Formal Dress policy

kingart55

This so called " lack of respect" you talk abiut extends to those who make then guidelines. They respect them so much that they do not even attempt to enforce them. If the company does not even respect themselves enough to follow them how do you expect any one else to respect them. That s a big losing reason to follow them.

So blame it all on the little boys. Good as any one to blame.

No different than the "little girls" who think some sort of pant, a "sparkly top" and "comfortable" flats is formal. It's the dockers and button down/no tie or jacket look for men,and I don't see anyone running to criticize the "little girls" are not wearing ball gowns or cocktail dresses. I think blaming it on "little boys" is quite frankly sexist.

Don't get me wrong, I like dressing up, and do when dining in the specialty restaurants. Quite frankly MDR is not special anymore. Want formal, dress to the nines and get a great steak steak, ho hum italian, or new sharing cuisine, go to a specialty, but the old times your looking for is dieing in MDR.

Princess is changing with the times, and traditional dining will be dead in 5 years as it is a product that is falling in popularity as each year passes. Just look at the number who can't get AT dining, booked TD, and are forced nightly to try to standby for AT

Edited by MrMan

Just off the Ruby. The sign at the door says "No shorts, tank tops or baseball caps at dinner" The sign did not change on formal night. We saw two people turned away who were wearing shorts. As far as I could tell, they enforced the dress code that is a requirement, not merely a suggestion.

Personally, this manner of dress works for me. My lobster tail tastes the same whether the fellow next to me is wearing a tux or dockers and a button down shirt. I can't understand why people are so upset by the dress of someone else in the dining room.

traditional dining will be dead in 5 years as it is a product that is falling in popularity as each year passes.

Maybe on some of the under 50 crowd ships, but it will always be available for the more traditional type of cruises. I see advantage for ATD, but if you are not in a heated rush or are no afraid to meet people you don't know, traditional dining is an interesting experience. Sure there are risks but this is a cruise and not going out to dinner like back at home. This is a cruise. Maritime adventures are filled with tradition. You will miss a lot if you reject it.

We have only been on 5 cruises (not counting 3 military cruises or 5 sail trips in yachts under 50 ft.), but it has been over a 35 year span and we have always had traditional dining and it was always interesting each evening to talk with our tablemates. I really don't remember any of the couples who did not enjoy it, but I know it is possible to end up with some jerks. If it really got bad you could make arrangements.

My lobster tail tastes the same whether the fellow next to me is wearing a tux or dockers and a button down shirt. I can't understand why people are so upset by the dress of someone else in the dining room.

The button down shirts and dockers are not the problem. It isn't any different than going to a nice restaurant back home. People usually dress nicely even if casually at nice restaurants. If you had no dress code at all there would be a few who would be in the MDR with bathings suits, flip flops and baseball caps. That's what the buffet is for. You don't see anyone at the buffet with a tux either.

Meriam-Webster dictionary

Suggestion: an idea about what someone should do or how someone should behave

It's not a rule! It's not a law! If that makes it all about me, then so be it. I like me!!!! ME plans to wear jeans, casuals pants, nice shirts, and comfortable shoes on formal and informal nights. I will not throw food in the MDR, scream, or engage in any other rude behavior. I will be polite to my waiter, put my napkin on my lap, chew with my mouth closed, and enjoy my formal and casual food. I will admire the formal wear of those around me and not judge those who choose to wear casual clothing. I will remember that what I wear or don't wear was suggested to me on the website of the cruise line that we all bought our vacation from. Rich, poor, old, young, new cruiser, experienced cruiser......follow the suggestion as you will, BUT leave me alone and let me wear what I want. I promise I won't tear you apart for getting all dressed up!!!

I really enjoy formal night. It's only a couple nights on most cruises. Love the champagne water fall. Appys in the atrium. Ship crew looking very elegant. Love to see the ladies in beautiful dresses and men looking handsome. I think we all need a little more elegance in our lives. Not Everyone dresses to the nines, but most passengers make an effort. When I do see the occasional person really casual on formal night, I think they have gone out of there way to make a point and end up looking foolish

ME plans to wear jeans, casuals pants, nice shirts, and comfortable shoes on formal and informal nights. I will not throw food in the MDR, scream, or engage in any other rude behavior. I will be polite to my waiter, put my napkin on my lap, chew with my mouth closed, and enjoy my formal and casual food. I will admire the formal wear of those around me and not judge those who choose to wear casual clothing. I will remember that what I wear or don't wear was suggested to me on the website of the cruise line that we all bought our vacation from. Rich, poor, old, young, new cruiser, experienced cruiser......follow the suggestion as you will, BUT leave me alone and let me wear what I want. I promise I won't tear you apart for getting all dressed up!!!

