Formal Dress policy

kingart55

Well I am going to wear my pjs every night in the DR, as it is my holiday and how dare someone tell me what I can wear or not wear. I paid my money like everyone else, actually maybe to save time and money all I will pack is pjs and slippers. You do realize I can see this scenario down the road, as if they relax formal, then people will want to go even more casual. To he** with elegance and tradition, because it is all about me. I may even bring my cell phone into the DR and talk and text all through dinner as well.

Two points:

How do you explain the fact that other lines that do not have formal nights, Oceania and Azamara for example, do not have a problem with PJ clad passengers in their dining rooms? BTW, most would consider Oceania and Azamara to be a bit more upscale than Princess.

Why is it that anyone who prefers to dress casually is "all about me"? Aren't those who want everyone to dress formally also being "all about me"?

Edited by RocketMan275

Well I am going to wear my pjs every night in the DR, as it is my holiday and how dare someone tell me what I can wear or not wear. I paid my money like everyone else, actually maybe to save time and money all I will pack is pjs and slippers. You do realize I can see this scenario down the road, as if they relax formal, then people will want to go even more casual. To he** with elegance and tradition, because it is all about me. I may even bring my cell phone into the DR and talk and text all through dinner as well.

Be sure to wear the black teddy with the bikini underwear in order to stay with the proper color scheme some want for formal night.

My minimum requirements for fellow passengers that come to a shared table in MDR is that they take a bath and wear clean clothes.

So, continue to hope that Princess will continue to enforce some level of control on the front door to the MDR.

Bob

Edited by 4x4bob

We were on the Pacific Dec/Jan and every formal night there were men in jeans/not dressy shirts/t-shirts (one man even wore suspenders with his jeans/t-shirt). Women tended to follow the dress code a little more closely, but there were several who wore pedal pushers (which look like shorts to me). The dress code was definitely not enforced.

My minimum requirements for fellow passengers that come to a shared table in MDR is that they take a bath and wear clean clothes.

So, continue to hope that Princess will continue to enforce some level of control on the front door to the MDR.

Bob

If they can't enforce the current standards why do you think they'd enforce the ones you are suggesting.

They just don't want to offend anyone, not realizing that by setting standards they are unwilling to enforce they are offending many others who have gone to the trouble of complying.

They just don't want to offend anyone, not realizing that by setting standards they are unwilling to enforce they are offending many others who have gone to the trouble of complying.

Yep. The pandemic of political correctness has infected just about everything.

Do you think there is a chance that Princess will follow the dress policy

change that Celebrity has implemented?

I believe Formal Night photography would have to become unprofitable before we see a major change to the suggested dress for the evenings.

Personally, I like the formal nights and hope that Princess Cruises continues to be a step above the crowd.

If they can't enforce the current standards why do you think they'd enforce the ones you are suggesting.

I don't think so. There was a poll in the Celebrity forum on the change when Celebrity changed their dress code to do away with formal nights. Almost twice as many agreed with the change than opposed it. The cruise lines are not willing to enforce a code that the majority of their passengers oppose. By most reports, the cruise lines are enforcing a dress code (smart casual) that is preferred by the majority of their passengers.

I believe Formal Night photography would have to become unprofitable before we see a major change to the suggested dress for the evenings.

Personally, I like the formal nights and hope that Princess Cruises continues to be a step above the crowd.

Ditto.....:):):)

Bob

Two points:

How do you explain the fact that other lines that do not have formal nights, Oceania and Azamara for example, do not have a problem with PJ clad passengers in their dining rooms? BTW, most would consider Oceania and Azamara to be a bit more upscale than Princess.

Why is it that anyone who prefers to dress casually is "all about me"? Aren't those who want everyone to dress formally also being "all about me"?

Because formal nights have a suggested dress code - so it is not the people that want to dress formally, but it is the people that don't want to dress formally are the ones that want the code to change, so yes, it is the casual that is "all about me"

There are always people that want to bend the rules, and if Princess does not want to enforce the dress code now, then who is to say that they will enforce it when someone does show up in PJ's, or ripped or torn jeans?

I don't know about Azamara or Oceania, those are above my pay grade:)

Because formal nights have a suggested dress code - so it is not the people that want to dress formally, but it is the people that don't want to dress formally are the ones that want the code to change, so yes, it is the casual that is "all about me"

There are always people that want to bend the rules, and if Princess does not want to enforce the dress code now, then who is to say that they will enforce it when someone does show up in PJ's, or ripped or torn jeans?

I don't know about Azamara or Oceania, those are above my pay grade:)

For sure. :)

Because formal nights have a suggested dress code - so it is not the people that want to dress formally, but it is the people that don't want to dress formally are the ones that want the code to change, so yes, it is the casual that is "all about me".

As you say, it is a "suggested dress code". Those who try to impose a "suggestion" are the "me, me" people. The facts are those who prefer formal nights are in the minority and the cruise lines are changing their codes to match the preferences of the majority.

Suggestions are not rules and suggestions cannot be enforced.

