18% Gratuities Concern

FranknBeans

When a company makes a claim ("gratuity / service charge") it seems more than reasonable to ask for details. I trust companies exactly as much as they trust me . . . not at all.

If a company feels that their business would loose competitive advantage by letting customers know how these fees are split between employees and profit, I would suggest they are in the wrong business. I would be beyond surprised if every other cruise line was not intimately aware of how these sorts of fees are split. No, it is much more likely that the company is withholding this information because if suspects customers might object to the details.

Do you go to dinner and ask the waiter how much he makes and how much he tips out the buss staff and hostesses? seriously this is all NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS. If the crew feels under paid they will look elsewhere for work. Jesus people get a freaking life!

Do you go to dinner and ask the waiter how much he makes and how much he tips out the buss staff and hostesses? seriously this is all NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS. If the crew feels under paid they will look elsewhere for work. Jesus people get a freaking life!

I'm only bothered when management takes a cut that they don't deserve.

Where my money might go is my business. To suggest otherwise is silly. If I have a concern about where it might go I believe it is perfectly legitimate to ask. I don't demand answers, but not receiving one would suggest to me that I might be better off going elsewhere.

Not sure why it is such a big deal to you.

I do believe that you have an overly simplistic view of the world labor market. In 2013 the worldwide unemployment rate was estimated to be around 8.3%. Even you should see that simply going out and getting a better paying job is unlikely. Especially when one is confined to a ship & its itinerary for months at a time.

I do believe that you have an overly simplistic view of the world labor market. In 2013 the worldwide unemployment rate was estimated to be around 8.3%. Even you should see that simply going out and getting a better paying job is unlikely. Especially when one is confined to a ship & its itinerary for months at a time.

Good. Then there is no reason not to squeeze more from these workers to improve the company bottom line. When raising prices to improve profit is not an option, cutting at the bottom is obviously the preferred choice to achieve the desired financial result.

Wow, Cathy...you were much nicer in person.

Stephen I am nice but it's also true that people are given information that is requested to stay offline, that's the point I was trying to make. I am sorry if my comment came out nasty but you should also understand that your comment came out very condescending.

Stephen I am nice but it's also true that people are given information that is requested to stay offline, that's the point I was trying to make. I am sorry if my comment came out nasty but you should also understand that your comment came out very condescending.

Truce. I was just surprised at the tone, and didn't realize the point you were trying to make.

• 3 weeks later...
Never ceases to amaze how fixated some are on what others earn and tipping.

But hey that's probably just me.

Its the reason why I avoid these sort of people on cruises. I suspect that they are generally the sort of people who have a life off cruising which doesn't match what they portray whilst on vacation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've read this thread and I guess I am even more confused. I've never sailed on NCL before.

So if I buy or get the beverage package for free - I must pay the 18% gratuity/service charge at time of package "purchase". But we are unsure how much of that goes to the bartenders. Right? That is what is being argued?? So if I get a drink on the ship, do they charge a different gratuity at that time? If not, how much should I tip the bartender?? Let's say I normally tip people 20%. So at the time I get a drink I should give 2% (if we think the bartender is getting the full 18% from time of purchase of package) or maybe I should give 10% (if we think the bartender is getting approx. 10% of the 18%)?? Ack! It is hard to know what to tip at the time of getting my drink.

If I do NOT get the package and pay for drinks one at a time, do they charge the 18% gratuity/service charge at that time? Then I guess the same questions are in play. Should I give an extra 2% or 10% or 20% (assuming the bartender doesn't get ANY of the service charge).

Maggie

Edited by maggieworkman

I've read this thread and I guess I am even more confused. I've never sailed on NCL before.

So if I buy or get the beverage package for free - I must pay the 18% gratuity/service charge at time of package "purchase". But we are unsure how much of that goes to the bartenders. Right? That is what is being argued?? So if I get a drink on the ship, do they charge a different gratuity at that time? If not, how much should I tip the bartender?? Let's say I normally tip people 20%. So at the time I get a drink I should give 2% (if we think the bartender is getting the full 18% from time of purchase of package) or maybe I should give 10% (if we think the bartender is getting approx. 10% of the 18%)?? Ack! It is hard to know what to tip at the time of getting my drink.

If I do NOT get the package and pay for drinks one at a time, do they charge the 18% gratuity/service charge at that time? Then I guess the same questions are in play. Should I give an extra 2% or 10% or 20% (assuming the bartender doesn't get ANY of the service charge).

Maggie

When you get the package "free", they do tack on the service charge to the price of the cruise. For a 7 day cruise, it does come up to $173 or something like that. We do still tip in cash for drinks. We usually give about $1 per drink or two & the crew always seems very happy with that amount.

Lol I'm pricing the ba to Bermuda and the "free" drink package is costing is around $173 per person

We won't have a bar bill anywhere near $346 for the 2 of us no matter how hard we try

If we have a bar bill of $150 it will be a lot.

We don't want the sdp either as we don't want to be tied to ressies

So we are taking the excursion credit of $150. We will do a snorkel catamaran.

No tips added on for the excursion credit either lol

And not to worry we will give the catamaran snorkel crew a tip...thrown into the top box as we leave the excursion.

Edited by luvtheships