Zika Virus

qsuzi

Just found this thread today. We were on Oosterdam sailing 1/29, and saw some updates about Zika on the TV news channels. It was an evolving story, with a new article in the "Times Digest" several days. In just a few weeks, this has gone from a "here and there" situation to a global emergency.

The Dominican Republic was added to the alert list the day before we were due to arrive. The captain made an announcement about this, reminding people to use a Deet-based repellent and wear longs sleeves and long pants if going ashore. There were other mosquito reminders before or after that, I think. (Then Noro kicked in, and the announcements were all about that)

I had Deet with me, as I am a mosquito magnet, and even before Zika there were mosquito-borne diseases I didn't want to mess with. That's why I didn't even consider any of the "jungle and waterfall" tours. When we went ashore in Samana, it was hot as blazes, but I sprayed deet on a long-sleeved shirt and wore it the whole time.

What are you people worried about?!

Zika is a hyped-up thing to have a new disease in the news now Ebola is contained.

Zika symptoms are mild and often even not noticed.

Even the misformed babies are now thought to he unrelated to Zika but caused by insecticides in the drinking water. ( ironically, against Zika carying Aedis mosquitos).

If someone you love were pregnant, would you be worry free about them visiting the places identified as risky for Zika virus? Would you send them on a cruise to those ports?

If someone you love were pregnant, would you be worry free about them visiting the places identified as risky for Zika virus? Would you send them on a cruise to those ports?

My wife and I both work in the medical world, one in the Federal government and the other in private consulting. Right now based on what we're seeing from our different sources I'd not recommend a pregnant woman travel to destinations identified as high risk. Now, the caveat is that quite frankly the warnings are based on preliminary and incomplete data and research. We're in the think it is or might be or could be stage about Zika and its potential impacts. It could prove to be nothing, it could prove to be worse than we now think. We're not canceling our cruise, we're well beyond the pregnancy stage of life, but we've already stocked up on one of the recommended sprays for our cruise. We're not going to be paranoid about it but we will take reasonable precautions.

Edited by Randyk47

My wife and I both work in the medical world, one in the Federal government and the other in private consulting. Right now based on what we're seeing from our different sources I'd not recommend a pregnant woman travel to destinations identified as high risk. Now, the caveat is that quite frankly the warnings are based on preliminary and incomplete data and research. We're in the think it is or might be or could be stage about Zika and its potential impacts. It could prove to be nothing, it could prove to be worse than we now think. We're not canceling our cruise, we're well beyond the pregnancy stage of life, but we've already stocked up on one of the recommended sprays for our cruise. We're not going to be paranoid about it but we will take reasonable precautions.

A very reasonable and sensible approach........ as always, Randy. :)

That's a pretty good assessment, and most of us, I'd venture to say, likely don't have to worry about getting pregnant:o, so some simple precautions would suffice. The focus to now has been on women who are, or who may, get pregnant within a certain time period (not sure how long) but I saw a report last night that men can carry the virus, too. As this unrolls, I think there will be more and newer information coming down the pipeline. However, it is incumbent upon HAL to keep their passengers informed.

Remember the airlines do NOT allow aerosol sprays in checked or carry on. I had mine confiscated not too long ago :(

TSA must have an issue too

You can get pump sprays. I had a little travel-sized bottle with me. Granted, I didn't need to use it every day, but a little of that stuff goes a long way.

That's a pretty good assessment, and most of us, I'd venture to say, likely don't have to worry about getting pregnant:o, so some simple precautions would suffice. The focus to now has been on women who are, or who may, get pregnant within a certain time period (not sure how long) but I saw a report last night that men can carry the virus, too. As this unrolls, I think there will be more and newer information coming down the pipeline. However, it is incumbent upon HAL to keep their passengers informed.

Maybe you might think about running that by their legal department? :D

The only information, IMO, they should provide is which ports they are visiting where there are confirmed cases of infection and what their policy will be for those that cancel.

