Formal Dress policy

kingart55

Considering that the MDR isn't the only place you can eat' date=' I really don't see the reason for changing the dress policy. You don't feel like dressing up, you can go to the Horizon, the International Cafe, the specialty restaurants (even though it seems, from our one time at Sabatinis, that people will dressed up more than jeans there), the outdoor grill or pizzeria. Easy peasy.[/quote']

Perhaps the code should be changed because that is what the majority of cruiser want? Perhaps Princess might want to change the code to appeal to a broader demographic? Perhaps Princess might want to change the code to avoid losing customers to the other lines that have changed? Perhaps Princess doesn't want to tell their customers they have to choose between dressing comfortably and enjoying a better dining experience in the MDR?

Why not just enjoy your dining experience as you like it an let others enjoy theirs as they like it? "Easy peasy" as some say.

When Princess will not "enforce" their outdated policy in the MDR on formal night, how can you expect anyone to take them seriously as rules and not just mere suggestions. Princess has to compete for pax in the real world to fill their ships. When their competition has dropped formal nights, how long do you think Princess can hold out with "tradition". As their pax come more and more from generations born part of the baby boom or later who were raised in a more informal setting, the old rules such as formal night will fall. The formal night will fall like it has done already on competing cruise lines. It now is only a matter of time. Personally I will not miss it.

In 1964 Bob Dylan released the single "the times are a changin' " and he had it pegged.

Well said. It's a completely different vacation to years ago with a different demographic. By Princess not enforcing it, it sounds like they're already gone, they just haven't publicized it yet.

I respect my fellow passengers and eat elsewhere on Formal night if I don't wish to participate. Do you?

Times do change.If people wish for the "rules" they don't like to change, they should keep on urging Princess to change their suggestions on dress. But until they do change them, my fellow passengers should respect the current dress suggestions or eat elsewhere as Princess requests. To do anything else is childish behavior.

The complaints on formal dress come from males. They don't want to stand out in the crowd on formal night so they go from thread to thread trying to convince people that they are right and it's their cruise and they can dress anyway they want. They put down other cruisers here and mock their interest in preserving a long standing cruising tradition.

They state that they don't care what others think about the way they dress but their conduct here indicates just the opposite.

Some of them make a game out of it every weekend.

I have yet to attend a formal night. Nor have I ever encouraged anyone to dress in any manner except in accordance with the code. I do not try to shut down debate. I do believe everyone who has an opinion should participate in these discussions. I do not believe that discussions of dress codes should be limited to the content of the current code but should also extend to possible changes. I do not make disparaging remarks about anyone or their opinions.

I believe that men have as much a right to discuss dress codes as do women. I also believe that women have as much a responsibility to dress to the code as men meaning evening gowns or cocktail dresses. A sparkly top and black slacks are the female equivalent of a polo and dockers.

Once again.... I don't believe you should have to dress in a tux and formal dress. But what is wrong in expecting people to dress UP a little. I have seen threads on here with people being very angry that they cannot wear what they want to the dining room on formal night. Dressing nice on formal night has been a staple on cruises for years. I personally hope Princess does not change their policy regardless of what other cruise lines are doing.

Once again.... I don't believe you should have to dress in a tux and formal dress. But what is wrong in expecting people to dress UP a little. I have seen threads on here with people being very angry that they cannot wear what they want to the dining room on formal night. Dressing nice on formal night has been a staple on cruises for years. I personally hope Princess does not change their policy regardless of what other cruise lines are doing.

I agree. We always dress nicely although he rarely takes his tux anymore. My entertainment some nights is sitting back with a martini and seeing what some people think passes for formal. The problem is you can't enforce good taste. And some of the worst offenders are people that think they're dressing to the code. Squeezing into that prom dress or really wrinkled suit that used to fit just isn't pretty. Time to end the farce.

How about on the big ships that have three dining rooms one room is traditional dining with dress code, one is anytime with dress code and one is casual. Then everyone can decide. Many want to eat the dining room food because it is better and not worry about their dress. Others can get fancy on those formal nights.

How about on the big ships that have three dining rooms one room is traditional dining with dress code, one is anytime with dress code and one is casual. Then everyone can decide. Many want to eat the dining room food because it is better and not worry about their dress. Others can get fancy on those formal nights.

AT dining can't even handle diners during prime time now due to reservations/overflow from trad etc. Having DR's by dress would be a complete disaster. There are many choices for dinner if one does not wish to follow the guidelines.

AT dining can't even handle diners during prime time now due to reservations/overflow from trad etc. Having DR's by dress would be a complete disaster. There are many choices for dinner if one does not wish to follow the guidelines.

Arb18 has an excellent suggestion. Traditional dining could celebrate formal nights. Anytime would not. You decide at the time of reservation whether you want to celebrate formal night in traditional dining or not.

Rejecting sensible compromises like art18's suggestion only brings the date closer when the compromise will be formal optional.

BTW, when you insist that the overflow from formal/traditional dining would swamp any time dining, you are admitting just how unpopular formal dining is.

Edited by RocketMan275

You can't just say that it would be a complete disaster. You don't know nor do I since it hasn't been done.

