February 13th on Anthem?

Lizcourt

Just called RCCL to inquire if there were any changes as of yet. Customer service rep said as of now nothing has changed.

In past incidents Royal has posted updates on the front page of their website. They usually appear under a banner heading providing advisory notices on specific ships and/or cruises.

1) Ship will either go to Newport or Freeport Bahamas for an unscheduled DD. Divers will be looking at the ships hull over next day or two.

2) Capt. A will be SO FIRED.

3) RCI needs good press on this one, even though the the first lawsuits will be filed in a matter of days.

Of course this is MHO. However, you will most likely NOT be sailing the Anthem this week.

Edited by Golfin55

1) Ship will either go to Newport or Freeport Bahamas for an unscheduled DD. Divers will be looking at the ships hull over next day or two.

3) RCI needs good press on this one, even though the the first lawsuits will be filed in a matter of days.

Of course this is MHO. However, you will most likely NOT be sailing the Anthem this week.

You know this how? What a crock!

Why do people make up stuff? What value does it bring?

Seriously, people, this is just plain stupid.:rolleyes:

JC

If I were on the ship I would not ask all of these questions of an officer. They have enough to deal with.

All you really want to know is if the ship will sail on Saturday, or do you wish all these answers so you can make a determination? I would prefer the judgement of the captain, chief engineer, etc.

Now is not the time for arm chair quarterbacks.

My opinion still is that the ship will sail on Saturday. We shall see.

LOL!!!!

Are you just inexperienced with ships, delusional, clueless, or all three?

It's has taken a turn at CC where these types of remarks just make for sad humor.

Pass the popcorn, please! :D

No one knows the answer yet as to if the ship will be sailing this weekend therefore there is nothing but speculation. Somehow speculation is okay if it's something that seems to agree with your thoughts only it appears. :confused: [not to any one poster but to many complaining about speculative posts].

We have been on the ship since Jan.26th doing 4 btb cruises. We were told erroneously earlier that the next cruise was cancelled. The entertainers, Cruise Director and a supervisor from Customer Service ENSURED us that their latest update is that THERE WILL BE A 2/13 CRUISE. No propeller was damaged AS RUMORED. Repairs can be done at Bayonne. Royal is putting us btb cruisers up at a hotel in Manhattan for two nights. HOPE THIS IS TRUE!!!

I disagree ---

1) Golfin doesn't have anything to support his statements, and I am not even going to waste typing.

2) Loubetti -- I have been on plenty of cruises, and the officers walking around (which mostly are junior ones) have plenty of down-time (you see them in bars at night, right?). I would prefer answers to specific questions because them saying "yeah the ship is likely to sail or I dont know" are somewhat meaningless. Them saying "the starboard azipod isnt operating normally" (NOTE I AM MAKING THIS UP AND HAVE NO REASON TO BELIEVE SUCH IS THE CASE) would suggest it much less likely we are sailing.

The truth is that RCL doesn't know for sure, but they have an idea. If they know there is a mechanical issue, you can bet they (meaning Miami) aren't going to admit it with 5K passengers still on board. If they know that the stabalizers and Azipods are working completely normally, then they should say so and the chances of keeping our cruise are that much higher.

Love Cruises,

As your name implies, you guys must really love cruising. Hats off to you guys for the eagerness to get back on the horse. Somewhat surprised though that people would do 4 back-to-backs on a NY based ship -- but of course everyone has their reasons and you guys must too.

Thanks for the info -- it is more info then those of us on land have gotten. If you get a chance, see if you can get confirmation of those things from an officer type as well (as opposed to just the cruise staff).

Finally, note that it is going to be VERY cold in NYC for the next three days (highs in the teens, so dress/plan accordingly).

Hoping to see you on board next week!

We have been on the ship since Jan.26th doing 4 btb cruises. We were told erroneously earlier that the next cruise was cancelled. The entertainers, Cruise Director and a supervisor from Customer Service ENSURED us that their latest update is that THERE WILL BE A 2/13 CRUISE. No propeller was damaged AS RUMORED. Repairs can be done at Bayonne. Royal is putting us btb cruisers up at a hotel in Manhattan for two nights. HOPE THIS IS TRUE!!!

It sounds like they are handling communication with the BtB cruisers quite well! Thank you for sharing.

I disagree ---

1) Golfin doesn't have anything to support his statements, and I am not even going to waste typing.

2) Loubetti -- I have been on plenty of cruises, and the officers walking around (which mostly are junior ones) have plenty of down-time (you see them in bars at night, right?). I would prefer answers to specific questions because them saying "yeah the ship is likely to sail or I dont know" are somewhat meaningless. Them saying "the starboard azipod isnt operating normally" (NOTE I AM MAKING THIS UP AND HAVE NO REASON TO BELIEVE SUCH IS THE CASE) would suggest it much less likely we are sailing.

