Dave’s Live From Oosterdam 21-day Southern Caribbean, Jan. 29 – Feb. 19, 2016

RetiredMustang

It likely depend on what you are used to. I come from a line of very good cooks, so maybe the expectations are different. Hal's desserts used to be good and they do still have a few good ones. The pieces are tiny and yes I know you can order more than one but I don't.

HAL desserts are either a big hit or a miss..... I often order a cheese and fruit plate if there is nothing that interests me, or ice cream sundae. Several cakes have been dry - I have had delicious , moist cobblers and then some have looked like they were left out in the desert too long.

BUT, I have never come home feeling hungry, so it can't be all that bad! :D

Carol

HAL desserts are either a big hit or a miss..... I often order a cheese and fruit plate if there is nothing that interests me, or ice cream sundae. Several cakes have been dry - I have had delicious , moist cobblers and then some have looked like they were left out in the desert too long.

BUT, I have never come home feeling hungry, so it can't be all that bad! :D

Carol

Almost every night I go with the fruit crisps and they are usually good. How can you screw that up? They had a key lime pie that was much different then their last recipe and it was excellent. Their cakes are too whip creamy for me as I don't enjoy whip cream. I remember having a pumpkin chocolate cake and it had to be the most disgusting thing I've ever had on a ship. I saw someone saying it was delicious recently. Go figure.

Edited by cruz chic

I see that the Gala night's menu has more items than what we had on the Eurodam in October.

On our cruises, the "available items everyday" were not available.

On our recent Nieuw Amsterdam cruise we had only 3 entrees offered on Gala night but we asked for the "always available" salmon, which was not on the menu, and they brought it to us. m--

Edited by RMLincoln

Dave,

Would love to see if you can scan and post the Canaletto menu. We haven't been to the restaurant in the last couple of cruises and we understand there has been some changes in the menu items.

Rick

Rick,

There were no loose copies of the Canaletto menu out for me to scan, but I took a photo of the one behind the glass and have re-typed it:

----------------

“Spartire” is the Italian word for sharing. It is a concept that is part of everyday life in Italy, especially when eating with friends and family. Our menu is designed around this authentic Italian experience and offers a variety of dishes to enjoy and share. The right amount of food is always important so we suggest ordering two small plates, one pasta and one large plate for every two people at your table. Buon appetito!

Small plates

- * Salumi – prosciutto, coppa, grissini, shaved pecorino, assorted olives

- Veal and Sage Polpettine – glazed chipolini onions, rustic tomato sauce

- Zuppe di Pesce – mussels, clams, shrimp, scallops, cod, vegetables, tomato saffron broth

- Canaletto Salad – Boston lettuce, roasted beets, Gorgonzola, candied walnuts, raspberry vinaigrette

- Duck & Chicken Liver Pate – spiced duck preserve, rustic toast, kumquat marmalade

- Seared Beef Carpaccio – rosemary aioli, shallots, sea salt, cracked pepper

- Eggplant Caponata – golden raisins, pine nuts, mint

- Vermouth Braised Clams – spicy chorizo, garlic, basil

Pasta

- Pappardelle – shrimp, artichokes, lemon-herb emulsion

- Spaghetti – Bolognese or Pomodoro

- Potato Gnocchi – braised beef short rib, mascarpone, butter-roasted carrots and celery

- Rigatoni – Italian sausage, Kalamata olives, spicy tomato sauce

- Ricotta Ravioli – braised leeks, oven-dried tomatoes, arugula-pine nut pesto

Large Plates

- Sauteed Veal Piccata – lemon angel hair, capers, kale crisps

- Braised Chicken Cacciatore “al Forno” – caramelized carrots, soft Parmesan polenta

- Roasted Pork Loin Saltimbocca – seared escarole, cannellini beans, Marsala glace

- * Grilled Lemon-Thyme White Seabass – roasted fingerling potatoes, shaved fennel, orange-olive salad

- Portabella Mushroom – with zucchini “spaghetti”

Holland America Line only serves responsible seafood

* The U.S. Food and Drug Administration advises that eating uncooked or partially cooked meat, seafood, shellfish, milk, poultry and/or eggs may increase your risk for food-borne illness especially if you have certain medical conditions

Dolci

- Tiramisu – lady fingers, espresso, coffee liquor, rum, cocoa powder

- Limoncello Crème – Tuscan lemon liquor

- Torta alla Cacao – walnut praline, vanilla bean gelato

- Gelato – Strawberry, Vanilla Bean, Pistachio, Gianduia

- Selection of Italian Cheeses

--------------------------

Dave

so, honestly Dave, did you like the desserts? They sure sound good to me. People complain they are blah and small. I must tell you that on our Thanksgiving cruise they had pumpkin pie, apple pie, pecan pie--all traditional desserts. A friend was on Norwegian for the holiday and there was turkey but nothing else worth talking about. HAL gave us a typical USA dinner. Enjoyed!

