February 13th on Anthem?

Lizcourt

I know that the focus is still (as it should be) on those unlucky folks actually on the Anthem as it heads home early, but since my family and I are booked on the February 13th sailing, I thought I would start this thread for any news on whether that sailing will be affected. For some reason, the CC Board community seems to get all the important news first, and this will give y'all a place to post it. So far, RCCL hasn't said anything, but looking at the pictures of the damage, its hard to believe that she'll be fit and ready to go in just a few days.

Here's keeping our fingers crossed (and keeping a thought and prayer for those now aboard the Anthem!).

When our Jan 25th Anthem sailing was postponed to the 26th because of hurricane Jonas, we didn't find out until the Friday (ship was supposed to leave on the Monday). Likely too soon to tell, they will probably assess the damage on Wednesday and you will learn more then about your sailing.

That said, we didn't get an official email from RCI until late the night before we embarked about them completely switching the itinerary around. However that information didn't affect our travel plans to the port so that is probably why it was left until the last minute, if the dates changes you will know a few days in advance.

Enjoy your cruise!

My husband called RC today and was told that they really have no idea yet, and hopefully will notify us no later than Wednesday about our Saturday departure. Fingers crossed they are able to get back on track that quickly!!

...So it doesn't get buried! Really hope we receive some kind of acknowledgement today from RC. If we have any hope of booking something else if they cancel, we need a few days notice...

I'm only watching with casual interest and recognize your concern. I would SPECULATE its hard for the onboard crew to figure out how much time they need till the existing passengers depart. My pure guess is Royal will evaluate in person and update us around the end of the day Wednesday. I imagine some people may begin traveling towards the area Thursday.

The earliest you'll hear anything is late tomorrow after she arrives back to Cape Liberty. I'd imagine a full assessment will be needed and a decision won't be reached until Thursday.

Wednesday sounds too soon to complete the evaluation. As for cosmetic things, at least they have time to order things to be waiting for them at arrival.

I would wait till Wednesday afternoon and onward. IMO I heard they will be back in Nj by 6 to 7 am. By the time everyone get off it will be likely 10 am. I am sure there will be trucks load of all the stuff they need are on standby. They can work on this ship 24 hours straight because there is no resident surrounding it. I know there is resident that is about a quarter mile away but they probably won't noticed it. With all those custom built items, I think there is a spare somewhere in storage because in case something like this happen. Those thing can get on slower then stuff need to fix the ceiling. Saturday will be a close call depend on how they need to do this.

I know that the focus is still (as it should be) on those unlucky folks actually on the Anthem as it heads home early, but since my family and I are booked on the February 13th sailing, I thought I would start this thread for any news on whether that sailing will be affected. For some reason, the CC Board community seems to get all the important news first, and this will give y'all a place to post it. So far, RCCL hasn't said anything, but looking at the pictures of the damage, its hard to believe that she'll be fit and ready to go in just a few days.

Here's keeping our fingers crossed (and keeping a thought and prayer for those now aboard the Anthem!).

What pics are you looking at. All I've seen is some cosmetic stuff that will easily be fixed/cleaned up for your cruise. Pics of bar stools turned over and all the booze still in place. Call rci if you are worried.

Edited by setsail

While there might be some things to fix, having the ship proceed with the sailing while not everything is done is not unusual. Many times when a ship comes out new or from dry-dock, there are people on the ship still working on things. My sense is that the ship will proceed as planned on the next sailing but you may have people on board still fixing things.

Called Royal Caribbean today - woman was very nice and honest on the phone.

She had no thinking that the cruise Saturday would be delayed - emphasis on getting back to Bayonne and confirming what they already are 95% convinced of - damage is superficial and inconvenient, but something that could be managed in a day or two.

She did allude to them not wanting to affect ANOTHER cruise's itinerary and to manage everything within the current cruise's timeframe and get ready for Saturday morning.

Edited by mike10778

Sen. Bill Nelson is launching a federal investigation into that voyage.. I wonder if the cruise is "repaired" by Saturday if it will in fact be able to sail. This is our first cruise and I'm so disappointed..

Don't worry about an ignorant senator who can do nothing. I am highly confident that all will be well with the ship and you will sail on Saturday. Maybe there will be some minor repairs / replacements carried out while you are on board, but nothing to fret / inconvenience you. Do not let ignorant scare mongers get to you.

Trust me, there is already work taking place on board the ship to clean up the mess, repair replace, and so on. Add to that a couple of days in Bayonne to do more.

You'll be fine.

I assume that nobody knows yet if we are going next week. If it is just clean up, etc., we will go. We may even have repair crews on board and some things may be closed but we are going.

But, if they find any structural damage when they get back to port and inspect the ship or if there are any vital systems damaged that cannot be fixed in time, we don't go. I doubt they have any idea right now.

i know that the focus is still (as it should be) on those unlucky folks actually on the anthem as it heads home early, but since my family and i are booked on the february 13th sailing, i thought i would start this thread for any news on whether that sailing will be affected. For some reason, the cc board community seems to get all the important news first, and this will give y'all a place to post it. So far, rccl hasn't said anything, but looking at the pictures of the damage, its hard to believe that she'll be fit and ready to go in just a few days.

Here's keeping our fingers crossed (and keeping a thought and prayer for those now aboard the anthem!).

dont worry. The ship is still floating. You will leave on time. They have already lost money. AOS may not be 100% but leave you will. May be some issues during your cruise but they need your $$. Very poor communication indeed. Many ways to get the word out to you guys sailing on saturday.

Edited by NIATPAC29

I drove by the terminal around noon and there wasn't a soul or a truck there. will check later.

The Bayonne dock does have facilities to fix large ships....not sure if it could handle a major fix on the Anthem. Presently, there is a big USN ship there getting fixed.

What pics are you looking at. All I've seen is some cosmetic stuff that will easily be fixed/cleaned up for your cruise. Pics of bar stools turned over and all the booze still in place. Call rci if you are worried.

How about the pic where it looks like every other glass railing panel on the upper pool decks is broken? or the ones of the guys on deck sweeping up so much glass it looks like snow?

These aren't cosmetic things.

How about the pic where it looks like every other glass railing panel on the upper pool decks is broken? or the ones of the guys on deck sweeping up so much glass it looks like snow?

Lol that is EXACTLY what is considered cosmetic things. Glass is sooooo minor. The ship was designed to take much much worse. Glass railing is not essential to sail. Plywood could easily suffice if glass wasn't available which it will be. 100% you wont even know anything happened the week before. The elevators would be my biggest concern but I'm sure those are just shut down as a precautionary things as they will need to be reinspected if any alarms went off in them. Not an expert so this is all IMO. But mostly seems like common sense to anyone with engineering experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

That glass (which actually is cosmetic damage) is from the Suite Sun Deck. They could easily just close that deck is worse came to worse.