They are not in the business of providing public health information and they likely will find themselves sued should they start giving medical information that is anything other direct quotes from the Officials charged with making that information known. Officials such as CDC and like agencies in other countries are the professionals charged with providing that knowledge.

Interesting how some persons lash back at a person who posts some info that you may not have thought of but automatically assume it is false. In fact, to date no study has shown that microcephaly is caused by the zika virus. It appears that the birth defect is most likely caused by a chemical larvicide, pyriproxyfen, manufactured by Sumitomo Chemical Company. The larvicide was widely used in Brazil starting in 2014 to kill mosquito larva in drinking water in Brazil. That is why the birth defect is epidemic in Brazil, but not in neighboring countries where the zika virus is common. For example, Colombia has experienced a lot of zika virus; 3177 pregnant women had the virus but there were zero cases of microcephaly in that country. If you want to read the articles, google Sumitomo and zika. And yes, I am a man who will never get pregnant if some of you think that is pertinent to the discussion.

Researchers have identified a correlation between Zika virus and microcephaly. No causality has been established, but the evidence of correlation has been cited in actual scientific reports published by actual physicians and researchers who cite the sources of their data and their analysis methods, and they sign their names. At least two such reports have been published in peer-reviewed journals. Actual Zika virus has been found in actual microcephalic infants and fetuses, both living and dead.

The supposed Sumitomo/pyroproxyfen connection was raised by an article from an anonymous group ("DCST") opposed to pesticides. No researchers or doctors signed the article, it was not peer-reviewed, and it cited neither the source of the data nor the analysis methodology. The references cited in the article do not support any supposed connection between pyroproxyfen and microcephaly. The article appears to be an expansion of an earlier academic report which noted that the microcephaly cases are in an area where pyroproxyfen (pesticide) is added to public water supplies. One of the groups referenced in the DCST article has denounced the use of their name.

An anti-pesticide group DCST is taking advantage of the Zika virus outbreak to their political advantage (anti-vaccine groups are doing likewise). The "viral" spread of their conspiracy theories on the internet seems to be a lot faster than the spread of the actual Zika virus. As for me, I place more credibility on peer-reviewed research and clinical evidence, than on "internet-viral" anonymous conspiracy theories, and "google it, it's true!" claims.

There is no evidence that foil fedoras provide protection against Zika virus or microcephaly.

Edited by Blue Mudshark

Interesting how some persons lash back at a person who posts some info that you may not have thought of but automatically assume it is false. In fact, to date no study has shown that microcephaly is caused by the zika virus. It appears that the birth defect is most likely caused by a chemical larvicide, pyriproxyfen, manufactured by Sumitomo Chemical Company. The larvicide was widely used in Brazil starting in 2014 to kill mosquito larva in drinking water in Brazil. That is why the birth defect is epidemic in Brazil, but not in neighboring countries where the zika virus is common. For example, Colombia has experienced a lot of zika virus; 3177 pregnant women had the virus but there were zero cases of microcephaly in that country. If you want to read the articles, google Sumitomo and zika. And yes, I am a man who will never get pregnant if some of you think that is pertinent to the discussion.

Don't try to talk sense. People have seen the news reports.

Does seem suspicious where the birth defects are centered though doesn't it?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I think for the time being I will depend on the CDC and World Health Organization and take precautions accordingly, rather than "Internet" articles. Thanks again!

Yes! Here is the latest I read just this morning:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/zika/12169491/Brazil-plans-to-zap-mosquitoes-with-radiation-to-halt-spread-of-Zika-virus.html

Remember the airlines do NOT allow aerosol sprays in checked or carry on. I had mine confiscated not too long ago :(

Aerosols ARE allowed in checked luggage, but not hand luggage. I always pack at least 2 and never had a problem.

I've checked in aerosol sprays on many occasions: hair spray (travel sized), bug repellent spray and sun block.

I also checked on the TSA site and it states:

Aerosols

Aerosols are prohibited with the exception of personal care items or toiletries in limited quantities.

Bug spray and sub block are considered personal care items. As long as you don't bring the huge cans, you are fine.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/prohibited-items

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app