Zika Virus

qsuzi

That's what travel insurance is for.

I read a very good conversation on another forum about insurance paying if a pregnant woman chooses to cancel and there seems to be some very real chance she would not be covered.

There are a few 'insurance knowledgeable people' who said that is a situation of a healthy person wants to cancel because they may be bitten by a mosquito which possibly could make her ill or maybe not. They question how it is an insurable circumstance for someone who is not ill to make a claim.

Now that WHO has labeled it a Global Emergency perhaps that will change their stance?

I certainly hope insurance covers and think they should. I hope some who are in the position to file a claim lets us know how it goes.

We were told today that HAL would adopt whatever policy Carnival did regarding this. I've seen on the boards today that pregnant women and those traveling with them can get money back or change cruises where there isn't a risk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yet, Sugarmom's daughter wrote above she was told HAL was only refunding 50%. I think they need to rethink that position. Really bad PR.

This is what was posted today for RCCL, Celebrity & Azamara

From Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and Azamara, re: the Zika virus:

We are writing to provide important health information regarding the Zika virus. Please provide this information to your clients.

Royal Caribbean International[emoji768], Celebrity Cruises[emoji768] and Azamara Club Cruises[emoji768] are committed to the safety and health of our guests and crew. We have been closely monitoring the Zika virus situation and are aware that the CDC has issued a travel alert for certain countries where Zika virus transmission is ongoing.

Should your client be pregnant and not feel comfortable sailing to countries affected with the Zika virus, we will provide them with alternate itinerary options. This may include providing a future cruise credit valid for two years so that they may re-schedule their voyage for a later date, with no penalty.

In order to reduce the risk of contracting any number of diseases spread by mosquito bite, including Zika virus, we urge our guests to take precautions to avoid mosquito bites by remaining in well screened or air conditioned areas when possible, by wearing light-colored clothing that adequately covers the arms and legs, and by applying insect repellant to both skin and clothing.

Should you or your client have any additional questions about the Zika virus, please visit the CDC's website.

Our daughter has started the insurance process. Hopefully insurance will cover the other 50% and the $2000 Air Canada air fare. If insurance does not cover their loss, I will certainly be helping her contact executives and the media.

Our daughter who is pregnant and in first trimester was supposed to leave on the NA March 6th with a stop in Cozumel. They cancelled today and HAL will only refund 50% as per current policy (unless you are 20 weeks or more).

That's a shame. I think HAL should be doing the same as other cruise lines. Here's an article about it.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2016/01/28/zika-virus-cruise-carnival-royal/79459420/

Sugar's Mon-

Did you daughter ask if there was any other option - such as having credit that could be used within a certain future timeframe?

Perhaps your daughter should call HAL again and see what the answer is, maybe things have changed (or not). Does she have a TA (sounds like she might not)? If she does, that individual should be fighting for her.

Based on some experiences in the past, to have the ONLY option to be a 50% refund seems out of character for HAL. Never had a 100% refund, but future cruise credit was an option. Of course, things can always change and not always for the better.

That's a shame. I think HAL should be doing the same as other cruise lines. Here's an article about it.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2016/01/28/zika-virus-cruise-carnival-royal/79459420/

This is a fluid situation, evolving by the hour. I think HAL will change it's stance if they are smart and take PR into consideration.

This is a fluid situation, evolving by the hour. I think HAL will change it's stance if they are smart and take PR into consideration.

I agree.

The announcement by World Health Org. today has to influence their decision in this regard. Really bad PR to ignore such a declaration.

That article, however, is not very clear. It refers to "Carnival" but does it mean the Corporation, of which HAL is a member, or the cruise Line? It also is not clear that there are not some penalties for cancelling; only that the cruise lines are allowing cancellations. There may be some strings tied to that. Not too informative.

This might not be HAL's finest PR hour, but, as Ruth said, this is why the need for insurance. It is not HAL's legal responsibility to make up for what the virus is causing. Hopefully, HAL will voluntarily ease its cancellation policies.

I agree.

The announcement by World Health Org. today has to influence their decision in this regard. Really bad PR to ignore such a declaration.

To be fair it's only a matter of time until every U.S. state has this. When that's the case should they cancel all U.S. sailings or offer full refunds to anyone with a Caribbean cruise planned?

I don't mean that snarky if comes off that way. Florida already has declared a disaster emergency because of Zika. It's the new bird flu, swine flu, etc. It's here for good.

That article, however, is not very clear. It refers to "Carnival" but does it mean the Corporation, of which HAL is a member, or the cruise Line? It also is not clear that there are not some penalties for cancelling; only that the cruise lines are allowing cancellations. There may be some strings tied to that. Not too informative.

