Golden Princess (Our Thoughts)

VK3DQ

LOL Gut, at least that $10 is per person and not for a family, 2 members of which might be teenage lads with neverending stomachs. ;)

But Curtis' is $10 for a meal and I agree when my two were teens (about and a girl) they could out eat me, and that really is saying something.

But there's not a lot of difference between $10 a person a day (including coffee tea and morning/afternoon tea and snacks) and $10 for one meal for a family of 4.

Slight aide but $10 pp od is pretty generous, I don't hint Mrs Gut spends $210 a week on food to feed the three of us and I be princess pays a lot less per agg than we do (egg being just ine example).

Indeed CS's $10 meal isn't anything that spectacular either, even if we only take 14 meals a week (not 21) that's $140 a week on groceries.

Thank you, yes I am partial to a bit of savoury mince on toast, make it now and again, now I know what the edible hush puppies are! As for food standards on the ships, yes the galley teams are only as good as their Executive Chef, if he/she is slack, the finished product will not be there. I too have had great food on Princess and ordinary food. I have found the quality/quantity of food in the Princess ships operating from overseas, i.e. Crown, Ruby, Golden, Coral, Star etc and carrying mostly North Americans is superior to the food served on the Australian Princess ships I have been on, Sun Princess, Dawn Princess. Maybe they have their better catering teams on the American ships and a bigger food budget to keep the North Americans happy.

Hush puppies sounds like San choy bow on toast.:D

http://allrecipes.com.au/recipe/10153/san-choy-bow.aspx

Edited by MicCanberra

But Curtis' is $10 for a meal and I agree when my two were teens (about and a girl) they could out eat me, and that really is saying something.

But there's not a lot of difference between $10 a person a day (including coffee tea and morning/afternoon tea and snacks) and $10 for one meal for a family of 4.

Slight aide but $10 pp od is pretty generous, I don't hint Mrs Gut spends $210 a week on food to feed the three of us and I be princess pays a lot less per agg than we do (egg being just ine example).

Indeed CS's $10 meal isn't anything that spectacular either, even if we only take 14 meals a week (not 21) that's $140 a week on groceries.

They spend more than $10 for tucker per day per crim out at Long Bay complex of Prisons. (Sydney)

I think the NSW Corrective Services could contract Curtis Stone to make some hush puppies for the lads out there. LOL.

Edited by NSWP

I too was un impressed with the Curtis Tone dishes, in my opinion not as good as the every day options that were taken off to make room for them.......

The Curtis Stone in the MDR doesn't make me inclined to rush out and try Share.

Unfortunately I agree. The Curtis Stone dishes in the MDR did not exactly go down a treat with us either. Definitely not an improvement in our opinion. It all sounds great, marketing it all they way they do, with a celebrity Aussie chef, but it didn't actually go to well once your actually there.

I know Princess are going in hard on everything against Royal Caribbean. They got Jamie Oliver, Princess got Curtis Stone. I don't think Princess are in front on this battle, at this stage.

I've yet to be on a ship with "Share" to try out the new specialty restaurant in his name. Will do soon on Emerald. so far I'm expecting really great ambiance and design, but I have a big question mark on the food (and price that goes with it) based on the MDR offerings. I wonder if my free specialty restaurants vouchers will include the more expensive "Share".

Unfortunately I agree. The Curtis Stone dishes in the MDR did not exactly go down a treat with us either. Definitely not an improvement in our opinion. It all sounds great, marketing it all they way they do, with a celebrity Aussie chef, but it didn't actually go to well once your actually there.

I know Princess are going in hard on everything against Royal Caribbean. They got Jamie Oliver, Princess got Curtis Stone. I don't think Princess are in front on this battle, at this stage.

I've yet to be on a ship with "Share" to try out the new specialty restaurant in his name. Will do soon on Emerald. so far I'm expecting really great ambiance and design, but I have a big question mark on the food (and price that goes with it) based on the MDR offerings. I wonder if my free specialty restaurants vouchers will include the more expensive "Share".

