Celebrity summit review 23 jan 2016

ladybrockett

I am enjoying reading your comments. I was on a b2b starting Jan. 16. Cruise was very nice. I especially enjoyed sailing out of San Juan instead of Florida. In San Juan, weather is always hot. Sailing out of Florida can be quite cool until you get further south. Last year I sailed on the Eclipse out of Miami for 14 nights. It was a very good cruise with a few cooler days at sea. Unfortunately, the Summit is not doing the same type of cruises next winter. There was some talk about the Summit being chartered out next winter.

Thanks for taking the time to post your review. We are on the same itinerary on 2 April so are very interested to read your report.

We are also flying Norwegian from Gatters. Are they as bad as some reviewers would have us believe? What was the legroom like? Would you fly Norwegian long haul again?

Looking forward to your next instalment...

Yes it was as good any long haul can be!! Legroom was fine. All seast had entertainment console which had loads of films to watch- but bring your own headphones as they charge for these. You could order snacks from them by swiping your credit card, which which was very convenient but pricey. £3.50 for a can of coke!!

But yes i would def use them again.

DAY 1

Our only day at sea. Which is why we choose this itinerary as we prefer to have port days and are not huge fans of sea days. Too many people in a confined space for us.

I was up early so watched from the top deck as other early risers complete the cardinal sin*of reserving the best sunbeds. (well there were a lot of Germans on board) So I thought if you can’t beat them then join them and set down a couple of towels and a book.

As we had plenty of time we went to the MDR for breakfast and were shown a table for two. Service was quite slow but if you are in a hurry you can go to the Oceanview with the masses and we weren’t so were happy to be patient. After finishing a good breakfast and coffee we noticed a galley tour was starting in the lower MDR which we decided to join. Unfortunately, we were virtually last in so were assigned number 14. Some late comers arrived and J was fuming as they jumped the queue and when in with the 7,s. ( patients my dear we are on holiday) So a long wait was endured by the time we proceeded down into the galley to see how all the food is prepared. It does make you realize the amount of work that goes into feeding over 2500 passengers a day and we appreciated being on deck rather than working below.

On returning to our sunbeds at least 3 hours later ( tut,tut) we did have a warning note saying we should not reserve them(I put it on the bed next door….) but everything was still there.

Spend the rest of the day soaking up the sun with the odd dip in the saltwater pool.

One thing I did notice was the lack of mobility scooters (really old people!!) on board. It must make a difference sailing out of San Juan and not anywhere in Florida. They were also very few children on board -hurrah. Not that I mind kids, but I couldn’t eat a whole one ;)

I would say the average age was 60 ish. So we felt quite young!

Our first chic night of the cruise. What would people be wearing, long or short and that’s just the men!!! I put on a smart suit with no tie but a jazzy shirt. J looked gorgeous as usual x

We wondered down to deck 4 in anticipation to see if we where dressed as our fellow passengers. Several tuxs where worn among the gents but they where defiantly in the minority, most in jackets with or without a tie. As for the ladies they all looked lovely but very few long dresses. Can’t say I saw any designer Jeans at all, thank goodness!

Had pre-dinner drinks at the Martini Bar which has to be our favorite drinking place on the ship. The bar tenders were really pushing for us to buy the drinks package but I held my nerve and declined. My cynical thoughts are they push them for only one reason (more money for Celebrity) It can be noisy at the bar at this time but we love the atmosphere and the Lemon drop martinis are to die for. Service was good with only a small wait to be served.

Were pleased to see at dinner a full table so more conversation was had. Turned out that one couple had been to Normandie on the first night and the other couple were on a table with no shows so had been assigned to ours. Later that evening we went to the late comedy show with Rich Aronovitch at the theatre which was was very good. Didn’t quite get all the jokes as they were largely for a USA audience but still enjoyed it thoroughly.

Were once again woken by loud noises in the night. Grrrrrr

Tomorrow, our first port of call ,Barbados and yes we can get off the ship!

Edited by ladybrockett

Yes it was as good any long haul can be!! Legroom was fine. All seast had entertainment console which had loads of films to watch- but bring your own headphones as they charge for these. You could order snacks from them by swiping your credit card, which which was very convenient but pricey. £3.50 for a can of coke!!

But yes i would def use them again.

That's reassuring to know. Thanks for the update. We realised that snacks would be expensive and we're planning to take a bag of goodies to see us through. Can I ask, did you just get one meal in each direction? Our last few trips across the pond have included lunch and tea going out and dinner and breakfast on the return.

That's reassuring to know. Thanks for the update. We realised that snacks would be expensive and we're planning to take a bag of goodies to see us through. Can I ask, did you just get one meal in each direction? Our last few trips across the pond have included lunch and tea going out and dinner and breakfast on the return.

