Alaska May 2016 question

HockeyMom44

The deck blankets aren't thick/very warm -- just "chill chasers". And there usually aren't enough for everyone.

You'll do better w/layers of clothes, including long underwear & a windbreaker, for the scenic cruising near the glaciers. Hat & gloves too.

That said, I also plan to take a thin flannel blanket (like a big baby blanket); easy to pack. I get them for $3-$4 at Walmart. They are nice if it's especially windy. (Just booked my 4th Alaska cruise.)

Alaska is fabulous!

Just a side note and a couple tips. You likely won't be sitting on deck cruising the glaciers. If you are on deck, grab a good viewing spot at a rail early. One of my favorite spots is rail outside Lotus on some spots where you have a good open view without glass or deck above pool around stairs with same. There is some overhead cover in case it's raining. Promenade also offers cover, but oknce again, railings will likely be lined, blocking views if you are seatd. Hot chocolate or other warm drinks will be available on deck, as will interesting naturalist commentary. You can watch from your balcony if you have one - leave door open and get narration over TV.

Thanks for the info. We are departing June 1 and the time is racing by.

Our Alaskan adventure was about the same time frame as yours and it was freezing. Take hat, gloves and coat. I wore up to 4 layers, especially on land. It was 5 C in Denali in the morning.

Edited by Kinkacruiser

We sailed May 15,2015 and the weather was perfect. We had day time temps in the 60s and 70s and night time in the 40s and 50s. Had rain showers in Ketchican but the rest of the trip was dry. We stayed on our balcony for Glacier Bay and had on our fleece jackets and it was fine. Hope you have as good of weather as we did.

We sailed May 15,2015 and the weather was perfect. We had day time temps in the 60s and 70s and night time in the 40s and 50s. Had rain showers in Ketchican but the rest of the trip was dry. We stayed on our balcony for Glacier Bay and had on our fleece jackets and it was fine. Hope you have as good of weather as we did.

Sounds perfect! So excited.

Just a side note and a couple tips. You likely won't be sitting on deck cruising the glaciers. If you are on deck, grab a good viewing spot at a rail early. One of my favorite spots is rail outside Lotus on some spots where you have a good open view without glass or deck above pool around stairs with same. There is some overhead cover in case it's raining. Promenade also offers cover, but oknce again, railings will likely be lined, blocking views if you are seatd. Hot chocolate or other warm drinks will be available on deck, as will interesting naturalist commentary. You can watch from your balcony if you have one - leave door open and get narration over TV.

The Island Princess has several decks both forward and aft that stretch the entire width of the ship. These are typically sparsely populated and offer great vantage points!

The Island Princess has several decks both forward and aft that stretch the entire width of the ship. These are typically sparsely populated and offer great vantage points!

We are forward in Caribe. My partner doesnt like going through doors that say 'no access'. Is there any sign on the access door?