Dave’s Live From Oosterdam 21-day Southern Caribbean, Jan. 29 – Feb. 19, 2016

RetiredMustang

(sorry, quote isn't working for me)

ALMOST??? You don't really think that's accidental do you? :rolleyes:

Curacao was the worst. That shopping mall was designed as a gauntlet for passengers to go through. Last time I was there (more than 10 years ago), you just walked the nice path to the swing bridge.

Of course I was joking about the bus drop-off. Clearly, ports have been designed to have us pass as many shops as possible. In Curacao, if your ship is docked at the Megapier, you have to walk through the Riffort and then the Renaissance shopping area to get back to the ship from the swing bridge. In designed ports like Grand Turk and Mahogany Bay, you have to go through the duty free shop just to get off the pier area. But, on the bright side, the shops usually have air conditioning. :D

Tuesday, February 16, St. Thomas

Today we visit St. Thomas. We have been here many times, but it is still one of our favorites. We haven’t booked any excursions, but plan to just go ashore, catch a cab to town and do a bit of shopping, and then probably head for Paradise Point.

Here are the first four pages of today’s On Location:

16Feb%20On%20Location%201_zpspym7rmix.jpg

16Feb%20On%20Location%202_zps3brege2j.jpg

16Feb%20On%20Location%203_zpsvivsu3fd.jpg

16Feb%20On%20Location%204_zpssa74csx3.jpg

I'm thoroughly enjoying your blog!

I have some questions for you. You mention the stop in St. Kitts, and the batik factory. Is there an opportunity to purchase batik fabric there? How long of a stop was it? Was the tour delayed at all for late returning shoppers?

We'll be visiting St Kitts next year and I am interested in this tour because of the batik factory. However, I hate being delayed or, worse, being the one late in returning to the bus which could easily occur if there are like minded people wanting to make a purchase.

Of course I was joking about the bus drop-off. Clearly, ports have been designed to have us pass as many shops as possible. In Curacao, if your ship is docked at the Megapier, you have to walk through the Riffort and then the Renaissance shopping area to get back to the ship from the swing bridge. In designed ports like Grand Turk and Mahogany Bay, you have to go through the duty free shop just to get off the pier area. But, on the bright side, the shops usually have air conditioning. :D

In Curacao, I discovered I left my spare camera battery on the ship, so I went back. I tried a diagonal route from the floating bridge to save time/steps, but ran into fenced and gated parking lots. So I ended up backtracking and taking longer than if I had just accepted my fate and walked the shopping trail.

You're right about the air con. On our boat trip in Aruba, the dive master kept reminding us how hot it was and said we should try to stay in the shade or in the shops with air con when we got back to port. I thought he was concerned for our safety, but maybe he was shilling for the chamber of commerce.

I have some questions for you. You mention the stop in St. Kitts, and the batik factory. Is there an opportunity to purchase batik fabric there? How long of a stop was it? Was the tour delayed at all for late returning shoppers?

We'll be visiting St Kitts next year and I am interested in this tour because of the batik factory. However, I hate being delayed or, worse, being the one late in returning to the bus which could easily occur if there are like minded people wanting to make a purchase.

I've been to that Batik factory, and you can definitely purchase! I went on a private tour so our group was small but we hit the factory when another large ship tour was there. We had no issues at all buying what we wanted. I just got squares to frame (which I still need to do!) so thanks for the reminder. :-) there were tons of staff to help, I think at least three women ringing people out and a plethora of shop workers helping you find what you were looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

umbluemusic has pretty much answered your questions, but I can tell you that people on our tour bus bought some things. We had about 30-35 minutes at the stop. I did not look to shop, but as I said others on our tour found the time and came back to the bus with purchases they had made. The grounds are not extensive, but I walked them a bit. I can personally attest to one thing, however -- the snack bar/canteen adjacent to the shop keeps the Carib beer very, very cold. Well worth the $3 U.S. on a warm day.

Dave

Edited by RetiredMustang

Tuesday, February 16, St. Thomas (Cont.)

