Dave’s Live From Oosterdam 21-day Southern Caribbean, Jan. 29 – Feb. 19, 2016

RetiredMustang

Monday, February 8, Ft. Lauderdale (Cont.)

We had breakfast in the Lido, returned to our cabin and gathered our things to go ashore, including passports and in transit cards, and went to see if we could get a latte at the Explorations Café. The answer was “no” because, as the sign outside read, it was closed as it had already been sanitized.

So, we got cups of coffee from the Lido and got a table by the window to watch the action on the dock. We watched the forklifts unload cages of luggage, and heard many announcements for colors and numbers to debark. We have usually done expedited debarkation lately, but thought HAL had gone to a “silent” process with preset time windows, so we were surprised to hear the many announcements. Can anyone tell us how long have they been doing that again – or was this an unusual thing?

We had been given stickers with an “A” on them, while other tours had color-coded “L” stickers, we presume one color for the land and sea excursion and one for the shuttle to Galleria Mall. Shortly before 9 a.m., the announcement was made for those with stickers to debark. We joined the line, and once we had cleared customs and immigration, were directed to our bus.

We spent about 30 minutes en route to the Sawgrass Recreation Park, where we boarded a large airboat for a 30-minute ride (flight?) over a portion of the Everglades. It was about 60 degrees F/15 degrees C at the time, and our tour guide was dressed in tights under her pants (she said, I didn’t check it out) as well as a heavy sweatshirt. She welcomed us to Florida winter. Here we had been thinking it was beautiful, warm spring day.

When we got on the airboat and got to top speed of about 35 mph (60 kph), we would have appreciated a jacket, but when we stopped, the sun quickly warmed us. Unfortunately, the alligators were also native southern Floridians and decided it was just too darn cold to come up to check us out, so we didn’t see any on the boat ride.

Here are some photos I took of the ride, as well as a shot of another boat passing by:

Airboat%20ride%201_zpssmo9awiw.jpg

Airboat%20ride%202_zpsdjb83wui.jpg

Airboat%20tour_zps3wphxiu8.jpg

More later,

Dave

We returned to the dock and had a few minutes for a restroom and/or coffee break. We then gathered and went to other areas of the park ground. First we saw alligators, quite a number them, mostly small. Then we were shown a large male alligator, named Cannibal:

He was basking and sunning himself on what for him was a cold day. Then, a staff member not only entered the cage with the large animal, but then proceeded to poke him with a stick (!) to make him move a bit and show some teeth. OK, it’s anthropomorphizing, but I swear the look and demeanor of Cannibal was along the lines of “Give me a break, Bill, I’m cold! Just let me lie here in the sun.”

Cannibal_zpsorwgurwk.jpg

Cannibal%20and%20staffer_zps3tycqsg2.jpg

The guide explained that most of the animals in the park were rescued from the Everglades and given sanctuary. In another section were some exotic animals that had been abandoned or donated by owners who had realized that maybe an exotic wild animal was not such a great thing to have around the house. Some were native locally, such as a Florida Panther, which is endangered. The leopards and other animals such as a bobcat, a fennec fox and a ring-tailed lemur, were not. Here are shots of the Florida panther and a leopard:

Florida%20Panther_zpswkbqqphu.jpg

Leopard_zpsvdqctdbh.jpg

We were then driven back to the port, and at Pier 26, we were greeted by staff members who showed us to a separate waiting area for in-transit passengers. We arrived at about 12:45, and about an hour later, were allowed to board. Our cabins were not ready until about 3, but at least we were aboard and could enjoy the public spaces while waiting for our cabins to be ready.

More later,

Dave

Edited by RetiredMustang

Thought I'd post a picture of the Oosterdam as it sailed out of Ft. Lauderdale this evening the 8th.

Did you get to hold the gator (small) on your excursion?

Thanks again Dave for all the information you have posted.

Rick

7.jpg

Dave... first & foremost, congrats on your retirement! Secondly, great shot of our hands! :D We were on the excursion with you! LOL

How funny! We were the ones who kept moving to the end of the observation chamber and ended up with me on the end stool and DW on the edge of the small bed. I hope you enjoyed the excursion -- we did. The snorkeling was great.

Dave

Thought I'd post a picture of the Oosterdam as it sailed out of Ft. Lauderdale this evening the 8th.

