February 13th on Anthem?

Lizcourt

I agreed with you until that final (underlined) claim.

You understand that decisions like that are made in conjunction with the Miami office, right? It was a mistake or miscalculation - simple as that.

hes directly responsible for passenger lives, not someone in the C suite. and if miami told him to proceed he though he shouldn't have then he should have been fired and taking them to court.. what jury is going to rule against a captain when he says i didnt want to put 6000 people at risk?

The port cam is amazing after all the talking here and just to see the huge ship and hear them working a bit. When you look at the size and just think about what that Captain did in that storm. Just have to hand it to all who went through that rough of a ride...that was something and I personally think Captain Claus is just awesome steering it the way he did...these are pleasure ships..not ocean liners..just amazes me. Thanks for posting port cam.

Edited by sjn911

Just listened to this interview by a passenger just off Anthem. It was quite refreshing (if you can get past the 2 dj's interviewing him) after listening and watching and reading all the negative nonsense all week long. You might have to copy and paste but it's worth it.

http://myradio929.com/2016/02/12/exclusive-interview-with-radio-92-9-employee-who-was-on-doomed-cruise-ship/

Left azipod apparently was indeed knocked out during the storm. But Royal is still saying they'll fix it in time for sailing Saturday.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2016/02/12/anthem-of-the-seas-inspection/

Incidentally, I'm not sure all this "putting the lives of 6000 passengers at risk" talk is warranted. I'm no old time sea salt myself, but I'd guess there is a big difference between conditions bad enough that is unacceptable to the passengers, which they definitely had, and conditions bad enough that the ship was really in danger, which I don't know was the case.

In fact the Coast Guard spokesman in the above article is quoted as saying "“She was in no danger of sinking, I can tell you that with confidence."

Left azipod apparently was indeed knocked out during the storm.

In fact the Coast Guard spokesman in the above article is quoted as saying "“She was in no danger of sinking, I can tell you that with confidence."

Had they needed to continue to hold the bow into those winds for a longer period of time and the pod was out, the situation could have degraded from uncomfortable but manageable to catastrophic very, very quickly with any further limitations on power and control.

Had they needed to continue to hold the bow into those winds for a longer period of time and the pod was out, the situation could have degraded from uncomfortable but manageable to catastrophic very, very quickly with any further limitations on power and control.

It makes me think 2 azipods and one fixed pod (3 per ship) seems more desireable than just 2 azipods. No expert, just my thoughts.

Just letting you know that there are many commercial ships, large cargo ships that only have one pod or screw. They sail completely fine. Anthem with the power she has only needs two pods. Her pods are more powerful than the Freedom Class and Voyguer Class and that is why the only need two compared to three.

It makes me think 2 azipods and one fixed pod (3 per ship) seems more desireable than just 2 azipods. No expert, just my thoughts.

Mo propellers, mo better. But then again, many long distance tankers and cargo vessel have a single propeller.

As long as the ability to steer is maintained, you stay relatively safe. You don't need to make headway to have steering capability. What *caused* the damage? No one here knows, but it is pretty safe to believe there were instances where the propellers did not have clean water, or any water, to bite into at all, which causes momentary but rapid changes in speed of the propeller and is pure hell on the rest of the drivetrain.

At least I'm more inclined to believe it's not a design flaw, but surpassing a design limitation, so with a longer storm duration it's just a matter of time before you surpass the design limitations on pod 2 as well.

Surely 6-8 knots is not the maximum a Quantum class ship will achieve on one pod alone. I can't imagine any company would order such a ship. At least other ships with 3 pods and 1 pod down have been able to maintain 70%-80% of normal speeds.

It's impressive that they can do this kind of service to the azipod without a dry dock.

I think it is impressive too. As well as the sort of sophistication in sensors and monitoring equipment that can quickly identify WHAT has failed; and I am sure engineers can then model wear/degradation/performance off that data.

Just letting you know that there are many commercial ships, large cargo ships that only have one pod or screw. They sail completely fine. Anthem with the power she has only needs two pods. Her pods are more powerful than the Freedom Class and Voyguer Class and that is why the only need two compared to three.

Understood, and this is when we need our resident marine experts to chime in. I suspect that the safety rules are different for cargo ships vs cruise ships. I'm pretty sure I remember the Captain saying something about needing to have two generators running when approaching the dock. Maybe is also has something to do with the fact that cruise ships generally don't use tugs.

Remember that the cargo ship El Faro went down to the bottom with all on board, during Hurricane Joaquim, last fall.

Remember that the cargo ship El Faro went down to the bottom with all on board, during Hurricane Joaquim, last fall.

If you remember the whole incident. The ship ran into a storm just like Anthem did. El Faro lost complete propulsion and started taking on water. However, Anthem never lost power and never lost its propulsion. She turned off her disabled pod after the storm when it was found out that it had encountered damage, and to prevent further damage. Could the ship have sailed on the disabled pod all they way home, of course it could but it would have chanced causing further damage to the pod.

The same thing happened on Allure, it was a clutch on her, but a bearing. To prevent further wear on the bearing they decide to run it at reduced power.