Do let us know how that goes with the Emerald cruise.:D

Hi Folks

My insurance company has agreed my claim for my Christmas cruise, and I expect there will be no issues with the cancellation of my march 11th trip ... however I doubt very much if anything will ever restore my faith in Belly Pork after Curtis Stone's efforts.

I'm off for a "procedure" on Wednesday which hopefully will clear up a few issues that are still uncertain ... but the main thing appears to be injury to my back .......

Curtis Stone .... you should NEVER EVER be allowed anywhere near a nice juicy hunk of belly pork ... NEVER...

Memories of the Pork in Murano's on the Solstice ...Hmm Yummy!

:D:eek: Regards

John

Hi Folks

My insurance company has agreed my claim for my Christmas cruise, and I expect there will be no issues with the cancellation of my march 11th trip ... however I doubt very much if anything will ever restore my faith in Belly Pork after Curtis Stone's efforts.

I'm off for a "procedure" on Wednesday which hopefully will clear up a few issues that are still uncertain ... but the main thing appears to be injury to my back .......

Curtis Stone .... you should NEVER EVER be allowed anywhere near a nice juicy hunk of belly pork ... NEVER...

John

I hope the backs OK.

I'VE BEN LAID UP ALL WEEK WITH MINE, AFTER A FALL.

ain't no fun that's for sure.

Hi Folks

John

So can we banish Curtis Stone to P&O Australia? Get orf Princess !!! Get Gordon Ramsay in !!

Maybe Princess is putting all the 3 for free people in to Stoney's Pork Belly eatery.

As most of you know we did 30 days on Golden, BA to LA in March 2014, Around the Horn, no complaints, food was good, Curtis was not aboard, we tried (with our regular MDR table of 8,) Sabbatinis and Crown Grill, very good.

Edited by NSWP

I hope the backs OK.

I'VE BEN LAID UP ALL WEEK WITH MINE, AFTER A FALL.

ain't no fun that's for sure.

Thats not good to hear .. I hope you are on the mend soon , part of my issues are from side effects of pain killers .... but I am slowly getting better but its taking its own sweet time

We took the plunge and booked for the November cruise hoping I will be better by then , but in reality 12th June is the day I need to be right for for return of deposit if I have to cancel

Regards

John

Now I have to seriously research Travel insurance :p

So can we banish Curtis Stone to P&O Australia? Get orf Princess !!! Get Gordon Ramsay in !!

Maybe Princess is putting all the 3 for free people in to Stoney's Pork Belly eatery.

As most of you know we did 30 days on Golden, BA to LA in March 2014, Around the Horn, no complaints, food was good, Curtis was not aboard, we tried (with our regular MDR table of 8,) Sabbatinis and Crown Grill, very good.

Not Ramsay, Mrs Gut isn't a fan of the F Bomb.

Yep! I must admit to being surprised with the quality of the MDR food on GP , she IS as I have said a very nice ship ... I wonder if it was just a Christmas glitch .

If we want a good chef lets get Shannon Bennet from Vue de Monde... a real cracker of a chef .

The food on GP was not a patch on my local pub , which is nothing special , I must have a little nag at Princess and see what they can offer me for that 2018 50th Wedding trip ..... we have been trending towards Cunard , but Princess do offer a UK- OZ trip at the same time of the year on Emerald Princess which would be nice , and the Mini Suite would be nice ..

Regards

John

Thats not good to hear .. I hope you are on the mend soon , part of my issues are from side effects of pain killers .... but I am slowly getting better but its taking its own sweet time

We took the plunge and booked for the November cruise hoping I will be better by then , but in reality 12th June is the day I need to be right for for return of deposit if I have to cancel

Regards

John

Now I have to seriously research Travel insurance :p

Some of the pain killers (and I'm well acquainted with most) cause more issues than they solve.

I'm fine, I've lived with a crook back since i was a Teen, and maybe if I'd quit playing league when I was first advised to it might not be as bad.