Did you get to hold the gator (small) on your excursion?

Thanks again Dave for all the information you have posted.

Rick

7.jpg

Rick,

We had the opportunity to hold one of the little squirmers, but decided to let others who were more enthusiastic about the prospect have their time. DW did pet a (de-scented) skunk, though.

I hope your turnaround day in Ft. Lauderdale does not involve a deep cleaning. :D

Dave

It was pretty hectic on board in the afternoon and evening, as you might expect. HAL had started shuttling people to the Pier 25 terminal to have more places to sit, and offered rides to the mall to anyone who wanted. But, it took a while to get them all back to Pier 26 and onboard.

Then, when boat drill started, someone fell down some stairs and the medical team responded, which delayed the drill a bit. The drill ended about 5:45, and those of us with fixed dining went to the MDR, which had not opened yet, so a crowd developed there as well. It opened shortly thereafter, though, and everyone was able to get seated, although some were coming as late as 6:15. The staff was working as fast as they could, and I don’t think late fixed seating was delayed too much.

Here is the dinner and dessert menu:

Starters – Soups – Salads

* Bay Shrimp Cobb with Celery Slaw – Blue cheese, bacon, green onion, red radish, creamy cider vinaigrette

* Carpaccio of Beef Tenderloin – olive oil, Reggiano-Parmigiano, whole grain mustard sauce

* Tomato and Goat Cheese Tart – fresh greens, basil-infused olive oil

* Tomato and Fennel Soup – crème fraiche

* Chicken and Leek Soup – potato, prunes

* Chilled Guava and Passion Fruit Soup – almond macaroon

* Heart of Romaine Lettuce Nicoise – tuna, green beans, cucumbers, tomato, olives, red onion, potato, oregano vinaigrette

Holland America Line Signatures

* French Onion Soup “Les Halles” – Gruyere cheese crouton

* Classic Caesar Salad – Parmesan cheese, garlic croutons, anchovies

Mains

* Penne with Crisp Bacon – bell pepper, rosemary, tomato, Fontina cheese

* The Chef’s Salad Bowl – smoked ham, Swiss cheese, oven-roasted turkey, casalingo salami, hard-boiled egg, Thousand Island dressing

* Shrimp Andouille and Grits – okra, zesty tomato sauce, citrus, roasted poblano pepper

* Grilled NY Strip Loin with Charred Button Onions – grilled vegetables, olive oil red-skin mashed potatoes

* Pork Bucco – tomato sauce, lemon-garlic, mushroom risotto

* Chicken Breast with Israeli Couscous – mushroom-artichoke saute, black olives, curry-bell pepper coulis

* Quinoa Vegetarian Meatballs – dill-paprika sauce, crumbled feta, brown rice and pine nut pilaf

* Grilled Salmon with Ginger-Cilantro Pesto – basmati rice, Swiss chard, garlic cherry tomatoes

* Broiled New York Strip Loin – cauliflower gratin, green peppercorn sauce

* Oven-Roasted Chicken – quinoa loaf, herb roasted vegetables, jus

Desserts

* Devil’s Food Cake – chocolate-orange buttercream

* Key Lime Pie – whipped cream, mango sauce

* Viennese Apple Strudel – cinnamon, raisins, warm vanilla sauce

* Crème Brulee – vanilla-scented custard, caramelized sugar

* Banana Crisp – French vanilla ice cream

* Cheese and Fruit – Maytag Blue, Brie de Nage, Beehcer’s Dutch Hollow Dulcet, Leiden

* Sliced Fruit Plate – selection of fresh fruit

* Lemon Torte no sugar added – lemon cream, lemon garnish

* Brownie Hot Fudge Sundae – mint chocolate chip ice cream, whipped cream, toasted almonds

* Ice Cream – Vanilla, Raspberry Italian Cheesecake, Lemon Sorbet, Vanilla Frozen Yogurt, Vanilla no sugar added, Butter Pecan no sugar added

After Dinner Drinks

* Mudgee Mint Cordial in souvenir glass – Kaluha and Crème de Menth Green: $6.95

* Espresso: $1.25

* Cappucino: $1.75

- ask your serve for additional drink selections

More later,

Dave

How funny! We were the ones who kept moving to the end of the observation chamber and ended up with me on the end stool and DW on the edge of the small bed. I hope you enjoyed the excursion -- we did. The snorkeling was great.

