Anthem of the Seas - "Riding the Storm Out"

AdvGirl

Please allow me to add my thanks to all of the above posters….i was riveted by your report. If not an author, you should be!

i usually hang out on the princess board ,but came here to look for information after seeing news reports here in Florida.

Your words about the so called "experts" responding to your post was so very accurate…

Any chance your captain was a Brit?

Although certainly NOT even close to the harrowing experience you just went through,last November we were at sea on our way to Hawaii on a princess ship. In the middle of the night there was a fire in the engine area of the ship and the vessel had lost power. The news was immediately delivered at 0300 hours over the loud speaker by our captain as events were unfolding.

The captain was from Great Britain…i found his British accent incredibly comforting ,and ,through his voice and words he radiated professionalism and competence. I immediately reached for my ever ready emergency flashlight and reassured myself that my roll of emergency duct tape was close by.

He is still my all time favorite captain!

thanks again for your outstanding post, and have a safe trip home.

Like the previous poster I hang on the Princess boards. I came over here to look for posts related to Anthem. All I can say is.........OMG!!! That post from the person onboard was scary! I can not even begin to imagine what the crew and passengers experienced.

I am very happy that everyone is OK. The folks that were on the cruise have great stories they can tell for the rest of their lives about their incredible trip!

Edited by spingal

He's Norwegian, so not renowned for being outwardly emotional.

If it helps I'm English, well half Scottish actually so generally have a calm demeanour and not prown to dramatics in situations like this.

I am opening this thread for anyone on the Feb 6th Anthem of the Seas cruise to post any of there Storm thoughts pictures or videos. We all went through the something most of us will never forget. Let's save this moments and thoughts here.

Can we all agree that this is a post for people who are on the Anthem to share stories and pictures?

Perhaps you all can open a thread about Muster stations, life vests and whether or not the captain should have sailed through the storm. Its frustrating for those of us who want to hear the stories and see the pictures to have to weed through all the nonsense.

Does anyone agree?

Posting from deck 8 portside. While it was easily the roughest weather my wife and I have been in, the ship weathered it well. Gusts were almost 140 knots and waves 26+ feet. I can see how novice cruisers and/or people with health/age issues had it rough, and I certainly wouldn't have enjoyed trying to soothe children for 10 hours in a cabin. But, no, the waves were NOT going over the ship; I'd be shocked if one even got to the promenade on deck 5. We did NOT list 45 degrees; the ship seemed to stay in a 5-15 degree cant to starboard, occasionally maybe tilting more than that. I was certainly nervous that the ship couldn't make any headway, but I didn't think sinking was imminent. The only thing I feared was engine failure, as getting sideways in that weather could've lead to flooding. I think its hard to sink a modern ship like this, barring a rogue wave (and, who knows, a modern ship might just bob up like a cork). Lifeboats were out of the question; you wouldn't even have been able to lower one. I won't get into the weather debate, except to say I'm pretty sure no captain or company would willingly take a billion dollar ship with thousands of people aboard into a megastorm; they clearly expected 50-70 knot winds, not 130+.

After hearing about this on the nightly news, I decided to come over to this forum and see what it was really like (I'm usually on river cruises and have my second cruise next month to the Caribbean)...

Miopyk: what a fantastic account you gave...I could almost feel my kitchen chair moving....I don't think there's enough drugs on the planet that would have kept me from being absolutely terrified by what you experienced! I also heard the captain's interview and totally agree that Mother Nature is a fickle mistress. Too many times we've been under the gun with storms like Sandy, and the snow storm 10 days ago that was supposed to be 4-6" and turned out to be 28 and we understand how easy it is to rely on the professionals with all their technology only to discover that technology isn't perfect and s--- most certainly does happen!!

To the other posters on this forum: I have read this thread from beginning to end....most of you gave thoughtful and supportive posts....and some of you should be ashamed of yourselves for your thoughtlessness. I'm going back to river cruises now the seas and the posters are a lot more friendly.

Can we all agree that this is a post for people who are on the Anthem to share stories and pictures?

Perhaps you all can open a thread about Muster stations, life vests and whether or not the captain should have sailed through the storm. Its frustrating for those of us who want to hear the stories and see the pictures to have to weed through all the nonsense.

Does anyone agree?

True, but have we seen any pictures yet. I don't recall

Does anyone agree?

Perhaps you should ask Cruise Critic if they agree with you…they apparently merged your post with the one we responded to directly …. Miopyk….My Anthem Experience..

According to the roll call, when they dock is becoming very frustrating to those onboard trying to make flight arrangements. Communication seems to be lacking.

I can see that being a problem. I wonder what management suggested as a timeframe for rebooking flights

According to the roll call, when they dock is becoming very frustrating to those onboard trying to make flight arrangements. Communication seems to be lacking.

Cape Liberty is an industrial port and a very busy one at that. We're not talking about a parking lot where you can just drive up, park and let people out of the car!:D Anthem is arriving 3 days early, so lots of things have to be shuffled around to accommodate her and all this takes time.

RCI should have told those that were flying to try and change their flights to Thursday and then put them up in hotels Wednesday night. Flight change fees can be as much as booking a flight.:eek:

Yeah all we were told was that there would be no assistance in changing flights, no hotels provided, and we could use the free wifi to change our travel arrangements. So of course I followed their instructions to book a flight after 12pm tomorrow (at a cost of $500 out of pocket). And now I'm hearing from the grapevine that we won't get in until approximately 7pm (unconfirmed at this time!).

I just bumped into Abe, the Cruise Director, and he said "yup sometime tomorrow evening" and that I should visit guest services if I need to change my flight again because clearly we were "misinformed" (exactly his words).

I'm just staying put right now waiting for the next update before changing my new flight... I also still have my original flight on Saturday if need be.

Cape Liberty is an industrial port and a very busy one at that. We're not talking about a parking lot where you can just drive up, park and let people out of the car!:D Anthem is arriving 3 days early, so lots of things have to be shuffled around to accommodate her and all this takes time.

:

That is exactly why the passengers shouldn't have been told 6am Wednesday. I am assuming RCCL knew this port was not like pulling into a parking lot.