Balcony to Mini Suite Upgrade a good idea?

jolly_cruiser

We got an upgrade offer from a balcony to a mini-suite a few cruises back. Surprisingly, one of the mini-suites on Emerald Deck, which are fully covered was available. Now, those Emerald Deck mini-suites are the only cabins we book. Downside is we have to book pretty far in advance to make sure we can get one. Forgot to mention this is Grand class and above. Not Regal, Royal or the smaller ships.

Good information...i did check but there are no mini suites available for my cruise on the Emerald deck.

If cost is not a big factor, I'd definitely go for the mini. We like the extra room even though it's just the two of us. If you spend any time at all in the cabin, you probably will appreciate having a sofa.

There are also two TVs, one facing the sofa and one facing the bed, so someone can stay up and watch TV on the sofa while someone goes to bed in that part of the mini.

We have also found the beds to be better in mini suites. Some experienced cruisers say there's no difference, but the Princess website and our experience says minis have better bedding.

We like the bigger bathroom, but find little value in the tub/shower. It doesn't really give you any more room to shower as it's so cramped with fixtures and shampoo shelves.

Just to clear something up, the mini suite balcony (9 by 7) is bigger than the standard balcony (9 by 5). If you get a balcony on the Caribe deck, it's even bigger (9 by 9).

We just took an upsell from Caribe balcony way forward to a Dolphin mini at midship. For us, the sun was a bigger factor than the exposure to decks above. If you're on the starboard side, you'll have a lot of sun blasting your uncovered Dolphin balcony in the afternoons on the way down, but that's just two days. On the way back, you'll have very little sun exposure.

Jim

Edited by jasbo49

If cost is not a big factor, I'd definitely go for the mini. We like the extra room even though it's just the two of us. If you spend any time at all in the cabin, you probably will appreciate having a sofa.

There are also two TVs, one facing the sofa and one facing the bed, so someone can stay up and watch TV on the sofa while someone goes to bed in that part of the mini.

We have also found the beds to be better in mini suites. Some experienced cruisers say there's no difference, but the Princess website and our experience says minis have better bedding.

We like the bigger bathroom, but find little value in the tub/shower. It doesn't really give you any more room to shower as it's so cramped with fixtures and shampoo shelves.

Just to clear something up, the mini suite balcony (9 by 7) is bigger than the standard balcony (9 by 5). If you get a balcony on the Caribe deck, it's even bigger (9 by 9).

We just took an upsell from Caribe balcony way forward to a Dolphin mini at midship. For us, the sun was a bigger factor than the exposure to decks above. If you're on the starboard side, you'll have a lot of sun blasting your balcony in the afternoons on the way down, but that's just two days. On the way back, you'll have very little sun exposure.

Jim

you bring up a good point about the sun exposure in the exposed baconies. From the temperatures i am seeing in March for the mexican riviera, it should not be a major issue?

you bring up a good point about the sun exposure in the exposed baconies. From the temperatures i am seeing in March for the mexican riviera, it should not be a major issue?

And if it is raining, you can always sit in the living area of your mini and look outside. Now, I would never be the one to tell you to keep your balcony door open but if you did, it would almost be like you were on the balcony.

PS -- I agree, if you can get an Emerald deck mini, those are the best. The ones on the starboard side are a bit quieter (from underneath) than those on the port side. So you would want and odd numbered cabin. If you can get the very last one on the starboard side (or even the port side), even better as your balcony will be huge! Probably the two most sought after cabins on the grand class ships.

I just upgraded us from balcony cabins to mini-suites for our June Alaska cruise. We had debated over the extra cost (there are seven of us in three cabins) but realized that having the extra space in the cabins would be worth it. Especially the cabin with three in it (one adult and two teens), having the separate sofa bed area will be a plus. I am also happy to have a tub shower. The balconies will be uncovered, which is a risk in Alaska of course, but hopefully we will have enough dry weather to be out there. It will definitely be strange having so many people above us who can see our balcony, but on our past cruises I never paid any attention to the people on the balconies below us. The only time we noticed was when a lady laid out on her Dolphin balcony in a string bikini -- every man on that side of the ship was suddenly out on their balconies sightseeing.

When we first started cruising we stayed in a few uncovered balcony's. We liked them. I could care less if anyone can look down at me. People aren't into that standing on their balcony and staring down at you. We now stay in aft suites only. We like the bigger balcony. As far as more motion I have never noticed any difference being forward, middle or aft. People say its a big difference.

We were several floors above the fully exposed balconies on our last cruise on the Caribbean Princess and a man in that minisuite came out just about every morning wearing just his tighty whities. The first day I figured he just didn't realize that literally dozens of balconies above him could see him, but then I saw him do the same thing on several subsequent mornings. I guess he just didn't care.

And if it is raining, you can always sit in the living area of your mini and look outside. Now, I would never be the one to tell you to keep your balcony door open but if you did, it would almost be like you were on the balcony.