We were on deck aft of the Crow’s Nest on sail-in, as were a good number of other passengers. When it became obvious we were making for Crown Bay, pretty much everyone was disappointed. Even though we knew we were supposed to go to Crown Bay, and the On Location said we would be there, there was always the hope the harbor authorities would shift us to Havensight. Oh well. We are in Crown Bay with an NCL ship, while at Havensight there is another larger NCL ship, an MSC ship and a Carnival one. Yet another NCL ship came in later and anchored in the harbor and was tendering to the downtown area. So, in all, six cruise ships are in port today.

We waited until the 8:30 and 9:00 a.m. shore excursions departed from both ships at Crown Bay, and went ashore with a thought to do some shopping, but not at Diamonds International, Cariloha or any of the other ship-recommended establishments. Instead, we went with a crew-recommended one; we grabbed a cab and asked to be taken to K-Mart. One of the multi-rider jeepney-style ones going to Havensight via downtown was happy to drop us off at the store, which is near Havensight. We got some favorite cough drops, mints, tissues, and other items, and then slowly walked a few blocks to the Paradise Point tram station.

It was well after 10 then, and the line was starting to build. But, we paid $21 each and got our wristbands and were able to get on the next triple-pod tram to the top. Here is a photo of a triple pod arriving at the top:

Trams%20arriving%20at%20Paradise%20Point_zps8psluw2v.jpg

The owners have done a lot of work on Paradise Point over the years, expanding the seating areas by the restaurant so more people could sit and admire the view. We were early enough to get a table with a good view, and enjoyed some drinks and a light lunch. While we were sitting there, a short shower drifted by, which is very common in St. Thomas. I think I got a decent photo of the resultant rainbow:

rainbow%20over%20Chaarlotte%20Amalie_zpslk4lgcqq.jpg

After lunch, we looked around the shops and got a few things for gifts, and I took a few more photos of the various views:

Charlotte%20Amalie%20harbor%20from%20Paradise%20Point_zpss46qejac.jpg

View%20of%20Caribbean_zps1fabhp3o.jpg

We returned on the tram, and were lucky enough to get a multi-rider cab leaving right away for Crown Bay via downtown. We always enjoy visiting St. Thomas, and especially enjoying the views from Paradise Point.

More later,

Dave

Edited by RetiredMustang

I've been to that Batik factory, and you can definitely purchase! I went on a private tour so our group was small but we hit the factory when another large ship tour was there. We had no issues at all buying what we wanted. I just got squares to frame (which I still need to do!) so thanks for the reminder. :-) there were tons of staff to help, I think at least three women ringing people out and a plethora of shop workers helping you find what you were looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

umbluemusic has pretty much answered your questions, but I can tell you that people on our tour bus bought some things. We had about 30-35 minutes at the stop. I did not look to shop, but as I said others on our tour found the time and came back to the bus with purchases they had made. The grounds are not extensive, but I walked them a bit. I can personally attest to one thing, however -- the snack bar/canteen adjacent to the shop keeps the Carib beer very, very cold. Well worth the $3 U.S. on a warm day.

Dave

Thank you both for the responses! Dave, I'm glad you took one for the team regarding the beer research! I hope POA1 will grant you membership in the Institute of Cheer.

I have always loved St. Thomas BUT on our last visit (just us at Crown and a Carnival at Havensight) we could not find any cab to take us back to Crown from Havensight . We waited at a place where all the rides were and a leader kept telling cabs to take us to Crown but all they wanted to do was go on an island tour. One driver wanted 5 people per row in her jitney. Really, 4 was uncomfortable. It was a miserable experience and we ended going to downtown shopping area and then to Crown with another couple. Also at the tram ride, no one told us you had to go up about 40 stairs to get to the tram.

Nice knowing ya St. Thomas.

Tuesday, February 16, St. Thomas (Cont.)

We heard from some other passengers around the ship this afternoon that there were traffic issues on St. John, and some passengers had taken an earlier ferry to make sure they got back. We sailed on time, so I presume everyone got back fine -- but it is something to keep in mind if you got to St. John on a St. Thomas port visit.

