Dave’s Live From Oosterdam 21-day Southern Caribbean, Jan. 29 – Feb. 19, 2016

RetiredMustang

Wednesday, February 17, At Sea (Cont.)

Sorry everyone, but I basically checked out today. I remember a meal or two … I remember (sort of) a nap … I remember long periods spent on the balcony with DW, talking and staring at the sapphire water and watching flying fish fly, and birds swoop and dive. And then I remember waking up. In short, we didn’t do very much at all except relax … but it was a day to remember.

We did remember to shower and dress for Gala dinner in time to have a drink in the Sports Bar beforehand. Tonight’s menu was very much like the last Gala night from the previous cruise.

Before we got our meals, we were presented with an amuse bouche (French for “sippy cup”), which consisted of what the waiter said was watermelon gazpacho in a shot glass. I took one taste, and it was the flavor of bell pepper. No matter what else is in a dish, if it has bell pepper, it tastes only of bell pepper. What kind of chef would try to marry sweet fruity watermelon with bell pepper? Probably the same kind who would think it is a keen idea to completely destroy the delicate flavor of mozzarella di bufala by dumping balsamic vinegar on it.

Rant over. Here is the Gala Night dinner and dessert menu:

More later,

Dave

Based on the menus you posted with all the spices and balsamic vinegar not sure we are too interested in the food. I feel your "pain" above. We are at the airport in Portland ready to fly out. Too bad we will pass each other on Friday....:(

Rick & Joyce

Thursday, February 18, Half Moon Cay

We are approaching Half Moon Cay, with a pretty strong north wind. I hope the captain can find a safe lee to operate tenders. At least we are supposed to be the only ship at the island today.

Here are the first four pages of today’s On Location:

18Feb%20On%20Location%201_zpsw6mizz8b.jpg

18Feb%20On%20Location%202_zpsknr9zwpq.jpg

18Feb%20On%20Location%203_zpsaa4bvvfd.jpg

18Feb%20On%20Location%204_zpswrg6ogup.jpg

Dave, I hope the winds die down so you are able to go ashore. It's a nice way to end the cruise, isn't it? i just want to thank you AGAIn for taking us along with you on another great vacation. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did, LOL. It answered some of my questions about our upcoming Oosterdam cruise. I hope you have a great "packing day"! Terri:)

Dave,

Thanks so much for all your wonderful postings! Your first leg of B2B was our second leg and seeing your cruise come to an end means we been home for 10 days already and we really miss the Oosterdam. Reading your postings was almost like continuation of our cruise, except when we look out the window at 10" of snow! Hope things go well for you on Half Moon Cay today. Have a safe trip home.

Ed & Jan

Based on the menus you posted with all the spices and balsamic vinegar not sure we are too interested in the food. I feel your "pain" above. We are at the airport in Portland ready to fly out. Too bad we will pass each other on Friday....:(

Rick & Joyce

Have fun!

Thursday, February 18, Half Moon Cay (Cont.)

We took one of the early tenders and walked about. It was very pleasant, sunny but not too warm, one of the best we have had on HMC over the years.

I too many photos, and will share a lot of them in this and the next two posts.

HMC%20large%20tender_zpsjvcvrs6t.jpg

Oosterdam%20at%20HMC_zpslsdkbavf.jpg

HMC%20from%20Oosterdam_zpsbr7z0vq3.jpg

HMC%20from%20Oosterdam%202_zpsgciow1fq.jpg

Playground_zps0hchacg8.jpg

Here are a couple of shots of one of my favorite spots, which we managed to stop at – the I Could Stay Here Forever bar:

View%20from%20ICSHF%20bar_zpsugh96ksc.jpg

ICSHF%20bar_zpsdddszmnm.jpg

There is also a new large building that has been built since we visited last March. It is a building where passengers can line up and go through security before boarding the tenders back to the ship. It has adjacent foot washers for that last rinse of sand before leaving. There is even a bar inside, just in case you miss a tender and have to wait for another.

