Formal Dress policy

kingart55

Why do all you people have to complain about getting dressed, if you don't wish to dress in a formal mode at least occasionally, you are missing the whole point.

You can appear in public the rest of the year, as if you lived in a dumpster, but on a cruise you get to put on a new face,and maybe a different attitude,your shipmates are all strangers and then have no preconceived opinions of you.

We're just off a short Pacific Island cruise return Sydney. Lots of swimming and snokelling in tropical paradise locations during the day and wonderful meals at night. The passengers were mostly families - there were about 200 little kids and the same number of young teens - and many 20-30 something couples. It was the youngest group we've ever cruised with.

We mistakenly thought the dress rules would be more relaxed on this island holiday and my husband took a tan jacket rather than his dark suit. There were two formal nights and he felt positively underdressed! Every one of those young people had a suit or a good dark jacket, elegant gowns or chic cocktail dresses. Fabulous hairstyles, even corsages! And the children had suits or smart pants and shirts for the boys and wonderful sparkly tops or gorgeous party dresses for the young girls.

Even on non formal nights the MDR was full of people of all ages who'd taken the time to 'dress' for dinner.

It's worth considering that the younger generations want to embrace the traditions of the bygone era of cruising. Maybe we should listen to them and maintain the elegance?

What happens when traditional dining is booked solid and we are on a waiting list? Do we have to be relegated to available AT dining with the casual crowd? After all, there would not be enough room in one dining room for those that want to participate in dressing up.. There isn't enough room for traditional now.

That still doesn't present a problem. Dress as formally as you like. They'll seat you like all the rest of the people.

That still doesn't present a problem. Dress as formally as you like. They'll seat you like all the rest of the people.

Not on any Princess ship we've sailed on. We've seen people turned away from both formal nights and ordinary sea nights for inappropriate attire. Besides, you always have the right to sit wherever and with whomever you want with Anytime Dining. Choose Traditional and you're way up that creek without a paddle if you don't like the company.

Edited by wishfulone

Different cruise lines have different cultures and traditions.

Why don't the "pajamas, me-me-me" people just choose a more casual cruise line?

Agreed! I know before going on a cruise there will be formal nights and if I don't want to dress up I eat somewhere else. Why is this always such a big deal.

Why is it that anyone who prefers to dress casually is "all about me"? Aren't those who want everyone to dress formally also being "all about me"?

I think it's more about if there are formal nights, stop trying to buck the system. There are other venues for you to enjoy

Agreed! I know before going on a cruise there will be formal nights and if I don't want to dress up I eat somewhere else. Why is this always such a big deal.

I've paid for meals in the dining room and paid a service charge to go with it too. Are you offering to pay for my specialty dinner elsewhere?

Funny how the more they charge for a meal the less they care about you getting dressed up :rolleyes:

I think it's more about if there are formal nights, stop trying to buck the system. There are other venues for you to enjoy

Please tell me what special events Princess does that would coax me to dress up more than I wish to in order to have the service and food I've paid for?

You don't have to, there are other options for which you also paid.

The International Cafe for dinner? No.

The buffet? No, thank you.

Couldn't help but notice you didn't have an answer for the actual question. Just what makes formal night so special?

Edited by LMaxwell

I've paid for meals in the dining room and paid a service charge to go with it too. Are you offering to pay for my specialty dinner elsewhere?

Funny how the more they charge for a meal the less they care about you getting dressed up :rolleyes:

No charge for the buffet. Same great food. After all it is your cruise.

Here's a thought. Let Traditional diners take over one of the AT dining rooms for Traditional altogether, leaving one dining room for AT and no one would be wait listed for traditional. We could continue dressing for formal night and the AT casual crowd could wait in line with beepers for their dining room. Yeah, I like that idea. :D

According to the Celebrity poll, approximately 1/3 of cruisers want formal nights. Approximately 60% prefer smart casual. The rest don't care. One dining room should be more than sufficient.

I really think the reason those who prefer formal nights don't want to consider some compromise is the belief that if people, given a choice, will overwhelmingly reject formal nights exposing the myth that most people like to dress up.

The bottom line is this. The end result of dogmatic resistance to some form of compromise will result in no more formal nights. The choices are some of the loaf or none of the loaf.

Why do all you people have to complain about getting dressed, if you don't wish to dress in a formal mode at least occasionally, you are missing the whole point.

You can appear in public the rest of the year, as if you lived in a dumpster, but on a cruise you get to put on a new face,and maybe a different attitude,your shipmates are all strangers and then have no preconceived opinions of you.

