As a solo passenger Goodbye Princess

kruisey

[quote name='flamomo']It may be just my perception, but it seems like when the current CEO of PCL took over the helm, decent fare deals (supplements of <200%) for solos went away. I used to be able to do TAs in inside, and occasionally OV, cabins for 150-160%,but no more. The ones I have been interested in are a straight 200% from day one, and never a fare decrease during special "sales" for solos or insides and OV, while they are being offered for cabins with 2 pax, and only in balcony or above. She's apparently all about making 'business decisions" that result in upping PCL's bottom line, even if it alienates long term loyal Princess cruisers. Not that we should expect that she cares, because it appears that Princess has no problem filling all the cabins on most cruises.[/QUOTE]

Your perception is the same as my perception. I date a lot of the changes to when the new head of Princess took over. This coming fall will be the first time in five years that I haven't done a B2B European cruise followed by the transatlantic. I'm not going to pay 200% for an inside cabin when I know that other people are getting great deals simply because they're not sailing alone. Especially considering what I see as a real decline in the quality of the Princess product in the last two years. I have loved my transatlantic cruises on the Ruby and the Royal, but this year I will be doing some kind of land vacation instead.

[quote name='flamomo']It may be just my perception, but it seems like when the current CEO of PCL took over the helm, decent fare deals (supplements of <200%) for solos went away. I used to be able to do TAs in inside, and occasionally OV, cabins for 150-160%,but no more. The ones I have been interested in are a straight 200% from day one, and never a fare decrease during special "sales" for solos or insides and OV, while they are being offered for cabins with 2 pax, and only in balcony or above. She's apparently all about making 'business decisions" that result in upping PCL's bottom line, even if it alienates long term loyal Princess cruisers. Not that we should expect that she cares, because it appears that Princess has no problem filling all the cabins on most cruises.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you that changes happened across the board when the current CEO took over and Princess went under the HAL umbrella. HAL has worse deals for solos. I haven't noticed the increase in inside and OV cabins because I usually try to get a balcony which has always been 200%. I think it's more than just solos that have been affected, though. Three years ago I could get a mini suite (solo) for a Hawaii cruise for approximately 4K. The next year I got one for 5K. Now, they're 6K to 7K. They reduced the voyages to Hawaii to make them more in demand and people are paying their price. So, I didn't go on a Hawaii cruise in 2015 and I won't be going in 2016. I have found other good deals, but I have to search for them.

[quote name='KruzPrincess']...Princess...reduced the voyages to Hawaii to make them more in demand and people are paying their price...[/QUOTE]

They also reduced the number of Pacific coastals dramatically, I imagine for the same reason. I had been taking one or two per year, but have no current plans to take another as fares have jumped.

Cunard and Princess always get a decent amount of money out of me as a solo passenger. Surely Princess (or any cruise line for that matter) could tailor make deals for past passengers based on spending habits and other relevant criteria? It cannot be that hard to identify past passenger x as a big onboard spender and to offer him or her a good deal on a cruise being looked at.

As for solo cabins, I cannot think of anything worse. I love having the space of a normal cabin or suite. Holidaying in a shoebox has no appeal to me. It would be interesting to see cruise lines offer solo suites. Not sure what that would look like, but it is worth considering.

Being solo/single can be challenging in a world that overemphasises couples. However, the airline industry is at least leading the way on catering to solos with private suites on planes. There's also the advantage of having a higher likelihood of an upgrade as a single seat is more likely to pop up than a pair of seats.

That offers me some consolation.

[quote name='Austcruiser84']Cunard and Princess always get a decent amount of money out of me as a solo passenger. Surely Princess (or any cruise line for that matter) could tailor make deals for past passengers based on spending habits and other relevant criteria? It cannot be that hard to identify past passenger x as a big onboard spender and to offer him or her a good deal on a cruise being looked at.[/QUOTE]

I know we are being tracked in so many ways with all our electronica, store charges, reward cards, internet habits, etc. , but having my spending habits tracked by princess gives me no comfort. But who am I kidding, they probably do already. :D

Relative has serious illness.
Fall of 2014 I got a very good deal on a Transatlantic Cruise with Princess.
Since that time even the inside cabins are 200% when in the past 175% plus always had great deals on obstructed cabins but no more for solos.
Spend around $1000 usually on onshore excursions with Princess amd buy in the gift shops.Eat for one so Princess saves that way.
Miss those cruises very much.It is a question of principle I am not taking their new pricing practises.
Then Princess will not worry because couples jump at the special cabin prices offered them and fill their ships.
Princess has always attracted a wonderful crowd of passengers plus a great crew.
It is a shame we parted company but it had to be.

