"The Soulmates" on the Silhouette

Sandtrap328

I just got off a very nice Western Caribbean cruise on the Silhouette. Most everything was very good to excellent from food to activities to the crew.

However, one show that was called The Soulmates was hard to believe that Celebrity would have booked it! We arrived at the theater expecting something like Diana Ross from the write-up in the daily program. It was 4 young white guys singing Motown!! Not only did they sing the songs but had all the dance steps as well. Imagine an act where white guys are performing The Jackson's "A, B, C, 1, 2, 3" complete with the dance moves.

What was Celebrity thinking? There are so many very talented African American groups looking for work on cruise ships - but they hire The Soulmates?

Wow! So it was wrong for Stevie Wonder to sing the Beatles. the act was booked because they were good. That they were white or Chinese should not matter today. Racism is looking at people differently because of the color of their skin. Hmmmm . . . .

I agree to a point. Singing their songs is perfectly fine but to resort to imitating the groups such as the dance moves of The Jacksons and The Supremes is borderline racism.

Someone famous once said "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" enough said.

So, the group was good and they sang Motown.....where do you get

being racist from that?:eek::rolleyes::confused:

I agree with the previous poster.......seems to me they sang stuff that is

color blind and is everlasting......

A band of white musicians isn't allowed to cover songs done by Black Americans?

So are bands of black musicians allowed to do covers of songs by white musicians?

On one Princess cruise we had an all Asian band doing covers--should they not have done any songs by musicians who weren't Asian?

(when I say cover, that can include dance moves)

Have you seen Human Nature in Vegas? An all white group doing virtually ALL Motown covers & dance moves. One of the most popular groups in Vegas.

Wow

Methinks the OP's intent was a commentary of the 'possible' lack of ethnic/minorities entertaining on the ship and not quite so much of the genre of songs sung.

I understand how it was written, but do not think it was the intent to comment on the music, just singers/performers overall.

I could be wrong, but that is as I read the post.

bon voyage

I just got off a very nice Western Caribbean cruise on the Silhouette. Most everything was very good to excellent from food to activities to the crew.

However, one show that was called The Soulmates was hard to believe that Celebrity would have booked it! We arrived at the theater expecting something like Diana Ross from the write-up in the daily program. It was 4 young white guys singing Motown!! Not only did they sing the songs but had all the dance steps as well. Imagine an act where white guys are performing The Jackson's "A, B, C, 1, 2, 3" complete with the dance moves.

What was Celebrity thinking? There are so many very talented African American groups looking for work on cruise ships - but they hire The Soulmates?

Is this a joke??

they interacted, and were hired and followed a script you can Blame Celebrity, not the guys for that PEACE

a photo of who you were talking about

DSC01209.jpg

OMG Jayne Currey what a riot she was to your liking I bet.

DSC01673.jpg

Edited by gopro63

they interacted, and were hired and followed a script you can Blame Celebrity, not the guys for that PEACE

a photo of who you were talking about

DSC01209.jpg

OMG Jayne Currey what a riot she was to your liking I bet.

DSC01673.jpg

Jayne Curry is one of the few guest entertainers we've seen that we would actually pay to see.

I do not understand this,

The only folks that seem to be discriminated against these days

are honest hard working European white Americans , or Irish Americans or German Americans, why cannot you all be Just Americans.

I am British, my ancestors came from Ireland and Scotland and maybe, no probably from Saxony, does that make me Irish British, Scottish Brittish or am I Saxon British, got to laugh

I am British, and thank goodness we don't have African British or Jamacan British we are all British.

What would happen if there were African Irish Americans

Edited by swigso

I had no idea there were a lot of talented African American groups looking for cruise ship work. Do you know some personally?

Could you quantify "a lot"? or are you wildly supposing? Could there be one or even none?

My guess is X hires bands offered by agencies who have provided good ones for them in the past- based on talent, professionalism and the desire to work on a cruise ship rather than play locally and I doubt their skin color matters-otherwise you would have an all white crew on each ship which is far from the case. 80 nationalities on board the Silhouette the Captain said.

I saw two great comedians on the Silly 10 days ago-both African American.

Racism is a word that flows off so many lips-before the author thinks it through.

Norris

I can't believe you said that......there is nothing wrong with white singers doing Motown...any more than black singers covering songs originally by white singers. What makes you think these performers are not deserving?

I have had enough affirmative action.....If the white group is better THEY should get the work. if the Black group is better they should...The End

that statement is BS, only if they were mocking them...Why can't you look at it as a tribute to a couple of excellent groups?

I agree to a point. Singing their songs is perfectly fine but to resort to imitating the groups such as the dance moves of The Jacksons and The Supremes is borderline racism.

Sounded more like Oh...there are so many poor minorities out there....and they give it to the white boys

Methinks the OP's intent was a commentary of the 'possible' lack of ethnic/minorities entertaining on the ship and not quite so much of the genre of songs sung.

I understand how it was written, but do not think it was the intent to comment on the music, just singers/performers overall.

I could be wrong, but that is as I read the post.

bon voyage

I agree to a point....but you have to admit that the Brits have had their own problems with the Irish for hundreds of years....and discriminated against them.

I do not understand this,

The only folks that seem to be discriminated against these days

are honest hard working European white Americans , or Irish Americans or German Americans, why cannot you all be Just Americans.

I am British, my ancestors came from Ireland and Scotland and maybe, no probably from Saxony, does that make me Irish British, Scottish Brittish or am I Saxon British, got to laugh

I am British, and thank goodness we don't have African British or Jamacan British we are all British.

What would happen if there were African Irish Americans ������

"Jayne Curry is one of the few guest entertainers we've seen that we would actually pay to see."

We walked out...not that she isn't talented, but we just didn't "get it". Not an entertaining show to us, very disjointed--a one woman variety show that didn't work for us.

But we realize we won't like every act presented. It is nice there are options for everyone.

Edited by KKB

"Jayne Curry is one of the few guest entertainers we've seen that we would actually pay to see."

We walked out...not that she isn't talented, but we just didn't "get it". Not an entertaining show to us, very disjointed--a one woman variety show that didn't work for us.

But we realize we won't like every act presented. It is nice there are options for everyone.

Well said. People will never agree on everything and it's nice to get a response that makes a point but doesn't turn people hostile.

My wife and I thought Jayne Curry was excellent! Super sense of humor as well as a tremendous voice.

Just my personal viewpoint here - it is extremely discourteous to walk out of any performance. Even if you totally disliked the performer, bear it out for the 45 minutes!

My wife and I thought Jayne Curry was excellent! Super sense of humor as well as a tremendous voice.

Just my personal viewpoint here - it is extremely discourteous to walk out of any performance. Even if you totally disliked the performer, bear it out for the 45 minutes!

Do what I did twice watching those Celebrity cirque type shows, I fell asleep...

Last summer in Bermuda I was suffering from Sciatic and went to the show. I sat near the back on stools in case I could not make it. Turns out I had to leave, just use common sense.

We were on NCL and they had a very funny comedian who was giving his monologue. Some guy obviously drunk got up, yelled to the comedian "you suck" and walked out. It was not part of the act.

Edited by dkjretired