Dave’s Live From Oosterdam 21-day Southern Caribbean, Jan. 29 – Feb. 19, 2016

RetiredMustang

Saturday, February 6, At Sea

Today is the first of two days at sea en route to turnaround in Ft. Lauderdale. We have had a hectic week with shore excursions in nearly every port, which we enjoyed very much, but we also enjoy relaxing days at sea. Maybe I can get around and get some pictures of the ship. I know we like to do a tour of the staircases on each ship, where we go to the top and walk slowly down the stairs, looking at the art and decorations.

To start, here are the first four pages of today’s On Location:

6Feb%20On%20Location%201_zps6ivohft7.jpg

6Feb%20On%20Location%202_zpsfyiydfk7.jpg

6Feb%20On%20Location%203_zpsp5eecvam.jpg

6Feb%20On%20Location%204_zpshnwkgwxl.jpg

Saturday, February 6, At Sea (Cont.)

Here are the last two pages of today’s On Location:

6Feb%20On%20Location%205_zpsgemffffh.jpg

6Feb%20On%20Location%206_zpsga7pkz5t.jpg

As well as a flyer that was in our mailbox. It advertises ship specials for the Super Bowl. We presume it will also be on our cabin TV.

Super%20Bowl%20flyer_zpsbdmsodmk.jpg

More later,

Dave

Dave - would you mind taking a look at the wines by the glass list and look to see if a white called nobilo Sauvignon blank is available and at what price? I've heard that it's available but that you have to ask for it and that it qualifies for the sbp. Trying to verify before pre-paying for the package on a cruise in a couple weeks. Thanks!

Since we are in Code Red, the bar menus have been removed, so I asked one of our usual bartenders in the Ocean bar. He said it was not available by the glass, but was in the Navigator package by the bottle. You will probably have to ask when you board, but it is not available by the glass now, at least in the Ocean Bar.

Dave

I think Hal's portions in the MDR can be on the small side depending on what you order. ... QUOTE]

Yeah, I know. The portion size for the mussels starter has been 6 mussels for several years now, which is why I order more. It's just that I like the mussels ... and whining. :D

Dave

I think Hal's portions in the MDR can be on the small side depending on what you order. ... QUOTE]

Yeah, I know. The portion size for the mussels starter has been 6 mussels for several years now, which is why I order more. It's just that I like the mussels ... and whining. :D

Dave

You can have my share but I want chocolate in return :D;). Have a great day!

This is the last day of nice weather in Cent. FL. Will be in 40's for lows all next wk. with gale force winds coming in tonight.

We seem to be having a rash of viruses here in FL--tis the time tourists bring them from up North and those us who went north for the holidays also brought some back. They range from a noro-type to headcolds. We are raking leaves! We had a cold snap last wk and trees and bushes didn't like it. No frost though.

Somehow those mussels on HAL don't have much flavor--I like Carrabas.

Since we are in Code Red, the bar menus have been removed, so I asked one of our usual bartenders in the Ocean bar. He said it was not available by the glass, but was in the Navigator package by the bottle. You will probably have to ask when you board, but it is not available by the glass now, at least in the Ocean Bar.

Dave

Dave - thanks so much for taking the time to ask! I was aware of the navigator package but have trying to figure out if I can make the sbp work for me. I think the answer is no. Thanks again. Really enjoying your posts.

Hello Dave,

Just received another e-mail from HAL regarding check in. We are requested not to come to the terminal before 4:00. There was a schedule as to check in by room numbers. Glad to hear the numbers are down on the noro, I suspect we will be on Code Red for the first day or longer. Glad you and your wife are doing ok. Looking forward to meeting you,

Sandy

We have been to the meeting and have received a letter about what will happen Monday. In short, the ship will do a deep cleaning. Everyone has to leave by 9 and can’t come back until 2:30. HAL is offering a free shore excursion and free shuttles to Galleria Mall. Everyone has been credited $25 to their account for lunch Monday, since the ship will not be serving during its flea-dip. Those like us on the Everglades airboat excursion will be credited the cost to our account. All on board is tentatively 5 p.m., with boat drill at 5:15. I’m presuming then a departure of 6 p.m. or so.

Here is the letter with attachment that we received:

Turnover%20day%20letter_zpscsvroiop.jpg

Turnover%20info%20sheet_zpsma0t5oqf.jpg

More later,

Dave

Thanks for posting the times and what HAL is offering for guests staying on for another cruise.

Having done all those excursions and not really liking the Galleria Mall, I don't know what we would do off the ship for all those hours. DH needs a nap after lunch every day when his one set of medications set in.

The $25 for lunch is more than fair. It's even enough to include transportation in addition to food for those who weren't planning to leave the port area.

Refunding your excursion cost is the right thing to do, since people are being given an excursion at no cost. It would not have been fair to penalize those who had already paid for it, while giving the same thing to others.

Noro and Code Red are no fun for anyone. Hope the deep cleaning works!

I think they were really fair with the compensation. For a deep clean in 2014 they put on complimentary shuttles in San Diego to the mall, or to Balboa Park, but no lunch. They have to do what they have to do. In Vancouver a couple of years ago they sent new boarding passengers away until 5 pm (my daughter was boarding), don't know what they did about the in-Transit pax.

The $25 for lunch is more than fair. It's even enough to include transportation in addition to food for those who weren't planning to leave the port area.

Refunding your excursion cost is the right thing to do, since people are being given an excursion at no cost. It would not have been fair to penalize those who had already paid for it, while giving the same thing to others.

Noro and Code Red are no fun for anyone. Hope the deep cleaning works!