I'll tell you why. Because there would be those who would be offended and have tantrums because they would not be allowed in to the formal dinning room in their grunge wear. Back to square one.

Just off 19 days (5-7-7) on Emerald Princess. Formal nights are much less formal now.

Very few tuxedoes. Still some dark suits. Sports coats with or without ties were worn by many. There was no problem with just wearing long pants and a shirt with a collar on formal nights. No one decently dressed was turned away.

Princess seems to be going with the flow of what most not want even if they still continue to call it Formal Night.

LuLu

Just off 19 days (5-7-7) on Emerald Princess. Formal nights are much less formal now.

Very few tuxedoes. Still some dark suits. Sports coats with or without ties were worn by many. There was no problem with just wearing long pants and a shirt with a collar on formal nights. No one decently dressed was turned away.

Princess seems to be going with the flow of what most not want even if they still continue to call it Formal Night.

LuLu

Thanks for the update. Hope the cruise was good.

Thanks for the update. Hope the cruise was good.

Thanks for asking! We had a WONDERFUL time! :)

Our only disappointment was the new specialty restaurant, SHARE! :(

Glad we tried it to see for ourselves ... but we would not go back even if free.

Sorry, getting back "on topic" of dress on formal nights ... DH no longer takes his tuxedo. He wore a navy sports coat, white golf shirt, and gray dress pants.

LuLu

Edited by OCruisers

Thanks for asking! We had a WONDERFUL time! :)

Our only disappointment was the new specialty restaurant, SHARE! :(

Glad we tried it to see for ourselves ... but we would not go back even if free.

Sorry, getting back "on topic" of dress on formal nights ... DH no longer takes his tuxedo. He wore a navy sports coat, white golf shirt, and gray dress pants.

LuLu

I saw what they give you & I've have to stop at the buffet on the way out. It's really a joke for $39 per person. Only one main course per person and it is small. None of the people that went on the tour were impressed and from the ones I talked to later on there wasn't one person who wound spend the money to try it.

They must be having problems filling the place. I've never seen tours to any of the other restaurants before.

Last night was formal night- the DR was probably half filled with people not dressed formally. They have just given up on the whole formal idea since it was Superbowl and not many people cared one way or the other.

There is room for compromise. It does not have to be either tuxedos or overalls.

Holland and Celebrity have both changed their dress codes. Holland has a Gala night. Celebrity has a Chic night. Both are formal optional but smart casual required. Neither requires a coat or a tie. Both allow a "nice dress shirt and slacks". Neither allow jeans and baseball caps. You shouldn't have a problem if Princess changes to something similar.

The number of dress code threads have declined in both forums and the ones that are there are typically less confrontational.

I am in general agreement with your thoughts on the topic but I do believe jeans are not prohibited. If so please correct me with the respective policies.

Sent from my B1-730HD using Tapatalk

I am in general agreement with your thoughts on the topic but I do believe jeans are not prohibited. If so please correct me with the respective policies.

We are both partially right and partially wrong depending upon your interpretation.

Clearly Holland does not allow jeans on Gala Nights.

Holland:

Q: Are jeans allowed?

A: Jeans without holes, tears or embroidery are welcome on most evenings in all restaurants, but on Gala Nights jeans are only allowed in the casual dining restaurants.

Celebrity specifically allows "designer jeans" on Chic evenings.

Guess it depends upon the definition of "designer jeans". "Jeans" are allowed on other evenings on both lines. But we are talking about formal evenings in this thread.

I've got $20 that says you will see Regal Evening replace formal night in the not distant future

I wouldn't take that bet. That's a very plausible choice of words. You might want to offer that as a suggestion to Princess. You might be awarded something like a half off discount on a t-shirt to wear at Regal Evenings.

I wouldn't take that bet. That's a very plausible choice of words. You might want to offer that as a suggestion to Princess. You might be awarded something like a half off discount on a t-shirt to wear at Regal Evenings.

Smart cookie not to bet against it.

Here is my Jeans in the MDR on Formal Night story.

4 or 5 years ago on a Princess Ship Mrs 4x4 and I were standing in line for the main dinning room on Formal night. Mrs 4x4 was wearing a nice gown and I was in my required, by Mrs 4x4, penguin suit (Tux)

There was a young couple standing in front of us. She was wearing a short jean jacket and jeans with lots of bling on both. Also, tall highly polished boots. I noticed the boots first.

Then I noticed that the back pockets of her jeans had been cut out exposing parts of her tail assembly.

I was thinking about the rule of jeans with out holes and embroidery when Mrs 4x4 bopped me up along side of the head. Umm Why I asked, and she said what are you looking at?. I told her I was considering the dress code and she bopped me again. Umm, why? For giving me a stupid answer.:D

Any way, the couple walked into the MDR drawing stares as they walked past tables. They were not turned away at the door.

As others have commented, inconsistent enforcement of the rules.

Bob

Different cruise lines have different cultures and traditions.

Why don't the "pajamas, me-me-me" people just choose a more casual cruise line?

If I don't feel like donning formal wear I also won't be in pajamas. Why is this a problem for you?