Well, we have only dined in the MDR four nights, and only passed on dessert once, and that was more because we just didn't want any that night. I've already posted about the chocolate delight that I loved. DW has had the tartufo which she said was almost as decadent, as well as the hot fudge sundae. I have enjoyed raspberry sorbet, and also had the After-Eight cake, which I also recommend to chocolate lovers.

I admit that we no longer do dessert in the Lido at lunch, unless maybe a scoop of ice cream. The cakes seem pretty tasteless and the frostings whipped nothing-in-particular. But, the MDR dinner desserts have been pretty good so far.

Dave

Wednesday, February 3, Bonaire (Cont.)

We had booked the ship’s Aquaspace Semi-Sub and Marine Park Snorkel excursion. We met on the pier and boarded a bus to go a mile or so up the coast to the marina where our boat was docked.

It was named the Aquaspace, and it was used before by Jacques Cousteau in his research, according to the tour description. It was a unique-looking vessel:

Aquaspace_zps0jqqsowu.jpg

There were 17 of us. We boarded the vessel, and the captain used his engines to head out and back down the coast toward the cruise pier area. He then turned the boat and hoisted sail to take us across to Klein Bonaire. Once we were near the island, he turned the boat to parallel the coast, and invited us to go below to the underwater observation chamber:

submerged%20observation%20space_zpsdqsi549x.jpg

We spent several minutes under power and sail along the coast, with deeper blue water out one side where the reef dropped down quickly, and with lots of coral and fish on the other side. I took a few photos, as did a lot of the other passengers:

taking%20photos_zps3598bivm.jpg

But, my photos did not really turn out well – the human eye is much more capable of seeing colors and shapes than my small camera. We did see an enormous number of fish, of a good many different species, as well as colorful corals, more clearly than from a usual glass-bottom boat.

After sailing along Klein Bonaire, we turned toward the main island. The captain sailed us to a spot about three miles up the coast from the cruise pier, where there were mooring cables and floats in what was obviously a popular snorkeling and dive spot. We had about 40 minutes to snorkel the pristine clear waters. I spotted a lot of fish of many different kinds, and went along the drop-off edge and saw a profusion of beautiful, multi-colored corals. After snorkeling, we were served soft drinks, wine and beer, and had some snacks, including a quite good pita sandwich with ham and Gouda.

So, I would rate this excursion highly. We have snorkeled Bonaire several times, and had fabulous conditions each time. But, the experience in the underwater chamber was also superb. This would be a great excursion for a couple, one of whom did not want to go into the water while the other did – they both could see the fish and coral, and one could stay dry.

More later,

Dave

Edited by RetiredMustang

I see that the Gala night's menu has more items than what we had on the Eurodam in October.

On our cruises, the "available items everyday" were not available.

On my recent cruise in Alaska I could find nothing on the Gala menu that appealed to me. The "available items every day" were not listed on the menu but the waiter indicated that the salmon (which he knew I liked) was available. I was glad that I spoke up. That's why I prefer the same waiter each evening, they learn your likes and dislikes and can make suggestions.

Great report on Dominica.

The first time we were there, we tendered into a different area -- not much of anything at the dock.

Then on our last cruise, we were quite a distance from the tender pier and the seas were very rough. So skipped going into the new area.

I believe DAve was on Samana, Dominican Republic, not Dominica. Looked like a fun excursion. It looks like they were taken to a place way above the beach we were taken to on our snorkel excursion off Samana several years ago. Looks like the port area has grown up a lot since we were there following hurricane Tomas.

Wednesday, February 3, Bonaire (Cont.)

We returned to the ship, I posted some to the blog, and then we just lazed about on the balcony. We then did our evening routine before dinner. That’s when we discovered that we were in either Code Orange or Code Red – bread served to us and not in a basket on the table; salt and pepper in little paper packets, etc. While at dinner, the Captain came on the announcing system to say we had some cases of intestinal distress, so the ship was implementing a disinfection protocol. When we returned to our cabin, this was in our mail box:

Noro%20memo_zpscft8kxqm.jpg

Here is the dinner and dessert menu:

Starters – Soups – Salads

* Melange of Tropical Fruit – cilantro balsamic maple reduction

* Seared Black Pepper Duck Breast – apple-celeriac salad, lingonberry cream

* Baked Sweet Potato and Crab Stuffed Jumbo Shrimp – tropical fruit relish

* Thai Shrimp Bisque – ginger, cilantro, coconut milk, lime

* Cheese Tortellini and Vegetable Soup – tomato, zucchini, celery, carrot, Parmesan cheese

* Chilled Sour Cherry Soup – crème fraiche, ginger

* Iceberg Lettuce with Crumbled Gorgonzola Cheese – toasted garlic croutons, chives, tomato

