Anthem of the Seas - "Riding the Storm Out"

AdvGirl

Glad you are safe and I agree with the gratitude of posting and keeping it factual and calm. Our last cruise in December was the windiest cruise and we were high up and all of the way forward so we rocked.......a lot. In fact first time our middle son has ever been sea sick. It must have been scary at moments. Hopefully you can reschedule another cruise. I am sorry you didn't get a vacation.

I wonder how/if they're going to do a proper assessment of any structural damage.

Ideally they would dry dock her and take a look underneath, but clearly that's not going to happen.

Next best would be to get some divers down there in clearer, warmer waters, but that's not going to happen in the cold murky waters in NJ.

So how have they properly assessed damage?

It wouldn't stop me from cruising at all, but somewhere in the back of my mind would be this concern.

Cosmetic damage is one thing, but I'd love to know how they can confidently say that was the only damage.

Just because water isn't coming in now, doesn't mean that something wasn't compromised and that it won't lead to problems later.

I havent sailed RCCL in 22 years- I am glad everyone is home safe and felt awful about what people went through as I know when I go on a cruise its booked far in advance, and you have additional expenses beyond the cruise itself as well as time off etc..

My only wish would be that they would have given everyone on board a free cruise for next time.

I havent sailed RCCL in 22 years- I am glad everyone is home safe and felt awful about what people went through as I know when I go on a cruise its booked far in advance, and you have additional expenses beyond the cruise itself as well as time off etc..

My only wish would be that they would have given everyone on board a free cruise for next time.

Agree..back in the day...as a friend to a TA that now is in her seventies and almost only luxury level personal travel, still in sales and often did/does groups...this is what the tale always was. 100% refund on troubled cruise and 100% OFF new cruise.

Edited by sjn911

They pretty much have a free cruise next time since they are getting 100% refunds. And 50% off. So they can do 2 cruises for a big discount or one cruise and really upgrade themselves.

The 100% refund covers this one as they didn't get much of a cruise this time. Shorter duration than booked, didn't visit any ports, and spent a lot of time indoors.

They pretty much have a free cruise next time since they are getting 100% refunds. And 50% off. So they can do 2 cruises for a big discount or one cruise and really upgrade themselves.

Ok let's do the math: (I will make up numbers that make the math easy - they are close though)

Original cruise 750 per person plus port fees of $250 per person. Total Cruise Cost $2000

Travel to cruise port by air. $350 Per person or $700

Hotel stay day before cruise $100 plus dinner for two $50. Grand total $150

Transportation to airport and parking for 6 days $150

Grand total for free cruise $3000 - 2000 cruise refund to arive in 4 to 6 weeks or $1000

Other expenses - flight change fee $400 to fly back early - still up in the air if it will be refunded. Let's assume it does so we are still at a free cruise cost of $1000

Cancel cruise expenses not refunded. drinks, extra cost meals, on board purchases $300

So right now the free cruise cost $1300

Let's book a new cruise - same cost.

$2000 including port fees minus 50% of the cost of cruise minus port charges or $750. So next cruise will cost $1250. Now let's add in another flight, hotel and dinner and parking and transportation for a total of $1000

So the grand total cost of a good cruise one with no severe storms and some ports will be $1250 plus cost of free cruise $1300 plus transportation and parking and hotel and dinner for another $1000. So my next real cruise will cost $3550 compared to the cost of my original cruise of $3000.

A 100% free next cruise would of helped by reducing the cost by $1250 or total cruise cost of $2300 with free second cruise. Transportation and Loding make the math look much less attractive then our instincts. Reality can be a downer. :eek:

Ok let's do the math: (I will make up numbers that make the math easy - they are close though)

Original cruise 750 per person plus port fees of $250 per person. Total Cruise Cost $2000

Travel to cruise port by air. $350 Per person or $700

Hotel stay day before cruise $100 plus dinner for two $50. Grand total $150

Transportation to airport and parking for 6 days $150

Grand total for free cruise $3000 - 2000 cruise refund to arive in 4 to 6 weeks or $1000

Other expenses - flight change fee $400 to fly back early - still up in the air if it will be refunded. Let's assume it does so we are still at a free cruise cost of $1000

Cancel cruise expenses not refunded. drinks, extra cost meals, on board purchases $300

So right now the free cruise cost $1300

Let's book a new cruise - same cost.

$2000 including port fees minus 50% of the cost of cruise minus port charges or $750. So next cruise will cost $1250. Now let's add in another flight, hotel and dinner and parking and transportation for a total of $1000

So the grand total cost of a good cruise one with no severe storms and some ports will be $1250 plus cost of free cruise $1300 plus transportation and parking and hotel and dinner for another $1000. So my next real cruise will cost $3550 compared to the cost of my original cruise of $3000.

A 100% free next cruise would of helped by reducing the cost by $1250 or total cruise cost of $2300 with free second cruise. Transportation and Loding make the math look much less attractive then our instincts. Reality can be a downer. :eek:

I am good at math, and you made my head hurt.

JC

Um, no, they are getting a future cruise for 50% of what they paid for this one. The fact that they are getting a refund for this cruise just means that they'll have money they would have had if they'd never taken this "cruise." It doesn't make the next cruise "pretty much free." They still will have to pay for half of it.

But if you drove to the cruise port you're only out the gas and tolls. :) I think my on board bill was about $100 per person. So I'd say we paid $250 for our free cruise. . But yea those who flew aren't as lucky, so results may vary

But if you drove to the cruise port you're only out the gas and tolls. :) I think my on board bill was about $100 per person. So I'd say we paid $250 for our free cruise. . But yea those who flew aren't as lucky, so results may vary

Yep in today's world sometimes getting to a cruise can be almost as much as the cruise for those not lucky enough to be able to drive.

People without thinking assume this is like a free cruise - well depending on how you got there and what you have to do to get back - it is far from free if you plan on having a do over.

Yep in today's world sometimes getting to a cruise can be almost as much as the cruise for those not lucky enough to be able to drive.

And easily more for those travelling internationally.

Certainly my experience on my last cruise, and I wouldn't be surprised if there was a decent number here as well.

My travel, park and bus etc. and room before is equal or more than my past couple of 4 or 5 day cruises. Montana to California...always a long stop in Denver or Salt Lake..and that is before adding a day or 2 for me..solo inside cabins with Carnival last 2 times. Mexican Riviera.

Edited by sjn911