Ruth,

We agree. We think HAL has done very well by us, considering they really have no choice but to do the deep clean and attack the noro situation aggressively. I think they are being as supportive as they can to everyone involved. I'm just sorry for the crew who have to do the deep cleaning, instead of maybe getting some time off.

Dave

We never did do much of anything today except go to meetings, talk to staff and start to get ready for turnaround day. We did get some time on the balcony and for pre-dinner drinks.

Here is the Gala Night dinner and dessert menu:

GALA Dinner

Appetizers

* Papaya with a Rainbow of Fruit – banana liquer, coconut shavings

* Jumbo Shrimp Cocktail – Brandy cocktail sauce

* Foie Gras with Apple Tarte Tatin – cassis reduction

Soups and Salad

* Sweet Potato–Star Anise Soup – ginger cream

* Chicken and Corn Soup– smoked chicken, roasted corn, bell pepper, mushrooms

* Apple, Pear and Cucumber Salad – frisee, dried cherries, blue cheese crouton

Entrees

* Surf and Turf – filet mignon, lobster tail, herb garlic butter, porcini basmati rice, sautéed vegetables

* Herb Crusted Veal Rack with Morels – loaded mashed potatoes, zucchini pearls

* Asian-Style Rotisserie Duck – sweet-and-sour sauce, sesame stir-fried vegetables, fried egg noodles

* Mushroom Ravioli – garlic cream sauce, forest mushrooms, tomato ragout

* Pan-Seared Artic Char – mashed potato, arugula oil, roasted Italian vegetables

* Pistachio and Cheese-Crusted Eggplant Piccata – Israeli couscous, garlic-tomato ragout

Desserts

* Warm Flourless Chocolate Cake – molten chocolate center, whipped cream, assortment of berries

* Berry Angel Food Cake – triple berry compote, Chantilly cream

* Passion Fruit Cheesecake – graham crust, citrus segments

* Tiramisu no sugar added – mascarpone cream, coffee and Kahlua-soaked sponge cake

More later,

Dave

We have been on quite a few HAL ships with Noro.

Never were we given any compensation. San Diego -- we sat in the terminal until 2:30 PM -- no lunch -- no nothing.

Once we were asked to leave the ship for deep cleaning -- when we were healthier and could do what ever we wanted to do. Again -- no shuttles to anywhere -- no compensation for lunches.

This is why I asked the questions that I did.

Having cruised on 5 different cruise lines -- HAL is the only cruise line where we encountered the Noro Virus many times.

Sunday, February 7, At Sea

We set our clocks back an hour last night, se we are back in Eastern Standard Time as we make our way to Ft. Lauderdale. Today is the Mariner meeting and brunch, and of course the Super Bowl.

Here are the first four pages of today’s On Location:

7Feb%20On%20Location%201_zpsqv288uvh.jpg

7Feb%20On%20Location%202_zpsrvwnuh9m.jpg

7Feb%20On%20Location%203_zpsexht1yfi.jpg

7Feb%20On%20Location%204_zpsfuuphikg.jpg

Sunday, February 7, At Sea (Cont.)

I realized that I had taken photos of our cabin the day we embarked, and forgot to post them. We are in a VC Verandah cabin. It is a bit smaller than the Vista suites we’ve had on the “S” class ships recently – it has a love seat instead of full sofa, with a correspondingly shorter desk area. But, it does have double electric outlets, each with 115V and 220V receptacles.

We have managed to stow all our things and find the cabin to be pretty comfortable.

Here are some of the photos I took:

VC%20cabin%201_zpsxlkfji5i.jpg

VC%20cabin%202_zpsjwbyknyz.jpg

VC%20cabin%203_zpsrxbizdi6.jpg

VC%20bath_zpsiddlbhpx.jpg

VC%20desk%20electrical%20outlets_zpsmoayvuun.jpg

More later,

Dave

Your On Location (post #193) lists a Superbowl VIP pass with unlimited drinks package for $100. The cost was $34.95 on our Hawaii cruise last year.

Thanks for your Live From thread, I am enjoying cruising along with you.

Your On Location (post #193) lists a Superbowl VIP pass with unlimited drinks package for $100. The cost was $34.95 on our Hawaii cruise last year.

Thanks for your Live From thread, I am enjoying cruising along with you.

I think there was a post to say unlimited drinks are $34.95 during the game. This is likely something else.

Sunday, February 7, At Sea (Cont.)

We attended the Mariners’ reception at 10, during which we received our silver medallions, and then went to the brunch in the MDR afterwards. Here is the menu, which hasn’t changed much:

Appetizer

* Warm Salmon, Arugula and Romaine Salad – with chickpeas and tomato, drizzled with orange-olive oil dressing

* Apple and Pear Gazpacho with Passion Fruit Sorbet

Entrees

* Braised Beef Short Ribs with Roasted Garlic Cloves – slowly cooked in a rich gravy, served over classic mashed potatoes and carrots with chives

* Butter Basted Cod Fillet – with a timbale of golden yellow rice and roasted basil flavored tomatoes

* Broccoli and Cheddar Quiche – served with orzo pasta, sautéed spinach and grilled tomato

Dessert

* Tres Leches – caramel sauce

Petit Fours, Coffee, Tea

Before the reception, I took some photos of the Crow’s Nest:

Crows%20Nest%201_zpstd1l4y9v.jpg

Crows%20Nest%202_zpsiqqebuqh.jpg

Crows%20Nest%203_zps32wjginf.jpg

Crows%20Nest%204_zps4di2iuel.jpg

More later,

Dave