Alright, but no flip flops or baseball caps.

Maybe on some of the under 50 crowd ships, but it will always be available for the more traditional type of cruises. I see advantage for ATD, but if you are not in a heated rush or are no afraid to meet people you don't know, traditional dining is an interesting experience. Sure there are risks but this is a cruise and not going out to dinner like back at home. This is a cruise. Maritime adventures are filled with tradition. You will miss a lot if you reject it.

We have only been on 5 cruises (not counting 3 military cruises or 5 sail trips in yachts under 50 ft.), but it has been over a 35 year span and we have always had traditional dining and it was always interesting each evening to talk with our tablemates. I really don't remember any of the couples who did not enjoy it, but I know it is possible to end up with some jerks. If it really got bad you could make arrangements.

Perhaps the code should be changed because that is what the majority of cruiser want? Perhaps Princess might want to change the code to appeal to a broader demographic? Perhaps Princess might want to change the code to avoid losing customers to the other lines that have changed? Perhaps Princess doesn't want to tell their customers they have to choose between dressing comfortably and enjoying a better dining experience in the MDR?

Why not just enjoy your dining experience as you like it an let others enjoy theirs as they like it? "Easy peasy" as some say.

We have always enjoyed traditional dining -- back on our first five or six cruises when it was all assigned seating and ever since. Not a biggie for hubby to put on a jacket and tie. It's not a dark suit as he doesn't have one, but it's his best one that he would use for promotional interviews. Otherwise before he retired, he would wear a dress shirt and tie to work befitting his position there. I wouldn't wear glitzy gowns but nice dresses (LBD, cocktail length, silky long ones) or silky one piece pants outfit. I think of it as a chance to dress up that I rarely have. I wouldn't freak out if someone chooses not to dress up, but there are alternative venues so why not consider them? I just don't get it. And I'm not one of those who think there should be a public area dress code for formal nights like some people do.

So to me, easy peasy is dress up or not. But why not make an attempt just as hopefully one would do if going to a nice wedding.

We have always enjoyed traditional dining -- back on our first five or six cruises when it was all assigned seating and ever since. Not a biggie for hubby to put on a jacket and tie. It's not a dark suit as he doesn't have one' date=' but it's his best one that he would use for promotional interviews. Otherwise before he retired, he would wear a dress shirt and tie to work befitting his position there. I wouldn't wear glitzy gowns but nice dresses (LBD, cocktail length, silky long ones) or silky one piece pants outfit. I think of it as a chance to dress up that I rarely have. I wouldn't freak out if someone chooses not to dress up, but there are alternative venues so why not consider them? I just don't get it. And I'm not one of those who think there should be a public area dress code for formal nights like some people do.

So to me, easy peasy is dress up or not. But why not make an attempt just as hopefully one would do if going to a nice wedding.[/quote']

First, if I were invited to be a guest at a nice wedding where the host is paying for the occasion, then I would dress the part. I have not been invited to the MDR, I am not a guest there, I am a customer, and I'm paying for the privilege of dining there.

But, Yes, it would be "easy peasy". I do not argue that dressing up is too difficult or any of the other common objections. My objection to formal dress codes/nights is that I do not think I have the right to tell others that they should dress up in order to enhance my enjoyment. My enjoyment is not their responsibility. I don't tell others they can't have dinner in the MDR if they dress up because I think dressing up ruins the ambiance. I don't think others should tell me that I can't have dinner in the MDR if I don't dress up because dressing casually ruins the ambiance. I believe that ambiance/enjoyment is a personal responsibility and I do not think I should make others responsible for my enjoyment.

I recognize that there are many who prefer casual dining and there are many who prefer a more formal experience. I would like to see some form of compromise. My favorite form would be to segregate the dining rooms. We already choose Anytime Dining or Traditional dining when we make our reservations. ATD could be smart casual. Traditional early or late or both could celebrate formal dining. Choose the dining you prefer.

What happens when traditional dining is booked solid and we are on a waiting list? Do we have to be relegated to available AT dining with the casual crowd? After all, there would not be enough room in one dining room for those that want to participate in dressing up.. There isn't enough room for traditional now.

What happens when traditional dining is booked solid and we are on a waiting list? Do we have to be relegated to available AT dining with the casual crowd? After all, there would not be enough room in one dining room for those that want to participate in dressing up.. There isn't enough room for traditional now.

It would be no different than any other waiting list. There would be no guarantee that you would get your preference. Early bookings might be a good idea. While some might be disappointed with their assignments, I suspect this system would produce more satisfied passengers than the present system. And, to be honest, I'm thinking that the AT will see much more demand than TD.

One thing for certain, this system would give some definite data on the relative popularity of casual/formal dining.