The truth is that RCL doesn't know for sure, but they have an idea. If they know there is a mechanical issue, you can bet they (meaning Miami) aren't going to admit it with 5K passengers still on board. If they know that the stabalizers and Azipods are working completely normally, then they should say so and the chances of keeping our cruise are that much higher.

Well, I disagree with you on this. Frankly, if you are on board the ship, the captain will advise you of what you NEED to know. Otherwise it is none of your business. As a passenger, you are likely to be able to determine nothing from what an officer tells you. Such information could also lead to false rumors being spread based on what arm chair mariners make of it.

If captain, I would tell my officers what they can and cannot reveal, if not just put them under a gag order!

I disagree ---

Don't mess with Lou. He has been hit by a 100 foot wave while onboard

a true ocean liner. He can fly a plane. He knows his stuff.

According to RCI's Vicki Freed in an article posted by Charles4515 in another thread, the cruise on the 13th will sail as scheduled.:)

http://www.travelmarketreport.com/articles/TMR-Exclusive-As-Anthem-Prepares-to-Sail-Again-Royal-Caribbean-Adds-New-Shoreside-Team-to-Watch-the-Weather

Thanks for sharing this. A very good article! I think it does appear the RCI plans to use this experience as a learning opportunity and improve their weather monitoring capabilities and expand the scope of precautions to include the new shoreside team. Seems like a good response. Clearly she admits it the sailing was a mistake and what I find refreshing is that RCI is not wasting any time looking at ways to try to prevent a reoccurence. As for the Captain, it sounds as if he did an amazing job of managing a very dangerous and scary circumstance. He clearly feels really bad about how things turned out. I hope the current passengers all make it home safe and sound and I hope the next cruise is able to go as planned. Sounds from this article like it will. And likely, as bad as this was, it just made RCI more safety concious and resulted in some positive changes.

Just called RCCL to inquire if there were any changes as of yet. Customer service rep said as of now nothing has changed.

My family is scheduled on the 13th sailing...

You guys are on the February 13, Anthem sailing too?!

We have a lot of nifty events planned.

Come join our rousing Roll Call Here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2151613&page=49

Jonathan

Lou,

I wouldn't doubt that it would be a good idea [for the Captain and RCI] for the Captain to tell the officers not to discuss the operational status of the ship. But we all know Captains (including this one) do not always do the right thing.

If one of the pods are not working correctly and the Captain determined that such was "none of the business" of the 5,000 lives on board the ship, I along with at least 5,000 other people would strongly beg to differ.

Further, if an officer did indicate that one of the pods was only working say 50%, how would that lead to a false rumor (assuming he was telling the truth, and why would that officer lie?)

Generally Lou, I have agreed with you, but you really should look at your statement. The captain is in charge, but this is not the Navy and the folks on board that ship have a right to know the operational condition of the ship that they have been sailing back up the east coast for the last three days.

Very good chance the February 13th cruise does not happen. Ship probably headed towards dry dock. More information forthcoming as early as tomorrow...

You have a source for this? :rolleyes:

Kind of sad and pathetic don't you think?:rolleyes:

JC

Lou,

I wouldn't doubt that it would be a good idea [for the Captain and RCI] for the Captain to tell the officers not to discuss the operational status of the ship. But we all know Captains (including this one) do not always do the right thing.

If one of the pods are not working correctly and the Captain determined that such was "none of the business" of the 5,000 lives on board the ship, I along with at least 5,000 other people would strongly beg to differ.

Further, if an officer did indicate that one of the pods was only working say 50%, how would that lead to a false rumor (assuming he was telling the truth, and why would that officer lie?)

Generally Lou, I have agreed with you, but you really should look at your statement. The captain is in charge, but this is not the Navy and the folks on board that ship have a right to know the operational condition of the ship that they have been sailing back up the east coast for the last three days.

I still don't understand. So, what if there IS a pod issue? What do you think this might mean? Are you a pod expert?

What is this "right to know", since everyone will be off the ship in less than 24 hrs? If it is not safety related, then why does this need to be announced if true.

Please elaborate.

Hey, it could be worse. You could be on an AA Boeing 777, 38,000' over the middle of the north Atlantic, when a "grinding" sound, followed by a burning smell, and a bit of "smoke" permeates through the floor. The captain denied anything was wrong, and I did not blame him, as I new he knew what happened. However, who needs panic? I went back to watch my movie, and it happened again, and a third time.

We landed safely at JFK, our destination, and it turned out to be an issue with an A/C unit in the belly, which I later learned from a pilot friend at AA.

Frankly, when I am in command (airplanes), I don't want pax determining safety or operation based on what I tell them. I tell them what they need to know, not what they want to know.

Bottom line: Anthem either departs on Saturday, or it does not.