Dave’s Live From Oosterdam 21-day Southern Caribbean, Jan. 29 – Feb. 19, 2016

RetiredMustang

We have also been to Martinique many times and it seems it was always on a Sunday with everything closed.

Great pictures.

Enjoy your Valentine's day.

KK,

I know what you mean! This is not perhaps our favorite Caribbean port, but we could probably enjoy the central city if only things were open and people were out and about. We understand that this 11-day itinerary makes a convenient 21-day Collectors' cruise with the 10-day one we did previously, but we think we would prefer a day at sea Sunday or a different island, with perhaps an overnight in St. Thomas instead, or something. Maybe adjust the itinerary a bit so that we are in Martinique one day "down" the islands towards Barbados. Or perhaps Sunday from Barbados becomes a day at sea, and Monday in Tortola or something ... we think it would be better than a dead Sunday in Martinique.

Dave

Btw thanks for posting the menu I read it to my wife every night to see what she would have, makes us salivate and anticipate our cruise even more

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums mobile app

You are welcome! I admit I am one of those who read other people's live blogs in part to read the menus and dream. I sometimes try to get photos, and sometimes they even have the menus in some of the bars, but I haven't seen them on Oosterdam, because now I could scan them with my new toy/tool. But, I take photos of the glass-enclosed ones outside the MDR and do a quick re-type. Luckily, I am a fast and (reasonably) accurate typist and it doesn't take me long to reproduce the menu ... provided I can rely on you readers to understand an occasional typo.

Please continue to enjoy!

Dave

Hope you have a better tour guide than we did & also, the 'gift shop' at the Rum Factory was a zoo! The area that was destroyed and seeing the museum was the best part of our tour.

Our tour guide was named Gregor, and he was one of the best we have had anywhere. The bit in the gift shop wasn't too bad, since it was just our bus -- another turned up as we were getting ready to leave. But, we took our rum samples and went outside to enjoy the views, and so did not see any crush at the cashiers or anything. The views were tranquil, and the rum was ... um, potent. Very enjoyable!

Dave

Dave, I'm loving your review and especially the photos! We took the same excursion the last time were in Martinique and really enjoyed it. Since we'll be there on a Sunday next month, I'm wondering if you saw anything going on near the pier area? Were those white tents on the docking area open for shopping? Thanks, Terri

Terri,

Those tents were new to us since we last visited. And, we were stepping lively both boarding the bus going and leaving the bus coming back, to avoid any rain showers, but I did notice they were selling local craft and other items, such as you might find in such markets in other ports. So, I suppose there is some shopping available on Sunday ... but I didn't see anywhere for getting a café au lait and croissant. :D

Dave

Dave was your Matinique tour through HAL? I assume yes but just curious.

It was a HAL tour.

We usually do HAL tours for out of town trips, because we don't want to be 20 miles from the pier and have the bus break down. It happened to us once, in Costa Maya. But, we were on a HAL tour and they sent a rescue bus and waited the ship for us. That would not have happened for private arrangements.

I know many people arrange their own tours, and we might as well for local ones, such as Woodwind snorkeling in Bonaire. But, even in someplace we have lived, such as Naples, Italy, we won't do private arrangements or go on our own out of town even though we know how and I speak Neapolitan dialect well enough -- especially in Naples, come to think of it ... we know what can cause a transportation delay. We are much more in our comfort zone with a HAL tour. YMMV.

Dave

Edited by RetiredMustang

Sunday, February 14, Martinique (Cont.)

We knew that tonight was not a Gala night, but we had hoped the ship would do something for dinner to mark St. Valentine’s Day. Unfortunately, there were no decorations we detected, and the menu, although it had a fancy title, was pretty much a regular one. DW was hoping for some chocolate truffles or something. The pillow chocolates are heart-shaped, though. They were quite tasty (or so I was told …)

Here is the dinner and dessert menu:

Valentine’s Celebration Menu

Starters – Soups – Salads

* Citrus Compote with Honey and Raisins – kiwi, orange, grapefruit, Gewurtztraminer

* “Heart” of Salmon Tartare – spicy salmon maki, curry mayonnaise, radish

* Warm Apple Smoked Salmon with Yogurt-Chive Dip – bread crisps, apple salad

* Roasted Shallot and Butternut Squash Soup – red beet crisps

* Chicken and Corn Soup – smoked chicken, roasted corn, scallions, bell pepper, mushrooms

* Chilled Apple Vichyssoise – ginger, yogurt cream, cinnamon, apple brandy, Granny Smith apples

* Sunset Salad – radicchio, frisee, caramelized pear, grilled red pepper, Blue cheese, signature vinaigrette

