Formal Dress policy

kingart55

[/b]

Vice versa! Right back atcha! Which came first the chicken or the egg? Who is requesting you follow the dress plan for the comfort and enjoyment of fellow cruisers?

Oh yeah, Princess! Who is repeating Princess requests. Respectful cruisers that follow it. Who is trying to null and void it? The Me me me crowd. I paid for this cruise and I have a right to do what ever I want crowd. Excuse me, crowd is not the proper word. I really mean the small portion of CC that represents the votes in any poll. :D

No matter what Princess decides to do, there will be a dress up night that will make the underdressed feel uncomfortable. But it will put an end to the games played here every week. :D

Certainly, first there was a formal night. That is beyond dispute. The question then becomes should there always be a formal night? What is considered appropriately dress on a cruise has changed over time. Do a bit of research and you'll find that, once upon a time, and women were expected to wear a full skirt and a hat when riding the exercise bike on a cruise. I doubt that you would agree that women should still be held to that standard. So: "Vice versa! Right back atcha!"

Have you read the Celebrity poll? 606 in favor of relaxing the dress code; 299 opposed; 136 don't care. Why do you keep insisting this is only a "small portion"? The only "small portion" is the less than 30% who want to keep formal nights.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2278817&highlight=poll

I would take exception to your claim that: "a dress up night that will make the underdressed feel uncomfortable." We who prefer a more casual dress are not uncomfortable because we are, in the opinion of some, underdressed. Dressing formally is what makes us uncomfortable.

Can we drop the derogatory "me, me, me" language?

I've paid for meals in the dining room and paid a service charge to go with it too. Are you offering to pay for my specialty dinner elsewhere?

Funny how the more they charge for a meal the less they care about you getting dressed up :rolleyes:

You know the score going in.

Perhaps the code should be changed because that is what the majority of cruiser want? Perhaps Princess might want to change the code to appeal to a broader demographic? Perhaps Princess might want to change the code to avoid losing customers to the other lines that have changed? Perhaps Princess doesn't want to tell their customers they have to choose between dressing comfortably and enjoying a better dining experience in the MDR?

Why not just enjoy your dining experience as you like it an let others enjoy theirs as they like it? "Easy peasy" as some say.

When the MDR is empty on formal nights then I'll believe that's what the majority of cruisers want.

Times have changed. I have photos of Disneyland from October of 1955 and almost half of the men were wearing suits or sport coats and ties. Men also would wear suits on airplanes. I am all for doing away with formal nights, but I want to keep the MDR and specialty restaurants smart casual every evening. I travel to the ship wearing a collared shirt and pants and travel home the same way with shorts and my swimsuit in my carry on. I see no rational for not requiring smart casual all nights. As far as the buffet, IC, pizza and burgers by the pool it is almost anything goes now. If you want your "freedom" to wear less than smart casual then stay out of the MDR and specialty restaurants and eat elsewhere.

When the MDR is empty on formal nights then I'll believe that's what the majority of cruisers want.

You don't have to accept a cruise critic poll. It's not scientific. But it does give a barometer as to the feelings of those who are fanatical about cruising and it would be hard to support a statement claiming that the overwhelming majority are in favor of formal nights.

What reasons do you speculate why Celebrity and Holland America, two brands that are pretty well aligned with Princess, abandoned formal nights and created Chic and Gala night respectively?

Do you think they still wear dresses and suits when they fly?

Nope. And I've been in more than enough boarding terminals in the last 25+ years to know they aren't boarding ships like that either.

But is it not traditional?

According to the Celebrity poll, approximately 1/3 of cruisers want formal nights. Approximately 60% prefer smart casual. The rest don't care. One dining room should be more than sufficient.[\QUOTE]

Except were not talking about celebrity. I'd like to see a poll of Princess cruisers.

When the usual suspects show up from other forums, it's time.

Did you really just quote yourself?

There are a small handful of us having a civil discussion. If you don't like the topic, move along. Don't come in here and pull a grenade hopping to get a thread tossed. Alternatively, you may contribute to the discussion if you want.

Do you think Princess will abandon formal night any time soon, or other changes?

Did you really just quote yourself?

There are a small handful of us having a civil discussion. If you don't like the topic, move along. Don't come in here and pull a grenade hopping to get a thread tossed. Alternatively, you may contribute to the discussion if you want.

Do you think Princess will abandon formal night any time soon, or other changes?

Point made.

Except were not talking about celebrity. I'd like to see a poll of Princess cruisers.

Doesn't seem a poll would satisfy what your own two eyes would tell you on board, but if it's a poll you want, put up a poll and see what it says. I'd wager you see 30%-40% support for things to remain as is.

You miss the point entirely. It's not only about getting dressed up. Can you explain the belief that some passengers have the right to dictate how others will dress in order to enhance their enjoyment?

The same question could be turned around on you. What right do you have to dictate how I should dress? I find formal night fun.

As do you.

It is not a requirement. It's optional participation.

Whether I choose to participate or not, I'll be eating in the MDR either way.

If it's optional why are you making such a fuss. Just here to cause trouble I guess.

Doesn't seem a poll would satisfy what your own two eyes would tell you on board, but if it's a poll you want, put up a poll and see what it says. I'd wager you see 30%-40% support for things to remain as is.

MDR is full on formal night, what more do I need to see.

As do you.

It is not a requirement. It's optional participation.

Whether I choose to participate or not, I'll be eating in the MDR either way.

Not quite Max. You won't get in the MDR with flip flops, shorts a a baseball cap. You would get in with slacks and a golf shirt, but looking like you came from a Sanders rally will not cut it.

The same question could be turned around on you. What right do you have to dictate how I should dress? I find formal night fun.

I support you doing what you find is fun. No one has tried to take that away from you. What am I missing?

Not quite Max. You won't get in the MDR with flip flops, shorts a a baseball cap. You would get in with slacks and a golf shirt, but looking like you came from a Sanders rally will not cut it.

Who said I want to go with flip flops, shorts, and a baseball cap? :confused:

Cruise Critic has an obsession with thinking "I don't want to dress formal" means "I want to arrive straight off the beach". I don't get it.

So, like I said, I'll be eating in the MDR whether I choose to dress formal or not

If it's optional why are you making such a fuss. Just here to cause trouble I guess.

Don't like it when other people tell me if I don't dress up I need to either skip service I've paid for, or go pay more for a meal elsewhere; especially when that's not the cruise lines stance. Didn't realize holding an opinion amounted to "causing trouble".