We had a hot lunch .Chicken or beef.....:)

And a sandwich before we landed. The food wasn't half bad for plane food to be honest.

We're on Summit out of SJ March 19th. I believe you are on one of the final cruises before the major drydock (thus Normandie is still there). I understand the first cruise after drydock is a charter which is good as all the little unfinished things and "oopses" can be resolved while the ship is full of nudists or whatever and not regular cruisers. I guess I shall be posting after I get home as to how the shiny, updated Summit turns out.

DAY 2 BARBADOS

We where woken at 8am and every other morning by the captain making announcement saying we had docked and sending us thoughts of peace and love!! Seriously. We were not pleased as we wanted a sleep in. It reminded me of Butlins (a British holiday camp in the 70`s- Hi de hi) Is there a way to stop this? Never noticed this so much before on other ships or was I sleeping through?

I checked our statement on the tv and saw we where under our drinks budget, even though J had sneaked a coffee at the Cafe al Bacio!! I was more consciences and used the coffee machine in the Aqua spa café. Not so good I’m sure but free….

While I’m on this subject why can you never get a good cup of tea on a cruise? I know the answer really, using hot but not boiling water. Any Brit knows that!

We have been to Barbados before and loved it so after breakfast in the Café we decided to go to a beach. We had been recommended by a fellow passenger to go to Accra beach as it would be quieter than Carlisle Bay and so it turned out. The taxi took us to the far end of the beach to Tikki Bar. Here you paid $30 for your beds and umbrella but you do get it back in credit at the bar. We had lunch and a couple of cocktails so it was well worth it. The sea and beach which was not crowded, was beautiful with good waves to enjoy with several people bogie boarding, which is far too energetic for us.

Took a taxi back at 4pm and J went for a snooze due mainly to lunch time rum-cocktail drinking. I stayed on pool deck in a whirl pool and listened to the house band who were very good while chatting to fellow guests. It’s always a good place for a chat as you are in such a confined space.

Before dinner we walked to the Theatre for an Imagic show staring the magician Adan Heppenstall, another fellow brit so could understand him. It was a great show especially the card tricks even though his viewing video camera was playing up, and how does he saw the girl in half?

Once again we had dinner in the MDR. Being a well brought up English man I thought I should try to teach the 6 Americans on our table some table manners. Knife in one hand and fork in the other rather than cutting it up then shoveling it in with the same hand!!!I Hope it was taken in the light heated manner in which it was intended??*

Food was once again good and I had the chef recommendation roast veal. After dinner we returned to the theatre to see the Newlywed, not so newlywed show. This consists of three couples who are at varying length of marriage. Strange that they all looked similar ages 60+ but I have to say it was great fun even though J said we could have gone on stage and won (I doubt it very much) We even had enough energy to go to the Revelations lounge located at the top of the ship to the late night disco. There were not many people about on this night or any other night. The Summit is definitely not a late night party ship.*

Tomorrow off to St Lucia. Home to last years hilarious boat tour!!!****

Before dinner we walked to the Theatre for an Imagic show staring the magician Adan Heppenstall, another fellow brit so could understand him. It was a great show especially the card tricks even though his viewing video camera was playing up, and how does he saw the girl in half?

Sawing her in half is the easy part. It's putting her back together that gets tricky.

DAY 3 ST LUCIA

Thoughts about are stateroom before I go any further- well I do have a page to fill.

Inside cabin as I said before. Decor is ok and it looked clean and tidy. But there was a large gorge in one of the side walls, which had bee nicely repaired with gaffer tape!! Nice big mirror over head of bed, so you can see you waste expand once the cruise progresses!! Among other things ;))

Bathroom was pretty standard but was a bit tired looking around the edges. (bit of rust and dodgy sealant) You notice these things when you are sitting there passing the time! There was a curtain around a cubicle shower, not a fan but no room for a glass screen i surpose. Pressure was good with loads of hot water.

Our stateroom attendant was called George and he was great. He cleaned the room twice a day and always gave us fresh towels.

Also had a chocolate placed on our bed at turndown, as if we needed more calories !!

We have been to St Lucia once before and were disappointed with the quality of the beaches, but not the rum fueled boat trip!! …. But that’s another story.

Hence we took a recommendation to go the beach at Pigeon Island. Why is it called an island? I saw no bridge.

We arrived by taxi and were once again surprised by the poor beach. It was very busy with a line of sunbeds and too many people. Sandals had the best part of the beach next door and even though you are allowed to walk on it the amenities are all for hotel guests. On our beach there were a couple of small bars which we had a drink and J was pleased to find free Wi Fi so she could catch up on emails and important stuff like Facebook etc. The weather was showery so we stayed here until it brightened up and several people left so there were some free beds. We negotiated a knocked down price for these and then had a couple of hrs. sunbathing and chatting to the couple next door about the British P & O ship in the port next to Summit which we had*nearly booked to go on. Might consider this next year?

