will have a doctors note :) Thanks for all of your replies, I greatly appreciate it!!

I accidentally selected an accessible cabin through a travel agent once, and got a message asking if I really needed it. It was a genuine mistake, and I didn't need it so I called them and selected a different room. I got the impression that if I'd said yes they'd have asked for a doctor's letter or something, but this is in Europe.

It was nice to see that they were protecting those cabins though.

We obviously don't need an accessible stateroom for our cruise this year but if we cruise from 2017 and on we will because our daughter will have a wheelchair. I always err on the side of caution so I will have a doctors note :) Thanks for all of your replies, I greatly appreciate it!!

The accessible stateroom will have a roll in shower, no tub, so not sure if that works for showering your daughter. Not sure how old your daughter is, but if she is still little, many parents bring small, inflatable tubs to bath their kids.

The accessible stateroom will have a roll in shower, no tub, so not sure if that works for showering your daughter. Not sure how old your daughter is, but if she is still little, many parents bring small, inflatable tubs to bath their kids.

Actually, I would find that shower ideal for a blow up tub. So much larger than the std showers. You could probably put her on the fold down seat as well and use the sprayer.

RCCL is very good to find out info about what you need when it comes to those rooms. They actually phoned me 2 weeks before cruise asking myself what I needed.There should be a lot more handicap rooms for people that need them I believe.

RCCL is very good to find out info about what you need when it comes to those rooms. They actually phoned me 2 weeks before cruise asking myself what I needed.There should be a lot more handicap rooms for people that need them I believe.

Unfortunately they lose a cabin for every std accessible that they provide, so I wouldn't count on seeing anymore than the regulated minimum

. I always err on the side of caution so I will have a doctors note :) Thanks for all of your replies, I greatly appreciate it!!

it is against the law for anyone here to ask for a drs note.

You will be asked to fill out a special needs form. You need to book well in advance this is the most annoying for me it keeps me from taking spur of the moment cruises, no accessible rooms. I had to book one cruise a whole year in advance to get a accessible room with a balcony. I cannot use a regular cabin with my wheelchair.

This morning I just booked a Navigator cruise for late August 2016 (Spain & France out of Southampton) and managed to get an accessible balcony cabin - woohoo. I was quite surprised that they had three left. RCI is one of the few cruise lines that still asks for documentation. Last summer we sailed on NCL and they never asked any questions. Would have loved the JS, but I couldn't justify the added $2K.

No difference in price for the same class. We have always been in accessible cabins. My sister needs the bathroom accommodations plus she uses a mobility scooter.

Edited by jpcello

She is terrified of inflatable bathtubs for some ungodly known reason :/ We have a cruise the end of March this year and I figure since the inflatable tub is a no-go, I would just have hubby stand in the shower holding her and I would wash her up that way since she's not able to stand and can't walk.

She is terrified of inflatable bathtubs for some ungodly known reason :/ We have a cruise the end of March this year and I figure since the inflatable tub is a no-go, I would just have hubby stand in the shower holding her and I would wash her up that way since she's not able to stand and can't walk.

Gotta love little ones, you never know what is going to set them off.:p

I have seen posts on the family forum where people just block the drain with a facecloth and have their little ones sit in the shower base and use the hand held shower to bath them that way. If she is able to sit on her own, that might work out if holding her in the shower doesn't work. My guy was always so slippery and squirmy that I got nervous holding him.

You will make it work! Good luck!:)

I have seen posts on the family forum where people just block the drain with a facecloth and have their little ones sit in the shower base and use the hand held shower to bath them that way. If she is able to sit on her own, that might work out if holding her in the shower doesn't work. My guy was always so slippery and squirmy that I got nervous holding him.

That won't work in an accessible cabin since there is no lip

There is no note required, but there is some fine print on your contract if I recall regarding your actual requirements to use that kind of room.

If you really need the amenities of a special access room, be sure to book ahead as there aren't many per ship and they go fast.

There is a form Royal has for proof of NEED for an Accessible Room a good Travel Agent will provide you with it.

(I Have MILD mobility Problem) My Parents & Booked an accessible room in 2009 We filled out part of the form my Doctor Filled most of and Faxed it to Royal in Miami (If memory serves Correctly)

Accessible Rooms ARE ONLY Relased to the Gerenal Public 2 Months Before sail date IF NO Person(s) who require an Accessible have Booked them.

Accessible rooms cost the SAME as the Other rooms in their Category

Standard K & Accessible K Will Cost the Same this is even TRUE of the Accessible JS & Standard JS

AHHH!!! Genius!!! We might try that as we don't have (nor need) an accessible stateroom on our cruise in March :)