PS -- I agree, if you can get an Emerald deck mini, those are the best. The ones on the starboard side are a bit quieter (from underneath) than those on the port side. So you would want and odd numbered cabin. If you can get the very last one on the starboard side (or even the port side), even better as your balcony will be huge! Probably the two most sought after cabins on the grand class ships.

I would prefer the emerald deck mini's but non available on my cruise so far...will keep checking :)

I'm not that familiar with all the different classes of ship on Princess but are the Emerald deck mini suites always just above the Fusion Bar and is there noise at night associated with it?

On the Grand class ships they are above the lounge. That is our preferred location and we always try to get the last mini-suite with the extended balcony. I have read that some people say they heard music on the port side (above the bandstand) but we have never heard any noise from Club Fusion (on at least 5 cruises) on either side of the ship. We have the far aft mini on the port side for 31 days next winter and while I don't predict any issues, we always carry ear plugs just in case.

Our first mini suite was a free upgrade on the Crown and on the Dolphin deck.

As others have said, I certainly wouldn't upgrade for the glass of champagne.

Having the bathtub makes a huge difference in the bathroom.

The extra space in the cabin is nice but would not be a deciding factor for us as a couple. However, since you are traveling with kids it's a no brainer - especially since cost is not a factor.

Another thing we really liked was being able to look directly down to the water from the balcony and we never minded those above looking down on us. Then again, when we crave a vacation that affords us privacy, cruising on a vessel with thousands of other people is not usually our first vacation of choice!:p

I'm not that familiar with all the different classes of ship on Princess but are the Emerald deck mini suites always just above the Fusion Bar and is there noise at night associated with it?

Not all but a number of them are above the Vista Lounge or Club Fusion. If your cabin is directly over the speakers, you will get some microphone or bass noise in your cabin but they do close down around midnight so wouldn't be enough to keep me from booking one of these cabins on the port side if that is what was available. The starboard side (ending in odd numbers) have no noise from below.

Seriously' date=' the only reason to book a mini suite is the additional space. Only you can determine whether that space is worth the additional cost.

As noted, the only perk is the glass of champagne.[/quote']

No specialty rest. paired to the suites like on other lines? Pretty lame if you ask me. We're doing our first trip, a 14 day B2B on the Regal. Seeing a few reports, I'm not so sure whether switching from Celebrity/Cunard is going to be worth it. My review of the experience & what you get for your $$ will tell all. This cruise is almost exactly the same price as a trip on Cunard/Celebrity.

I love the Mini-Suites on the ships with the extended balconies. I've never had issues with the sun while sitting out there. Plus if you have friends along, 4 can sit around the table quite comfortable and enjoy being outside. I also enjoy the bigger bathroom as you get the shower/tub combo with gives you much more room to shower.

I'm about to go on the new Royal and very disappointed already that they made the balconies even smaller.

No specialty rest. paired to the suites like on other lines? Pretty lame if you ask me. We're doing our first trip, a 14 day B2B on the Regal. Seeing a few reports, I'm not so sure whether switching from Celebrity/Cunard is going to be worth it. My review of the experience & what you get for your $$ will tell all. This cruise is almost exactly the same price as a trip on Cunard/Celebrity.

I'll be looking for your review. We haven't tried Celebrity yet but we definitely want to give it a try in the next year or two.

Experienced Princess Cruisers,

My apologies if this question has been discussed on this forum before, but i could not see it after a quick search.

I am considering a Balcony to Mini Suite upgrade for my upcoming Mexican Riviera cruise out of LA in March on the Crown Princess.

The difference in cost is not a factor.

I am currently on the Aloha deck (starboard) and will potentially move to the Dolphin deck ( Port side ).

1. Is this a good idea considering the Deck and Cabin locations?

2. Other than then obvious size difference and the benefits of a mini Suite is there any thing else that i should be aware of? This will be my first time in a Mini Suite.

3. Any other perks/benefits to a mini suite as opposed to a balcony?

Thanks in Advance for all the responses.

I'm a cheapskate by nature, but did a min suite on similar cruise. We enjoyed it and a luxury once tasted becomes a necessity :D

Even though cost isn't a factor in your decision...it is good to know in advance that you will be paying the higher "suite" gratuity.

We didn't know this after deciding to upgrade to a mini suite. I don't understand why it is the suite price when it is not a suite. :eek:

:)Two of my favorite things about Dolphin deck mini-suites are watching the pilot boat dude boarding and leaving the cruise ship; and looking up at the stars in the large dark sky while at sea. Our next cruise is on the Island and I'm sure I'll miss the large open balconies on Dolphin Grand Class. Happy cruising.

I've priced equivalent minis on Princess and Celebrity and Celebrity is more expensive. Drinks are much more expensive. So you get what you pay for. I enjoy Celebrity cruises but know I am paying more for that. And they don't always have the best itineraries for Alaska.

Edited by Pushka