On returning to the ship we had afternoon tea in the Oceanview in the outside dining area at the rear of the ship. This became a habit for the rest of the cruise as it fitted in well with our late dinner sitting and it saved us buying lunch out.

We both managed to get changed in time to see the Sirens show at 7 pm in the theatre. As taken from Celebrity today.

” Come down to the deep…to a nightclub you`ll never forget! Three stunning mermaids host a spectacular mix of burlesque fantasy and spectacular entertainment in a Broadway style musical show.”

We were glad we did as it was an excellent production and they where stunning !! In fact, we enjoyed all the entertainment in the theatre and would rate it the best we have seen on a cruise ship.

Once again we had dinner in the MDR and then decided we would see the movie under the stars at the rear of the ship. It was set out nicely with laid back chairs and blankets to keep you warm in the cool evening. The film was called the Experimenter. What a let-down, we couldn’t figure the story out and left half way though along with the other 6 people who had decided to watch it. Big disappointment, whoever chose this film made a big mistake.

Still loud noises in the early hours - very disturbing of our sleep.

Tomorrow. The beautiful island of Antigua where they understand the rules of cricket!

Was considering Pigeon Island on our next trip in November but not so much now after your review. Can you give a review about the Rum filled boat tour ??

I would not do beaches in San Lucia again. Go see the Pitons, zip wiring or a boat trip. Its a beautiful island but in my options there are far better beaches elsewhere.

The Boat trip was a couple of years ago off the Eclipse. It was more luck than judgement as a group of us,who had met at the Martini Bar just got a cheap boat excursion at the port. The girl where not happy when they saw the size of the boat but we set of towards the Pitons. The more the punch flowed the more fun we had, stopped of at a small beach(nothing special) apart from the size of the joints we where offered and declined!!!! and then we made our way back. We still talk about it today. Its not the expense but the people you share it with....

Was considering Pigeon Island on our next trip in November but not so much now after your review. Can you give a review about the Rum filled boat tour ??

We did a boat, beach, and land tour with Spencer Ambrose and it was great. They had a cooler on the speedboat for beers, stopped a while at Jalouise beach (with rum punch included) and then a land tour that showed the interior of the island too. This was probably one of my top 3 excursions for me from all my time in the Caribbean.

DAY 4 ANTIGUA

First thing in the morning we called in to guest services regarding the ongoing noises and were told to ring when it happened again. Not easy when it was in the small hrs…… but said we would do so.

Antigua is definitely one of our favorite islands. After getting off the ship following a late breakfast at the back of the ship, we walked in to the town.

There were taxi drivers everywhere trying to get your business. In fact, they were a bit of a pain which I think was a consequence of only having one or two ships in port. After taking a short walk around the port area we were persuaded with another couple to go to Dickenson’s bay. And what a choice it was, white sand, blue sea and not too many people. My idea of heaven… While on the beach I persuaded J to rent a jet ski with me. $45 for 30 mins. After 15 mins J had had enough of getting sprayed with water so I dropped her off and then had the remaining time by myself. Thoroughly enjoyed being a big kid and roaring about on the deep blue sea. After all this we enjoyed a couple of rum punches with some fellow shipmates at the friendly bar which rounded off a super afternoon before getting a last minute taxi back with them.

Once again we managed to see the 7pm show which was a tribute to Frankie Vallie called the Unexpected boys which was another great show. They could certainly hit the high notes.**

For a change of scenery, or was it to avoid our table mates ;) we decided to try the Normandie specialty restaurant which J had booked earlier during the day for $40 each. (should normally be $50pp but J knocked them down) I have to say this was well worth it even at that price!.Cant remember the starter but J had lobster cooked at the table and I had the lamb which was delicious. This was followed by strawberry crepe and cheese and biscuits which were washed down with some excellent wine and port. Remarkably my only glass of wine on the cruise....No drinks package as if you had forgotten?

Due to taking our time over the meal and getting our money’s worth, we were late out of the restaurant and missed the Majority rules game show taking place at 10.15pm. I have been involved in this before on RC and it can be a great show.

There was a Motown music/show later at*Revelations featuring The Stars of Summit which we managed to catch*and this was excellent. We both put on our dancing shoes to round off a fantastic day. The dance floor was empty by midnight but we were shattered by then so off to bed.

As requested in the middle of the night when we were woken, we called guest services to complain about the crashing sound and we were told they would look into it…..(and so they did at 4am!!!)

Tomorrow. The conclusion of the banging saga.

