11:55 Arrival into MCO

cruisexlife

Hello,

I am considering a cruise from Port Canaveral in October. It is going to be short and sweet, so using the direct flight on Spirit Air will optimize this. However, the flight does not land until 11:55. Is this too risky? We plan on checking a bag. For transfers, w only book with the cruise line (Carnival), so do you think by the time we get our bags, and get on the transfer we will be able to make it on time? How much are transfers, and how long do they take?

This is not final, Southwest hubs in Baltimore and MCO, so we see about 10 flights a day there. I will have to wait a month to book a southwest flight, same goes for jetblue. So this is not my only option, but it is being considered.

Thank you so much to anyone who can help! :D

Have you confirmed that your cruise line will still be offering transfers after noon? Considering you need to claim a bag, if all goes well you should be ready for a transfer around 12:30. Since you didn't ask opinions as to whether arriving that late is a good idea or not, I won't offer one but wish you best of luck!

Have you confirmed that your cruise line will still be offering transfers after noon? Considering you need to claim a bag, if all goes well you should be ready for a transfer around 12:30. Since you didn't ask opinions as to whether arriving that late is a good idea or not, I won't offer one but wish you best of luck!

Well I am asking if arriving this late will be too risky, I'm just not asking for the sidenote about the airline ;) I feel as though this is too late, and I plan on waiting it out until Southwest and jetBlue release their schedules but I am curious as to what those who have done this think.

That's a good point, I will have to see if carnival even runs transfers after noon. Thank you!

If you find out the last ride out to the cruiseport, you can make it. I just came from the Freedom January 17th. Upon my arrival there on Januay 9th (day before my cruise).

Give yourself an extra 30 minutes to 45 to get your bags (by the time you walk to the tram and down to get your bags and get to the proper level for the buses).

It take 45 minutes to drive out to the cruiseport. If Carnval's last bus doesn't pick up by 1:30 pm, another option may be to take another shuttle service out there. I used Cortrans (407) 446-3896 or email them at http://www.cortrans-shuttle.com and you can fill out the info on their site. They were very good and $40 round trip once you board the bus.

Edited by Plum Happy

Can you fly in the day before instead? If not, get there early in the day in case there are any problems with the airline. So wait for Southwest or Jetblue to release their schedule.

Also, get insurance just in case you do not make it to the ship in time.

Well I am asking if arriving this late will be too risky, I'm just not asking for the sidenote about the airline ;) I feel as though this is too late, and I plan on waiting it out until Southwest and jetBlue release their schedules but I am curious as to what those who have done this think.

That's a good point, I will have to see if carnival even runs transfers after noon. Thank you!

I took the comment on the airline as relating to its on-time arrival rate. A rate that I believe is under 70%.

Given travel time between MCO and Port Canaveral I would not want to risk it. But then I am risk adverse when it comes to cruise departures and would fly in day before regardless of airline. Especially in winter months.

Arrivals into Orlando are allowed until 1:30pm for Carnival transfers to Port Canaveral. That is NOT the time of the last bus, but is the latest your flight can be scheduled to arrive and you be able to use the Carnival transfer. I have learned that Orlando airport is not to be trifled with. I arrived once at 9:50 and made it to the ship 5 minutes before they closed the doors. I arrived at the airport 3 hours before my flight and missed my flight by 30 minutes. Problems at that airport turn ugly fast. Obviously, most of the time it is just fine.

My opinion, if you want to arrive at 11:55, use the Carnival transfer. That will make it much safer to arrive at that time, even if your flight runs late.

Edited by Davey Wavey

I would have a complete panic attack even thinking about us trying this,:D but then again, we are cruisers who always fly in the day before just to avoid the stress. :)

Yes, I feel this is way too risky, but if you do go this route, I would definitely book Carnival transportation if you can. I also recommend trip insurance because there is always a chance that your flight may get delayed and if that happens, you may miss the ship. :(

Didn't ask for your opinion on the airline, I asked for your opinion on the time that the flight came in.

Spirit airlines has the worst on time record in the industry. I think that is what the poster was trying to convey.

Yes, this flight is way too risky.

Chances are really good that you'll miss the cut off for embarkation.

Didn't ask for your opinion on the airline, I asked for your opinion on the time that the flight came in.

No need to be snarky. loubetti was just trying to be helpful. The choice of airline (Spirit) is relevant because they have a lot of complaints and their on-time record appears to be one of them.

Oh yes, it seems very risky to me, even if the flight arrives on time.

Edited by Orlando Vic

It is a risky flight. But barring any delays you should be o.k. I would consider an earlier flight, non stop. As the previous post says, it will take you a half hour to 45 minutes to get off the plane, go to the luggage retrival area and then find your transportation.With another 45+ minute drive to PC. With that late of an arrival, I definatly would use the Carnival transfer. If you are on the bus and it gets delayed they will wait for you. One thing though, MCO is unpedictable. We flew in from San Juan last night and everything went smoothly. Took about half an hour from plane to shuttle pickup. Good luck, have a great cruise.

OP. Don't do it. First of all because it's Spirit, and they are one of the LOWEST rated airlines.

Secondly, regardless of their reputation, ANYTHING could go wrong, ie; mechanical issues, weather, etc.

I really would try to fly in the day before or night before. Or wait for Southwest and Jet Blue and get a 6am flight.

Best of luck.....:D

I'd definitely wait for the Southwest schedule, which will be out Feb 18th for travel through the first week of November. Not only are they more reliable and friendly, but they are bound to have a flight that will get you in well before 11:55am. If everything was perfect, you'd make it - but "perfect" is hard to come by in the travel industry these days. I manage the travel department at an event planning company so I deal with travel issues daily :D

Is saving a few extra dollars worth worrying about it from now until your cruise???

Book a safer flight with time to spare for weather and mechanical delays.....because they DO happen on ALL airlines at ALL airports. Just some more than others. :o

Any flight on Spirit is risky, and I am not talking safety either. "Friends don't let friends fly Spirit".

Not true at all! Use primarily Spirit from DTW or CLE with none or very minimum issues.

I'm talking 2 flights a year for the last 10-12 years.

Not true at all! Use primarily Spirit from DTW or CLE with none or very minimum issues.

I'm talking 2 flights a year for the last 10-12 years.

Ugh not me.

I have to keep flying them because they are direct between Myrtle Beach and Fort Lauderdale when I go to see my parents.

They lost my luggage one time on a DIRECT FLIGHT. How does that even happen?

It was about five years ago and to this day, I've gotten nothing from them. Not even a returned phone call.

Glad it is working out for you!