How do you pack your wine when flying?

almendrada

Hi everyone!

We're about to go on our first cruise in 30 days, and we're flying to the port. We're hoping to bring our allotted bottles of wine, but no clue as to the best way to pack it in our luggage.

Wisdom from experienced cruisers would be appreciated!

I wrap the bottles in bubble wrap then place in 2-gallon size plastic bag JIC one breaks. I place it among clothing. Never have had one break yet. When we reach the port, I take the bottles out and place in my carry on. Don't send it in your check in luggage as it may get confiscated.

Hi everyone!

We're about to go on our first cruise in 30 days, and we're flying to the port. We're hoping to bring our allotted bottles of wine, but no clue as to the best way to pack it in our luggage.

Wisdom from experienced cruisers would be appreciated!

We buy wine at a store at the home port the day before our cruises. No dealing with luggage weight, potential broken bottles, etc.

Have a great first cruise!

Edited by stargate fan

We buy wine at a store at the home port the day before our cruises. No dealing with luggage weight, potential broken bottles, etc.

Have a great first cruise!

Thanks!

I'm not sure this will be an option for us. We are flying in to Baltimore the night before the cruise, then relying on hotel shuttles to get us from the airport to the hotel, and then from the hotel to the port. :-/

we have hard side luggage but we still wrap the wine in bubble wrap.

We bring 4 bottles of wine on board the ship

We bring home 6-8 bottles of booze from the cruise since the prices are so cheap

Edited by Vitamin_Sea

I wrap the bottles in bubble wrap then place in 2-gallon size plastic bag JIC one breaks. I place it among clothing. Never have had one break yet. When we reach the port, I take the bottles out and place in my carry on. Don't send it in your check in luggage as it may get confiscated.

Good tips, thanks!

I have these bags called wine mummies. I got them online. They're basically heavy duty bubble wrap with a ziplock seal. I've used them a dozen times and they've kept my wine bottles in one piece.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I went and found these on Amazon. Looks like that is what we will do. Thanks!

I went and found these on Amazon. Looks like that is what we will do. Thanks!

Hi Almendrada

Have you asked or checked online if there is a wine/liquor store near your hotel?

Bottles do break. Even if you have nothing in your luggage that could get ruined. People have complained about damage to their belongings from leaking bottle in the bags of others.

have a great cruise

Hi Almendrada

Have you asked or checked online if there is a wine/liquor store near your hotel?

Bottles do break. Even if you have nothing in your luggage that could get ruined. People have complained about damage to their belongings from leaking bottle in the bags of others.

have a great cruise

Yeah, I have checked online. It looks like there is not much at all near our hotel. We're also getting in late-ish on Saturday, and then boarding on Sunday morning, so unfortunately a booze run will not be feasible.

I certainly don't want to damage anyone else's property, so I will take every precaution to make sure my bottles are secure. Thanks for the reminder!

FWIW and YMMV but I have always simply put the wine in a large zippered plastic bag (just in case), then wrapped it with our clothes - t-shirt, polo shirts, etc. Then I make sure to pack the wine bundle(s) in the center of the suitcase making sure that there is plenty of clothes acting as even more padding between the bundles as well as above and below them. I've done this both with smaller suitcases like our rollaboards (typically only one bottle) which we then obviously have to check as well as larger suitcases. So far, knock wood, never had an issue with breakage.

We've also used the wine mummies to bring back special olive oil and balsamic vinegars. No problems with breakage. On a short inter island flight in Hawaii, we did once have damage to a carry-on from someone who had obviously packed fish in their carry-on!Yuk!

Don't a lot of airports have duty-free liquor stores? We're flying into Barcelona, so I was going to see whether they sold any wine in the airport upon arrival. If not, then, oh well.

I would assume you are flying in at least a day early. There are bodegas that sell wine all over Barcelona, so just pick some up before you head to the port. Any bottle labeled "PDO Reserva" from Rioja, Rias Baixas, or Priorat will be of good quality and enjoyable, and Spanish wine overall reflects some of the best quality to price value in the world.

Buying wine to take into Spain is coals to Newcastle.

Unless you are talking about high-priced vintages that you want for a special occasion on board, just get your wine there in BCN. Many, many excellent Spanish wines available in many retail outlets. Follow Ducklite's advice.

For those that may want to pick up spirits while in BCN, I can HIGHLY recommend this shop:

Bodega la Masia

Sant Pau 56

08001 Barcelona

Tel: 933 019 483

rosa@bodegalasmasia.es

They do NOT take credit cards, but the prices on some (not all) spirits are quite amazing. Found excellent Scotch whiskey for less than duty free shops - not sure if the stuff fell of the back of a truck or what, but I pass this along for your use.

They had some wines as well, but since I was on a spirits hunt, I did not check prices or selection. They are about 2 blocks west of Las Ramblas.

• 2 weeks later...