[quote name='SoCal Cruiser78']They also reduced the number of Pacific coastals dramatically, I imagine for the same reason. I had been taking one or two per year, but have no current plans to take another as fares have jumped.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Last year, I did a coastal in April for a very good price. I intended to do it again this year, but the deal never materialized. They forced me to save money!

[quote name='RDC1']The biggest reason why they don't discount singles is because singles are an opportunity loss to the cruise line. Cruise lines get around 40% of their revenue from onboard spending. When they use a double cabin to hold a single passenger They lose out on the onboard spending from that second passenger. Using the averages that means approximately a 14% expected reduction in revenue for the cabin, even if they pay full second fare. As such solo passengers are not a positive for a cruise line. A bit different if the cruise line has smaller cabins designed for single cabins.[/QUOTE]

That might be true if all cabins were double occupancy only but there are triples and quads that balance the occupancy out. Most sailings are sold out which is based on the total number passengers in relation to life boats not on single occupancy.

RCL has a perk that may interest you if you cruise enough to get to a certain level. As a solo you get double cruise points so it can add up.

" Single members must have 340 Cruise Points earned in order to receive the single cruise fare at 150%. This offer is based on availability with certain restrictions. Ocean Voyage Package, Holiday sailings (Christmas and New Year) and the months of July and August are not included in this offer." Edited by cruzsnooze

[quote name='kruisey']Relative has serious illness.
Fall of 2014 I got a very good deal on a Transatlantic Cruise with Princess.
Since that time even the inside cabins are 200% when in the past 175% plus always had great deals on obstructed cabins but no more for solos.
Spend around $1000 usually on onshore excursions with Princess amd buy in the gift shops.Eat for one so Princess saves that way.
Miss those cruises very much.It is a question of principle I am not taking their new pricing practises.
Then Princess will not worry because couples jump at the special cabin prices offered them and fill their ships.
Princess has always attracted a wonderful crowd of passengers plus a great crew.
It is a shame we parted company but it had to be.[/QUOTE]

I hope you will come back and let us know what solo cruise deals you find on other cruise lines. I'm serious. I have a hard time finding good deals anywhere.

[quote name='cruzsnooze']That might be true if all cabins were double occupancy only but there are triples and quads that balance the occupancy out. Most sailings are sold out which is based on the total number passengers in relation to life boats not on single occupancy.

RCL has a perk that may interest you if you cruise enough to get to a certain level. As a solo you get double cruise points so it can add up.

" Single members must have 340 Cruise Points earned in order to receive the single cruise fare at 150%. This offer is based on availability with certain restrictions. Ocean Voyage Package, Holiday sailings (Christmas and New Year) and the months of July and August are not included in this offer."[/QUOTE]

Princess will often lower the rate for solo cruisers if there are a lot of children on board and triples and quads in a lot of the cabins. They can only have a certain amount of passengers and there are still a lot of cabins left, so they sell them off to solos. I had this happen last year with an Easter cruise.

Princess does give double points (not days) to solo passengers, but it doesn't equate to discounts. You get to a higher loyalty level and get higher loyalty OBC faster.

