Anthem keeps docking us around

shaun07

It is hard to be nice when the posters on here are so rude and disrespectful. I'm not angry at all but I'm about to say something is great when it obviously is not.

Alas...

Cruise Critic 'used - to - be' a very informative and valuable source of information where fellow cruisers were treated with courtesy and mutual respect for their questions, experiences and/or opinions.....

As said above, they have been sailing from New Jersey for 12 years! Not new!

We have been sailing with Royal since 1988 and never found them not to be concerned with passenger safety and comfort. In 2013 we were on the Grandeur from Baltimore and ran into a bad storm in almost the same place as the Anthem and were thrown around for almost 24 hours. Storms happen in the Atlantic in both the winter and during hurricane season.

If you don't want to chance the weather than don't cruise from the Northeast - fly to Florida or don't cruise at all.

wow. really don't know what to think or say anymore. We were scheduled to dock in PC so not like they weren't prepared for us.

I'm wondering if they just wanted to get the ship back so they would have a couple of days to work on fixing things?

While I agree that Royal needs to hear from us about safety, I do not believe that the captain should automatically be fired. Decisions about routing and weather are made as part of a team with plenty of corporate input and Royal should look at their entire decision-making process. The skills of a captain such as Anthem's are not easily replaced.

Edited by njboyindc

Fellow posters - please ignore the troll. I have managed to do it - it's been beyond challenging. If you can't ignore, then please hit the red triangle. We might hit a record of complaints on this one.

I am interested in what those onboard are experiencing- not what land based "experts" and reluctant cruisers have to say.

Yes, terrific idea, go head and boycott along with the others you spoke of.....

Then we might have more knowledgeable and agreeable cruise mates on all our sailings! That would be a real pleasure:D along with sailing again with such a fine Master as Cpt. Claus!

Please stop attacking one another! The rest of us would like one thread not to get locked down!

Thank you

Reader

Alas...

Cruise Critic 'used - to - be' a very informative and valuable source of information where fellow cruisers were treated with courtesy and mutual respect for their questions, experiences and/or opinions.....

I've been seeing pictures and videos of a lot of passengers enjoying the last two days on the ship. Shows, Love and Marriage, Dance Parties, good meals in the restaurants. So yes it wasn't fun and very scary for a day, but it looks like there are a lot of people making the best of it and having a wonderful time on their free shorter cruise.

I'm on the same sailing as you, and I hope by the time we board, you leave a lot of your negative feeling at home.

I'm hoping there will be nothing to be negative about! Looking forward to seeing you on board!!

My family was on anthem of the seas, this past week. I think royal needs to be more aware of passengers safety and avoiding storms. I think the only way for royal to hear us, is if all disgruntled passengers, boycott RCL until changes are made, such as the captain being fired. And addressing and making new regulations on how to handle storms. Look i have heard from many of people on board that captain thought he could out run this storm, and storm blew up and they got caught. Many meteorologists have stated this storm was expected. We passenger sneed to demand better safety. It can't alway be big cooperations dictating there bottom line to us. Remember without us, they would have empty ships. I have been loyal to royal for over 15 yrs, but I don't want to see this happen again, new jersey is a new port and they should set up different regulations and more training for there captains.

I don't think the captain should automatically be fired (though if RCI decides that he was negligent in some way, it could happen), but at least you seem to be reporting what I think is the truth. Based on the forecasts they had of this known storm system, the captain thought he could outrun it, but it came up faster and more intense than expected, and they ended up caught in the middle of it.

Royal Caribbean cares about safety. No one wants to lose a life due to a storm--and thankfully no one did. This storm was worse than originally forecast. The last things any cruise company wants are to have serious injury or damage.

On the other hand, I remember the despairing cries of people whose itineraries have been changed due to storms.

I have been following the Anthem stories and praying for the safe return of all aboard.

I joined CC to hopefully get some tips and insight for my upcoming cruise. While I have found some posts to be helpful, I've mostly found this a place for unhappy people to spread their poison. I don't think I've read a single post that hasn't turned into "who can outpost who" contest.

I'm going to go on my cruise and try to enjoy it no matter what the conditions. Hopefully the venomous people on these posts won't be on it.