Holland America Line Signatures

* French Onion Soup “Les Halles” – Gruyere cheese crouton

* Classic Caesar Salad – Parmesan cheese, garlic croutons, anchovies

Mains

* Linguini with Prosciutto and Gorgonzola – alfredo sauce, nutmeg, basil, garlic bread

* Santa Fe Salad – lime-marinated turkey, corn, black beans, cheese, tortilla strips, tomato, mixed lettuces, spicy peanut-cilantro vinaigrette

* Herb-Crusted Scallops -

* Filet of Beef Wellington – duck liver-mushroom duxelles, beef tenderloin, puff pastry, Madeira sauce, duchess potatoes, asparagus, beurre blanc sauce, San Francisco-style fried rice, sautéed spinach

* Sauteed Calf’s Liver with Apples and Pancetta – caramelized onion, sautéed spinach, crispy potato pancake

* Braised Game Hen with Mandarins and Sage – collard greens with bacon, golden roasted rissole potatoes

* Vegetarian Stuffed Cabbage – red bell pepper sauce

* Grilled Salmon with Ginger-Cilantro Pesto – basmati rice, Swiss chard, garlic cherry tomatoes

* Broiled New York Strip Loin – cauliflower gratin, green peppercorn sauce

* Oven-Roasted Chicken – quinoa loaf, herb roasted vegetables, jus

Desserts

* Warm Chocolate Cake with Blueberry Cream – bittersweet chocolate cake, blueberries, bourbon-flavored whipped cream

* Frangipane Pear Tart – coconut ice cream, almond cookie

* Kiwi and Passion Fruit Pavlova – vanilla whipped cream, passion fruit sauce

* Crème Brulee – vanilla-scented custard, warm vanilla sauce

* Rhubarb Crisp – French vanilla ice cream

* Cheese and Fruit – English Stilton, Humbold Fog, Beecher’s Marco Polo, Old Amsterdam

* Sliced Fruit Plate – selection of fresh fruit

* Almond Fruit Cake – almond butter cake, cherries, berries, Frangelico whipped cream

* Cherries Jubilee Sundae – French vanilla ice cream, Cognac-Bing cherries, whipped cream

* Ice Cream – Vanilla, Strawberry, Passion Fruit Sorbet, Blueberry Frozen Yogurt, Vanilla, Chocolate

After Dinner Drinks

* Mocha Mint Cordial, in souvenir glass – Crème de Menthe, H=Kahlua and Crème de Cacao White: $6.95

* Espresso: $1.25

* Cappuccino: $1.75

- ask your serve for additional drink selections

More later,

Dave

Edited by RetiredMustang

Rick,

There were no loose copies of the Canaletto menu out for me to scan, but I took a photo of the one behind the glass and have re-typed it:

----------------

“Spartire” is the Italian word for sharing. It is a concept that is part of everyday life in Italy, especially when eating with friends and family. Our menu is designed around this authentic Italian experience and offers a variety of dishes to enjoy and share. The right amount of food is always important so we suggest ordering two small plates, one pasta and one large plate for every two people at your table. Buon appetito!

Dave

Dave,

Outstanding! Thanks for the "extra effort" on this menu it is appreciated.

Rick

"Here is the dinner and dessert menu:

Starters – Soups – Salads

* Melange of Tropical Fruit – cilantro balsamic maple reduction

* Seared Black Pepper Duck Breast – apple-celeriac salad, lingonberry cream

* Baked Sweet Potato and Crab Stuffed Jumbo Shrimp – tropical fruit relish

* Thai Shrimp Bisque – ginger, cilantro, coconut milk, lime

* Cheese Tortellini and Vegetable Soup – tomato, zucchini, celery, carrot, Parmesan cheese

* Chilled Sour Cherry Soup – crème fraiche, ginger

* Iceberg Lettuce with Crumbled Gorgonzola Cheese – toasted garlic croutons, chives, tomato

* French Onion Soup “Les Halles” – Gruyere cheese crouton

* Classic Caesar Salad – Parmesan cheese, garlic croutons, anchovies

Mains

* Linguini with Prosciutto and Gorgonzola – alfredo sauce, nutmeg, basil, garlic bread

* Santa Fe Salad – lime-marinated turkey, corn, black beans, cheese, tortilla strips, tomato, mixed lettuces, spicy peanut-cilantro vinaigrette

* Herb-Crusted Scallops -

* Filet of Beef Wellington – duck liver-mushroom duxelles, beef tenderloin, puff pastry, Madeira sauce, duchess potatoes, asparagus, beurre blanc sauce, San Francisco-style fried rice, sautéed spinach

* Sauteed Calf’s Liver with Apples and Pancetta – caramelized onion, sautéed spinach, crispy potato pancake