You miss the point entirely. It's not only about getting dressed up. Can you explain the belief that some passengers have the right to dictate how others will dress in order to enhance their enjoyment?

You don't have to, there are other options for which you also paid.

If those options are so great, what would you think about having one formal night in the buffet? If you dress up, then you'll be denied access to the MDR and sent to the buffet. After all, you paid for the buffet too.

Edited by RocketMan275

If those options are so great, what would you think about having one formal night in the buffet? If you dress up, then you'll be denied access to the MDR and sent to the buffet. After all, you paid for the buffet too.

No no....They are good enough for us "dumpster" types to go to. Not good enough for them to go to.

Not sure why the idea of having a formal dining room and a casual dining room bothers so many people. That's everyone getting what they want. I just happen to think you'd have to allocate the majority of space to the casual dining room; something about a floating steel hotel in saltwater needing revenue yadda yadda.

Different cruise lines have different cultures and traditions.

Why don't the "pajamas, me-me-me" people just choose a more casual cruise line?

Why don't the must wear tux people just choose a more formal cruise line?

No no....They are good enough for us "dumpster" types to go to. Not good enough for them to go to.

Not sure why the idea of having a formal dining room and a casual dining room bothers so many people. That's everyone getting what they want. I just happen to think you'd have to allocate the majority of space to the casual dining room; something about a floating steel hotel in saltwater needing revenue yadda yadda.

I think there are at least two reasons why segregating the dining rooms is upsetting to some.

First, it would demonstrate whether formal dining is sufficiently popular to continue. Many would see such segregation as just another step towards anything goes.

Second, many are disturbed by the degradation of the dining experience. They believe that less formal dress leads to degraded food quality and service. They enjoyed the old rules where everyone dressed like the last evening on the Titanic. They do not wish to see that go away.

These are valid and heartfelt opinions and positions deserving of respect. Problem is, they are less and less popular.

What happens when traditional dining is booked solid and we are on a waiting list? Do we have to be relegated to available AT dining with the casual crowd? After all, there would not be enough room in one dining room for those that want to participate in dressing up.. There isn't enough room for traditional now.

To answer your question if you are relegated to ADR you can still wear your formal attire if you want. No ne would stop you BUY there would be others not dressed in formsl attire.

Here's a thought. Let Traditional diners take over one of the AT dining rooms for Traditional altogether, leaving one dining room for AT and no one would be wait listed for traditional. We could continue dressing for formal night and the AT casual crowd could wait in line with beepers for their dining room. Yeah, I like that idea. :D

Reverse it and many others would like it. Why is it a problem if Traditional Diners have to wait a little.

If you don't like the idea of segregating dining into formal and other dress venues, what is your opinion regarding this compromise?

Dress code and the MDR.

On cruise of six or more days, there will be three allowed styles of dress in the MDR.

On at least two evenings, Princess will celebrate Regal Evenings in the MDR.

Women should feel comfortable wearing:

- A cocktail dress

- Skirt, pants or designer jeans with an elegant top.

Men should feel comfortable wearing:

- Pants or designer jeans with a dress shirt, button-down shirt or sweater

- Optional sport coat or blazer.

Regal Evenings are an opportunity for you to get glamorous and be sophisticated in your own way. If you would like to still wear a tuxedo or formal gown on Regal Evenings, you absolutely should.

Smart Casual attire can be enjoyed every other night of your cruise.

Women should feel comfortable wearing: Skirt, pants or jeans with a casual top.

Men should feel comfortable wearing: Pants or jeans with a collared sport shirt that has sleeves

The first and last evenings will feature a more relaxed dress to accommodate late arriving baggage and those who need to pack early in preparation for debarkation. Shorts and collarless shirts will be allowed on these evenings. The matre'd may refuse entry when, in his opinion, clothing is inappropriate.

Note: T-shirts (short sleeved shirts without collars), swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Faded jeans or those with rips and tears are never allowed in the MDR. Shorts and flip flops are not allowed in the evening hours.

Casual clothing is always allowed in the casual dining areas.

Edited by RocketMan275

I think there are at least two reasons why segregating the dining rooms is upsetting to some.

First, it would demonstrate whether formal dining is sufficiently popular to continue. Many would see such segregation as just another step towards anything goes.

Second, many are disturbed by the degradation of the dining experience. They believe that less formal dress leads to degraded food quality and service. They enjoyed the old rules where everyone dressed like the last evening on the Titanic. They do not wish to see that go away.

These are valid and heartfelt opinions and positions deserving of respect. Problem is, they are less and less popular.

