Zika Virus

july2012

SO we received the email today about the Zika Virus with advisories in the ports we plan to visit in June.

There will be 2 woman 25-32 who are now trying to get pregnant. I wonder if they should cancel their cruise?

They both said they would take test before the cruise, but I was wondering if they got bite on cruise then came home and got pregnant that could also be an issues.

They are both going to contact their doctors.

I have been on a couple cruises and never bitten by mosquitos, but it could happen.

Just wondering your thoughts

YES, seeing you asked.......

those young women should cancel their cruise.

The news is very clear about the horrid birth defects and the huge risk to a fetus.

There are countries where the mosquito has been found that are telling women to avoid getting pregnant for two years until they hopefully can eradicate the mosquito from their environment.

Since in June, you can cancel now with no penalty. Don't wait.

There's plenty of other vacation spots they can go to that are similarly priced, if not cheaper; no reason to keep planning when there is a high potential of having to cancel.

Was actually talking about this with a coworker today as I overheard somebody cancelling their vacation due to Zika. She used this comparison - would you place your baby in the middle of an empty road at 2am? Certainly, the probability is high that nothing would happen, but you still wouldn't do it.

Edited by Alter Ego

El Salvador is recommending that women postpone pregnancy for two years. Whether they're just being overly cautious or not, who knows. But I've worked with kids with microcephaly, and it is devastating. Not something I'd chance for a week of fun in the sun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We have been trying to conceive for a while, so this topic has me concerned. We had planned to go to Roatan (Honduras), Belize, and Cozumel this summer. Now we are trying to decide if we should change our travel plans. My husband suggested we stop trying until after the cruise. Once back, we could get checked out and decide when to start trying again. But this is not an easy issue; I think I have to do a lot more research!

Good luck to everyone facing this issue. Really, if the risk is as great as the media is making it out to be, it sounds as if every women who could conceive and has a partner who could be fertile needs to take measures to make sure she doesn't before she knows she is clear. And they say it could some to the Southern states, where I live!

Then again, the media and local governments could be panicking because of how Ebola spiraled out of control.

We have been trying to conceive for a while, so this topic has me concerned. We had planned to go to Roatan (Honduras), Belize, and Cozumel this summer. Now we are trying to decide if we should change our travel plans. My husband suggested we stop trying until after the cruise. Once back, we could get checked out and decide when to start trying again. But this is not an easy issue; I think I have to do a lot more research!

Good luck to everyone facing this issue. Really, if the risk is as great as the media is making it out to be, it sounds as if every women who could conceive and has a partner who could be fertile needs to take measures to make sure she doesn't before she knows she is clear. And they say it could some to the Southern states, where I live!

Then again, the media and local governments could be panicking because of how Ebola spiraled out of control.

. Yes they are saying they expect the virus to come to the U.S. soon with no way to stop it because it is Bourne by mosquito's.

There are so many other places to cruise and many more land vacations. Hope you have thought your priorities through. Personally I would not put off starting my family for a few hours in each of these countries

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

The link to Zika and birth defects.... The hypothesis is out there, but I really think the jury is still out. Obviously your baby, your decision, but I'd adopt a "wait and see" approach before deposit becomes non-refundable or booking within the deposit window.

Probably better chance of winning powerball than something terrible happening but it's just too soon to say.

--- Either way.

So if you don't have to make a decision.. Don't

Edited by nealstuber

Sky News here in the UK are reporting that it is believed that the virus can be found in ordinary mosquitoes as well :eek:

They finished the report, which had distressing scenes of babies affected by the virus, saying that holiday firms are advising pregnant women to perhaps avoid areas in South America and said that both NCL and Carnival were offering passengers the option to change their cruise.

Obviously everyone is now taking this outbreak very seriously.

Sky News here in the UK are reporting that it is believed that the virus can be found in ordinary mosquitoes as well :eek:

They finished the report, which had distressing scenes of babies affected by the virus, saying that holiday firms are advising pregnant women to perhaps avoid areas in South America and said that both NCL and Carnival were offering passengers the option to change their cruise.

Obviously everyone is now taking this outbreak very seriously.

I wonder if a 'regular' mosquito common to North America bites and ingests blood from a person infected with Zika virus now becomes a carrier and when it bites another person, can infect them with the virus?

Is that determined or still unknown?

Edited by sail7seas

I just heard a news report saying the World Health Organization has announced they expect 3-4 MILLION cases of Zika virus in the Americas. A quote is that 'it is spreading explosively'.

I also heard in this report this mosquito feeds during the day. :eek:

I wonder if a 'regular' mosquito common to North America bites and ingests blood from a person infected with Zika virus now becomes a carrier and when it bites another person, can infect them with the virus?

This might be of interest:

http://news.sky.com/story/1631065/zika-virus-may-have-spread-to-common-mosquito

My wife and I are old enough so that pregnancy is not an issue. However, if we were a couple in the child bearing age group, we would cancel in a heart beat.

BTW - just wait until this summer when the Olympics circus arrives in Brazil. I would assume that there will be no young women attending the Olympics. It will also be interesting to see how many if any young female athletes feel that their sport is more important than the life of their possible children.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

The known carrier mosquito (Aedes) already exists in the southeastern US states and has been identified as far north as Washington DC for the last four years. The more common culex mosquito is not yet identified as a carrier, but news today indicates it might be.

Yes, if a mosquito cabable of carrying the virus bites an infected person, it can transmit the disease to a non-infected person. That IS how this virus spreads.

Thanks.

I know it spreads by mosquitos but my confusion was if it is only one type mosquito that can carry Zika and infect those they bite or if any mosquito that bites an infected person can later bite someone else and infect them.

There are two things I'm wondering about Zika.

1) If I am too old to have children, will the virus hurt me?

2) If I should contract the virus, could I transmit it to someone else?

1. Probably not. If you do get it, there is an 80% chance you will not even know or show symptoms. There is a 20% chance you will show achy, flu-like symptoms or conjunctivitis.

2. Yes, if a mosquito bites you it can transmit your disease to someone else. You are unlikely to transmit it directly. It would require blood to blood contact.

http://www.cdc.gov/zika/pdfs/sick_with_chikv_denv_zika.pdf

Edited by cherylandtk