Edited by RocketMan275

It would be no different than any other waiting list. There would be no guarantee that you would get your preference. Early bookings might be a good idea. While some might be disappointed with their assignments, I suspect this system would produce more satisfied passengers than the present system. And, to be honest, I'm thinking that the AT will see much more demand than TD.

One thing for certain, this system would give some definite data on the relative popularity of casual/formal dining.

The present assignment for Traditional dining has a long waiting list.

Of course, you did say you never go to the dining room for dinner, so I wouldn't expect that you would understand.

The present assignment for Traditional dining has a long waiting list.

Of course, you did say you never go to the dining room for dinner, so I wouldn't expect that you would understand.

I think people are overguessing how much space would need to be devoted for TD.

I think people are overguessing how much space would need to be devoted for TD.

Tell that to the people that can't get Traditional seating. The overflow for the third early traditional takes up an AT dining room every night and there is still a waiting list.

Tell that to the people that can't get Traditional seating. The overflow for the third early traditional takes up an AT dining room every night and there is still a waiting list.

I bet it has more to do with entertainment schedule than dress, as dress is consistent in both variations of dining.

I bet it has more to do with entertainment schedule than dress, as dress is consistent in both variations of dining.

Here's a thought. Let Traditional diners take over one of the AT dining rooms for Traditional altogether, leaving one dining room for AT and no one would be wait listed for traditional. We could continue dressing for formal night and the AT casual crowd could wait in line with beepers for their dining room. Yeah, I like that idea. :D

. I think of it as a chance to dress up that I rarely have. I wouldn't freak out if someone chooses not to dress up, but there are alternative venues so why not consider .

Love to dress up and hope princess kept this little bit of tradition. If you want to go casual on the formal nights then eat in the casual eateries. Or have room service there are plenty of options. It's very cool,to see every one looking amazing in our very casual world.

There are not that many on 3 only 3 formals on a 15 day .

Enjoy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Coral Princess 2013 Alaska

Coral Princess 2015 Panama

Diamond Princess 2016 Australia and Asia

Edited by cuckoo32

Here's a thought. Let Traditional diners take over one of the AT dining rooms for Traditional altogether, leaving one dining room for AT and no one would be wait listed for traditional. We could continue dressing for formal night and the AT casual crowd could wait in line with beepers for their dining room. Yeah, I like that idea. :D

Love that idea [emoji41][emoji41][emoji41]

We feel the formal nights are a night out in themselves and are usually not in a hurry to go anywhere else. Great chance to talk to new people , while they look there best

It's certainly a thought, but not a great plan if you want your paying guests to be happy and return and pay to fill up your big steel diesel-electric hotels sitting in saltwater.

We feel the formal nights are a night out in themselves and are usually not in a hurry to go anywhere else. Great chance to talk to new people , while they look there best

I think it is great you feel that way and are enjoying yourselves to the max. I am very glad you have the option to do something on vacation that you enjoy.

But as time marches on it is becoming more of a minority position. People often cruise with family/extended family now and are sat together, or couples who want a 2-top table. Very frequent. New ships have more features and entertainment, more overlap in scheduling, with more to see and do. Traditional dining times may work for traditional cruisers, but for those on the go who want to see and do it all, ATD is a better fit.

Opting for ATD and less than formal, but still acceptable, clothing doesn't make me steerage any more so than you opting for traditional dining and dressing to the nines makes you first class. We just have different preferences and how we enjoy them.

Perhaps you could also be glad that I have an option to do something on vacation that I enjoy?

I think it is great you feel that way and are enjoying yourselves to the max. I am very glad you have the option to do something on vacation that you enjoy.

But as time marches on it is becoming more of a minority position. People often cruise with family/extended family now and are sat together, or couples who want a 2-top table. Very frequent. New ships have more features and entertainment, more overlap in scheduling, with more to see and do. Traditional dining times may work for traditional cruisers, but for those on the go who want to see and do it all, ATD is a better fit.

Opting for ATD and less than formal, but still acceptable, clothing doesn't make me steerage any more so than you opting for traditional dining and dressing to the nines makes you first class. We just have different preferences and how we enjoy them.

Perhaps you could also be glad that I have an option to do something on vacation that I enjoy?

Aha but I was talking about ATD as that is what we do . You can still fit in an early dinner if you wish . Enjoy your cruise [emoji4] not everyone travels with family either . We have meet many couples and singles on their own. As I said it's not every night . I'm sure there will be a happy medium where by if you don't wish to go formal you can eat else where at a time that suits your busy schedule . Including room service we have had a lovely balcony dinner on out cruise I would recommend it . Also sabatinis and the specialty restaurant are also well worth a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by cuckoo32