better Lido coffee dispensers

JennysUncle

Last month on the Oosterdam and the Nieuw Amsterdam we found new coffee dispensers in the Lido. These are no-frills, just a spigot, and replace the awful push-button-selector machines that we encountered on the Oosterdam last year and on several other ships. (A Lido manager said that they were known as the 7-11 machines -- broken 7 out of 11 days.) No more 'out of service' or cups underfilled or overfilled. Looks like the center unit is a boiler and hot-water dispenser, with a swing arm over the top for a brew basket in each side unit. The coffee tasted better too.

0116_0834_B6863.jpg.bf1a263f6c7b4f86d56ad57d1db3d625.jpg

We fondly remember when HAL used "Seattle's Best" coffee beans. But that was eliminated in favor of lower cost options....several years ago. Improving dispensers is a positive step, but we would also like to see the use of better/richer coffee beans.

Hank

Same goes for the TEA! I fondly remember our very first HAL cruise where they still had their own HAL brand tea which was very good. Nowadays I'm happy if they at least offer PG tips...

But back to the subject - we found the coffee in the Lido to be very good if made freshly on these WMF coffee machines ( love my latte macchiato..) but it was sometimes awful when offered out of the regular coffee pots. The best coffee we had was during the Indonesian afternoon tea on "Zaandam".

Is the coffee in the Lido fresh brewed?

I know that some cruise lines use a concentrate rather than brew coffee for their buffets, preferring to charge extra for brewed coffee.

I hope that is not the case on HAL. I love my brewed coffee in the morning and throughout the day!

All comments and observations would be appreciated!

Edited by Boiler Cruiser

Is the coffee in the Lido fresh brewed?

I know that some cruise lines use a concentrate rather than brew coffee for their buffets, preferring to charge extra for brewed coffee.

I hope that is not the case on HAL. I love my brewed coffee in the morning and throughout the day!

All comments and observations would be appreciated!

Yes. They use Beukenhorst (might be spelling that wrong) which is a Dutch coffee company in the Lido and in room service

We fondly remember when HAL used "Seattle's Best" coffee beans. But that was eliminated in favor of lower cost options....several years ago. Improving dispensers is a positive step, but we would also like to see the use of better/richer coffee beans.

Hank

Must have been quite a long time ago. I've been on HAL since 2006 and it has always been the same beans during that time.

Last month on the Oosterdam and the Nieuw Amsterdam we found new coffee dispensers in the Lido. These are no-frills' date=' just a spigot, and replace the awful push-button-selector machines that we encountered on the Oosterdam last year and on several other ships. (A Lido manager said that they were known as the 7-11 machines -- broken 7 out of 11 days.) No more 'out of service' or cups underfilled or overfilled. Looks like the center unit is a boiler and hot-water dispenser, with a swing arm over the top for a brew basket in each side unit. The coffee tasted better too.

Thank you for the information.

Love the comment -- broken 7 out of 11 days. :D

Must have been quite a long time ago. I've been on HAL since 2006 and it has always been the same beans during that time.

Yeah, it might have been prior to 2006! We have been cruising a long time :). And we are not singling out HAL for so-so coffee since its almost a universal problem with all the lines. The only good coffee we have had in recent years is at the International Cafe which is on some (not all) Princess ships. This venue brews small batch excellent coffee (from Lavazza beans) but one needs to pay a small fee or have a coffee card.

On HAL we find our self shunning the Lido coffee in favor of cappuccino (with 1 or 2 extra shots of Espresso) we buy at Explorations. As to tea (somebody mentioned they miss the HAL branded tea) my DW is a tea drinking...but she does not go on any trip or cruise without bringing a good supply of her favorite tea bags. Coffee is a bit more complicated :).

Hank