Mosquitos is East Australia

Hi All,

We will be in Australia next month and I just wanted to know if mosquitos are an issue on Australia's east coast? We will be in Brisbane, Airlie Beach and Cairns.

Thanks all for your help!

Mitch

Short answer

Yep.

Use repellant, here you'd probably grab Aeorgaurd in a supermarket, probably Coles or Woolworths being the best bet, if you're starting in Brisbane grab some there.

When you arrive in Brisbane go to a Chemist (Pharmacy) or supermarket and ask for a spray bottle of "tropical strength insect repellent containing DEET". Always apply it especially as the sun goes down and if you are in any rainforest areas. If you need further information about mozzies in tropical Queensland I suggest you do an online search. Have a nice trip.

Edited by happysnapper

When you arrive in Brisbane go to a Chemist (Pharmacy) or supermarket and ask for a spray bottle of "tropical strength insect repellent containing DEET". Always apply it especially as the sun goes down and if you are in any rainforest areas. If you need further information about mozzies in tropical Queensland I suggest you do an online search. Have a nice trip.

Ep forgot to add DEET, I think the ine we get, my Dr who's a mate of mine, said to try the Tropical Strength Aeroguard, but any of the DEET ones would do the trick.

Hi All,

We will be in Australia next month and I just wanted to know if mosquitos are an issue on Australia's east coast? We will be in Brisbane, Airlie Beach and Cairns.

Mitch

Look for "Bushman" brand. Sold in the main supermarkets.:)

Hi All,

Mitch

I would be looking for the Bushman Plus Water Resistant Insect Repellent + Sunscreen. Stays on in the water and when you are sweaty. Keeps sunburn and flies away in the daytime and mozzies at night.

Although it's best to take precautions, you really aren't in any more risk than if you went to Florida.

Isn't all this a bit over the top. I've caravanned from Sydney to Cairns a few times and never, repeat never had any issue with mosquitos. Yes of course you may see (hear) them. If you do buy some insect spray then, just as you would if you were having trouble with flies. Have a good trip.:)

The mozzies are annoying and you should get some tropical strength spray. Ross River Virus is not the worse case scenario, as we also have Dengue fever spread by mosquitoes up here in Cairns....those mozzies are out during the day not at night. Saying that, I have lived here my whole life and have not been infected with any if these diseases. Have an amazing holiday!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Some people are more sensitive than others. I can be covered in bites and my husband sitting near me would not have a single bite. Nothing wrong with being prepared with a bottle of spray. Don't think that's being over the top as an above post suggested.

Sandfly bites can be nasty too. You'll find these more on the beaches and estuaries.

Good point,

For all those international guests, just remember that nearly everything in Australia will kill you and if it doesn't it will still hurt.:rolleyes:

Isn't all this a bit over the top. I've caravanned from Sydney to Cairns a few times and never, repeat never had any issue with mosquitos. Yes of course you may see (hear) them. If you do buy some insect spray then, just as you would if you were having trouble with flies. Have a good trip.:)

agree, I have travelled around Australia by camper trailer and caravan, including the east coast and have never had a problem with mosquitos, once in a while there is an outbreak of something carried by mosquitos, but not often.

I would check with the locals, if there is a problem at the time of your visit and only use those chemicals on yourself if mosquitos are about and then not the spray variety, I guess I am lucky mosquitoes seldom bite me and I have never used a repellent.

We Aussies are inclined to be proud of this wonderful land including all our inhabitants!! but please don't be put off, once here you will realise there is little to really worry about and you will have a wonderful time.:)