This might not be HAL's finest PR hour, but, as Ruth said, this is why the need for insurance. It is not HAL's legal responsibility to make up for what the virus is causing. Hopefully, HAL will voluntarily ease its cancellation policies.

Cancel for any reason insurance likely would satisfy a claim.

However, it is not clear that other travel insurance (from any or all of the major insurers) would pay a claim by a healthy woman, who has no medical issue but wants to cancel and have a claim paid because she might be bitten by a mosquito that might give her Zika virus.

I don't know the answer but the question is: Will insurance pay a woman who cancels for fear she may become ill or might injure her baby if a mosquito carrying a virus bites her?

It would be (IMHO) a significant PR blunder for HAL not to follow the lead of other cruise lines, air lines, and travel providers.

I suspect that HAL will follow suit eventually.

This isn't about cruise insurance. It is about doing the right thing. It is just too bad that HAL will be seen (if they change policy) as reluctant followers rather than leaders in the industry. No change there.

Edited by iancal

called HAL yesterday asking about their policy on pregnant women/to be pregnant women. The agent obviously didn't know about the situation well and had to ask his boss. Was told to have 50% penalty upon cancellation. No other options were given. My impression is HAL has not prepared how to handle this situation yet. I hope their policy will catch up with others eventually. Nevertheless their response to this matter is already too slow.

Posted Tues Feb 2nd on their verified account

Hi xxxx, thanks for inquiring. Holland America Line is committed to the safety, health and well-being of our guests and crew. We are in close contact with public health officials regarding the recent Zika virus alert that encourages precaution for pregnant women to avoid non-essential travel in impacted areas. We will be providing booked guests with information on the Zika virus prior to their cruise. Pregnant women needing to cancel their cruise will be provided a future cruise credit (for them and their traveling companions) to rebook at a later time. If this applies to you, you or your travel agent can contact our Reservations team at <> As with any trip, whether by land, air or sea, travelers should check with their doctor or public health authorities to be informed regarding health matters at the destinations they will visit, and exercise appropriate precautions. For more information about Zika virus, contact your doctor and/or visit the CDC website at cdc.gov/zika. Thank you for posting.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi xxxx, thanks for inquiring. Holland America Line is committed to the safety, health and well-being of our guests and crew. We are in close contact with public health officials regarding the recent Zika virus alert that encourages precaution for pregnant women to avoid non-essential travel in impacted areas. We will be providing booked guests with information on the Zika virus prior to their cruise. Pregnant women needing to cancel their cruise will be provided a future cruise credit (for them and their traveling companions) to rebook at a later time. If this applies to you, you or your travel agent can contact our Reservations team at <> As with any trip, whether by land, air or sea, travelers should check with their doctor or public health authorities to be informed regarding health matters at the destinations they will visit, and exercise appropriate precautions. For more information about Zika virus, contact your doctor and/or visit the CDC website at cdc.gov/zika. Thank you for posting.

Just found this thread on a search for Zika. I find the above very interesting! We are scheduled to leave on a 7-day Eastern Caribbean cruise followed by a 21-day Panama Canal transit on the Westerdam. We have not heard a word from HAL regarding policy!

We are going - with long sleeves and lots of Deet! (Fortunately, mosquitoes don't seem to like me. I virtually never get bitten. That said, I've probably jinxed myself!)

It actually isn't necessary, IMO, for HAL to send everyone a message of their policy. Those who have an interest or concern should contact HAL to inquire.

We can't depend upon constant hand holding in today's often understaffed, poorly trained corporate world.

JMO......

Hope you travel safely, no Zika issues and have wonderful cruise(s).

Edited by sail7seas

Apparently not, according to post #70. Too bad they are giving out so much misinformation. As a large corporation with the responsibility of the safety and health of their passengers (as they are often telling us) a little communication would be a good idea given this outbreak and the huge amount of publicity and warnings prevalent right now.

What are you people worried about?!

Zika is a hyped-up thing to have a new disease in the news now Ebola is contained.

Zika symptoms are mild and often even not noticed.

Even the misformed babies are now thought to he unrelated to Zika but caused by insecticides in the drinking water. ( ironically, against Zika carying Aedis mosquitos).

What are you people worried about?!

Zika is a hyped-up thing to have a new disease in the news now Ebola is contained.

Zika symptoms are mild and often even not noticed.

Even the misformed babies are now thought to he unrelated to Zika but caused by insecticides in the drinking water. ( ironically, against Zika carying Aedis mosquitos).

Says a man who will never carry a child!