Chair hogs on Glory

Bob NC

We were on the Jan 9 sailing of the Glory and the chair hogs were worse than I have ever seen.

Constantly more 'things' on chairs than bodies.

For the most part for every 10 chairs you would see there would be no more than 3 people in them.

There were a couple times we just dumped the book/towels/flip flop off the chairs and took them to where we wanted to sit.

On the last sea day the only place we could find 2 open chairs was on deck 11, (i think), in a smoking area.

Next to us was ONE guy with 5 empty chairs next to him. For a solid hour and a half dozens of people tried to sit in these chairs only to be told by ONEguy that they were "saved."

After an hour and a half ONEguy simply got up and walked away.

Unbelievable.

I was under the impression that if 45 min went by and no one sat in a chair, you could take the stuff off the chair and claim it as your own? I have never tried this cause we are usually out and about on sea days ... if you have had experience with this method of "ejecting" people off chairs, please let me know

Jeff aka Recovery dude

I sympathize because we also had a lot of chair hogging on our Christmas Sunshine cruise. The people saving rows of chairs for friends and family who might show up were among the worst. Unfortunately, when other cruisers see people doing that, they start doing the same. :mad: Carnival was placing 45-minute stickers, but only occasionally and it was too easy for people to remove them from the extra chairs they were saving.

Like you, we sometimes resorted to moving items to sit down. When a couple pointed out that they "had" all eight chairs in the row, we just smiled and said we were going to sit there for five minutes and they shut up. :D

All I can say is just WOW, and shake my head. I guess The moral of the story is there a lot of people that suck! And here's a thought, assuming you have witness these for sometime. Just go over, and when you hear the same story about Tom dick and Harry! Say no problem, I'll hold it down till they show up.

So far, I've never had to "dump" someone else's stuff to find a chair. Granted...I don't want to be in the sardine can next to the pool...I don't mind walking a bit to take a dip! There are loungers EVERYWHERE! Keep looking!

Now, if I'm sitting comfortably in my lounger, and there are "empty" chairs with crap in them that have had no people, and others are searching..I will tell them how long those chairs have been empty....so ask the folks who ARE in loungers!

Chair hogs are everywhere...hotels, beaches, etc....all have them!

We were on the Jan 9 sailing of the Glory and the chair hogs were worse than I have ever seen.

For the most part for every 10 chairs you would see there would be no more than 3 people in them.

There were a couple times we just dumped the book/towels/flip flop off the chairs and took them to where we wanted to sit.

On the last sea day the only place we could find 2 open chairs was on deck 11, (i think), in a smoking area.

Next to us was ONE guy with 5 empty chairs next to him. For a solid hour and a half dozens of people tried to sit in these chairs only to be told by ONEguy that they were "saved."

Unbelievable.

I thought carnival was going to start putting flags on chairs that were unattended for over 30 mins? Last time on the glory we headed out to pool deck around 1030 and got our seats. it wasn't too long after that things seemed pretty taken, at least in the adult pool area.

Unbelievable.

We were on the Dec 26 Glory sailing that was full and never had a problem with chair hogs at all. There were lots of people out but they were in the chairs.

I thought carnival was going to start putting flags on chairs that were unattended for over 30 mins? .

Won't work. Ship staff are not going to risk a confrontation with these inconsiderate people. Not only are they selfish, some would leave dirty dishes, drink cups and garbage all over the pool deck area.

CHOGS 🚫 Throw their stuff away the second the time limits up. They'll start getting the clue after coming back a hour or two later to a seat without their items......U CHOGS reading this know who you are......Lets make 2016 a No Chog Year 👍🏻

I thought carnival was going to start putting flags on chairs that were unattended for over 30 mins? Last time on the glory we headed out to pool deck around 1030 and got our seats. it wasn't too long after that things seemed pretty taken, at least in the adult pool area.