If they can fill one out of 3 dining rooms enough to justify it operating, it would seem "formal" dining would continue. So I don't see the problem. In fact, if billed a formal dining room you will have a higher participation rate in that room than the current scatter shot going on. I would think this is a bonus.

I place degradation of the dining experience solely at the foot of the cruise line. Not saying you are saying this or directing it at you, but anyone who says Princess, or any cruise line, delivers less of an experience because I'm in dockers and a golf shirt is just foolish. The cruise line specs the events, features, amenities, food quality, preparation, and presentation. If they don't want to be bothered to offer a premium experience (because they have upcharge restaurants to fill) I'm not necessarily going to be down for the optional dressing up. Could be, but as time goes on less and less likely.

If the specialty restaurants were mandatory formal dress they would be ghost towns.

For those who say they never get a chance to dress up at home and only do so on a cruise; why? Not only why, but why is that even my problem or concern? Go get dressed up this weekend and go out and have a blast. I'm not stopping you. No one is except yourselves. If it helps, post your home address and I will mail a letter that says "Tonight is formal night" and then you'll know.

:D

Even when you offer the pro-formal night people reasonable options, like their own dining room, they balk. When you ask them what is so special about formal night, they refuse to answer and say go to the buffet. When you say you don't feel like wearing a suit they think you will skip the shower and crawl out of your dumpster to eat with your bare hands. There is some serious disconnect going on there. Can't figure it out. It's almost as if they only want things THEIR way only and are inconsiderate of others or unable to accept any changes. Isn't that the definition of me me me?

If you don't like the idea of segregating dining into formal and other dress venues, what is your opinion regarding this compromise?

Dress code and the MDR.

On cruise of six or more days, there will be three allowed styles of dress in the MDR.

On at least two evenings, Princess will celebrate Regal Evenings in the MDR.

Women should feel comfortable wearing:

- A cocktail dress

- Skirt, pants or designer jeans with an elegant top.

Men should feel comfortable wearing:

- Pants or designer jeans with a dress shirt, button-down shirt or sweater

- Optional sport coat or blazer.

Regal Evenings are an opportunity for you to get glamorous and be sophisticated in your own way. If you would like to still wear a tuxedo or formal gown on Regal Evenings, you absolutely should.

Smart Casual attire can be enjoyed every other night of your cruise.

Women should feel comfortable wearing: Skirt, pants or jeans with a casual top.

Men should feel comfortable wearing: Pants or jeans with a collared sport shirt that has sleeves

The first and last evenings will feature a more relaxed dress to accommodate late arriving baggage and those who need to pack early in preparation for debarkation. Shorts and collarless shirts will be allowed on these evenings. The matre'd may refuse entry when, in his opinion, clothing is inappropriate.

Note: T-shirts (short sleeved shirts without collars), swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Faded jeans or those with rips and tears are never allowed in the MDR. Shorts and flip flops are not allowed in the evening hours.

Casual clothing is always allowed in the casual dining areas.

A good mash up of Holland America, Celebrity, and the LMaxwell Regal Evening© title. Approved.

You miss the point entirely. It's not only about getting dressed up. Can you explain the belief that some passengers have the right to dictate how others will dress in order to enhance their enjoyment?

Vice versa! Right back atcha! Which came first the chicken or the egg? Who is requesting you follow the dress plan for the comfort and enjoyment of fellow cruisers?

Oh yeah, Princess! Who is repeating Princess requests. Respectful cruisers that follow it. Who is trying to null and void it? The Me me me crowd. I paid for this cruise and I have a right to do what ever I want crowd. Excuse me, crowd is not the proper word. I really mean the small portion of CC that represents the votes in any poll. :D

No matter what Princess decides to do, there will be a dress up night that will make the underdressed feel uncomfortable. But it will put an end to the games played here every week. :D

[/b]

Vice versa! Right back atcha! Which came first the chicken or the egg? Who is requesting you follow the dress plan for the comfort and enjoyment of fellow cruisers?

Oh yeah, Princess! Who is repeating Princess requests. Respectful cruisers that follow it. Who is trying to null and void it? The Me me me crowd. I paid for this cruise and I have a right to do what ever I want crowd. Excuse me, crowd is not the proper word. I really mean the small portion of CC that represents the votes in any poll. :D

No matter what Princess decides to do, there will be a dress up night that will make the underdressed feel uncomfortable. But it will put an end to the games played here every week. :D

I don't feel under-dressed or uncomfortable but if you want to pay for me to go to a specialty restaurant I accept.