Dave

I remember!! I think you gave me your seat, so thank you! And yes, it was a great excursion on an interesting vessel! Enjoy the rest of your cruise. Safe travels!:)

Tuesday, February 9, At Sea (Cont.)

We are still in precautions that we used to call Code Orange for the first couple of days of a cruise – no salt and pepper shakers, no serving yourself coffee or from the buffet, etc.

We had breakfast in the Lido, followed by lattes in the Explorations Café. At 10, I attended the CC Meet and Greet for this cruise, organized by iflyrc5 again, assisted by Cinder Again. It was pretty well attended and we were able to chat and compare notes and tips on this itinerary.

At 11:30, we attended the Collectors’ Voyage Indonesian Rijsttafel lunch in the MDR upper level. We were greeted at the entry by crew in costume:

crewin%20costume_zpscbp0bd26.jpg

On the way out I got a shot of the decorations:

MDR%20entry%20decorations_zpstxojtk9v.jpg

Here is what was served:

Indonesian%20lunch%20menu_zpsqpr5zwop.jpg

The main course included all of the items listed on the menu. Here is a photo of what was served to me (minus the krupuk):

rijstaffel%20entree_zpshqurqgqg.jpg

This is similar to a dish HAL used to serve in the MDR and which they called just Nasi Goreng. I always liked that dish, but I found today’s version a bit kicked up in the spices. I suspect the cooks had toned it down from what they would normally cook for themselves, but it was plenty spicy for me. I ate every bit of it. The rice pudding was welcome, I admit.

More later,

Dave

Tuesday, February 9, At Sea (Cont.)

We spent a lazy afternoon, mostly on our balcony. I did go about some of the public spaces and took photos, and will post them tomorrow or so, after I have organized them.

There was a mixology class in the Ocean Bar that ran late, so we got our pre-dinner drinks in the Sports Bar.

Starters – Soups – Salads

* Supreme of Fruit Galliano – vanilla herbal liqueur, lime juice, mint

* Duck Galantine – lingonberry marmalade, Waldorf salad

* Fusion Crab Cakes with Mango Slaw – coconut, cilantro, ginger, lime, curry, Indian-spiced tomato chutney

* Green Chile and Corn Chowder – roasted bell pepper, cilantro

* Pistou Soup – Provencale vegetables, white beans, pesto oil

* Chilled Pineapple Pina Colada Soup – coconut milk, rum, cinnamon, pineapple slice

* Great Sound Salad – Bibb lettuce, avocado, tomato, red beans, French green beans, garbanzo beans

* French Onion Soup “Les Halles” – Gruyere cheese crouton

* Classic Caesar Salad – Parmesan cheese, garlic croutons, anchovies

Mains

* Linguini Carbonara – egg-cream sauce, pancetta, Parmesan cheese

* Avocado Citrus Salad – avocado, Meyer lemon slices, mixed lettuce, basil, citrus zest, sherry vinaigrette

* Seared Cajun Tuna Steak – horseradish potato rosti, basil, plum tomato confit

* Prime Rib of Beef au Jus – baby corn medley, baked potato

* Sauteed Berkshire Pork Chop – plum chutney, kale quinoa

* Herb-Roasted Half Chicken – dried fruit compote, garlic mashed potatoes, sugar snap peas, red onion

* Oven-Baked Eggplant Parmigiana – Provolone cheese, spaghetti, marinara sauce, fried basil

* Grilled Salmon with Ginger-Cilantro Pesto – basmati rice, Swiss chard, garlic cherry tomatoes

* Broiled New York Strip Loin – cauliflower gratin, green peppercorn sauce

* Oven-Roasted Chicken – quinoa loaf, herb roasted vegetables, jus

Desserts

* Tartufo – dark and white chocolate mousse, dark cherry glaze

* Berry Snow Cap – berry compote, sweet biscuit, meringue

* Warm Caribbean Rum Cake – vanilla ice cream

* Crème Brulee – vanilla-scented custard, caramelized sugar

* Mango Blueberry Crisp – French vanilla ice cream

* Cheese and Fruit – Gorgonzola, Pont-l’Eveque, Fiscalini Cheddar, Edam

* Sliced Fruit Plate – selection of fresh fruit

* Apple Tower no sugar added – white sponge cake, cinnamon apples, whipped cream

* Mango Sundae – French vanilla ice cream, dice mango, mango sauce, whipped cream