On our cruise, I did see them putting 45-minute stickers on Serenity chairs in the early afternoon on a sea day. When the chair hogs were claiming the entire lido deck by 8 a.m., the towel hut staff told me that they would only start stickering chairs when there were basically no empty chairs anywhere. The stickers did help Carnival reclaim some chairs, but they were used only very limitedly.

The other problem with the stickers is that they don't stop: (1) People who claim a row of chairs for friends/family who may show up hours later. Those people can just remove the stickers from their extra chairs and cruise staff likely won't confront them. (2) People who save nearby chairs in the sun and shade. I saw those people just remove the stickers. (3) People clever enough to return and check on their chairs every half hour or so.

I would like Carnival to find a gentle and humorous way to let cruisers know that chair-saving is not the way that cool cruisers behave. :) Seriously, it will take a change in mindset more than enforcement. I have a feeling that the worst chair-hogging cruises happen when people think that, if they don't save those chairs, someone else will.

Unbelievable.

They are every where.

If you go to sit and maybe move stuff, and someone says "That chair is saved", just tell them, "I will leave as soon as they come." That is so reasonable, how can they object? If they are nasty, which most people wouldn't be, just move on and try it on a different chair.

Ahh chair hogging. A dilemma without any real viable solutions. Carnival can sticker all the chairs they like and the problem will just go on and on because people ignore the stickers or remove them, like someone else said.

The only real solution is for Carnival to assign chairs as people hit the lido deck. Or rent them out, by the hour.

If you go to sit and maybe move stuff, and someone says "That chair is saved", just tell them, "I will leave as soon as they come." That is so reasonable, how can they object? If they are nasty, which most people wouldn't be, just move on and try it on a different chair.

We used to do that at cheer competitions. The vast majority of the time, no one ever showed up. If they do, just move on and do it with the next chair you find.

Quote:

Originally Posted by paluni viewpost.gif

We used to do that at cheer competitions. The vast majority of the time, no one ever showed up. If they do, just move on and do it with the next chair you find.

__ Interesting answer post! I thought of saying "I used to do this all the time at Irish dancing competitions," because there was always a shortage of chairs there! It appears we had the same experience with our kids' dance competitions! People save chairs; ya gotta have a counter-strategy!:)___

I have been on the tail end of this once. My husband and I do not save chairs. We found 2, he went to sleep and I went and got in the Jacuzzi. I am sure I was not there 45 minutes when I came back someone had thrown my stuff on the floor with my glasses, towel and book and moved the chair. I was mad. I didn't care about the chair but my glasses on the floor where someone could step on them is a problem. I agree something has to be done about the ones that abuse this but please be careful when removing items from a chair. I always carry my glass case now.

I have been on the tail end of this once. My husband and I do not save chairs. We found 2, he went to sleep and I went and got in the Jacuzzi. I am sure I was not there 45 minutes when I came back someone had thrown my stuff on the floor with my glasses, towel and book and moved the chair. I was mad. I didn't care about the chair but my glasses on the floor where someone could step on them is a problem. I agree something has to be done about the ones that abuse this but please be careful when removing items from a chair. I always carry my glass case now.

I would never put someone's glasses on the floor. :eek: I would also assume they were merely swimming and returning soon if they left eyeglasses.

I have only moved a towel to a nearby lounger or table (or flipped a clipped towel over onto the back of the chair). The only thing I put on the floor was a flip flop, which, after all, belongs on the floor.

I'm honestly not sure why they don't just institute a no seat saving policy. Have some shelves or cubbie holes near the pool deck to put your stuff while swimming, and eliminate all seat saving. If your butt isn't in the chair, it's not yours.

All they'd have to do is start removing items from chairs and placing them on the shelves/cubbie holes as soon as they saw an empty chair. That would change the culture rather quick, and likely result in tons of free chairs most of the time.

People, this "issue" has existed on ALL cruise lines for umpteen years. It isn't going to go away any time soon. If you want a chair by the pool be there when the lido deck opens. ALL THE MOANING AND GROANING doesn't change the obvious.

You logged on to post this?