[quote name='kruisey']After many discussions with Princess plus the many specials flyers and e-mails everyone one of them with the ' NOT APPLICABLE FOR SINGLES' after 23 voyages I have decided to end my relationship with this cruise line.
If one cannot accept them one quits. My future cruise credits membership of Captains Circle former returned to my credit card.
This is nothing to do with the wonderful times and atmosphere on the ships.The employees and fellow passengers are the very best.:)[/QUOTE]

[I][SIZE="4"]Fair Winds and a following sea with whichever line you choose.....:):):)

Bob[/SIZE][/I] Edited by Woobstr112G

[quote name='flamomo']It may be just my perception, but it seems like when the current CEO of PCL took over the helm, decent fare deals (supplements of <200%) for solos went away. I used to be able to do TAs in inside, and occasionally OV, cabins for 150-160%,but no more. The ones I have been interested in are a straight 200% from day one, and never a fare decrease during special "sales" for solos or insides and OV, while they are being offered for cabins with 2 pax, and only in balcony or above. She's apparently all about making 'business decisions" that result in upping PCL's bottom cabins on most cruises.[/QUOTE]. She is doing her job well, unlike Marissa Mayer at Yahoo.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

[quote name='cruiselvr1']. She is doing her job well, unlike Marissa Mayer at Yahoo.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app[/QUOTE]

It would only be fair to let the solo passenger have the special rate on cabins as a couple.The price of the cabin would be even for everyone.The solo would pay the exact price that a cabin occupied by two would pay.:)
It is quite obvious not allowing a solo to have this special discount on cabin is to discourage one from booking.Or book and pay the price.
Yes she is doing a good job without showing discrimination of a certain group by actually stating 'Singles ,Solos' banned.

I'm a solo traveller as well and I was so happy when NCL introduced their Studio cabins just for SoloTravellers with no surcharge.
I did that so far 4 times and it was great. There is a StudioLoungs/Living room to gather with other Solotravellers. There is hosted gathering each evening around 6pm when Dinners etc are organized. I met so many People that I still have contact with.
Try it out. NCL is not a bad cruise line, though I can't compare to Princess as I never cruised with them before

[quote name='cruisejunkie76']I'm a solo traveller as well and I was so happy when NCL introduced their Studio cabins just for SoloTravellers with no surcharge.
I did that so far 4 times and it was great. There is a StudioLoungs/Living room to gather with other Solotravellers. There is hosted gathering each evening around 6pm when Dinners etc are organized. I met so many People that I still have contact with.
Try it out. NCL is not a bad cruise line, though I can't compare to Princess as I never cruised with them before[/QUOTE]
When things are settled regarding close relatives sickness I will be looking around.
Thank you everyone for your ideas and good wishes.Really appreciated.:)

[quote name='cruisejunkie76']I'm a solo traveller as well and I was so happy when NCL introduced their Studio cabins just for SoloTravellers with no surcharge.
Try it out. NCL is not a bad cruise line, though I can't compare to Princess as I never cruised with them before[/quote]

I have traveled on the Studio cabins as well. They are sharp! The only thing I used Lounge for was morning coffee/breads but that may be I was always out and about.

[quote name='RDC1']For main stream cruise lines it does matter because they get around 40% of their revenue from onboard sales. So if you have two people each spending 40% of their fare onboard you get a cabin revenue number 1X + .4X + 1X +.4X =2.8X where X is the fare. With A single in a cabin, even if they pay twice the fare, does not generate the same level of on board spend. Even if the individual hit the per individual spend the revenue for that cabin would be 2X + .4X = 2.4X. A reduction in revenue of .4X or around 14% lower.

Now an individual might say that they buy all of the excursions and drink like a fish and make up that spend, but to a business the pricing model is built on averages not individuals.

If you find a main stream line willing to give singles a break in a double cabin then by all means take advantage of it, but also keep in mind that they are certainly going out of their way to do so and are doing so at a cost to them.[/quote]

Is it 40% of [U]revenue[/U] from onboard sales, or an additional 40% of [U]cruise fare [/U](as your calculation suggests)? There's a big difference.

I just wait for a good sale and then book as a single so the rate becomes cheaper - booked out of Houston in a mini-suite on a sale for $799 PP so about $1600 which is not bad for such a room on a 7 day cruise - that's how you get a single supplement these days book when the price goes rock bottom - have to be a little more flexible but that's ok for me!

I just booked a mini suite as a single. I would love it if I didn't have to pay double but realize they would get the same amount if they had two in the cabin. Perhaps they could offer it for 75% as there is one person to feed.
I kept watching the availability and ended up getting a 15 day Hawaii for around $3700 and the was an MA category. Interesting that it is cheaper than booking in US dollars.
I have not seen any of the NOT FOR SINGLES .