Fresh squeezed OJ

cwbabe48

It is included in the classic drink package and you can order it from any waiter or bar server anywhere on the ship. It is not squeezed on board....it is now brought on pre-squeezed...and the quality is far from what they used to squeeze on board.

Edited by ghstudio

Easy - NO

Fresh squeezed is really not available on ships because of the huge health issues in needing to wash the oranges in a solution that killed all bacteria before squeezing. Only thing that does that is bleach. Think about even a tiny bit of bleach in your OJ.

Easy - NO

Fresh squeezed is really not available on ships because of the huge health issues in needing to wash the oranges in a solution that killed all bacteria before squeezing. Only thing that does that is bleach. Think about even a tiny bit of bleach in your OJ.

tiny amounts of bleach have been added to drinking water for years without any taste or issues....most boaters add a couple of tablespoons to their fresh water tanks to keep mold and mildew from growing in the fresh water tanks over the winter, RV's the same thing or you can buy an additive for 100 times the price of a couple tablespoons of bleach that is basically...bleach

The orange juice you get on board is like that you would get in a grocery store. Sometimes it is "not from concentrate" and they also serve orange juice from concentrate. I have had both on the ship. They no longer serve the freshly squeezed.

uh oh...another OJ thread:eek::eek::eek:

Just kidding, OP. :D There was a really loooong OJ thread on here last year that kept growing and growing and growing. Even many of the posters like me who commented on it ourselves (contributing to the length) found it pretty funny.

We used to enjoy the Fresh Squeezed OJ on Celebrity (which we could get every morning at the Elite breakfast or via the premium beverage package. But alas, our fearless leader "Lisa" has seen to eliminate fresh squeezed OJ and replace it with what they call "Premium OJ" which tasted like something out of a cheap can. In fact, on the Eclipse last month, we found the free juice (available in some of the dispensers in the Lido) much better tasting than the "Premium" garbage that Celebrity thinks is worthy of an extra fee (or drink package).

So health considerations aside, we look forward to our upcoming 55 day HAL cruise where we can still get free fresh squeezed OJ (available in their Lido at breakfast time). We are starting to think that our fearless leader "Lisa" will soon ban all food and drink since those items can be dangerous to one's health. And she will also ban all entertainment since the noise can cause nerve deafness.

Hank

We used to enjoy the Fresh Squeezed OJ on Celebrity (which we could get every morning at the Elite breakfast or via the premium beverage package. But alas, our fearless leader "Lisa" has seen to eliminate fresh squeezed OJ and replace it with what they call "Premium OJ" which tasted like something out of a cheap can. In fact, on the Eclipse last month, we found the free juice (available in some of the dispensers in the Lido) much better tasting than the "Premium" garbage that Celebrity thinks is worthy of an extra fee (or drink package).

So health considerations aside, we look forward to our upcoming 55 day HAL cruise where we can still get free fresh squeezed OJ (available in their Lido at breakfast time). We are starting to think that our fearless leader "Lisa" will soon ban all food and drink since those items can be dangerous to one's health. And she will also ban all entertainment since the noise can cause nerve deafness.

Hank

I call BS on you. Everyone's taste buds are not the same, but I had the fresh squeezed frozen OJ almost ever day on our cruise and it was excellent. Since you were in the Lido instead of the Oceanview perhaps the orange drink from the dispenser has negatively impacted something?😃😃

I have to agree with Hitner....I tried the 'fresh squeezed" orange juice both in the MDR and the elite breakfast and it was terrible....not even close to even the house brand fresh squeezed juice we get our local Publix. I don't know why anyone would actually pay more for that stuff....I tried it for two days and then just gave up on orange juice and had grapefruit juice instead. Equinox..Dec 2015.

I call BS on you. Everyone's taste buds are not the same, but I had the fresh squeezed frozen OJ almost ever day on our cruise and it was excellent. Since you were in the Lido instead of the Oceanview perhaps the orange drink from the dispenser has negatively impacted something?

At the risk of "squeezing" this topic to death, we believe you were on an Oct-Nov cruise. Our cruise was more then a month after yours and times do change (very quickly on X). On our cruise (Eclipse) 2 Senior Staff confirmed that all the OJ Squeezing machines were gone. We heard 2 different stories from the staff on the cruise. Tale #1: I was done for health safety reasons and all the OJ is now pasteurized and not made onboard. Tale #2: Fresh OJ was eliminated as a cost cutting measure.

Perhaps they will see the error of their ways and quickly resurrect the big "Squeeze.":eek:

We should add that other things changed on our cruise. It was the first Eclipse cruise where unlimited bottled water was no longer provided in Aqua Class (now, only 2 bottles per cruise).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Only the grapefruit juice is still freshly squeezed

Orange juice is sweet concentrate that needs to have vodka to become patible. :D:

If they are still doing fresh squeezed grapefruit it can't be a hygiene/washing issue.

On the Summit 2015, it had to still be fresh squeezed grapefruit, I found lots of chunks of seeds, although they no longer had the machine out in the buffet.

Come to think of it, I think I read that somewhere and they were also offering exclusively to Celebrity, Prune Tang.

Don't knock Tang as it was the official drink of the astronauts and the space program. By the way, whatever happened to the space program?

At the risk of "squeezing" this topic to death, we believe you were on an Oct-Nov cruise. Our cruise was more then a month after yours and times do change (very quickly on X). On our cruise (Eclipse) 2 Senior Staff confirmed that all the OJ Squeezing machines were gone. We heard 2 different stories from the staff on the cruise. Tale #1: I was done for health safety reasons and all the OJ is now pasteurized and not made onboard. Tale #2: Fresh OJ was eliminated as a cost cutting measure.

Perhaps they will see the error of their ways and quickly resurrect the big "Squeeze.":eek:

We should add that other things changed on our cruise. It was the first Eclipse cruise where unlimited bottled water was no longer provided in Aqua Class (now, only 2 bottles per cruise).

Hank

Hank, actually my post about the OJ had some "humor" built into it. I was on a cruise in November, but just returned from a January cruise. I did not mean to suggest that Celebrity went back to squeezing oranges on board. I assume what they are serving is squeezed in a factory and frozen then thawed and served. I do not believe they add anything on board. I am fairly certain that it is not make from concentrate. I thought it tasted very good and I had a glass everyday.

I will confuse that I did not actually taste the OJ from the dispenser on the last two cruises. Since you are suggesting that it taste better than the squeezed version I will taste some of it next time. Of course the poor oranges were probably squeezed at some time to make either one. I would guess the OJ in the dispenser is made from concentrate.

Jim

I call BS on you. Everyone's taste buds are not the same, but I had the fresh squeezed frozen OJ almost ever day on our cruise and it was excellent. Since you were in the Lido instead of the Oceanview perhaps the orange drink from the dispenser has negatively impacted something?

I must support your BS call here as we were on the Eclipse in early January. The "juice" that comes out of the dispensers is made from blended concentrates and probably is much less than 10% actual juice if an analysis could be obtained...........mostly sugar and flavorings I would bet a black chip! I have watched crew refilling those cannisters of concentrates on those same machines that the poster considers superior and saw NO OJ in the picture.

The OJ from the bar on our Jan. cruise was passable and good even if not from an actual orange squeezed on the ship on an overused and possibly not too sanitary machine.

HAL also had those orange squeezer machines in the old days and were nowhere to be found on our cruise in Oct-Nov.

Edited by OBX-Cruisers