Dave’s Live From Oosterdam 21-day Southern Caribbean, Jan. 29 – Feb. 19, 2016

RetiredMustang

Dave, I'm curious about the condition of the ship. It appears she is scheduled for a 12 day dry dock in early April. We're considering a TA immediately prior to the dry dock, but if she is showing a lot of deferred maintenance, we may do something else. Thanks for your good reviews and it seems you're kicking off your retirement in excellent fashion.

Dave, I'm curious about the condition of the ship. It appears she is scheduled for a 12 day dry dock in early April. We're considering a TA immediately prior to the dry dock, but if she is showing a lot of deferred maintenance, we may do something else. Thanks for your good reviews and it seems you're kicking off your retirement in excellent fashion.

I know you directed this to Dave, but thought I would give my perspective as well. We sailed on the Oosterdam for 10 nights about a month ago. I think the ship was in great condition. Not brand new, of course, but really we saw no glaring issues...some normal wear and tear on carpets....but overall a very solid, comfortable and beautiful ship.

I have some photos online, mostly of food and holiday decorations, but enough to give you an idea of the common areas.

https://goo.gl/photos/6rCqnVh78fbVZfFk8

Monday, February 1, Samana DR (Cont.)

We visited Samana in 2010 and took a whale-watching tour during which we were lucky enough to have seen a lot of whales close by. This time, we decided to do something else, and settled on the ship’s Excursion called VIP Experience at Vista Mare, which said it included whale watching from a distance on a patio while sipping wine.

We met in the Vista Lounge with other shore excursions, and when our tour was called, passed by a table to get stickers and then down to midships to go down to the tender. The tender ride took about 20-25 minutes. We boarded a (thankfully) well-air-conditioned bus while we waited a few minutes for another tender in case some of the guests were not on ours. After a while, we took off, with 10 guests. We drove west along the peninsula for about10 miles to a resort called Vista Mare. Along the way we passed villages with houses ranging from corrugated tin-roofed unpainted cinder-block dwellings to quite prosperous-looking villas. There was poverty, but also small shops and businesses – it was much like a lot of the islands in the Caribbean.

We exited the bus and were led into the resort main building, which had balconies with tables and chairs, overlooking the bay. Here is one view:

view%20from%20Visa%20Mare_zpshpp9injh.jpg

In a slightly different direction, I could see Oosterdam up the coast:

Oosterdam%20from%20Vista%20Mare_zpsviobutu5.jpg

The view straight out was where the whale-watching boats were circling, and where, after a few minutes, we saw lots of whales spouting.

View%20to%20the%20bay_zpsbxnqfeii.jpg

The guide provided us all with binoculars, and we could see the whales surfacing, some breaching, and then showing their flukes as they dove. It was a good show from where we were, but I imagine the folks in the boats were thrilled to see so many whales so close up.

We were free to wander the area, but we stayed mostly on the balconies where we could watch the whales and boats. We sat at tables, and servers gave us wine, juices or soft drinks, or we could order missed drinks for an extra charge. They also served chicken croquettes, salmon salad bruschetta, ham and cheese sandwiches and fried plantain chips.

rerfresments_zpsxtgxnsxw.jpg

The drinks and food were replenished as we desired.

After about two hours at the resort, we reboarded the bus and returned to Santa Barbara, where we took a short drive around, including a stop at a souvenir shop (who could have guessed that?) The main beach road from the tender landing to the east included a park and walkway along the sea side where many vendors under umbrellas were selling goods. Along the other side were many businesses, including shops and restaurants, as well as some that tourists probably would not be interested in, such as a furniture store. There was a square and a pretty church. About a mile from tender pier was a line of new-looking store fronts, built by a hotel. That’s where we stopped for a few minutes. I didn’t see too many of the storefronts occupied, but there may be more opening later. Here is a photo of part of the complex:

Shops%20in%20town_zpsnlp8ssnw.jpg

In summary, we enjoyed our tour very much, and there is something to see in Santa Barbara on the Samana port visit if you just wanted to go ashore and walk about. I would recommend a tour to see whales if you can and arrive during the season (Jan – March), but you could do a stroll along the beachfront (malecon).

More later,

Dave

Dave,

Would love to see if you can scan and post the Canaletto menu. We haven't been to the restaurant in the last couple of cruises and we understand there has been some changes in the menu items.

Also, when you come back into Ft. Lauderdale on 2-8-16 we would love to have information on how the "zero down" process is handled for those staying on for the next segment. The time it takes and locations for those "in transit" passengers. This request is only if you are not doing any type of excursion on that day but are staying on board. Thanks.

Rick

The fine print also states.... "drinks up to $8 including service charge." So the maximum priced drinks are $6.95... plus service charge = $7.99? I didn't know that! Thanks for scanning the flyer. m--

I got an interim bill today to check out how the SBC is being handled. Here’s what it shows:

- the drink and service charge is charged to the account

- a credit equal to the drink and service charge is credited to the account.