Last%20Call%20line_zpsf2sghzms.jpg

foot%20washers_zpsxyxhohpr.jpg

Last%20Call%20bar_zps278bwbx0.jpg

More later,

Dave

Hi Dave. If you have time, could you find out who the new Captain will be when Robert-Jan Kan leaves tomorrow?

And I've thoroughly enjoyed reading about your adventure. I board on 29th February and have made LOTS of notes.

Hope you have a relaxing last evening on board and safe trip home.

Have loved following along for your second leg of the trip. Thanks for all the photos and all the work you put into your blog. Makes me wish we had joined you. :D Safe travels to you and yours. Maybe our paths will cross again some day.

Have loved following along for your second leg of the trip. Thanks for all the photos and all the work you put into your blog. Makes me wish we had joined you. :D Safe travels to you and yours. Maybe our paths will cross again some day.

Thank you! And maybe if our paths cross again, we can introduce ourselves to each other. ;) It is, I think, a mark of CC that we members usually don't talk about it outside the meet and greets. Who knew that the Aquaspace shore excursion had three CC members -- me, you and 3rdGenerationCunarder? We just didn't talk about CC on the excursion.

My mug is not only what my father used to call a map of Ireland (I basically had his face when he was alive, and even more so now that I am getting to the age I remember him best), it is also my avatar, so every now and then someone does pick me out, but those occasions are rare outside the M&Gs.

I'm glad you enjoyed the blog. I always think that maybe this time I'll give it a pass, but always seem to start a blog. And, once I start it, I keep coming back to it.

We went for one last pre-dinner drink at the Crow’s Nest, and then into dinner. Again, the menu was very much like the last night of the previous cruise section. Tonight’s dinner was again called “An Evening with the Culinary Council” and featured dishes from the council chefs.

Here is the dinner and dessert menu:

Starters – Soups – Salads

* Tropical Fruit Medley – kiwi, lychees, papaya, Malibu dressing, coconut

* Jonnie Boer: Salmon Tartare with Baby Zucchini - tomatoes, watercress, mini cornichons, bacon-curry yogurt sauce

* Mark Best: Sweet Breads with Roast Cos Lettuce – burnt bread sauce

* Veal and Mushroom Ragout – served in flaky puff pastry

* Wild Mushroom Soup – chive oil drizzle, crème fraiche

* Potato Soup with Kale – turkey sausage, cabbage, white wine

* Chilled Peach Soup with Goat Cheese – cucumber, bell pepper, dried-apricot, honey

* Elizabeth Faulkner: Coconut, Carrot and Radish Salad – creamy black sesame vinaigrette

Mains

* Fettucine and Veal Ragout – ricotta, basil

* Jonnie Boer: Black Sesame Jumbo Shrimp Baharat Salad – poached egg, tomatoes, red radish, brioche croutons, cheese foam, citrus-ponzu dressing

* David Burke: Pan-Seared Rainbow Trout – spaghetti, sautéed zucchini

* Rudi Sodamin: Herb-Crusted Prime Rib – garlic mashed potatoes, roasted foot vegetables, horseradish-cream, jus

* David Burke: Lamb Shank – cauliflower-rosemary puree, crispy parsnip

* Mark Best – Quail with Pumpkin “tofu” – roasted Brussels sprouts, pork crackling, button onions

* Elizabeth Faulkner: Vegetable Curry with Forbidden Rice – cauliflower florets, green peas, root vegetables, pearl onions, coconut cream, curry spice, lime, cilantro

Dessert

* Rudi Sodamin: Baked Alaska – warm brandy Bing cherry sauce

* Jacques Torres: Poached Pear with Chocolate Fondue – caramelized nuts, white chocolate sauce

* Jacques Torres: Esterel Cake – almond sponge, chocolate ganache, raspberry preserves, while chocolate

* Strawberry Charlotte – strawberry mousseline, vanilla sponge, strawberry jam

More later,

Dave

Edited by RetiredMustang

Dave, Thanks again for sharing your cruise. Also, thanks for posting the picture of my favorite beach bar! You did a great job making us feel a part of the trip. Have a safe trip back to reality. But at least it's not back to work. ....Enjoy the retirement! Terri