If we are to get real here, it isn't about the clothes anymore. It's about the lack of respect for what Princess "suggests" when they ask cruisers to dress in the spirit of the evening in the dining rooms for the enjoyment of other cruisers. They also provide alternative dining for you. They aren't excluding anyone from any of the evening programs and activities either.

If anyone can't or won't understand that the formal night was here before some people decided to crash the party so to speak, here is a simple explanation:

A group of 5 year old boys are playing soccer on the playground. They are having a great time and getting along fine using their rules. A couple of first graders come along and watch the game. During a break, 2 kids had to go home leaving one team short on players. The 2 first graders ask if they can play. The team was happy to have them. Unfortunately, the 2 new players didn't like the rules and arguments broke out ending the fun game.

No matter what Princess does about formal night, I will remember the little boys that broke up the game.

This so called " lack of respect" you talk abiut extends to those who make then guidelines. They respect them so much that they do not even attempt to enforce them. If the company does not even respect themselves enough to follow them how do you expect any one else to respect them. That s a big losing reason to follow them.

So blame it all on the little boys. Good as any one to blame.

Edited by Potstech

If we are to get real here, it isn't about the clothes anymore. It's about the lack of respect for what Princess "suggests" when they ask cruisers to dress in the spirit of the evening in the dining rooms for the enjoyment of other cruisers. They also provide alternative dining for you. They aren't excluding anyone from any of the evening programs and activities either.

If anyone can't or won't understand that the formal night was here before some people decided to crash the party so to speak, here is a simple explanation:

A group of 5 year old boys are playing soccer on the playground. They are having a great time and getting along fine using their rules. A couple of first graders come along and watch the game. During a break, 2 kids had to go home leaving one team short on players. The 2 first graders ask if they can play. The team was happy to have them. Unfortunately, the 2 new players didn't like the rules and arguments broke out ending the fun game.

No matter what Princess does about formal night, I will remember the little boys that broke up the game.

For sure a lack of respect. Remember its my cruise. ;)

Times change. The cruising demographic changes. The majority of cruisers now prefer a more casual experience. They are not "little boys". They are adults. They are your fellow passengers. It's time to "respect" their wishes and change the "rules" to make for a more enjoyable experience.

Times change. The cruising demographic changes. The majority of cruisers now prefer a more casual experience. They are not "little boys". They are adults. They are your fellow passengers. It's time to "respect" their wishes and change the "rules" to make for a more enjoyable experience.

Enjoyable for who? When i walk into the dining room an see those who decide that dressing up a little is not for them and they have jeans and a baseball cap on it is not enjoyable for me. ( I am not talking tuxedos and prom dresses) Remember there are alternatives if you don't want to dress according to Princess guidelines A nice dress shirt and slacks would work for me . But unfortunately some don't even want to do that. Some times it's not all about you.

I respect my fellow passengers and eat elsewhere on Formal night if I don't wish to participate. Do you?

Times do change.If people wish for the "rules" they don't like to change, they should keep on urging Princess to change their suggestions on dress. But until they do change them, my fellow passengers should respect the current dress suggestions or eat elsewhere as Princess requests. To do anything else is childish behavior.

The complaints on formal dress come from males. They don't want to stand out in the crowd on formal night so they go from thread to thread trying to convince people that they are right and it's their cruise and they can dress anyway they want. They put down other cruisers here and mock their interest in preserving a long standing cruising tradition.

They state that they don't care what others think about the way they dress but their conduct here indicates just the opposite.

Some of them make a game out of it every weekend.

When Princess will not "enforce" their outdated policy in the MDR on formal night, how can you expect anyone to take them seriously as rules and not just mere suggestions. Princess has to compete for pax in the real world to fill their ships. When their competition has dropped formal nights, how long do you think Princess can hold out with "tradition". As their pax come more and more from generations born part of the baby boom or later who were raised in a more informal setting, the old rules such as formal night will fall. The formal night will fall like it has done already on competing cruise lines. It now is only a matter of time. Personally I will not miss it.

In 1964 Bob Dylan released the single "the times are a changin' " and he had it pegged.

Considering that the MDR isn't the only place you can eat, I really don't see the reason for changing the dress policy. You don't feel like dressing up, you can go to the Horizon, the International Cafe, the specialty restaurants (even though it seems, from our one time at Sabatinis, that people will dressed up more than jeans there), the outdoor grill or pizzeria. Easy peasy.

Enjoyable for who? When i walk into the dining room an see those who decide that dressing up a little is not for them and they have jeans and a baseball cap on it is not enjoyable for me. ( I am not talking tuxedos and prom dresses) Remember there are alternatives if you don't want to dress according to Princess guidelines A nice dress shirt and slacks would work for me . But unfortunately some don't even want to do that. Some times it's not all about you.

There is room for compromise. It does not have to be either tuxedos or overalls.

Holland and Celebrity have both changed their dress codes. Holland has a Gala night. Celebrity has a Chic night. Both are formal optional but smart casual required. Neither requires a coat or a tie. Both allow a "nice dress shirt and slacks". Neither allow jeans and baseball caps. You shouldn't have a problem if Princess changes to something similar.

The number of dress code threads have declined in both forums and the ones that are there are typically less confrontational.