That means the SBC covers the service charge. We got ours as part of the Explore 4 promo, so I’m not sure if it is different if just purchased on board.

Also, I have been drinking a shiraz that is listed on the bar menu as costing $8.00. It has been covered by the SBC, so the card does cover drinks that cost $8.00 or less before adding the 15% service.

Dave

Edited by RetiredMustang

Dave another Congratulations on your retirement!

Enjoying you posting and the scans are wonderful.

I have a favor to ask :o. If you are ever in the Lido would you take a look and let me know what brand of Tea Bags on onboard please?

Many thanks, Barb

Barb,

Here is the list of teas available this morning on the Lido for free. All are Bigelow brand:

- Cinnamon Apple

- Cozy Chamomile

- Cranberry Apple

- Darjeeling

- Earl Grey

- English Breakfast

- English Teatime (decaf)

- Green Tea

- I Love Lemon

- Jasmine

- Mint Medley

- Orange and Spice

- Sweet Dream (herbal)

At the Explorations Café, they had the following Tazo teas for $1.75:

- awake – English Breakfast

- calm - chamomile

- China green tips

- decaf lotus blossom green

- Earl Grey

- passion

- refresh – mint

- wild sweet orange

Dave

Dave,

Would love to see if you can scan and post the Canaletto menu. We haven't been to the restaurant in the last couple of cruises and we understand there has been some changes in the menu items.

Also, when you come back into Ft. Lauderdale on 2-8-16 we would love to have information on how the "zero down" process is handled for those staying on for the next segment. The time it takes and locations for those "in transit" passengers. This request is only if you are not doing any type of excursion on that day but are staying on board. Thanks.

Rick

Hi Rick,

I know you didn't ask me but I've done a few b2b the last one being in October. If you do not wish to go ashore usually what happens is that you meet in the vista lounge around 9:30 or 10. You are held there until the ship zeros out which is around an hour or so in my experience. Then they scan your cards out. This process can change an you may have to get off the ship.

I've noticed only cosmetic things, like a bit of worn carpet on the front of a stair, or a loose latch or something. All in all, Oosterdam is in great shape.

Dave

Edited by RetiredMustang

Monday, February 1, Samana DR (Cont.)

After our excursion, we took another 20-minute tender ride back to the ship, and then did our usual shower and pre-dinner drinks routine.

Here is the dinner and dessert menu:

Starters – Soups – Salads

* Seafood Deviled Eggs – smoked salmon, crab, honey mustard dressing

* Sweet Tomato and Fresh Buffalo Mozzarella – aged balsamic vinegar, olive oil, basil, focaccia

* Crispy Crab Roll – crisp crouton roll, wasabi accented crab, avocado, cilantro, Thai chili mayo

* Sweet Corn Soup – basil olive oil

* Chicken Pho with Lime and Rice Stick Noodles – coconut milk broth, cilantro, galangal, mint, bean sprouts, Serrano chilies

* Chilled Guanabana Soup – toasted coconut, nutmeg

* Garden Bounty – gourmet greens, cabbage, radish, red bell pepper, sourdough croutons

Holland America Line Signatures

* French Onion Soup “Les Halles” – Gruyere cheese crouton

* Classic Caesar Salad – Parmesan cheese, garlic croutons, anchovies

Mains

* Baked Ziti with Sausage and Sun-Dried Tomato – ricotta, spinach, mild Italian sausage, sun-dried tomatoes, marinara

* Gilled Duck Salad with Dried Sour Cherries – mixed green, watercress, poached egg, walnuts, tarragon, sour cherry vinaigrette

* Barramundi with Coconut-Lemongrass Reduction – broccoli florets, seafood-Israeli couscous salad

* Parmesan-Coated Veal Loin – artichoke muschroom ragout, mascarpone polenta, French green beans

* Curry Coconut Chicken – snow peas, eggplant, zucchini, pimientos, opal basil, lemongrass, lime juice, mild red curry, coconut milk

* Caribbean ‘Jerk’ Chicken Breast – Jamaican beans and rice, grilled pineapple spears

* Curried Vegetable Cutlet – Indian spices, garbanzo beans, tomato sauce, baby bok choy

Holland America Line Signatures

* Grilled Salmon with Ginger-Cilantro Pesto – basmati rice, Swiss chard, garlic cherry tomatoes

* Broiled New York Strip Loin – cauliflower gratin, green peppercorn sauce

* Oven-Roasted Chicken – quinoa loaf, herb roasted vegetables, jus

Desserts

* After-Eight Cake – chocolate sponge, mint-chocolate chip mousse

* Warm Espresso-Date Pudding – sticky pudding, zabaglione, meringue

* Grand Marnier-Marinated Cherry Mille Feuille – vanilla cream, gianduia gelato

* Crème Brulee – vanilla-scented custard, warm vanilla sauce

* Peach Crisp – French vanilla ice cream

* Cheese and Fruit – Roquefort, Brie, Beecher’s Dutch Hollow Dulcet, Maaslander

* Sliced Fruit Plate – selection of fresh fruit

* Hazelnut Mousse Cake no sugar added – vanilla sponge cake, rum-flavored hazelnut mousse, hazelnuts, pistachios