Holland America Line Signatures

* French Onion Soup “Les Halles” – Gruyere cheese crouton

* Classic Caesar Salad – Parmesan cheese, garlic croutons, anchovies

Mains

* Tagiatelle Verdi alla Conti – green peas, diced ham, creamy Parmesan cheese sauce

* Yucatan Salad with Chicken – mesclun mixed greens, jicama, orange slices, avocado, salsa vinaigrette

*Thai-Coconut Seafood – shrimp, scallop, rockfish, cilantro rice, bok choy

* Grilled Pepper-Crusted Filet Mignon with Green Peppercorn Sauce – sautéed spinach, sautéed mushrooms and gratin potatoes

* Wiener Schnitzel – breaded veal scaloppini, pan-fried potatoes, vegetable medley

* Chicken Scaloppini – Cognac-mushroom sauce, parsley mashed potatoes, assorted vegetables

* Risotto with Butternut Squash and Spinach – creamy seasoned risotto, oven-roasted butternut squash, lemony spinach bouquet

* Grilled Salmon with Ginger-Cilantro Pesto – basmati rice, Swiss chard, garlic cherry tomatoes

* Broiled New York Strip Loin – cauliflower gratin, green peppercorn sauce

* Oven-Roasted Chicken – quinoa loaf, herb roasted vegetables, jus

Desserts

* Snickers Cake – chocolate sponge, peanut-nougat cream, salted caramel frosting

* Chocolate Dipped Fruit Sugared Grapes – strawberry, pineapple and kiwi, dark chocolate, sugared grapes

* Wild Berries Bread and Butter Pudding – triple berry compote

* Crème Brulee – vanilla-scented custard, caramelized sugar

* Strawberry Crisp – French vanilla ice cream

* Cheese and Fruit – Maytag Blue, Pont-l’Eveque, Old Amsterdam, Edam

* Sliced Fruit Plate – selection of fresh fruit

* Raspberry Mousse Torte no sugar added – vanilla sponge cake, sugar-free raspberry mousse

* Blackberry Sundae – French vanilla ice cream, blackberry compote, whipped cream

* Ice Cream – Vanilla, Macadamia Nut, Mango Sorbet, Strawberry Frozen Yogurt, Vanilla no sugar added, Mint Chip no sugar added

After Dinner Drinks

* Violet Beauregard Cordial in souvenir glass – Chambord and Crème de Cacao: $6.95

* Espresso: $1.25

* Cappucino: $1.75

- ask your serve for additional drink selections

More later,

Dave

It was a HAL tour.

We usually do HAL tours for out of town trips, because we don't want to be 20 miles from the pier and have the bus break down. It happened to us once, in Costa Maya. But, we were on a HAL tour and they sent a rescue bus and waited the ship for us. That would not have happened for private arrangements.

I know many people arrange their own tours, and we might as well for local ones, such as Woodwind snorkeling in Bonaire. But, even in someplace we have lived, such as Naples, Italy, we won't do private arrangements or go on our own out of town even though we know how and I speak Neapolitan dialect well enough -- especially in Naples, come to think of it ... we know what can cause a transportation delay. We are much more in our comfort zone with a HAL tour. YMMV.

Dave

Understandable. And as you say to each their own!

We are on this itinerary on Koningsdam in November and was looking at what to do in Martinique. It doesn't really give me the warm fuzzies so was looking at the tour you talked about tha HAL offers. Hence my question, to make sure t was the same and worthwhile going on. :)

Our guide was a 20-something young lady who had very little to say & very few questions were asked of her. There were only 2 buses at the Rum Factory as well as some private vehicles but the line to get into the gift shop probably took 20 minutes & about that long to try the samples. The checkout lines were too long to even think about purchasing anything & we were told we could probably find the products for less by the pier..didn't check that out however.

Wendy,

This afternoon, I assembled a crack team of experienced Ocean Bar bartenders and servers, with experience in a variety of bars on a number of HAL ships, and asked the question. The consensus is: no, not the two examples you gave.

They agreed that the Sip and Savo(u)r was a promotional price, specifically exempted from the SBC, and also thought the special martini samplers fell in the same category. Special drinks of the day at sailaways are covered, as well as the usual drinks of the day, but not promotions like happy hour and others.

You should probably consult your team of master lubrication engineers when you board, but the ruling from Bar Team Oosterdam: nope.

Dave

Hi Dave,

thank you so much for asking! Seems like we have to order regular sized drinks :) Maybe we share (we both have the drink package)

I thought it would be nice just to try some samples.

