Rum that we wont drink on board

CruiseMacKenzie

My husband has a favourite rum he cant buy in Canada but can and will buy in Miami before our cruise. He is not planning on drinking it on board but bringing it home (for the rest of the long winter). Does anyone have experience bringing it onboard and for them to hold it as opposed to confiscating it. If you bring it on in a port they say they will return it your last night but it also says if you bring it on at boarding it is confiscated and not returned.

Thanks

Do you know if the rum is available on the ship? If so you could purchase it on board.

My DH found a unique bottle of Crown Royal in Alaska on our pre cruise land trip. We went through security with it and the guard directed us to take it to the "guy sitting at the table" The guy was sleeping and we just walked right past him, not wanting to disturb his nap. They might be more diligent in Miami however. If you are upfront about the purchase and not trying to disguise it, they would probably return it to you at the end of the cruise.

I would be reluctant to purchase it pre-cruise in Miami based on the info Celebrity provides. I'm assuming you don't have time post-cruise or you wouldn't be asking. Is this rum something you might find on one of your port stops? Then, there clearly is a table set up at each port to collect and tag booze purchased in each port.

Love rum, curious minds.....please share the brand name. Plus someone might know if they've seen it in a port.

Lets hope for sleeping security!!! He cant purchase it on board or in any of the ports. Oh he has researched it! Its called Ron del Barrilito from Puerto Rico....reason why he loves cruising from San Juan...so much easier to stock the shelves. That is where he discovered it the first time. Closest place to home to find it is near Boston which is still a 12 hour drive!

Interesting problem. I presume it is not sold in Canada. It is available in about 35 states including all the Total Wine and Liquor Stores. There is one near the Cruiseport in FLL (I know San Juan).

I have had security take liquor and simply hold it until the last day of the cruise. Be sure to remember the packing for it to go as checked luggage. Their bottles sure look fragile!

If you bring it on in a port they say they will return it your last night but it also says if you bring it on at boarding it is confiscated and not returned. Thanks

Have you thought about getting the store to ship it to your home so you do not have to mess with it? :)

Every confiscated item is returned by the end of the cruise. Why should they keep it? You could have traveled for a while and bought stuff prior to your cruise which you´re not allowed to take into your cabin. Of course they have to take it and keep it for you.

We once bought rum in Nassau and turned it it. Got it back the night before debarkation. Two days later we boarded another ship and had the bottle in our carry on ready to give it to security. Hmm, we never saw the table and security didn´t say a word when the bag was x-rayed. So we had the bottle in our cabin (no, we didn´t open it until we returned back home).

steamboats

I would just be up front about the purchase and that you want it held for post-cruise, just like they do for all the liquor you buy in the ports. Although this isn't scientific, my guess is the "may be confiscated" might apply to cover their butts if they've got someone bringing things that might not be up to local law, safe to transport, or open containers. Things that are in a retail package and sealed properly should be fine, esp. when you're on the up and up about it. RdB also shouldn't be a terribly expensive rum (unlike some other liquors), so you're not risking nearly as much either.

Great taste in rum btw. That's what I brought home from my last cruise, even after tasting 30+ year old rum in Martinique. I encourage your DW to try (and consider bringing home) the Mount Gay XO rum if you can find it at a good price point. I got it in Barbados for about 1/2 the cost at home and well worth it (750 mL at home runs >$50, if you're lucky enough to find it). Another one I suggest looking for is Foursquare spiced rum. I originally saw it in the little minis at the cruise ports and assumed it was just a cheapo brand for tourists to sneak back aboard... boy was I mistaken. It's a great non-premium bajan rum that's a fantastic spiced rum (much more delicate and balanced than a lot of the mass market brands) that's nearly impossible to find without resorting to an internet store.

Edited by jb008

Lets hope for sleeping security!!! He cant purchase it on board or in any of the ports. Oh he has researched it! Its called Ron del Barrilito from Puerto Rico....reason why he loves cruising from San Juan...so much easier to stock the shelves. That is where he discovered it the first time. Closest place to home to find it is near Boston which is still a 12 hour drive!

I work with someone who is from Puerto Rico and he highly recommended this rum. I have never been able to find it. Second recommendation is Barbencourt from Haiti. Although, we did the rum tasting at Barcardi on our last cruise and the hand bottled reserve was excellent. However, at $156 a bottle, it was a bit pricey!

I thought if it was an unopened bottle of anything they would return it to you at the end of the cruise. Maybe I am thinking of Carnival's policy but I assumed other cruiselines would be the same. I know they have rules but it doesn't seem right for them to just keep all the liquor they find. What do they do with it?

We leave Saturday so I will post back as to how he makes out and see if I can convince him to try anything else!!

Texted...would love to ship it back but the duty/taxes we would pay to our lovely Canadian government would be equivalent to a world cruise!!!

Thanks folks.

Hope OP gets brand of choice...

They usually have Bacardi, Ron Rico, Capt Morgan, Meyers, and other rums in the ship's duty free store...for good prices..they will deliv to you night before departure.. well packed.

Not sure what you can take home to Canada duty free...I think folks from US can take home 5 litres from US Virgin Isl...not sure abt PR

We like Appleton's Jamaican, and esp Brinkey Gold St Kitts, hard to find in U S

Edited by hcat

Great taste in rum btw. That's what I brought home from my last cruise, even after tasting 30+ year old rum in Martinique. I encourage your DW to try (and consider bringing home) the Mount Gay XO rum if you can find it at a good price point. I got it in Barbados for about 1/2 the cost at home and well worth it (750 mL at home runs >$50, if you're lucky enough to find it). Another one I suggest looking for is Foursquare spiced rum. I originally saw it in the little minis at the cruise ports and assumed it was just a cheapo brand for tourists to sneak back aboard... boy was I mistaken. It's a great non-premium bajan rum that's a fantastic spiced rum (much more delicate and balanced than a lot of the mass market brands) that's nearly impossible to find without resorting to an internet store.

Hope OP gets brand of choice...

We like Appleton's Jamaican, and esp Brinkey Gold St Kitts, hard to find in U S

Thank you for the rum suggestions! Now I have my shopping list for my next Caribbean cruise in March.

I work with someone who is from Puerto Rico and he highly recommended this rum. I have never been able to find it. Second recommendation is Barbencourt from Haiti. Although, we did the rum tasting at Barcardi on our last cruise and the hand bottled reserve was excellent. However, at $156 a bottle, it was a bit pricey!

It is sold at several stores in Arizona and California. Total will order it in here.