* Hot Fudge Sundae – French vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, toasted almonds

* Ice Cream – Vanilla, Rocky Road, Orange Sorbet, Cookies N Cream Frozen Yogurt, Vanilla, Neapolitan

After Dinner Drinks

* After Eight Cordial, in souvenir glass – Kahlua, Crème de Cacao Green and Bailey’s Irish Cream: $6.95

* Espresso: $1.25

* Cappuccino: $1.75

- ask your serve for additional drink selections

More later,

Dave

Barb,

Here is the list of teas available this morning on the Lido for free. All are Bigelow brand:

Dave

Dave thanks so much for the extensive list. YEA, one less thing to pack. So glad HAL did away with the horrid tea they had last year.

Continue to enjoy you trip.

Thanks again, Barb

Dave,

I'd like to add my voice of appreciation for your "live review" of your cruise. My lovely wife and I will be boarding the Oosterdam on March 11 for the same 10 day cruise.

It's getting me excited to get onboard.

Neal

I got an interim bill today to check out how the SBC is being handled. Here’s what it shows:

That means the SBC covers the service charge. We got ours as part of the Explore 4 promo, so I’m not sure if it is different if just purchased on board.

Also, I have been drinking a shiraz that is listed on the bar menu as costing $8.00. It has been covered by the SBC, so the card does cover drinks that cost $8.00 or less before adding the 15% service.

Dave

I'm glad to hear the charge is the actual menu price of the drink.

Dave

Thanks for the clarification. And for sharing so much with us... we're all having a great cruise with you! m--

Tuesday, February 2, At Sea (Cont.)

We just enjoyed the day at sea, doing nothing in particular, having a latte from Explorations Café, checking the sales, relaxing on the balcony, etc. In late afternoon, we dressed for Gala dinner and enjoyed dining in the Pinnacle.

Here is what they were having in the MDR:

GALA Dinner

Appetizers

* Fruit Cup Au Naturel – pineapple, mango, cnteloupe, honeydew, seasonal berry garnish

* Orange-Jumbo Shrimp Cocktail – melon trio skewer, clinatro lemon grass aioli

* Escargot Bourguignon – herb garlic butter, Burgundy wine, French bread

Soups and Salad

* Creamed Artichoke and Heritage Carrot Soup – arugula pesto oil, crème fraiche

* Chicken with Soba Noodles – soy sauce, shiitake mushrooms, scallions, carrot, leek

* Salad of Arugula andl Frisee – William pear, mandarin segments, pistachios, cherry tomatoes, organic mixed seeds

Entrees

* Cracked Pepper Tenderloin with Grilled Shrimp – sautéed spinach, green beans, caramelized pineapple, balsamic reduction

* Rack of Lamb with Tomato Couscous and Garlic Pearls – roasted red bell pepper, sautéed artichoke

* Maple-Lacquered Duck Breast – corn-cranberry pudding, candied figs, sautéed spinach, cider vinegar sauce

* Yelllowfin Sole Fillet – smashed potato crab gallette, sauce verge, haricots verts

* Baked Ricotta Stuffed Shells – garlic-basil-tomato sauce, mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses

*Truffled Mushroom Risotto – Parmesan and mascarpone cheese

Desserts

* Chocolate Souffle – warm dark chocolate sauce

* Tower of Brandy Almond Snaps – raspberry mousse, fresh fruit, chocolate sauce

* Lemon Meringue Cheesecake – blueberry sauce, crushed amaretti

* Black Forest Cake no sugar added – chocolate cake, Kirschwasser-flavored cream, Bing cherries, chocolate shavings

The menu does not say, but I suspect you could get the available daily dishes as well.

More later,

Dave

Edited by RetiredMustang

so, honestly Dave, did you like the desserts? They sure sound good to me. People complain they are blah and small. I must tell you that on our Thanksgiving cruise they had pumpkin pie, apple pie, pecan pie--all traditional desserts. A friend was on Norwegian for the holiday and there was turkey but nothing else worth talking about. HAL gave us a typical USA dinner. Enjoyed!

I see that the Gala night's menu has more items than what we had on the Eurodam in October.

On our cruises, the "available items everyday" were not available.

I think it's because Dave is on a longer cruise. I bet the 7 days cruises still have the same mediocre choices.

so, honestly Dave, did you like the desserts? They sure sound good to me. People complain they are blah and small. I must tell you that on our Thanksgiving cruise they had pumpkin pie, apple pie, pecan pie--all traditional desserts. A friend was on Norwegian for the holiday and there was turkey but nothing else worth talking about. HAL gave us a typical USA dinner. Enjoyed!

It likely depend on what you are used to. I come from a line of very good cooks, so maybe the expectations are different. Hal's desserts used to be good and they do still have a few good ones. The pieces are tiny and yes I know you can order more than one but I don't.