It is so wonderful to read your blog - can´t wait to board the ship!

Wendy

Hi Dave,

thank you so much for asking! Seems like we have to order regular sized drinks :) Maybe we share (we both have the drink package)

I thought it would be nice just to try some samples.

It is so wonderful to read your blog - can´t wait to board the ship!

Wendy

You can try the samples and the Sip and Savor any time -- it's just that your room account will be charged for any drinks not covered by the SBC.

Dave

Monday, February 15, St. Kitts

We were in St. Kitts once before and took the sugar train excursion, which was great. This time, we’ve booked a tour of the Brimstone Fortress and Romney Gardens.

Here the first four pages of today’s On Location:

15Feb%20On%20Location%201_zpsnwq76hjw.jpg

15Feb%20On%20Location%202_zpsxkqnl8ys.jpg

15Feb%20On%20Location%203_zpsrzstf6xi.jpg

15Feb%20On%20Location%204_zpsowaskl1w.jpg

Our tour guide was named Gregor, and he was one of the best we have had anywhere. The bit in the gift shop wasn't too bad, since it was just our bus -- another turned up as we were getting ready to leave. But, we took our rum samples and went outside to enjoy the views, and so did not see any crush at the cashiers or anything. The views were tranquil, and the rum was ... um, potent. Very enjoyable!

Dave

Mmm, you brought back memories of Depaz rum! It's special because it's made from sugar, not molasses. I may still have some of the rum-based orange liqueur I bought there on a port stop.

Our tour guide in Martinique wasn't great. It's several years ago, so I have no idea who she was. We saw the rum, the church, and then went to the botanical gardens, where we were supposed to have time on our own. She offered to guide the group through, and many stuck with her, but a few of us bolted as soon as we could. At one point I could hear her shouting the names of plants from the other side of a hedge. Three times--once for the front of the group, once for the middle, once for those at the back. If we'd stayed with her, DH would have throttled her.

BTW, I've enjoyed your blog. We were on this cruise (and on the Cousteau boat with you), and reading this is letting me relive the cruise, even if it IS snowing outside this AM.

Monday, February 15, St. Kitts (Cont.)

(Editor’s note: OK, I was going to post about our day in St. Kitts this afternoon after we returned from our shore excursion. But, there was a great view out our balcony with lots of boat traffic and pelicans face-fishing, and the sun and the sea and … well, I entered the Lethargy Zone. I felt I should post a note that said “This blog temporarily closed for enervations.” But, I’m back from Lethargy and dinner in the Pinnacle, and am a reasonable facsimile of alert, at least for a while. We now resume this blog …)

We pulled into Basseterre in a heavy cross wind. An RCCL ship preceded us and moored with the wind pushing her into the pier. We were fighting the wind which was trying to push us away. But, some help from a tug, and the fact that we soon got into the lee of the RCCL ship, enabled us to moor.

I took a shot of the cruise pier and surrounding town in the early light:

Basseterre%20port%20and%20town_zpsks5at47m.jpg

We had an 8:30 shore excursion, as did a good many fellow passengers, and a bunch from the other ship – there were several lines of people behind guides holding signs on sticks.

We were broken into smaller groups of 20, to fit the buses, and we soon boarded ours and were on our way. We drove through the downtown a bit so the driver/guide could point out some things, and then we headed west along the southern island road. We drive several miles and made our first stop at Romney Gardens. It was interesting that we were visiting on U.S. Presidents Day, since there was a connection with the place and a U.S. President. Here is the sign posted at the entrance:

Romney%20Manor%20sign_zpsofbmc83x.jpg

The grounds included a giant Saman tree about 400 years old:

ancient%20Saman%20tree_zpsaviyjgp3.jpg

And other plants and flowers, including a showy bougainvillea bush:

bouganvillea_zpsx4kkzvzw.jpg

The site also included a small batik factory, where they gave demonstrations of the process. Here is a shot of some of the cloth drying in the sun:

batiks_zpsgaxjaif4.jpg

More later,

Dave

After leaving the Romney estate, we drove a few miles further and then up a very windy road to the top of an 800-foot hill to visit the Brimstone Fortress, built by the British in the 17th and 18th centuries.

The site had a commanding view of the lowlands and sea. I took a shot from an upper wall, and one down to a lower bastion with guns overlooking other parts of the coast:

Brimstone%20Fortress%20overlooking%20the%20lowlands%20and%20sea_zpsunpxepv0.jpg

Bastion%20of%20Brimstone%20Fortress_zpspfac976g.jpg

The uppermost part of the fortress was the Citadel, which included museum exhibits in some of the rooms. Here is a photo of the entrance to the Citadel:

Citadel%20of%20Brimstone%20Fortress_zpsuihrg6ut.jpg

We then got back on the bus, and went back on the bus at a greater rate of speed back to Basseterre. The main roads around Basseterre are pretty smooth, but the coast road wasn’t, and we did some bouncing in the back seat. To mix UK and US phrases, it was a right bumslammer.