DAY 5 St MARTIN

Decided we would take a boat trip today, so once off the ship we headed off the ship to the information desk at the port. Really helpful here by the way. They recommended a company, Bubbles I think, who they rang and arranged a meeting point for us. After a short wait during which time J was able to use their free wifi to check on urgent matters eg facebook... we were taken to the boat. We were surprised to find there were only 8 fellow passengers on board considering there were 6 cruise ships in port. We were quite pleased as there was plenty of room to move about. We sailed for about 15 mins along the coast to a bay that I cannot recall the name but they claimed it was where the Dutch Royal Family holiday. Here we were giving a safety briefing and snorkeling equipment and then jumped in the water. Although the visibility was not good we managed to see several fish as the guide gave us some bread to feed them. In about 30 mins we were back on board and off to our next stop. Here we anchored about 50 meters off the beach and had to swim ashore. Thankfully a fellow passenger had some zip bags so we could take our money with us and so aided by flotation devices we managed to get to the beach. It was ok for us but if you were not a confident swimmer you would probably do better to stay on the boat. After about 90 mins and a beer at the bar (well it made a change from rum!) we made our way back to the vessel which due to the large waves was not altogether an easy task. Once safely on board the boat carried on passing the airport beach for want of a better word while watching the planes coming in frighteningly low. As the boat took us back to our ship they persuaded each of the ladies to take a turn in steering, J’s cowboy hat flew out to sea during her turn however they gamely retrieved it for her.

All in all a good trip and I would recommend them.

When we returned to the cabin I was pleased to see we had a message saying that we could move staterooms due to the noise issue.6135 was offered to us so I went on a scouting mission to see whereabouts this was located. J was glad when I returned and informed her it was a mini suite with a balcony, something she had been yearning for after 5 days in our dark prison like cabin. So we promptly packed which took at least an hour. Why did we bring so much stuff? Our attendant took our luggage and we soon settled in our new room only if it was for two nights…..

The new cabin was very spacious and had a large balcony. We both agreed we would defiantly have a balcony on our next cruise. So we will be saving the pennies when we return home.

After dinner in the MDR once again we went to see the Liars Club show in the Theatre, where 3 of the staff give the correct meaning for an obscure word. Very few guests were in the audience but this did not detract from a fun and enjoyable evening. I loved it when the English entertainments guy had to fit into the tights or panty hose as they called it. My type of humour!

Tomorrow, our last day on the ship .booooo……….

Did you ever find out what was causing the banging?

No we didn't.We just thought it was a one off and maybe coming from next door. It was so loud it virtually shook the room but after it kept happening night after night is must have been people working behind our room somewhere. We should have complained earlier but whatever you do DO NOT stay in this room!!!! 9055

Edited by ladybrockett
adding

DAY 6 ST THOMAS

Awoke to sunlight coming through our window for the first time on the cruise and waited for breakfast to be delivered which we had pre ordered the night before. It was great to sit on our balcony and eat while watching the boats in the harbour. Only trouble I find is that the cooked food is always cold by the time you get to it. But hey ho it beats the scrum in the café.

After departing the ship we were talked into doing an island tour by a guide. $22 each if I recall. We were the first two he had collared so we waited for some more suckers. After 10 mins he had only persuaded two more so off we went in his large open sided vehicle, just the four off us. We certainly had plenty of room. We made 3 stops at various viewing point around the island, all located near souvenir stalls or tat shops as we call them. Saying that the views were great and we resisted buying anything apart from, guess what a rum punch. Wow it was strong but we were on holiday.

We were thinking of going to Megans bay but we were advised to go to Emerald beach and our driver said he would drop us off on the way back. He even took us though the hotel and checked we were ok with it. YES oh sure, what a beach!! Soft sand, blue sea and not too many tourists. We took a sunbed and as a bonus no one came up to us to charge us. After having lunch at the Emerald Hotel which consisted of a wrap and diet coke, well I did say the earlier punch was strong… we spent a couple of hrs enjoying our last day. Thoroughly recommend this beach even though it is close to the airport. Grabbed a last minute taxi back to the ship. Word or warning, make sure you take ID with you in St Thomas as the Security Guard at the check point was reluctant to let us through as we didn’t. A credit card sufficed but I nearly had to spend even longer in St Thomas than I had anticipated.

While J packed her stuff for our departure the following day I decided to try out the solarium pool. It was bliss sitting in the whirlpools and under the water shoots with hardly anyone else in there. I just wished I had tried it before but never seemed to have the time.

After another Lemon drop at the Martini bar we went for dinner in the MDR yet again. Even though the food was good in here it did feel rather samey night after night. I don’t think we really clicked with all of our fellow diners. Sorry if you are reading this!! In the future I think we will try anytime dining as this might suit us better.

Back to the Martini after dinner and chatted to some fellow brits we had met earlier on in the week. Hi to you guys from Staffordshire xx They were great fun and we had a lovely last evening on the ship with them, staying up far later than we should have done due to the early start in the morning.

Tomorrow. Will we oversleep? No chance with Captain Alex.