Spent a few years in a wheelchair, still have the odd fall due to nerve damage to the old legs, took five years off cruising, or dong much else really. Nearly went insane when I had to all but give up work.

I guess I'm lucky I can work a few days a month and still mak good money and the wonderful Mrs Gut has a great job and between her and miss Gut I get good care, sometimes too good.

VK3DQ and Gut, I do hope your health issues get better - sooner rather than later. Good for you VK3DQ for getting back on the horse too. I wish you both the very best, healthwise, in the future. And wishing you both fair seas with a following wind (isn't that what they say?).

Had an issue with my DH a fortnight ago ... don't ask ... but paramedics called, copious medical tests and ongoing appointments later I'm afraid all I could say through all this was "Don't you dare up and die on me ... I haven't finished with you yet!! :mad: And he laughed and has been getting back to normal very quickly. :). So fingers crossed we'll be A-OK for our upcoming cruise. Growing old is a beeeech! But I'd hate to be 'young' again and still have to go through it all! ;) (Sorry, had to get that off my chest.)

And for the record ... IMO, "celebrity" chefs are a total waste of time. I've never seen any one of them cook great food ... consistently! It's all about the smoke and mirrors and nonsense they go on with on their television programmes. I've never ever seen Gordon Ramsay, for example, actually cook ... have you?

John

It was absolutely fantastic the numerous times I had it.:D

VK3DQ and Gut, I do hope your health issues get better - sooner rather than later. Good for you VK3DQ for getting back on the horse too. I wish you both the very best, healthwise, in the future. And wishing you both fair seas with a following wind (isn't that what they say?).

Had an issue with my DH a fortnight ago ... don't ask ... but paramedics called, copious medical tests and ongoing appointments later I'm afraid all I could say through all this was "Don't you dare up and die on me ... I haven't finished with you yet!! :mad: And he laughed and has been getting back to normal very quickly. :). So fingers crossed we'll be A-OK for our upcoming cruise. Growing old is a beeeech! But I'd hate to be 'young' again and still have to go through it all! ;) (Sorry, had to get that off my chest.)

And for the record ... IMO, "celebrity" chefs are a total waste of time. I've never seen any one of them cook great food ... consistently! It's all about the smoke and mirrors and nonsense they go on with on their television programmes. I've never ever seen Gordon Ramsay, for example, actually cook ... have you?

Thank you.

Hope your hubby is OK.

AT least mine is only pain and immobility not life threatening per se.

I can relate a few years ago he lively Mrs Gut had her first attack of pancreatitis and they thought it was a heart attack and I was saying similar, "Don't you dare leave me, you promised me at least 65 years and it's only been 30" and it seemed to take forever for the ambulance to arrive.

Goodness, hope he recovers as well.

Yes, wouldn't want to go through all of life again although some of the highlights would be great to do over.:D

Good luck all you crook people, do yourself a favour, book a worldie, SKI big time.

I am not 100% myself, pushing the 70, but got two left on my bucket list after all my other adventures, 1. Antarctica with Chimu Adventures which my son can help me with. 2. A European River Cruse, with Avalon, Viking or Uniworld, not APT or Scenic (I like to meet people from all over not just Aussies) Amsterdam to Budapest to settle the boss down.

Hope to do them both in the next 3 years, finances and health permitting.

Remember, you cannot use that Visa card in heaven.

Good luck all you crook people, do yourself a favour, book a worldie, SKI big time.

I am not 100% myself, pushing the 70, but got two left on my bucket list after all my other adventures, 1. Antarctica with Chimu Adventures which my son can help me with. 2. A European River Cruse, with Avalon, Viking or Uniworld, not APT or Scenic (I like to meet people from all over not just Aussies) Amsterdam to Budapest to settle the boss down.

Hope to do them both in the next 3 years, finances and health permitting.

Remember, you cannot use that Visa card in heaven.

Hope you get to do them both and some.:D