We were dropped at the end of the shops and had to walk back through the shopping area to get to the ship – it’s almost as if they designed the drop-off point location on purpose. I got a quick shot of some of the shops as we made our way back to the ship:

cruiseport%20shops_zpsnx5qkdjx.jpg

More later,

Dave

We had dinner in the Pinnacle, which we enjoyed very much (try the Brussels sprouts with pancetta and Parmesan). But, I did capture what was served in the MDR.

Here is the dinner and dessert menu:

Starters – Soups – Salads

* Caramelized Orange and Grapefruit Cocktail – melon, tequila drizzle

* Smoked Trout with Sweet-and-Sour Beets – fresh dill, and crème fraiche

* Vegetable Samosa – radish-cucumber raita, tamarind

* Cheddar and Beer Soup – scallions, cheese twist

* Andouille and Spinach – chicken broth, wild rice, celery, thyme

* Gazpacho Andalusia – bell pepper, onion, cucumber, garlic, tomato, bread crumbs

* Baby Oak and Spinach – Parmesan cheese, garlic croutons, anchovies

* French Onion Soup “Les Halles” – Gruyere cheese crouton

* Classic Caesar Salad – Parmesan cheese, garlic croutons, anchovies

Mains

* Farfalle Boscaiola – tomatoes, onion, bacon, white wine, olive oil, Parmesan cheese

* Asian Turkey Salad – green onion, almonds, crisp wonton, bean sprouts, orange segments, rice noodles, sesame seeds, plum dressing

* Baked Crab Cakes – black bean-mango salsa, creamy jalapeno Jack cheese grits

* Carne Asada – grilled steak, steamed rice, black beans, gucacamole, warm flour tortillas

* Grilled Molasses Lamb Chops – garlic mango chutney, green beans and roasted shallots, Vichy carrots, creamy scalloped potatoes

* Chicken Breast with Prosciutto, Mozzarella and Basil – San Francisco-style wild rice, balsamic tomato concasse, roasted root vegetables

* “Moussakas Nistisimos” – eggplant, potato, bell pepper, onion, garlic, fresh herbs, béchamel, hollandaise, Parmesan, mozzarella

* Grilled Salmon with Ginger-Cilantro Pesto – basmati rice, Swiss chard, garlic cherry tomatoes

* Broiled New York Strip Loin – cauliflower gratin, green peppercorn sauce

* Oven-Roasted Chicken – quinoa loaf, herb roasted vegetables, jus

Desserts

* Chocolate Panna Cotta – vanilla ice cream, fruit caviar, almond macaroon

* Banana Tatin –vanilla ice cream

* Coconut Rice Pudding – raisins, ginger, lemongrass, vanilla bean, fried pineapple

* Crème Brulee – vanilla-scented custard, caramelized sugar

* Banana Crisp – French vanilla ice cream

* Cheese and Fruit – Roquefort, Pere Brie, Beecher’s Marco Polo, Maaslander

* Sliced Fruit Plate – selection of fresh fruit

* Cheesecake no sugar added – cream cheese, vanilla, strawberry, mint

* Pear Belle-Helene – French vanilla ice cream, poached pear slices, chocolate sauce, whipped cream

* Ice Cream – Vanilla, Banana, Pineapple Sorbet, Berry Frozen Yogurt, Vanilla no sugar added, Amaretto no sugar added

After Dinner Drinks

* Southern Belle Cordial in souvenir glass – Grand Marnier and Southern Comfort: $6.95

* Espresso: $1.25

* Cappucino: $1.75

- ask your serve for additional drink selections

More later,

Dave

Edited by RetiredMustang

Dave,

looks like you had another beautiful day! Thanks for the review of the St. Kitts tour. We'll be taking it next month and now I am really looking forward to it! Once again, thanks for all your hard work taking us all along on your cruise. Terri

From Dave: We were dropped at the end of the shops and had to walk back through the shopping area to get to the ship – it’s almost as if they designed the drop-off point location on purpose

(sorry, quote isn't working for me)

ALMOST??? You don't really think that's accidental do you? :rolleyes:

Curacao was the worst. That shopping mall was designed as a gauntlet for passengers to go through. Last time I was there (more than 10 years ago), you just walked the nice path to the swing bridge.