Cruising with cancer

luv-my-kids

If you feel strong enough to travel and your doctor gave you permission, GO!!!

My best friend was a type 1 diabetic and last year in early February developed a heart problem that put him in the hospital about a month before we were scheduled to sail. Originally our plan was to make a 4 day drive to Fort Lauderdale and go on an 12 day cruise.

As we were driving rather than flying, his doctor gave him permission to go. We went and had a fantastic time on his last cruise. Sadly, he passed away in September at the age of 59. Had he chosen not to go, he and we would have missed out on a great trip together. He is gone, but we have some wonderful memories.

I cruised about 8 yrs. ago while in the middle of chemo for breast cancer.  My doctors said I could skip a week of the chemo with no adverse results.  It was a family cruise and I did not  want to miss it.  I went (wig and all) and had a great time.  I am happy to report that I am now more than 8 years cancer free. 😉

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Rala said:

I am happy to report that I am now more than 8 years cancer free. 😉

You're my hero, so happy for you!

~

This thread is four years old and I do hope OP is doing well. Having said that, I replied earlier on the first page and my reply stands. Sadly I am battling again, but my oncologist has declared me "stable" and so DH and I will continue to cruise (from ports close to home) as long as I am able.

Remember, life is precious and unknown... making memories is particularly important, but I would also add that this doesn't mean they have to be made while on a cruise. 😊

• Like 2

Agree with those who say it's hard to give advice as there are many different kind of cancer and kinds of treatment. 

Over 10 years ago, I was treated for breast cancer; stage 1 but because it was an agressive type, I had surgery, chemo and radiation. 

My chemo was once every 3 weeks. I was able to schedule it so some week long business meetings fell during the 3rd week of the chemo cycle when my immune system & energy would be best. The meetings were all in the US so flights weren't terribly long and I wasn't far from medical care. I skipped one outside the US.

Because of the danger of getting an infection when immune system was depressed, I think I'd hesitate to do a cruise that had sea days or other times far from medical care (on board care can only do so much) while on chemo.

I took a vacation to eastern Europe a couple of months after being treated for melanoma.  Although right now I'm clear of the disease, I've been told to expect it to come back.  I'm not going to stop living my life waiting for that point in time.

• Like 2

On 2/1/2020 at 9:56 PM, OCruisers said:

I have an oxygen unit that needs the batteries charged often.  

It'll  be my first time with needing the oxygen so am worried about how it'll all work out.  

Who did you contact on Princess to get permission to bring the things on with you?  

Help!  LuLu

A reply from someone who knows would be GREATLY appreciated.

LuLu

On 2/3/2020 at 9:47 PM, Langley Cruisers said:

With respect, for what items do you need permission? I have seen many cruisers use oxygen on board.

Perhaps you might call Princess?

On 2/4/2020 at 7:13 AM, Slugsta said:

I suggest that you contact the 'Special needs' department at Princess and they should be able to help.

In the case of oxygen on Princess the contact is the Medical Department.

I'm not  taking oxygen;  I'm taking a machine that makes oxygen as needed for immediate use.  No oxygen is stored but the batteries do need to be charged.

I keep getting somewhat different answers depending on who I talk to in the Medical Department so I'd love to hear from any of you who have actually taken this sort of device on a Princess ship.  

On 2/1/2020 at 9:56 PM, OCruisers said:

Thanks for posting this.  I have an oxygen unit that needs the batteries charged often.  

It'll  be my first time with needing the oxygen so am worried about how it'll all work out.  

Who did you contact on Princess to get permission to bring the things on with you?  

Help!  LuLu

You may wish to create a new thread concerning your POC and questions you have concerning the batteries and Princess (I feel it is probably across the board, as all cruise lines approve and allow POC’s and batteries for them onboard), and place it on the disability board listed here:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/114-disabled-cruise-travel/

as this is an unrelated topic to this 2016 thread, and it would get more visibility and answers.