Opinions about getting hair cut/colored on board

Coastalbreezes

I get enough angst at home when I have to change beauticians for some reason. No way would I pay premium $$ to risk getting a bad cut/color on my vacation!

And besides, who wants to sit in a salon when you could be enjoying vacation. Is there some reason your usual trusted professional can't take care of this before vacation?

I wouldn't do it!

The worst that would happen is you don't like it, and it is, after all, only hair and will grow back.

BUT what if you LOVE it? It's not like you can go back to the same stylist every 6 weeks (though wouldn't it be nice if you could? :D)

I get enough angst at home when I have to change beauticians for some reason. No way would I pay premium $$ to risk getting a bad cut/color on my vacation!

And besides, who wants to sit in a salon when you could be enjoying vacation. Is there some reason your usual trusted professional can't take care of this before vacation?

This ^^

There is no way a stylist will have the time to get to know you, in terms of what you like with your hair styling, or even color.

(Also, although this may seem harsh, a stylist on a ship isn't likely to try hard to "keep your business", the way someone at home would.)

On our last cruise, I had my hair blown dry twice (due to a torn rotator cuff, which makes washing my hair a painful chore just now).

The first time, I was pleasantly surprised. It looked great.

The second time (not much had changed in terms of my hair, in less than a week)...? It was flyaway all over. And no curl or wave whatsoever.

It was one of the worst blow dries I have *ever* had.

The first stylist was at the next station (he was booked, or I'd have gone back), and I could see the look on his face when I was done.

But a blow dry isn't permanent.

My son and I both got haircuts and beard trims on the Escape last November and were very happy with the service and the results. Now, those are both less complex services than a woman's cut and color. I asked my wife if she would do it and said absolutely if the urge struck her while on board. She said she could always get it redone when she got back home if she didn't like the results.

Hi,

I agree with Punkincc why waste your time on vacation getting a cut and color. If you want to get your hair done to look special for an evening fine. But other than that I would much rather enjoy the other parts of the ship and the activities going on. Get everything done before you leave and then just have fun!

happytotravel

I'm nervous enough when I go to the hair salon I always use and the same stylist I always use whenever I want to change something drastic in regard to my hair. Yet alone a new salon and a stylist I've never used before?

Not for all the money in the world would I do it. Not to even mention all my time 'wasted ' sitting in the salon chair while on vacation.

Harriet

::okay, I can be bought....depending on how much all the money in the world was - hair can grow back and there is more black dye to bring it back to what it was LOL::

Harriet

Edited by hpecorari

Thanks for all the replies.

My regular stylist is on vacation and I booked a cruise yesterday leaving this Sunday :eek: so I don't have time to get my hair done before I leave. It was just a thought that I could have had it done on board (if the majority of replies were positive) but I think I'll just wait until I return!

Tracy

I have had my hair colored twice on a princess ship, and been very satisfied both times.

Cut? no way.....and the one time I had a blow-out finish I was very unhappy, because she styled my hair according to what SHE wanted, and not what was good for me.

Not to even mention all my time 'wasted ' sitting in the salon chair while on vacation.

Hi,

I agree with Punkincc why waste your time on vacation getting a cut and color.

Oh but the view the salon has...

IMG_0016.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

I am surprised by all the negative comments. I have read more reviews that state that the haircuts on board have been excellent. Coka springs to mind as having had a really good stylist.

I've had my hair cut and colored on board ships for 18 years. My best haircuts have been on the ships. They are also cheaper than my local stylists. Some are better than others but all have been better than my local stylists. I've yet to find a local stylists that I've liked after 3 visits.

My hair is shoulder length and I highlight my hair. I might feel differently if I had shorter hair.

Oh but the view the salon has...

IMG_0016.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

I am surprised by all the negative comments. I have read more reviews that state that the haircuts on board have been excellent. Coka springs to mind as having had a really good stylist.

I'm thinking about having my hair cut and also doing some highlights at the salon. Price aside, I'm looking for opinions based on your experience.

Were you happy or dissatisfied with the cut and/or color you received?

Thanks,

Tracy

For me, getting my hair cut on a cruise ship is part of my vacation experience. I love it because I feel the stylists in my home state do not have enough training. When not cruising, I go to Montreal to get my hair cut and colored...or I do it myself! I do admit to doing doing a little homework on board before I book an appointment. I ask who cuts the Captain's hair...I ask the female staff who they think gives the better haircuts...I usually select the male stylist...and I sneak peaks through the window how they are working with other passenger's hair. My final test question is how long they have been cutting hair and if they know how to thin hair with just a pair of hair scissors and not the crimper things that I dislike.

I have had my hair colored a few times and I find their brand to be less harsh than other salon products. I think they have to be...so I thought it very gentle.

Some disclaimers: I do not have time in my daily life to spend three hours in a salon...so I love love love it when I do on vacation. Also...according to my sisters (who tell the truth)...my hair looks great when I wake up in the morning...so I think I am overall lucky. Lastly, my hair grows back fast and I have good self esteem. But overall....I have loved loved loved 99% of my hair cuts on cruise ships and 100% of the colorings!

My last hair cut on land was in Montreal...and I am thinking my next hair cut on land will be at Walmart...I hear they do it for 15 bucks? :D

coka

I was on the Jewel last month and got a haircut and a keratin treatment. I loved it! The stylist took plenty of time and did a really nice job! I could watch whales out the window as we approached Cabo. My hair was very easy the rest of the trip. The price was comparable or even a little less than I could get it at home. But I got a discount because I attended a hair presentation. I would recommend the services I got.

I'm thinking about having my hair cut and also doing some highlights at the salon. Price aside, I'm looking for opinions based on your experience.

Thanks,

Tracy

No way !!!

I always bring my personal barber with me whenever I travel and have never had a problem with her cutting my hair or trimming my beard on board. :D

She has done it for 50 years!! Yes it is our Golden Wedding year. :cool:

Mike

Love your response! Happy Anniversary!

Tracy

Thanks,

Tracy

You're going to change your beautiful natural colour?

Stephen

:p

OK, while I said I wouldn't do it, initially, I realize that it really wouldn't be a bad idea if you want a trim of a simple cut and a normal coloring, simple highlights, etc.

I've been having my hair cut and colored by the same person for some time now, and I still get nervous. My hair is very fine and there's not a whole lot of it, so the cut, even a trim, is pretty critical. Also, I have purple, a specially blended color, underneath the platinum (which is close to my current natural blonde and white color). So I daren't change salons. I don't mind using a different stylist in the same salon (mine was on maternity leave for a while) because they all consult with the owner with any question and they're really good about being modest with trims.

So, anyway, while I, personally, wouldn't do any more than maybe a styling, blowout or something like that, I can see where it could be a treat for someone not in my same hairy situation.