Anthem of the Seas - "Riding the Storm Out"

AdvGirl

It is easy to Monday morning quarterback any decision. In this case the capitain was watching the storm very closely. At 10am they made plans to go around the system or skirt it. All predictions at that point where for much less then we actually got. The captain said he had never experienced a storm intensify as fast as this storm did. He had and interview with the cruise director and said that at one point the winds were almost 180mph. I think everyone was surprised by the intensity and speed of this storm. So I will give them a pass - I think Mother Nature through the Anthem a Curve Ball and luckily the Capt was able to bunt.

The only bad thing for some of us that flew to New Jersey, is we now have rebook our flights home, or hotel it for three days until our normal departure. I think I will try and rebook and see what my travel insurance will do to help off set the cost of canceled trip.

Yea, I expect the lawyers will be waiting at the port....glad all are safe, things happen. I am quite sure they would not have sailed that ship if they expected anything like this could happen. And if they hadn't, there would be people complaining they didn't go. Sometimes, you can't win! Again, glad you are all safe!

I am opening this thread for anyone on the Feb 6th Anthem of the Seas cruise to post any of there Storm thoughts pictures or videos. We all went through the something most of us will never forget. Let's save this moments and thoughts here.

so glad everyone is safe. wishing you a safe return home.

I am not on the ship and have a question for those of you who are.

I heard on the news in Baltimore that the ship was returning to New Jersey. But then a co-worker told me her husband's boss is on the ship and that they are going to Florida and getting a different ship to return to NJ.

Curious about what is really happening.

(That other thread is too long and moving too fast. I can't keep up.)

I am not on the ship and have a question for those of you who are.

I heard on the news in Baltimore that the ship was returning to New Jersey. But then a co-worker told me her husband's boss is on the ship and that they are going to Florida and getting a different ship to return to NJ.

Curious about what is really happening.

(That other thread is too long and moving too fast. I can't keep up.)

A different ship? That's highly unlikely. Not like they have one just sitting around

I wouldn't want this experience for any refund or FCC amount.. Ship shouldn't have sailed into this storm with all predictions since last Friday...

Glad nobody got hurt.

We were in bad seas, Friday, but with following seas. Yesterday's seas were off the side seas making the ship list; listing caused alot of damage to stuff not properly secured. No loss that time and money can't fix - wonder if the 2/13 sailing will go?

OK, riddle me this, was his remark to the OP necessary ?? If you gonna dish it out you have to take it. A few of the posters on here seem to think their views are the only ones that matter and bully others who post. In this particular case, a cruiser started a thread, something they are entitled to do....regardless if it does not pass the Bob and Carol apprentice moderator test.

Is there a LIKE button??

OK, riddle me this, was his remark to the OP necessary ?? If you gonna dish it out you have to take it. A few of the posters on here seem to think their views are the only ones that matter and bully others who post. In this particular case, a cruiser started a thread, something they are entitled to do....regardless if it does not pass the Bob and Carol apprentice moderator test.

Agreed, seemed very equivalent. To those challenging rolloman, neither remark was "necessary."

I am opening this thread for anyone on the Feb 6th Anthem of the Seas cruise to post any of there Storm thoughts pictures or videos. We all went through the something most of us will never forget. Let's save this moments and thoughts here.

so, getting back to the original topic, i was wondering if any one had other pics or video that they were agreeable to sharing? Perhaps when they get back. Glad y'all are safe and well.

There have been no reports of mustering, and I assure you that if they HAD gone to their stations, someone would have posted that.

Maybe reconfirming their mustering stations would have been ok. But unless the ship was sinking there would be no way they would put passengers in those small boats, set them out in those stormy waters and not be guilty of downing them all. The safest place was exactly where they were told to go....their cabins.

Maybe reconfirming their mustering stations would have been ok. But unless the ship was sinking there would be no way they would put passengers in those small boats, set them out in those stormy waters and not be guilty of downing them all. The safest place was exactly where they were told to go....their cabins.

Isn't that where all those schoolchildren died on that Japanese ferry?

Having spent literally years at sea, the biggest fear I have cruising today is the panic by passengers during an event. So far it seems the crew did an outstanding job protecting everyone, by keeping them calm as well as minimizing injuries.

However I must say some of the questions, comments, suggestions made by certain posters are simply amazing and illogical. For instance, there was no need to worry about life vests or muster stations during this event. The safest place was on this ship, period. Simply put, any decision of leaving the ship via life vest or lifeboat would have resulted in death. Thank goodness the passengers on this voyage listened to their captain, stayed calm and made it through the event. They now have a sea story to tell which could make any crusty old sailor cringe.

This sounds like it was a cruise night mare. So glad everyone is ok.

I sailed out of Bayonne hours before Sandy hit a few years ago. After seeing the pictures of the damage, I think we got off easy with Sandy.

There seems to be so much more damage with this storm, and now with another coming, I know I would want off the ship.

Yes, I had a great story to tell, but after getting off the ship it was much worse on land.

To all those on the ship, I am sure no words can really express how you felt while riding out the storm.

We were in bad seas' date=' Friday, but with following seas. Yesterday's seas were off the side seas making the ship list; listing caused alot of damage to stuff not properly secured. No loss that time and money can't fix - wonder if the 2/13 sailing will go?[/quote']

Me too! I am scheduled for it.

Hi Folks

As an ex Royal Navy Man I just must have a a say :D

The Ship had a "dusting" fair enough , it was never in danger and has suffered nothing in the way of major damage , it could sail around the world right now.

Passengers were uncomfortable I agree , but were safe enough inside the ship in their cabins .

The last thing in the world you would want to do is evacuate the ship .. lifeboats are the last resort ....

Passengers were far better off raiding their free minibars :D

If you go down to the sea in ships sometimes the great waters resent this ..

You were uncomfortable , frighted , but you were never in an real danger.

How many lifeboats were washed overboard ... none ...

I suggest you all read "Tramps and Ladies" by Sir James Bissett commodore of the Cunard line, you will find some comparisons of interest

https://archive.org/details/trampsandladies006561mbp

regards

john

Edited by VK3DQ

A very good article by one of your fellow passengers who happens to be an editor for the Detroit Free Press. Pretty harrowing stuff!

http://www.freep.com/story/opinion/columnists/robert-huschka/2016/02/08/free-press-editor-cruise-ship/80021010/

Wow! So glad the sea has calm. Bless the crew for taking care of the passengers.

Our TA is speaking with Royal Caribbean this morning to see what they have to say about the status of our upcoming cruise. I hope they are honest as it would be nice to have time to make alternate plans if it is going to take more time for the ship to be put back together. Depending on the outcome of the investigation maybe we will be lucky enough to have a different captain too.

Our TA is speaking with Royal Caribbean this morning to see what they have to say about the status of our upcoming cruise. I hope they are honest as it would be nice to have time to make alternate plans if it is going to take more time for the ship to be put back together. Depending on the outcome of the investigation maybe we will be lucky enough to have a different captain too.

How in the world can officials give an answer when the ship has not even returned and been inspected?:eek: As for your cruise, it's a month away, so I'll unofficially give it a "go".

You'll be fine. Don't give up that suite just yet

I'm on the February 21 sailing of the Anthem and I hope that captain is in charge of my cruise! I think the captain and crew did a fantastic job dealing with one of Mother Nature's surprises. A few weeks ago, the news predicted 1 to 3 inches of snow for my area and we actually 20 inches! Weather reports and predictions are not always spot on. The captain, the crew, and the passengers deserve a round of applause for a job well done.