Here is the dinner and dessert menu:

Starters – Soups – Salads

* Banana and Orange Melange – splashed with a zippy lemon-mint sauce

* Grilled Vegetables and Asiago – olive oil, balsamic vinegar reducation

* Coconut-Crusted Scallops – mango-pepper salsa, cilantro, fresh lime

* Cream of Cauliflower – cauliflower, celery, leeks, cream

* Caramelized Onion and Shiitake Soup – Gruyere-Blue cheese crouton

* Chilled Blackberry Soup – topped with tangy, lemon-mint crème fraiche

* Tomato and Romaine Salad – cucumber, carrot, hearts of palm

Holland America Line Signatures

* French Onion Soup “Les Halles” – Gruyere cheese crouton

* Classic Caesar Salad – Parmesan cheese, garlic croutons, anchovies

Mains

* Fettuccine Gorgonzola – cream sauce, sun-dried figs, dates

* Chicken, Papaya and Avocado Salad – lime juice, walnut oil vinaigrette, watercress, walnuts

* Scarlet Seabass Fillet – lemon-parsley couscous, savory greens

* Braised Beef Roulade with Creamed Potatoes – red wine gravy, braised vegetables, sautéed savoy cabbage

* Grilled Pork Chop with Pineapple Rum Glaze roasted fennel, broccoli florets, mashed Boniato white sweet potato

* Picante Oven-Roasted Chicken Breast – cumin, chilies, roasted bell peppers, saffron rice, grilled vegetables

* Baked Cheese Polenta with Mushroom Ragout – steamed red beets, collard greens

Holland America Line Signatures

* Grilled Salmon with Ginger-Cilantro Pesto – basmati rice, Swiss chard, garlic cherry tomatoes

* Broiled New York Strip Loin – cauliflower gratin, green peppercorn sauce

* Oven-Roasted Chicken – quinoa loaf, herb roasted vegetables, jus

Desserts

* Chocolate Fudge Tartlet– roasted pistachios

* Mango Spire – mango mousse, mango puree, chocolate sauce

* Rum Baba – yeast cake, rum syrup, vanilla sauce

* Crème Brulee – vanilla-scented custard, caramelized sugar

* Cherry Crisp – French vanilla ice cream

* Cheese and Fruit – Maytag Blue, Brie de Nage, Beecher’s Flagship Reserve, Leiden

* Sliced Fruit Plate – selection of fresh fruit

* Passion Fruit Mousse Torte no sugar added – vanilla sponge cake, sugar-free passion fruit mousse

* Raspberry Sundae – French vanilla ice cream, raspberries, whipped cream, almond cake

* Ice Cream – Vanilla, Biscotti, Blackberry Sorbet, Blueberry Frozen Yogurt, Vanilla no sugar added, Butter Pecan no sugar added

After Dinner Drinks

* Banana Split Cordial in souvenir glass – Crème de Banana, Crème de Cacao and Amaretto: $6.95

* Espresso: $1.25

* Cappuccino: $1.75

- ask your beverage server for additional drink selections

More later,

Dave

... Also at the tram ride, no one told us you had to go up about 40 stairs to get to the tram. ...

Yes, you do have to climb many stairs to get to the trams. I usually mention something about that, but forgot this time. At the top, you have to descend many stairs to the shops and restaurant, and then climb back up to the tram. We saw some people with canes and other similar mobility issues, but passengers with walkers and wheelchairs should probably not plan on taking the tram.

Also, I know the ship sells on-your-own tram tickets for a slight discount. We usually don't buy them, because we always figure we should wait to see if it is pouring rain or something. But, if you do buy the tickets on board, be aware that you will still have to stand in line at the ticket booth to swap your ship tickets for the wrist bands.

Dave

Dave,

Was the "cab" you got at Crown Point those "Dollar" cabs where you sit on seats in the back with multiple people that drive over to Havensight? Are they easy to locate at both ends. We are wanting to do exactly what you did in St. Thomas. Can you pick them up on the water front near the main part of town that is half way between Crown Point and Havensight?

