Formal Dress policy

kingart55

So, with all the talk regarding the lack of formal dress, it is possible that the cruise lines will consider a break down on the formal night cuisine as well.

Possibly no more lobster tail and premium beef...........:rolleyes:

The same question could be turned around on you. What right do you have to dictate how I should dress? I find formal night fun.

I doubt that most people care how you dress on formal night. If you find formal night fun, go for it.

Princess Cruises makes the rules that passengers are required to follow while on board their ships. It is clearly stated on the literary how many formal nights there are for the cruise. You should have read this before booking. After booking you agree to a contract that says you will follow the rules. This includes the dress code. In the Patter it stated the dress code either formal or smart casual. They also describe what is expected passengers will wear. It is your choice to book the cruise. It is not what you want or other passengers want, but what Princess wants. I recommend informing Princess of you desires. Do not book a cruise if you will not be comfortable. There are many other vacations you can take and cruise lines with rules you like. Princess is always making changes, someday formal nights no more.

When the MDR is empty on formal nights then I'll believe that's what the majority of cruisers want.

During my recent two week cruise the MDR on formal night had a very small amount of people dressed formal. Most were in shirt and slacks for the men and a skirt, pants and blouses for the women. Didn't seem to destroy the evening for those dressed in a Tux or long gown.:)

Didn't realize holding an opinion amounted to "causing trouble".

Nobody said you were causing trouble. We are just having little debate. Nothing more and nothing less.

If we all agreed, this topic would have been dead a long time ago.

Princess Cruises makes the rules that passengers are required to follow while on board their ships. It is clearly stated on the literary how many formal nights there are for the cruise. You should have read this before booking. After booking you agree to a contract that says you will follow the rules. This includes the dress code. In the Patter it stated the dress code either formal or smart casual. They also describe what is expected passengers will wear. It is your choice to book the cruise. It is not what you want or other passengers want, but what Princess wants. I recommend informing Princess of you desires. Do not book a cruise if you will not be comfortable. There are many other vacations you can take and cruise lines with rules you like. Princess is always making changes, someday formal nights no more.

Very well put..........

You are very correct. However, this discussion is about whether Princess will change the rules (see original post). Once the question of whether the rules will be changed, it is appropriate to discuss what changes might/should be made.

Get real.....the dress code is suggested not a rule....women wear what ever they want and get away with it on formal nights so why is it the men who are only limited to a suit and tie....this dead horse rides again!!! :):D

According to the Celebrity poll, approximately 1/3 of cruisers want formal nights. Approximately 60% prefer smart casual. The rest don't care. One dining room should be more than sufficient.[\QUOTE]

Except were not talking about celebrity. I'd like to see a poll of Princess cruisers.

I would imagine that the poll did include a significant number of Princess cruise passengers. You'll notice that many post in both forums. However, it shouldn't be difficult to prove your point by starting a poll in this forum (being sure to inform all that only those who cruise Princess should participate, of course).

Ah , a lively debate . Nothing like it . If you want to go smart casual that's your choice if you are not turned away at the door . I enjoy dressing up as is my choice . I also choose to sit with a table that has also made an effort and is dressed formally .

Ps wedding dress girl . If you want to wear your dress you go right a head my husband takes his top hat and looks smashing . He does take it off at the table mind . Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No different than the "little girls" who think some sort of pant, a "sparkly top" and "comfortable" flats is formal.

I disagree that high heels are necessary for one's dress to be considered "formal". I also think a beaded or sequined top can be formal depending on what it is paired with. For example, any skirt or pant that is made of silk, velvet or chiffon would qualify. Denim not so much :)

I disagree that high heels are necessary for one's dress to be considered "formal". I also think a beaded or sequined top can be formal depending on what it is paired with. For example, any skirt or pant that is made of silk, velvet or chiffon would qualify. Denim not so much :)

Beaded and sequined tops do not meet the criteria for formal wear as defined by the Princess dress code. Women on this forum often lecture men that polos and dockers do not meet the dress code and then announce that they are wearing "black pants and a sparkly top". The Princess dress code for women on formal nights is: "Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for women."

While it looks good on paper it's not realistic. I could guarantee you that you ask any employee on Princess if it's ok to attend formal night in pants and a long sleeved shirt and they'll welcome you with open arms. Corporate would also much rather you cruise Princess dressed casually rather than pick another cruise line.

Beaded and sequined tops do not meet the criteria for formal wear as defined by the Princess dress code. Women on this forum often lecture men that polos and dockers do not meet the dress code and then announce that they are wearing "black pants and a sparkly top". The Princess dress code for women on formal nights is: "Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for women."

I know as a man you have little way of knowing this, but many gowns and even cocktail dresses come with or are made with beaded or sequined tops. In fact you can't find a mother-of-the-bride gown without some kind of sparkly top, either attached, as an accessory or as part of a two-piece gown. And there is such a thing as formal pants for women.

A more apt comparison to "polos and dockers" would be a sundress, or a blouse with capris. You're mixing levels of formality in your analogy.

I know as a man you have little way of knowing this, but many gowns and even cocktail dresses come with or are made with beaded or sequined tops. In fact you can't find a mother-of-the-bride gown without some kind of sparkly top, either attached, as an accessory or as part of a two-piece gown. And there is such a thing as formal pants for women.

A more apt comparison to "polos and dockers" would be a sundress, or a blouse with capris. You're mixing levels of formality in your analogy.

You assume too much. Once upon a time, I co-owned a Bridal Shop with my ex-wife. I understand exactly what you're saying. There are other definitions of formal but this is a discussion of the Princess dress code for formal nights. Sparkly tops and formal pants do not satisfy Princess's requirement for evening gowns and cocktail dresses.

My other point is this. It is hypocritical for a woman to criticize men for wearing clothing (polos and dockers) that do not satisfy the dress code when her clothing (sparkly tops and black pants) also does not. If one sex has to wear dark suits and tuxedos then the other needs to pack her evening gowns and cocktail dresses.

Edited by RocketMan275

While it looks good on paper it's not realistic. I could guarantee you that you ask any employee on Princess if it's ok to attend formal night in pants and a long sleeved shirt and they'll welcome you with open arms. Corporate would also much rather you cruise Princess dressed casually rather than pick another cruise line.

It was realistic when it was written but times have changed and the written code has not been updated to match the code as actually enforced on board the ships. OP asked whether Princess would be updating their code to match the updated codes on Celebrity (and Holland).

No different than the "little girls" who think some sort of pant, a "sparkly top" and "comfortable" flats is formal.

Formal does not mean sky high heels. Many who choose to wear them, in my opinion, shouldn't because they can't walk in them. Also, there are many who choose to wear "comfortable flats" for other reasons. Myself, for example, have had 3 knee surgeries and now ankle surgery just 8 weeks ago. As much as I would love to wear heels, my knees can only tolerate small pumps (with thick heels), and sometimes not even that if I have been on my feet all day. We are cruising again in July, and with my recent ankle surgery, I gave no idea what I will be able to tolerate.

First, if I were invited to be a guest at a nice wedding where the host is paying for the occasion, then I would dress the part. I have not been invited to the MDR, I am not a guest there, I am a customer, and I'm paying for the privilege of dining there.

If you're going to a restaurant that requires a certain level of dress, such as a jacket and tie for a man, they can turn you away or hand you a jacket and tie to wear. And that's a case when you are a customer.

I agree with your analogy. There are dressy pants -- I have an one-piece silky pants outfit that I bought before my first cruise. And I don't do well with heels so I'm going to wear flats or dressy sandals with a low heel.