Good luck to all on the Anthem and that everyone returns safely.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You will find that while the "regulars" are on here 24/7 defending their side, some loyalist and others anti RCI they actually make up a very small percentage of actual passengers. For that, the world is a better place.

6 1/2 knots is very slow, slower than 1/3 of expected. Sounds like more propellsion damage than we are aware of. I hope all passengers and the ship are OK.
I was wondering that myself

That's possible, but it may also be that they're just going at that speed, because it does them no good to arrive at NY Harbor before the pilot is there to meet them.
Pilots should be readily available in a large port like NY/NJ. The dock space looks empty on Marine traffic and the webcam. The weather looks fine on the port webcam. So whats up?

I'm wondering if they just wanted to get the ship back so they would have a couple of days to work on fixing things?

I really don't know but it wasn't for our benefit. Thankfully the seas have been kind to us today so hopefully the sea sick people got a break.

It will be interesting to see the reaction of people when they got off. I think the majority will have been scared but got past it and ended up enjoying themselves.

Fellow posters - please ignore the troll. I have managed to do it - it's been beyond challenging. If you can't ignore, then please hit the red triangle. We might hit a record of complaints on this one.

I am interested in what those onboard are experiencing- not what land based "experts" and reluctant cruisers have to say.

1. I'm not a troll.

2. For what reason would you hit the red triangle? I haven't called anyone names, insulted anyone. I simply comment with my take on the situation. Just because you don't agree does not mean I don't have the right to comment.

There is nothing wrong with the captain. Everyone is safe including the ship. We just sailed with him. Did you bother to look at the storm on the radar? Have you been on other ships during storms? The storm grew in intensity faster than expected. Boycott all you want, saves more room for the rest of us.

I really don't know but it wasn't for our benefit. Thankfully the seas have been kind to us today so hopefully the sea sick people got a break.

It will be interesting to see the reaction of people when they got off. I think the majority will have been scared but got past it and ended up enjoying themselves.

Shaun, I think there will be a wide spectrum of reactions and opinions among your fellow passengers when they get off, and many will feel differently again in 1 to 3 weeks. It's pretty common to have a bit of a roller-coaster of feelings after an intense experience. I hope you will let us all know when you are finally on dry land, and again once you cross your own threshhold at home. You have many people on here wishing you well!

I'm sorry, this is all I can think about when I see these threads on CC

wirXNSF.gif

Look, the Anthem was caught in an unfortunate spot, but demanding a boycott until the captain gets fired before the ship can even get back to port? Lets settle down with the kneejerk overreactions a bit.

Edited by Beardface

One thing you have to remember is that this is nothing new. Almost every year on cc during hurricane season these threads crop up. There are many many seasoned cruisers on cc and many of us have been through storms like this, more than once. I just looked up our paper work from our rhapsody cruise back in 99 where the captain started telling us a day and a half before the storm that we would be sailing right smack into it, could not be avoided. Much smaller ship and we had 35' waves and lots of cosmetic damage. No one complained that I remember and no one got OBC or the cruise fare back or future cruise.

A day later most all was cleaned up and you could not even tell she went through a storm. She got back Vancouver, loaded new passengers, and proceeded on a 14 day to Hawaii

It will happen again, in fact, try next hurricane season

Another thing, cruising past cape Hatteras in winter can be a gamble, my parents were world travelers for many many years and the only place they would not take a cruise was one going by the graveyard. They tried it twice.

Will rci lose some cruisers over this, you bet ya, but no affect on the cruise line what so ever

Some leave because of meatloaf or concrete beds

Edited by setsail

Oh, please, please, can we end this nonsense!

If you cannot deal with bad weather, which may sometimes go extreme despite the captain's best efforts, then you should not be cruising.

Sorry folks, but these ships are not always rock-steady floating resorts, malls and amusement parks. "Ship" happens and, again, if you cannot fathom such and deal with it, then I respectfully ask that you stay off cruise ships and try another form of vacation.

Otherwise boycott Royal, and free up a cabin for someone else to book, and someone WILL! :cool:

Hopefully she goes in the cruise, then dissapear for another 10 years.

Why just because you disagree with her and dont like her opinion. You dont always have to agree with other people but at the very least you should respect that everyone has their opinion and beliefs. How else could Donald Trump be doing so well in the polls!