* Braised Game Hen with Mandarins and Sage – collard greens with bacon, golden roasted rissole potatoes

* Vegetarian Stuffed Cabbage – red bell pepper sauce

* Grilled Salmon with Ginger-Cilantro Pesto – basmati rice, Swiss chard, garlic cherry tomatoes

* Broiled New York Strip Loin – cauliflower gratin, green peppercorn sauce

* Oven-Roasted Chicken – quinoa loaf, herb roasted vegetables, jus

Desserts

* Warm Chocolate Cake with Blueberry Cream – bittersweet chocolate cake, blueberries, bourbon-flavored whipped cream

* Frangipane Pear Tart – coconut ice cream, almond cookie

* Kiwi and Passion Fruit Pavlova – vanilla whipped cream, passion fruit sauce

* Crème Brulee – vanilla-scented custard, warm vanilla sauce

* Rhubarb Crisp – French vanilla ice cream

* Cheese and Fruit – English Stilton, Humbold Fog, Beecher’s Marco Polo, Old Amsterdam

* Sliced Fruit Plate – selection of fresh fruit

* Almond Fruit Cake – almond butter cake, cherries, berries, Frangelico whipped cream

* Cherries Jubilee Sundae – French vanilla ice cream, Cognac-Bing cherries, whipped cream

* Ice Cream – Vanilla, Strawberry, Passion Fruit Sorbet, Blueberry Frozen Yogurt, Vanilla, Chocolate"

Wow, that's a really nice menu! We didn't see Beef Wellington on our eastern Med 12 nighter..... servers told us they save that for longer cruises. Looks like you are getting the "good" menus! Good for you, enjoy! m--

I believe DAve was on Samana, Dominican Republic, not Dominica. Looked like a fun excursion. It looks like they were taken to a place way above the beach we were taken to on our snorkel excursion off Samana several years ago. Looks like the port area has grown up a lot since we were there following hurricane Tomas.

You are right -- it was Samana that we also visited. Missed getting that "n".

Thursday, February 4, Curacao (Cont.)

We arrived and were moored before 7 a.m. I took a few photos including this one of Willemstad in mostly cloudy conditions in early morning:

Willrmdstad%20at%20dawn_zpswd31nxu0.jpg

I did not that the Queen Emma pontoon pedestrian bridge had been repaired and was opening and closing. It was closed for repairs when we last visited in March of last year.

Later, on our shore excursion, I got a shot of Oosterdam from the Queen Juliana Bridge:

Oosterdam%20from%20Queen%20Juliana%20Bridge_zpsuedfsppr.jpg

And, wandering around after our tour, I took a photo of the interior of the Riffort:

Inside%20Riffort_zpsl0yfidaw.jpg

More later,

Dave

We decided to take the ship’s Ostrich Farm and Aleo Plantation excursion, which left at 9.m. We drove over the Queen Juliana Bridge and about 10 miles to the eastern portion of the island.

We went first to the Ostrich Farm. We arrived, walked through the building containing restrooms, shop, museum and a restaurant, to a loading area where our limo awaited:

Ostrich%20Farm%20limo_zps0xdcsmrj.jpg

Our tour guide drove the truck around the farm, stopping many times to describe the animals, how the farm worked, etc.:

tour%20guide_zpshopexscs.jpg

At one point, we stopped and were given the opportunity to feed the ostriches:

feeding%20ostriches_zpstxxf0j8y.jpg

(And yes, I have that woman’s permission to post her photo.)

The ostriches were not dainty eaters, and after many of us took our turns feeding the birds, there was a lot of feed pellets on the ground. Luckily, the farm has a contingency for that, as well as the edible garbage generated from the restaurant – Vietnamese pot-bellied pigs:

pot-bellied%20pigs_zpsjteupryi.jpg

At one point, our guide coaxed one of the male ostriches into giving us the ostrich territorial warning dance:

Ostrich%20warning%20dance_zpsbn4xqgnp.jpg

More later,

Dave

After visiting the ostrich farm, we drove a short way to the Aleo Plantation, where we learned about the plant and its uses, including a demonstration of what the interior of an aloe leaf looks like:

inside%20an%20aloe%20leaf_zpsnnqgmemp.jpg

Those who wished could also get a taste, as the guide diced small pieces to offer. He said it had not much flavor, and the texture of a slimy cucumber. We wimped out, but many of our fellow passengers took a piece each. Surrounding the area where the guide showed discussed the operation were thousands of the aloe vera plants:

aloe%20vera%20plants_zpsfph2zh3a.jpg

All in all, the tour took about three hours, and was actually quite interesting. There were two boys, about 8 and 10 years old, on the tour, and they got a huge kick out of the tour. And, the guide was deft at describing the breeding of the birds so that I doubt many questions were generated for the boys’ parents later.

More later,

Dave

Edited by RetiredMustang