* Ice Cream – Vanilla, Pistachio, Raspberry Sorbet, Chocolate Frozen Yogurt, Vanilla no sugar added, Chocolate Chip no sugar added

After Dinner Drinks

* Hazel Eyes Cordial in souvenir glass – Frangelico, Bailey’s Irish Cream and Tia Maria: $6.95

* Espresso: $1.25

* Cappucino: $1.75

- ask your serve for additional drink selections

More later,

Dave

Wednesday, February 10, At Sea

We’ve set our clocks forward in anticipation of St. Maarten tomorrow. Another day at sea, and a day to relax before the first Gala night of this leg of the Collectors’ cruise.

Here are the first four pages of today’s On Location:

10Feb%20On%20Location%201_zpsckl4d4gr.jpg

10Feb%20On%20Location%202_zpsg7sp1rcn.jpg

10Feb%20On%20Location%203_zps8pov3vfr.jpg

10Feb%20On%20Location%204_zps5z6yvkyf.jpg

Loving your reports Dave. Question - how difficult (or not) was it getting out of and back on the Aquaspace when you snorkelled off Bonaire? Thank you.

It was pretty much the same as getting back aboard other snorkel boats from the water. The Aquaspace is a catamaran, with the underwater observation deck between the two hulls. The catamarans slope down in the back to small platforms a few inches above the water. On the port side, there was a ladder with three of four rungs on each side of a central post. We declined the offer of fins, which made it much easier just to grasp the ladder and hoist aboard. You will still need a bit of arm strength to pull up to get your feet on the lower rung, because the ladder doesn't hang all that far down, but that's the case with other boats as well.

Dave

Wednesday, February 10, At Sea (Cont.)

Tonight was the first Gala Dinner. The menu seemed much the same as the first one on the last cruise.

GALA Dinner

Appetizers

* Pineapple Boat – toasted coconut, strawberries

* Orange-Jumbo Shrimp Cocktail – melon trio skewer, cilantro lemon grass aioli

* Escargot Bourguignon – herb garlic butter, Burgundy wine, French bread

Soups and Salad

* Creamed Artichoke and Heritage Carrot Soup – arugula pesto oil, crème fraiche

* Chicken with Udon Noodles – soy sauce, shiitake mushrooms, scallions, carrot, leek

* Salad of Arugula and Frisee – William pear, orange segments, pistachios, cherry tomatoes, organic mixed seeds

Entrees

* Cracked Pepper Tenderloin with Grilled Shrimp – sautéed spinach, green beans, caramelized pineapple, balsamic reduction

* Rack of Lamb with Tomato Couscous and Garlic Pearls – roasted red bell pepper, sautéed artichoke

* Maple-Lacquered Duck Breast – corn-cranberry pudding, candied figs, collard greens, cider vinegar sauce

* Yelllowfin Sole Fillet – smashed potato crab gallette, sauce verge, haricots verts

* Baked Ricotta Stuffed Shells – garlic-basil-tomato sauce, mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses

* Truffled Mushroom Risotto – Parmesan and mascarpone cheeses

Desserts

* Chocolate Souffle – warm dark chocolate sauce

* Summer Berry Pudding – sweet-tart berry compote, topped with vanilla Bavarian cream

* Lemon Meringue Cheesecake – blueberry sauce, crushed amaretti

* Black Forest Cake no sugar added – chocolate cake, Kirschwasser-flavored cream, Bing cherries, chocolate shavings

More later,

Dave

Edited by RetiredMustang

Thanks, Dave, for the details. My husband and I were on the Oosterdam in January 2015 out of Sydney and loved it and we will be taking the TA on her in a few weeks...the last trip before the renovation. Sorry to hear about the virus, but that happens frequently and no one handles it better than HAL. We have had it many times on TA crossings but have never been sick....one of my best tips is to punch elevator buttons with your elbow, not your fingers...good practice even when you are not on a ship. Again, thanks for all of the great info and have a safe trip home.

Reba in Texas