Sounds like you are out of the Noro Virus on the second portion of this cruise?

Rick

Dave,

Was the "cab" you got at Crown Point those "Dollar" cabs where you sit on seats in the back with multiple people that drive over to Havensight? Are they easy to locate at both ends. We are wanting to do exactly what you did in St. Thomas. Can you pick them up on the water front near the main part of town that is half way between Crown Point and Havensight?

Sounds like you are out of the Noro Virus on the second portion of this cruise?

Rick

Rick,

Yes, those were the cabs. They line up at Crown Bay, and a dispatcher asks where you want to go and sends you to the cab that will accommodate you. There are posted cab fares per person by destination, inclucing Red Hook, Coki Beach, etc. The basic fare is $4 per person to/from downtown, so that a trip from Crown Bay to Havensight is $8 pp (although I think they now give a discount if you have two or more -- we gave a $20 bill for the two us, figuring a tip was appropriate since they went to K-Mart for us, and picked us up conveniently at the tram station.) I don't remember the exact prices to Red Hook, etc., but they all seemed reasonable.

Most cabs either just go downtown and back, or to Havensight and back via downtown. We got one going to Havensight, but the K-Mart was pretty much on the way and the driver was willing to swing by and drop us off. Going back, we could have walked into Havensight to get a cab, but luckily one was unloading at the Paradise Point tram station and was willing to take us and others back to Crown Bay via downtown without swinging by Havensight.

The downtown cab stop area is at an open-air market, toward the east end of the central section, near the Coast Guard station and Veterans (FDR) park. The downtown cab area also has dispatchers that will get you to a cab going where you want to go.

And yes, this section of cruise has been noro free. Hope it continues for you.

I image you and Joyce are heading out soon -- safe travels, and I hope you enjoy your cruise!

Dave

Edited by RetiredMustang

Wednesday, February 17, At Sea

After several days in a row in port, we look forward to a relaxing day at sea today. Tonight is the second Gala night of this section of the Collectors Cruise.

Here are the first four pages of today’s On Location:

17Feb%20On%20Location%201_zpsufakgqsj.jpg

17Feb%20On%20Location%202_zpsravoak8q.jpg

17Feb%20On%20Location%203_zps9wpuy0qi.jpg

17Feb%20On%20Location%204_zpshylhdkbq.jpg

Wednesday, February 17, At Sea (Cont.)

Sorry everyone, but I basically checked out today. I remember a meal or two … I remember (sort of) a nap … I remember long periods spent on the balcony with DW, talking and staring at the sapphire water and watching flying fish fly, and birds swoop and dive. And then I remember waking up. In short, we didn’t do very much at all except relax … but it was a day to remember.

We did remember to shower and dress for Gala dinner in time to have a drink in the Sports Bar beforehand. Tonight’s menu was very much like the last Gala night from the previous cruise.

Before we got our meals, we were presented with an amuse bouche (French for “sippy cup”), which consisted of what the waiter said was watermelon gazpacho in a shot glass. I took one taste, and it was the flavor of bell pepper. No matter what else is in a dish, if it has bell pepper, it tastes only of bell pepper. What kind of chef would try to marry sweet fruity watermelon with bell pepper? Probably the same kind who would think it is a keen idea to completely destroy the delicate flavor of mozzarella di bufala by dumping balsamic vinegar on it.

Rant over. Here is the Gala Night dinner and dessert menu:

GALA Dinner

Appetizers

* Papaya with a Rainbow of Fruit – banana liqueur, coconut shavings

* Jumbo Shrimp Cocktail – Brandy cocktail sauce

* Asian Ming Thai Crab Cake – ginger, creamed wasabi, mango salad

Soups and Salad

* Sweet Potato–Star Anise Soup – ginger cream

* Chicken and Orzo – greens, root vegetables, lemon

* Apple, Pear and Cucumber Salad – gourmet greens, dried cherries, blue cheese crouton

