Anthem of the Seas - "Riding the Storm Out"

AdvGirl

Thank you for the information in a clear and concise report.

What a tale to tell in the future.

We survived the Drake Shake with 23 foot seas on the Zaandam, and this is our best cruise with Antarctica and south America.

This will not be your best cruise but always remembered.

There is a lot of compassion expressed for the passengers and crew of the Anthem on this notice board.

Rest up relax and back to cruising when you are ready!

Miopky

You left out an important piece of info in your story. You said that " and so the mini bar was free ", and I want to know how much you had? If I was sitting in your cabin hearing what your were being told and seeing what was happening, and feeling the ship rock as you did, there wouldn't have been a single bottle of anything alcoholic left from that mini-bar.

I had a Diet Coke and 2 bottles of water. Wanted to keep a level head in case it was needed later on.

Thank you so much for your well-written, well thought-out account. I too felt like I was reading some kind of novel!

Kudos to the captain for admitting he didn't want to put his guests through yet another storm.

I know it's not the vacation you planned for, but what a story you have to tell!

I'm glad you and your wife made it through the night... when I read the part about her taking some sleep meds, I couldn't help but think "That's what I would've done!"

Safe travels in your future!

Ann

They will not replace the captain if they are able to sail Saturday. There are a limited number of people who are rated to captain this class of ship.

I would be very surprised if the onboard staff did not have full status report already prepared for the onboard damage, down to the number of plates and glasses that need to be replaced. There will be divers ready to inspect the hull at Cape Liberty if that is deemed necessary.

I will be interested to hear from those onboard how much has already been repaired before they even return.

I had a Diet Coke and 2 bottles of water. Wanted to keep a level head in case it was needed later on.

I would have wanted to take a few dramamine and a shot of vodka and knock myself out, but then if I did that, what if we needed to evacuate or something? Sounds like you did a great job of weathering the storm.

Thank you for your very well written account of what happened.

Thank goodness, I was getting concerned that it had been over an hour since tha last new "Anthem Storm" thread had been created.:eek: I thought CC was malfunctioning!

Hey Bob!!!! Thanks for putting some humor on this today. My tongue hurts from biting it and really trying to restrain from some of the posts made these past few days from the quarterback club. Until you have rode down the east into one of these many beast storms like we have on the Explorer, ehhh just shaking my head. I think the last ride out of Bayonne in the winter was the blizzard coming into the area as we drove in snow to the port and Capt Ryan got permission to leave early as another low was coming in and he rode us down the middle of the lows..Newark airport was closing and about 600 folks missed flights tho we saw them waiting for us in San Juan..our daughter was in the aft with our gang of honeymooners and friends and family and we were midship and she slept in our cabin for three days. Over 100 mph winds and water up over the pools but nothing like what this ship experienced. Nothing can be done when these storms explode. We said no more...San Juan or Florida departures for the winter whether we fly or drive to the port. No one is talking about the Carnival Pride that left the next day. Missing the Adventure this year and leaving out on the Serenade again on Monday. Hope all is well with you and say hi to the Mrs. Thanks again for all the great info you give us. Take care!

Thank you, Miopyk, for your well-written first-hand account of the events. Thanks for taking the time to share so much with all of us. What a great attitude you have about the whole thing! May all your future holidays be carefree and completely un-scary!:)

Isn't that where all those schoolchildren died on that Japanese ferry?

I'm not familiar with that insident but knowing the history of some of these ferry insidents in these countries tells me probably thet were overloaded and common sense will tell you that they did not have the saftey rules we have on our cruise ships and curcial intructions to abandon ship or stay aboard until further notice.. Did you by any chance k find out all the details of this tragedy? I still would take may chances on a big ship, not sinking than I would in one of those small boats in the seas they were expieriencing.

Thanks for posting your experience. Although many have posted here that this was a sudden storm etc, NOAA had warnings up since Thursday of extremely bad weather so I'm not sure why anyone at RCI was not aware of this???? I do like a sea Captain that knows what the weather conditions are going to be.

Zip it.

Not surprised.

Your informative, well-written and "level headed" original post is very much appreciated.

We are on the 12N 3/27 and my wife has been (since Sunday night) anxious (let's say). She read your post and felt a bit better. I also promised that, when we are in Bayonne on the 26th, if the weather 'doesn't look safe "we aren't going." Not insured, but I'm not really dying to go on a cruise in anything that might approach a 'noreaster. That also seemed to make her more comfortable knowing we can 'opt out.

Also, we are so glad only about 4 people (what I've read so far) got minor injuries, considering there are 4,000-4,500 passengers alone. It is amazing that more weren't hurt (cut) from the broken glass and glasses.

Your attitude is admirable.

Thank you.

Quick update, having just had a walk around outside we realise the piece of heavy equipment is actually a radar or weather instrument as a second pod has disappeared from the back of the ship. We didn't notice that before.

Thanks for the kind words. We're happy to be on our way back to NYC.

TI'm now starting to get worried. I've been on a ferry in the North Sea in bad weather in the winter and this was much worse.s.

Thanks, Maybe I've watched too many old movies, but seemed really descriptive.

I would like to ask that this thread be kept for what it was intended, riding out the storm. Please don't post here unless you were on the ship so this does not get ugly and over 80 pages like the other thread.

Then those of us interested in their accounts can read it concisely and stress free. I will not post on this thread again since I was not there.

Having spent literally years at sea, the biggest fear I have cruising today is the panic by passengers during an event. So far it seems the crew did an outstanding job protecting everyone, by keeping them calm as well as minimizing injuries.

However I must say some of the questions, comments, suggestions made by certain posters are simply amazing and illogical. For instance, there was no need to worry about life vests or muster stations during this event. The safest place was on this ship, period. Simply put, any decision of leaving the ship via life vest or lifeboat would have resulted in death. Thank goodness the passengers on this voyage listened to their captain, stayed calm and made it through the event. They now have a sea story to tell which could make any crusty old sailor cringe.

We seem to agree!