Entrees

* Surf and Turf – filet mignon, lobster tail, herb garlic butter, porcini basmati rice, sautéed vegetables

* Herb Crusted Veal Rack with Morels – loaded mashed potatoes, zucchini pearls

* Asian-Style Rotisserie Duck – sweet-and-sour sauce, sesame stir-fried vegetables, fried egg noodles

* Mushroom Ravioli – garlic cream sauce, forest mushrooms, tomato ragout

* Pan-Seared Arctic Char – parsnip puree, pesto oil, roasted Italian vegetables

* Pistachio and Cheese-Crusted Eggplant Piccata – Israeli couscous, garlic-tomato ragout

Desserts

* Warm Flourless Chocolate Cake – molten chocolate center, whipped cream, assortment of berries

* Berry Angel Food Cake – triple berry compote, Chantilly cream

* Passion Fruit Cheesecake – graham crust, citrus segments

* Tiramisu no sugar added – mascarpone cream, coffee and Kahlua-soaked sponge cake

More later,

Dave

Sorry everyone, but I basically checked out today. I remember a meal or two … I remember (sort of) a nap … I remember long periods spent on the balcony with DW, talking and staring at the sapphire water and watching flying fish fly, and birds swoop and dive. And then I remember waking up. In short, we didn’t do very much at all except relax … but it was a day to remember.

We did remember to shower and dress for Gala dinner in time to have a drink in the Sports Bar beforehand. Tonight’s menu was very much like the last Gala night from the previous cruise.

Before we got our meals, we were presented with an amuse bouche (French for “sippy cup”), which consisted of what the waiter said was watermelon gazpacho in a shot glass. I took one taste, and it was the flavor of bell pepper. No matter what else is in a dish, if it has bell pepper, it tastes only of bell pepper. What kind of chef would try to marry sweet fruity watermelon with bell pepper? Probably the same kind who would think it is a keen idea to completely destroy the delicate flavor of mozzarella di bufala by dumping balsamic vinegar on it.

Rant over. Here is the Gala Night dinner and dessert menu:

GALA Dinner

Appetizers

* Papaya with a Rainbow of Fruit – banana liqueur, coconut shavings

* Jumbo Shrimp Cocktail – Brandy cocktail sauce

* Asian Ming Thai Crab Cake – ginger, creamed wasabi, mango salad

Soups and Salad

* Sweet Potato–Star Anise Soup – ginger cream

* Chicken and Orzo – greens, root vegetables, lemon

* Apple, Pear and Cucumber Salad – gourmet greens, dried cherries, blue cheese crouton

Entrees

* Surf and Turf – filet mignon, lobster tail, herb garlic butter, porcini basmati rice, sautéed vegetables

* Herb Crusted Veal Rack with Morels – loaded mashed potatoes, zucchini pearls

* Asian-Style Rotisserie Duck – sweet-and-sour sauce, sesame stir-fried vegetables, fried egg noodles

* Mushroom Ravioli – garlic cream sauce, forest mushrooms, tomato ragout

* Pan-Seared Arctic Char – parsnip puree, pesto oil, roasted Italian vegetables

* Pistachio and Cheese-Crusted Eggplant Piccata – Israeli couscous, garlic-tomato ragout

Desserts

* Warm Flourless Chocolate Cake – molten chocolate center, whipped cream, assortment of berries

* Berry Angel Food Cake – triple berry compote, Chantilly cream

* Passion Fruit Cheesecake – graham crust, citrus segments

* Tiramisu no sugar added – mascarpone cream, coffee and Kahlua-soaked sponge cake

More later,

Dave

Wonderful review and thank you for sharing with all of us cruise addicts. Your pictures are very good especially St. Thomas. Happy travels Dave & DW.

Quote from Dave (quote function isn't working for me)

"Checking out" is the perfect way to spend a sea day!

Do you remember the amuse bouche on the first formal night of the 1/29 cruise? It was "mushroom capuccino." The only thing "capuccino" about it was that it was served in a little cup. Decent mushroom soup but VERY awkward to eat with the tiny spoon provided.